What's new

Aristocrat Blade Gap Question

I just got a 46-47 un-notched Aristocrat from ebay. I've heard that they are a fairly aggressive razor. However, it seems that it almost has no blade gap, i.e. the blade seems resemble the way blades fit in the Old Style Gillettes. The blade almost rests on the bottom piece.

Is there something wrong with my Aristocrat? I don't see how that could be possible as it's a one piece head and it is uniform on both sides.

Or am I just tightening the razor down too much?

I don't think the un-notched Aristocrat is aggressive at all. But I got mine out and put in a blade and take a look. It rests in the razor as you describe. I don't think there is anything wrong with yours. Give it a try and see what you think.

Len

I have both the un-notched and the notched Aristocrat. I went to shave with the notched Aristocrat just now and noticed the blade gap was much bigger then what I observed on the un-notched version previously. So i got my set of feeler gauges and gave a try at measuring the blade gap. I've never done this before so I don't know how accurate my technique is but it should give you a relative idea of the gaps of both razors.

un-notched = .41mm
notched = .64mm

I have a 2nd notched Aristocrat that has never been used and is newer, based on the case style. It measured .56mm.

Len

R

rainman

I have both the un-notched and the notched Aristocrat. I went to shave with the notched Aristocrat just now and noticed the blade gap was much bigger then what I observed on the un-notched version previously. So i got my set of feeler gauges and gave a try at measuring the blade gap. I've never done this before so I don't know how accurate my technique is but it should give you a relative idea of the gaps of both razors.

un-notched = .41mm
notched = .64mm

I have a 2nd notched Aristocrat that has never been used and is newer, based on the case style. It measured .56mm.

Len

This is very interesting how the same razor can have such different blade gaps. Not what anyone would suspect. I've heard the same such things about the Gillette Super Adjustables. Even the though everyone knows the Gillettes were made well and made to last, only charging $1-$5 per razor maybe things like blade gaps differences could actually be the norm with no on really knowing as it most likely effects the shave less than we think or obviously so base on these findings. Squire over at Shave My Face has also mentioned these happenings.

R

rainman

Wow, that was way off topic. Also to mention, I also don't believe the un-notched aristocrat is very aggressive. A smooth shave non the less! and a classy razor.

I've noticed that the safety bar is rather bendable and if the razor has been dropped or mishandled, the blade gaps can change. Check to see if gaps are the same on both sides of the DE. I've seen razors with different gaps and their may not always be a slant effect to clue you in on this. Also, these can be easily adjusted with a screwdriver or needle nose pliers (used with great caution and padding!). I've noticed that over half of the Fat Boys and slims I've encountered have had some asymmetry to the blade gap because of bumps to the safety bar.

See on this one how it has the little perpendicular "wings" on the end of the horizontal centre slot the blade goes over? http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/On...947 Aristocrat blue case beschriftet Logo.jpg
That isn't notched.
The notched version was made for ease of loading the blade from the gillette dispensers, so those 'wings' aren't there after 1948. And they have a little 'hook' or notch' on the centre bar to grip a blade to load it from the dispenser that gillette sold http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/On... razor set (T2 on blade) beschriftet Logo.jpg

edit: 1948 side dispensing blade holder that gillette started selling with the notched version of their razors in case you haven't seen one: http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierklingen/1948 (T4) Dispenser 20 Blue Gillette Blades England.jpg

Last edited:
I did not know that, I learn something new here every day. Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I had noted these small differences before and wondered about them.

I didn't know they served a functional purpose but it now makes sense when explained.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom