What's new

Ever had a Razor that you didn't like, then one day it just Clicks? Smooth shaving.

Wow. Anyone here ever had a razor they recently bought and tried out a couple times. Switched blades around... but could never get a pleasant shave from? Then one day you return to it and everything falls into place? You find how the razor likes to be handled?

That happened to me today. With my Super Speed. I didn't seem to like my baseline blades that I depend on the most. Sharp Stainless. So I switched to Derby Extra. Eh... a little better but not all that great. It still would nick me in area's I never had a problem with before. Both blades are very gentle in all my other razors.

Today I just had one of the smoothest shaves I've ever had. Not THE Smoothest... but it was so pleasant I just kept attacking those touch up spots. Not one single nick or cut! I still prefer other razors... but now I feel that I can work with this one now. And improve with it.

Mine is an unpainted Super Speed Flare tip from 1966 in its case. I'm not getting rid of this little guy now!

Was that with the Derby Blade?

Derby yes. I prefer sharp's in all my other razors except for this one. The derby was on its... hrm. 3rd shave I think. Also the third derby blade I've put in there. I realised this particular razor likes a little negative pressure instead of using its weight. The bars do not seem bent, and the silo doors align properly. Same razor edge exposed and lined up evenly on both sides.

Even in my futur cranked up I find sharp's are more forgiving than derbys in my experience, and my skin type, including beard.

For me, the Red Tip was love at first sight, then first shave. But I've really come to enjoy, i.e. get great shaves from, my Fat Handled Tech with either a Feather or Red Personna.

:cool:

The second razor I purchased was a Mergress off The BST. I tried it on and off for six months and put it away because of the shaves. After a year I tried it again and was surprised at how different the shave was . I think it was a case of getting used to a double edge razor again, and not putting pressure on. The razor that gets the most use now is a Schick adjustable injector, it gives a great shave with little effort. Technique can play a major role especially with the more aggressive razors.

Never really happened to me with a DE, I fell into the groove straight away with the red tip and the slim adjustable, and they still are my favourites.
I've tried the tech, NEW, NI, other superspeeds and rocket numerous times, still not perfect.
Maybe it's my technique, but no DE that hasn't worked straight away has ever clicked no matter how many times I've tried it.
It happened to me with the GEMs though, shakey starts but then it just clicked.

Never really happened to me with a DE, I fell into the groove straight away with the red tip and the slim adjustable, and they still are my favourites.
I've tried the tech, NEW, NI, other superspeeds and rocket numerous times, still not perfect.
Maybe it's my technique, but no DE that hasn't worked straight away has ever clicked no matter how many times I've tried it.
It happened to me with the GEMs though, shakey starts but then it just clicked.

Same here

The New was a bit rough at first for me. I set it aside for a few weeks, and went back to it with most likely improved technique. It is now one of my favorites.

I had a tech and a slim adjustable,

i used the slim cause it was comfortable but kept the tech cuase i got it from a good friend,

i couldnt really get great shaves from either and gave up for a while, kept wetshaving but used a gillette trac two and sensor

one day i had run out of blades for t he trac two and sensor and needed to shave for a job interview,
i remembered everything about no pressure and everything,

put an vintage wilkinson sword brush into the tech, and lathered up some sienna cream, and proceeded to have the greatest shave of my life, i couldn't even feel the blade, just felt the guards sliding across my face, but BBS in two passes, no burn withthe splash, no five oclock shadow till the next morning and no irritation at all,

now i own about 15 or so razors and i think 10 of them have really clicked with a certain blade,

especially my gem :)

i still can't get my slim to give me as good shaves as a toggle though...

and i love a 50's SS but not the 40s one

I had a terrible DE I bought from AOS. I returned it and then got a murker barber pole with feather blades. That's when it all fell into place.

I'm currently looking for the perfect blade now and slowly working my way through my west coast shaving blade sampler pack. Ideally I will find a blade that will cut perfectly on the first shave, wasteful or not I can cope with throwing a blade away after a first shave and having a new blade every time if that means consistency.

David

Yes!!!

My futur's been sitting here a few months only used two or three times, mostly because I'm using a straight, but also because I really liked the gillette sa, which I got around the same time. Didn't really like it. Decided to try it again today and found it a very interesting design. Was just looking for a place to read up and maybe post, but, at least a mention definitely fits here.

My experience was with a Schick injector. Even using Pella blades did not help. So after a year or so I discovered the razor in the back of the cabinet, and decided to try again before sending it up for sale. Well, maybe experience and technique have improved, because now the shaves are really good. Still not as close as the Progress or Slant but good enough to keep in the regular rotation.

Yes!!!

My futur's been sitting here a few months only used two or three times, mostly because I'm using a straight, but also because I really liked the gillette sa, which I got around the same time. Didn't really like it. Decided to try it again today and found it a very interesting design. Was just looking for a place to read up and maybe post, but, at least a mention definitely fits here.

Today I tried a feather DE blade for the first time. I trust and feel the most comfortable with my Futur for an all around great shave. I almost threw it into a tech for saftey concerns.

Really... I LOVED the feather. Even cranked that bad boy up to 6+... Great shave. My face felt as slick as ice! Of course i knocked it back down to 3.25, and then around 2.5-.75 for the other passes. I regained my sanity I guess.

I am in love with the Feather/Futur Combination. Best shave yet!

Well I was shocked the other day because of great shave produced from a Mach3 I tried. After starting out DE with my Tech, and then going on to a fatboy, and most recently my Schick injector I tried the M3 as a result of reading another post. Wow, really close shave with little or no irritation. I don't know, I am confused by this turn of events.

It happened to me just this past weekend. I had a super speed that just wasn't doing it for me, which really bummed me out, since it was a C-4 that I had purchased specifically because it was my birth year and quarter. So, I was resigned to just using my other razors (super adjustable and fatboy, both of which are great). Then I decided to come back to the SS and try it with a different blade just for the hell of it, this time with a Gillette yellow 7 O'clock. Well, I had the best shave I've ever had! So good, in fact, that I got away without shaving the next morning (okay, I had some stubble by that afternoon, but still, quite impressive!). I chalk it up to a combination of improved technique, different blade, and maybe better technique at lathering after several weeks.

I'm still waiting for things to click for me for the Red Tip. By all accounts this should be a perfect match for me...just hasn't clicked yet. I take it out every 10 days or so...I'm determined to figure this one out. I love the challenge! :biggrin:

Another Superspeed convert here. I just did not get it. Now its all I use. I have 2 excellent condition 40s models which I sincerely hope I'lll never need to replace in my lifetime.

Top Bottom