What's new

Just starting, what do you think?

I have decided to take up the art of classic wet shaving. I did tons of research and below is what I have purchased to get started. Let me know what you think and any tips that might help me on my quest to the perfect shave!

Razors
1959 Gillette Fatboy (Great Condition) $34.85 at the bay
Gillette Old Style #102 (Great Condition) $8.50 at the bay

Blades
West Coast Shaving Sampler Pack Choice $10.00 at West Coast Shaving

Brush
Edwin Jagger Best Badger (Size Medium) $28.00 at The English Shaving Co.

Soaps/Creams/After Shaves
Tabac with bowl $15.58 at Amazon
Col. Conk - Lime $3.25 at West Coast Shaving
Speick Shaving Cream $6.50 at West Coast Shaving
Witch Hazel - Rose Petal $11.00 at Amazon

I hope that's enough to get me started. My wife already started raising her eyebrows! Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Greg
Petersburg, WV

The sample pack is your most important item. It can make your shaves radically different, for better or for worse, depending on the blade. Also, I never take a razor to my face until I touch my fingertips to my whiskers and they feel smooth and fuzzy instead of hard and stubbly (proper prep will get you there, I've found it's as simple as washing my face with a glycerine body bar and letting it sit for a few minutes before lathering)

:thumbup1:

P.S. - A lot of beginners, myself included, had trouble with Merkur blades. I'd suggest avoiding them till you have a little experience under your belt. My favorites are the Israeli Personna blades in the red pack

good set up. start low on the fatboy settings and gradually work up until its close and comfortable. also if you havent already then you should check out mantics youtube videos on wet shaving.

good set up. start low on the fatboy settings and gradually work up until its close and comfortable. also if you havent already then you should check out mantics youtube videos on wet shaving.

That's exactly what got me to this point! :biggrin:

I saw the video linked on Lifehacker and I was sold. I actually haven't shaved very much in many years because of my frustrations on getting a shave I am happy with. Every time a new cartridge razor would come out I would run out and get it to only be disappointed.

I am also looking for creative ways to build a morning routine that will work for me. I have a very hard time waking up in the morning and so I am hoping this will help by giving me something to look forward to when I get up and start my routine.

Thanks, for the advice thus far! :thumbup1:

Every time a new cartridge razor would come out I would run out and get it to only be disappointed.

just dont give up on DE shaving too soon, it will take a little while to get used to but it'll be well worth it when you get the hang of it and can start perfecting it.:001_smile

Welcome =)

Here are some of my recommendations...

Alum Block - Get it from an Indian Grocery store/market $1 - $2
Styptic Pencil - Its like an Alum block but more for cuts $2 - $5 Walgreens etc...
Hotpot - to heat water $10 - Wallymart etc
Assorted mugs for soap - get from the kitchen / goodwill / antique stores etc or buy cool ones online
Thayers Witch hazel - The best WH Ive used =) I like the lavender GNC / Health Food Stores
Cheese Grater - If you want to mill down your soaps (grab from kitchen / goodwill etc)
Brush Stand - $2 or DIY one out of a metal hanger etc
Barbicide / Alcohol to keep everything clean $5 - $6 from Beauty Supply Store -- alcohol you probably have =)

Last edited:
Top Bottom