What's new

Razor cleaning help

The razor is an old style gillette ball end tech. Well since I had no scubbing bubbles and was too anxious to wait i decided to just go with soapy water. That got me nowhere. So I wip out the brasso and start rubbing away. I figured it would help since it says clean, polishes, protects. There is A LOT of black stuff coming off on the rag but it's alittle shiny. Is this the plating? I got it really shiny but it still has the black coming off of it. Anyway, is this all I need in terms of cleaning. I'll be getting barbicide in a day or so. But should I also get scrubbing bubbles or something? Also I can't get into the open comb.

A hot soapy water soak for about a half hour, followed up w/ a old toothbrush works great. Then some SB, w/ toothbrush, followed up w/ Mother's works great! P.S. A Tech doesn't have a open comb. Send Pics

You will get black stuff on the rag as long as you wipe with Brasso, even when the finish is nice and clean. If you continue you will eventually go through the plating down to the brass base metal. Scrubbing Bubbles will eliminate dirt and soap scum but will not eliminate the patina on these old razors. Just go easy with the polish.

Len

proxy.php

Here it is. Sorry for the picture. It's from the person I bought it from. My camera's battery's are charging right now.

You will get black stuff on the rag as long as you wipe with Brasso, even when the finish is nice and clean. If you continue you will eventually go through the plating down to the brass base metal. Scrubbing Bubbles will eliminate dirt and soap scum but will not eliminate the patina on these old razors. Just go easy with the polish.

Len

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I didn't go through the plating.

Top Bottom