What's new

How do you like your martini?

Proper gin:vermouth ratio for a martini?

• 2:1

• 3:1

• 4:1

• 5:1

• 6:1

• Vermouth will never touch my gin.

• A martini is made with gin?

• There's a ratio involved with my apple chocolatini?

• I hate martinis.

• Art is king

Results are only viewable after voting.
My method is decidedly imprecise: pour in a small bit of vermouth over the ice in the shaker. Shake a few times then pour out before adding the gin and shaking/stirring in earnest. Works for me, quick, and a bit more "showy" IMHO.

I make mine 3:1, but I will try it at 2:1 next time seeing as a couple of people have now recommended that ratio.

I use Plymouth gin with Noilly Prat vermouth. I haven't tried a huge range of gins or vermouths but I really like these two, Plymouth gin is a bit smoother than the London styles so this may explain my higher ratio.

One thing I never understood was this machismo idea of using as little vermouth as possible, it is in a martini for a reason! Also, the dry part of a dry martini is from using dry vermouth (as opposed to original recipes using sweet vermouth), it isn't to do with the ratio.

I also stir mine, of course.

One thing I never understood was this machismo idea of using as little vermouth as possible, it is in a martini for a reason! Also, the dry part of a dry martini is from using dry vermouth (as opposed to original recipes using sweet vermouth), it isn't to do with the ratio.

Honestly, I never understood the notion that adjusting what amounts to a half- or third-measure of vermouth makes enough of a difference in the alcoholic strength of a drink to for anyone to care. Surely it can make a considerable difference in taste, but that's a personal preference issue and ought to have nothing to do with machismo.

Honestly, I never understood the notion that adjusting what amounts to a half- or third-measure of vermouth makes enough of a difference in the alcoholic strength of a drink to for anyone to care. Surely it can make a considerable difference in taste, but that's a personal preference issue and ought to have nothing to do with machismo.

I came across slightly judgmentally in my original post, I only meant those who use as little vermouth as possible for a challenge. If it is done for taste then it is of course perfectly reasonable.

I actually make my Martinis the exact same way I make my Manhattans.
6:1 shaken.
No olive juice added(barf), and usually a garlic or jalapeno stuffed olive.

Note: No, I do not use any kind of olives in my Manhattans.

I tried my best to like the martini but no matter what I just cannot enjoy the experience of basically just drinking straight gin with a little vermouth which knocks the alcohol content down to maybe 35%.

I took an interest and experimented a lot with single malt scotch, mixed drinks, etc. but in the end I find that really I just cannot bring myself to enjoy the feeling of drinking something so strong, and the burn and choke of 40% ethanol going down my throat.

I guess I'll be a beer man, but there's enough variety there to last a lifetime too so I'll do alright.

M

modern man

I like my martini the same as I like a woman.

Cold and .....

But no Vermouth for me.

I haven't figured out the right ratio yet, but each time I make one the amount of vermouth decreases.

I make mine 3:1, but I will try it at 2:1 next time seeing as a couple of people have now recommended that ratio.

I use Plymouth gin with Noilly Prat vermouth. I haven't tried a huge range of gins or vermouths but I really like these two, Plymouth gin is a bit smoother than the London styles so this may explain my higher ratio.

I also stir mine, of course.

I agree with you on two fronts here.

1. Plymouth makesa great martini.
2. Use as much or as little vermouth as you prefer.

I add just a splash of Vermouth, and then a few grains of garlic salt. Shake with ice, then strain. I use whatever olive I have on hand, like them all. Also add a drop or two of olive brine.

My preference is 5:1. I also don't like dirty Martinis to the point that I even rinse the olives.

And, as the OP is aware, Martinis are made with gin. It's not just any concoction that's served in a Martini glass.

I prefer 6:1 because it is easy to measure - 2 oz gin and one tablespoon of vermouth. Stirred, not shaken. I also always use three olives.

Tim

I tried my best to like the martini but no matter what I just cannot enjoy the experience of basically just drinking straight gin with a little vermouth which knocks the alcohol content down to maybe 35%.

I don't think the purpose of the vermouth has anything to do with lowering the alcohol percentage. It is all about flavor. The ice lowers the alcohol percentage.

Tim

I voted 6:1 but I only put a quick spray of vermouth from a vermouth spray...just a kiss
The gin: Hendricks, Citadelle or Plymouth

Since people are naming their gins, for martinis I prefer regular Beefeater, regular Bombay, or regular Tanqueray, in that order. I enjoy a bit of a bite from my martinis.

Tim

Top Bottom