What's new

Let me tell you about an experiment

I did an experiment with 3 brushes I own. One, soon to be either disowned or re-knotted. I used a Vulfix Super Badger, a Vulfix Pure Badger, and a VDH pure boar.

Let's get this out of the way, I got the VDH in a kit and I only really wanted to soap and the bowl it came with so I wasn't looking for anything special with the brush. Boy was I right. For all three of these brushes I did the same thing, soaked them in water and used my favorite cream; CO Bigelow Premium Shave Cream. (if you haven't tried it and are looking for a cheap good cream...go to Bath and Body Works...ten bucks and it's my favorite cream period.) Well the stupid VDH brush sucked so bad, I didn't even bother trying to finish lathering in the bowl after 5 minutes. That one didn't hold water, barely held cream and like I think somebody said on the review, really did shed like it was still alive.

On to the Vulfix Pure Badger. This I was the most curious about because it was actually my first shaving brush 5 years ago but I got upgraded to the Super for Christmas 4.5 years ago. It's a bit smaller than my super, I don't have the specs on it but; although it held water well enough, once you put it to lathering it acted like there was no such thing on earth as water IN the brush. After working it for 2-3 minutes and adding a little water here and there, it lathers fine, feels great on my face and all in all is not a bad brush at all.

Next is the one I use all the time when I shave. It's my everyday brush and it's of course the Vulfix Super Badger. Quite a bit bigger than the pure and has a bit of white at the top of the bristles. It does hold water very well, it takes maybe a couple of extra drops of water in the lathering bowl depending on if I'm taking my time and lathers just perfectly.

What I've found out is this; in my experience of my experiment the amount of water the brush holds absolutely has an affect on the lathering process. If you're just sitting there not adding water to the bowl then you're going to struggle anyway. But it seems that the better the brush holds water, the easier it is to whip up lather for us non-face latherers.

The reason I did this little experiment was because I just couldn't believe that every time I went out of town, stayed with my grandpa for a weekend or camping that my lather process couldn't have changed that much. Hard water in some places yes, but with work, you should be able to build a lather no matter the kind of lather. So I came home and thought to myself, "hrmmm, it's not JUST the brush is it?!?" Keep in mind that this little test isn't completely conclusive and comprehensive, I think this is a good point to make. Having trouble with your traveling shaves? Taking a different brush? Think about perhaps taking you're good brush <gasp> or learning how to use your "travel" brush before you go. Hope this shed some light and gave some ideas! Later folks!

...needless to say, the VDH is getting re-knotted...

Top Bottom