What's new

Now that's what I'm talking about! (Speick)

I had to pad an Amazon order in order to get the free shipping, so I bought a Speick shave stick. I got it today and did my first shave with it.

First off, this thing is tiny! It's only 1 3/4 ounces! That's about half of my Col. Conk's soap. What I thought was a good deal suddenly didn't really seem like it. I paid 6 bucks for this, I hope it lasts...

In any event, the shave is where it's at, and I got a really nice shave with this. I have had problems with my first shave stick (an Ogallala L&P) so I was a little apprehensive about this one too. I shouldn't have been, I got lots of good quality lather, nice and slick with no problems. I think it's a better performer than the Conk's, but it better be at that price!

So I'll enjoy it, and I'll also keep my eye out for better prices. I wonder if my other soaps will get back to my face with this around...

You will find that tallow-based soaps are far superior to glycerin ones, although I am sure there are others who will (vehemently) disagree with me. But those who know tallow, know.:wink:

The cream is also excellent

yeah, I keep meaning to check out some more tallow soaps like Tabac and maybe MWF, but I gotta make due with what I have right now. BTW, is the Speick soap available in a puck?

Neither one is "technically" available in puck form, but you can quite easily mill it into your favorite container. :tongue_sm

Man, it would take about three of those sticks to make up a decent sized puck. Thinking about it, I was really hoping for a lower priced version, but since there really isn't much packaging with the stick, I doubt that there would be any savings with a larger puck.

So I'll enjoy it, and I'll also keep my eye out for better prices. I wonder if my other soaps will get back to my face with this around...

I don't know how much you paid for it at Amazon, but Bullgoose Shaving has it for $5.30 per container, which comes out to $3.02 an ounce. That doesn't seem overly expensive.

For comparison purposes, Bullgoose sells a refill puck of TOBS soap for $14.50, which comes out to $4.14 an ounce.

Shipping rates are also very reasonable, and my orders show up super fast, usually two days!! :w00t::w00t:

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/spshst1oz.html

Last edited:
I paid 6 bucks on amazon, including shipping so it sounds like it's around the same price as the ones you found. I was comparing the price to my Col. Conk's which I find to be a good soap. I think I will try some VDH next, and it's dirt cheap. As much as I liked the shave with Speick, I'm not really sure it's worth it. I mean, once I get a job, I'm not going to sweat 6 bucks, but right now I should be pinching my pennies...

I paid 6 bucks on amazon, including shipping so it sounds like it's around the same price as the ones you found. I was comparing the price to my Col. Conk's which I find to be a good soap. I think I will try some VDH next, and it's dirt cheap. As much as I liked the shave with Speick, I'm not really sure it's worth it. I mean, once I get a job, I'm not going to sweat 6 bucks, but right now I should be pinching my pennies...

I like Conks to, but the Speick is vastly superior and tallow based. Also it will last a lot longer than any glycerin soap.

Man, it would take about three of those sticks to make up a decent sized puck. Thinking about it, I was really hoping for a lower priced version, but since there really isn't much packaging with the stick, I doubt that there would be any savings with a larger puck.

You will find that it will outlast Conk or most similar sized glycerin soaps. And outshave them.

I like Conks to, but the Speick is vastly superior and tallow based. Also it will last a lot longer than any glycerin soap.

You will find that it will outlast Conk or most similar sized glycerin soaps. And outshave them.

Well, that will be a good thing if it lasts as long, i wouldn't be as disappointed with the size. Although with a shave stick I wonder how much less soap I'll be using than with a puck? In other words, I'm willing to believe that a brush would use more soap with a softer soap, but when you drag it across your face, does the same thing hold true?

Oh, and yeah, I do think it is a bit better than Conk's, but let's keep things in perspective, it's still shaving soap. I'm not sure how "vastly" better a soap can be once you've got a soap that lubricates and gives good shaves.I do think that Speick is better, but I would never say that it is vastly batter, and I didn't notice a difference in the end result. If the Speick can prove to last as long, I'll get more, if not, I'll go back to Conk's or something like that when it comes time to buy again.

First off, this thing is tiny! It's only 1 3/4 ounces! That's about half of my Col. Conk's soap. What I thought was a good deal suddenly didn't really seem like it. I paid 6 bucks for this, I hope it lasts...

Isaac --

The shave soap in stick form should provide 70 lush shaves or so, perhaps a few more. The 50gram size seems to be the norm for shave sticks. Palmolive, Valobra, Wilkinson are all 50gr, as are others. Arko weighs in at 75gr. The Speick stick is an excellent product.

-- John Gehman

Isaac --

The shave soap in stick form should provide 70 lush shaves or so, perhaps a few more. The 50gram size seems to be the norm for shave sticks. Palmolive, Valobra, Wilkinson are all 50gr, as are others. Arko weighs in at 75gr. The Speick stick is an excellent product.

-- John Gehman

It looks like the Mama bear, QED, and Ogallala are larger. I think they all use the same container. I think my Ogallala is twice the size of the Speick. Of course, I think I like the Speick twice as much as the Ogallala so far...:001_smile

Isaac --

-- John Gehman

+1 It's very good stuff.

Top Bottom