What's new

The Simpsons Polo 10 in two band super..

This brush was one of the (four) missing links in my collection. Two were found when i acquired CH2 and PJ2 recently, E3 is still missing but that's only a matter of time.... :wink:

The PL10 is the underlining of the fact that Vulfix is manufacturing Simpsons brushes with the same quality towards the lofts compared to their Somersets counterparts and with even better quality when it comes to finishing the handles with engraving and water resistant labels.

I took a picture of a Somerset PL8 from the spring 2008 and the Vulfix PL10 acquired this week. The lofts have the same quality, but the PL8 has been used several times in the past year while the PL10 only twice.

However, the bristles of the PL10 are not the same quality as those of the CH2: the latter are blacker at the base and a tad whiter at the tips. But nevertheless, the loft of the PL10 is of serene beauty... :wink:

This PL10 two band super will definitely become one of my top favourites in my array of 180-200 pieces (lost count...sorry...)

Simply stunning, as always Peter. I appreciate your assessment of these brushes over time (pre- and post-Vulfix), as well.

drP that PL10:ohmy:
I ordered my first Simpson brush and it is a two band PJ2.I am happy these fine brushes are back on the market.

Last edited:
Peter, is the knot on the Vulfix Chubby 2 and the PL 10 about the same?

My question exactly. My understanding was that Polos 8, 10 and 12 were the equivalents of CHs 1, 2 and 3, only with different handle shapes. (The PL 14 always stood on its own as a brush so large only an insane person...ahem, I mean, only a Dutch doctor would own one.) But I always wondered how strictly true this was, and if the density of the knots varied at all between them. Any input on either count, Peter?

By the way, gorgeous brushes - especially that CH2. How similar is the current two-band stock to the older, pre-Vulfix Simpson two-band Super, and how similar is it to Manchurian grade?

My question exactly. My understanding was that Polos 8, 10 and 12 were the equivalents of CHs 1, 2 and 3, only with different handle shapes. (The PL 14 always stood on its own as a brush so large only an insane person...ahem, I mean, only a Dutch doctor would own one.) But I always wondered how strictly true this was, and if the density of the knots varied at all between them. Any input on either count, Peter?

By the way, gorgeous brushes - especially that CH2. How similar is the current two-band stock to the older, pre-Vulfix Simpson two-band Super, and how similar is it to Manchurian grade?

To answer the first question about the loft dimensions i'll measure them l and i'll post these later today. The density of the CH and PL series is about the same.

As for the quality of the current two band super, that's a somewhat longer story.
When i received my CH2, PJ2 and T2 i was struck by the extremely high quality of the loft: glossy deep black roots and snowy white bristletips, which reminded my very much of the vintage whitecap brushes of yore, of which i have a few in my collection. The gauge of the bristles was somewhat thinner/finer then those of Rooney's finest series and again, even blacker and whiter than the latter. Really a superbe kind of badger, not only regarding colouration but also regarding resiliency of the loft which kept its shape extremely well (almost no bloom) and the softness of the tips.

The loft of the PL10 however reminded me very much of the older Somerset Simpsons two band super: it's the same kind of two band badger of which the colours are less pronounced as those of the new Vulfix CH2, PJ2 and T2; nonetheless an outstanding high quality type of badger imo.

Finally a word about so called Manchurian badger: the term "manchurian" is just a marketing term. Manchurian badger is identical to two band super badger and vice versa. No more, no less. Only different stamping on the handles . that's all...:wink:

Finally a word about so called Manchurian badger: the term "manchurian" is just a marketing term. Manchurian badger is identical to two band super badger and vice versa. No more, no less. Only different stamping on the handles . that's all...:wink:

Thanks, Peter, for the info. I agree that Manchurian is a marketing term, rather than an actual grade of badger hair. But it was my understanding that Simpson (Somerset) applied it to a particular batch of badger hair that had rather unique characteristics, specifically very white tips that were a fair degree softer than that on the standard two-band Super. This certainly applies to my Manchurain CH3 (stamped Manchurian, not Extra), which is decidedly softer, and blooms quite a bit more, than either my standard two-band CH3 or CH2 Supers. Having said that, I have a T4 Super that has hair that very closely resembles the Manchurian in my CH3, so go figure. In the end I suppose it's all academic, since I don't believe Vulfix is producing any Simpson Manchurian brushes anyway.

Here are some pics for reference - all are Somerset Simpsons:

proxy.php

L-R: CH3 Super, CH3 Manchurian

proxy.php

L-R: CH3 Manchurian, T4 Super

Horatio
Those are beautiful! I love the Tulips, got a T2 in Simfix 2 band and a T3 in regular Super. Looking for a 2 band T3. How is the loft in the T4?

Top Bottom