What's new

When a shaving cream says brushless...

Hiya,

When a shaving cream says brushless, does that mean no brush required at all? :confused:

Could someone provide some details?

Thanks in advance...

Duggo

...and with many products, don't expect lather. Some give a wonderful shave with suds instead of the creamy lather we've come to expect.

-- John Gehman

As always, there are exceptions. In this case, Nancy Boy shave cream. It is advertised as a brushless, but we know it works better as a brush-on cream.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

Lucky Tiger/Molle works well as a true brushless. Tom's of Maine works fantastically when used _with_ a brush (altho it's "brushless"). I haven't tried it without a brush.

I just got back from a 2 day trip and thought that I was using Nancy Boy BRUSHLESS Shave cream. It was in their travel size jar and not labeled Brush or Brushless. I found it to be basically worthless as a Brushless. I may throw the crap away and refill their little 2 oz jar with Proraso.

I much prefer using a Brush but was looking for a way not to have to take a brush with me for short trips.

Most of the better brushless creams I've used (Palmolive brushless, for instance) do not lather at all, but are smeared like a balm onto the skin, and shaved off. Sometimes when I want to try something with a brush I read the label, some of them assume no one has shaving brushes anymore, and will have directions saying to lather in palms then apply to face (KMF...) after which one will no doubt proceed to a horrible shave. Lather that same cream with a shaving brush, and the performance improvement is sometimes surprising.
Amongst "brushless creams" I've seen that lathered(and sometimes quite well):

Headslick (in the yellow bottle)
Prep
KissMyFace (KMF)
Toms of Maine

Feel free to add to the list folks, but they are out there.
John P.

I don't normally use brushless, but when I do, it's Tom's of Maine or Molle. Tom's lathers wonderfully with a brush. But, Molle must be used brushless and just rubbed on (no lathering in hand).

I've had some decent luck with Lush's Razorantium cream, which definitely cannot be used with a brush. I figured I'd try it on a whim and was relatively satisfied, though I will not be using it with a straight again. That was a disaster. However, for the DE, it was pretty decent as long as you can keep your face wet enough. Otherwise, I'll stick to creams designed for brushes.

Top Bottom