What's new

replaceable blade straight razor help, safety razor user in pain

Goofy title but didn't know how to sum it up. I have a real straight razor on order but got a $16 amazon sr1 stainless to try. It looks cheaper in person but thats the handle. I tried shaving and sme cuts were expected but it seemed okay on my sideburns then went south after that. Is the whole idea junk or if not help me figure out what is wrong.
I haven't shaved in a month as couldn't find my DE and don't care for the new stuff or my fancy electric which pulled not cut. Anyway I tried different angles since I'm not so great at eyeballing 30 degrees and it was dragging and pulling andjust terrible and I was only going with the grain. I was using soap from walgreens and a badger hair brush from there. I relathered many times and tried one of the 7am blades that came with it instead of the persona I usually get. I also tried some health food store aloe oil shave stuff whose bottle made it sound like the best stuff in the world and a sample bottle of kiss my face. I got razor burn too.
I think I remember some skipping and burn with my Parkar 22R and soap/brush but blamed it on not getting a Merkur. My original was a hand me down green corroded that looked like a gillette superspeed but dunno if it was.
Another issue is I only have hot water to start since use an on demand heater and the sink doesnt flow enough to kick it on plus it takes a minute to get to that end of the house so I just get the brush and soap going as well as wet my face from the tub hot water faucet.
I'm thinking about trying modern gel in a canjust to rule out the soap and brush and then go back after I figure things out.
I will be getting a 30s griffon razor that is honed and polished but thought if not alot of difference could use the replaceable daily and the real one every week maybe. I heard ebay strops are junk and have no clue what to get for honing and dont want to spend alot.

Top Bottom