Robeson Shur-Edge 5/8 hammered tang.

Last edited:
The number 1 is easy the rest is no particular order
1. Mastro Livi 7/8, n690 Inox
Zowada 6/8 damascus spanish point
Joe Chandler 7/8 damascus
Ellis custom
LR harner 6/8 custom damascus

These are the 5 razors in my cupboard at the moment.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The old Boker King cutter is 5/8" and is significantly better than the newer 6/8". Both are better than many modern German razors I have tried.
Boker over the generations seems to have maintained very high standards and I think you would be unlucky to purchase a bad one. They are also quite easy to find and are usually reasonably priced at about the $70 to $110 price range. Theses two purchased recently from forum members cost about $80 each.

The three Sheffield blades provide a smoother shave and the one on the left is as good as anything I have ever tried. It came out of an old tin of rusty razors.
It's a 5/8" Wilkinson of Pall Mall London. The middle blade is a wedge by G.Johnson of Sheffield. This razor is 150 years old and as smooth as silk.
I think that the Wilkinson and the Johnson provide the most consistent daily shaves I've had in more than 45 years shaving.

If you are prepared to undertake some restoration work, vintage Sheffield can still be found at very low prices. I paid nothing for the Wilkinson, $130 for the Johnson and $70 off e bay for the Wostenholm pipe.

They don't go into the cupboard unless they are good.:wink:

In no particular order,here are my five.

7/8 Robert Williams damascus
7/8 Dovo Fritz Bracht
6/8 Dorko
6/8 Jon Engstrom frameback
6/8 B&B LeGrelot

The number 1 is easy the rest is no particular order
1. Mastro Livi 7/8, n690 Inox
Zowada 6/8 damascus spanish point
Joe Chandler 7/8 damascus
Ellis custom
LR harner 6/8 custom damascus

That is some very elite company you keep! :biggrin: The Livi is that much better than the others?

1: Thomas Ward wedge, 5/8+-
2: B&B Le Grelot I like it more, but not quite as smooth shaving yet.
3: James Johnson spike
4: No name(possibly torrey) covered tang tropical terror
5: Was my CV Heljestrand No4, but I passed it on to Huracan.

I have about 4 or 5 wedges I need to finish sanding/honing, so my list might change.

Last edited:
Let's see

Barber's notch Frederick Reynolds
1/4 grind leGrelot
7/8 Dovo spike point (from VintageBlades)
Helsjestrand #4
Super modified Marshes & Sheppard

That's my den right now, I have a couple of other Sheffields in sight that will join the rotation soon though.

I'm glad the Helje made it to your top 5. I kinda miss it.:tongue_sm

These are the 5 razors in my cupboard at the moment.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The old Boker King cutter is 5/8" and is significantly better than the newer 6/8". Both are better than many modern German razors I have tried.
Boker over the generations seems to have maintained very high standards and I think you would be unlucky to purchase a bad one. They are also quite easy to find and are usually reasonably priced at about the $70 to $110 price range. Theses two purchased recently from forum members cost about $80 each.

The three Sheffield blades provide a smoother shave and the one on the left is as good as anything I have ever tried. It came out of an old tin of rusty razors.
It's a 5/8" Wilkinson of Pall Mall London. The middle blade is a wedge by G.Johnson of Sheffield. This razor is 150 years old and as smooth as silk.
I think that the Wilkinson and the Johnson provide the most consistent daily shaves I've had in more than 45 years shaving.

If you are prepared to undertake some restoration work, vintage Sheffield can still be found at very low prices. I paid nothing for the Wilkinson, $130 for the Johnson and $70 off e bay for the Wostenholm pipe.

They don't go into the cupboard unless they are good.:wink:

You paid 70 for the Wosty :eek:.

Well...

Le Grelot I & II
Double Duck No. 1 Special
TI Frameback
W&B 7/8 Wedge
Wostenholm 7/8

But this is subject to change tomorrow.

That is some very elite company you keep! :biggrin: The Livi is that much better than the others?

Thanks Henry, I seen the pictures you posted your collection of razors are extremely nice as well,
regarding the Livi listed yeah it is better then the others and to me quite noticeably perhaps it is due to it being N690 metal which is suppose to have cobalt or something in it I don't know but the edge on it is just amazing and it seems to be staying that way without any change at all, as some after a few shaves you can notice a difference before they adjust one way or another but not this one, I have another Live a rose damascus which is comparable to my Zowada's which are all great shavers but the N690 is something else.

Here is a link to a post with pics of 4 of them, the pic of the Livi and others too for that matter could be much better, the Livi the blade is polished while the tang is blued hard to see in pic but really cool, and it was also the cheapest of the bunch as well

1: Thomas Ward wedge, 5/8+-
2: B&B Le Grelot I like it more, but not quite as smooth shaving yet.
3: James Johnson spike
4: No name(possibly torrey) covered tang tropical terror
5: Was my CV Heljestrand No4, but I passed it on to Huracan.

I'm glad the Helje made it to your top 5. I kinda miss it.:tongue_sm

:eek: I now feel I stole it from you, as long as you don't start with the booty calls at 3:00 am to reminisce the old times :lol:. "I miss you soooo much" :lol: :a37:

Thanks Henry, I seen the pictures you posted your collection of razors are extremely nice as well,
regarding the Livi listed yeah it is better then the others and to me quite noticeably perhaps it is due to it being N690 metal which is suppose to have cobalt or something in it I don't know but the edge on it is just amazing and it seems to be staying that way without any change at all, as some after a few shaves you can notice a difference before they adjust one way or another but not this one, I have another Live a rose damascus which is comparable to my Zowada's which are all great shavers but the N690 is something else.

Here is a link to a post with pics of 4 of them, the pic of the Livi and others too for that matter could be much better, the Livi the blade is polished while the tang is blued hard to see in pic but really cool, and it was also the cheapest of the bunch as well

Cannot believe I plagarized a thread :eek:!

That Chandler damascus looks wonderful!

As I see that a "favourite 3" list is also admitted (good thing, as I only have...3 shave ready razors), here are mine:

A Henckels Friodur 50 1/2, a JA Henckels 60 and a no brand Solingen from Rasurpur.

proxy.php

I think now is time to look for a big brother, a 7/8 maybe?

Regards

Top Bottom