What's new

Anyone here mix their own aftershave?

After much research and looking about, I cannot come across an aftershave that compliments my cologne. I wear a cologne with the scents of citrus, juniper, and white cardamon.

So my thoughts are why not make one that suits me?
I'm sure it can be done, and also allows me greater control of the quality of ingredients in it.
I'd like to make a balm like Nivea, but I am ok with an alcohol base also.

Anyone have a recipe they would be willing to share?

I'm thinking for an alcohol base using vodka (what other options are available as I am under 21 and may have a hard time getting some?), witch hazel, aloe vera juice, and olive oil, with whatever spices and essential oils strike my fancy.

For a balm, I'm having a harder time coming up with something. Only thing I can come up with is a mix of aloe vera gel, olive oil, and witch hazel.
Edit: I could if nothing else use an unscented lotion as a base, but what would be the challenge and fun in that?

For water (if needed) do you guys think I will be better with distilled or artesian water?

Thanks for any input. I'm looking forward to going about this project as soon as I can procure the ingredients
tc

I would be curious about this as well. I did some looking online this week and found some "recipes" for dyi aftershave, and they seemed pretty easy to make.

After much research and looking about, I cannot come across an aftershave that compliments my cologne. I wear a cologne with the scents of citrus, juniper, and white cardamon.

So my thoughts are why not make one that suits me?
I'm sure it can be done, and also allows me greater control of the quality of ingredients in it.
I'd like to make a balm like Nivea, but I am ok with an alcohol base also.

Anyone have a recipe they would be willing to share?

I'm thinking for an alcohol base using vodka (what other options are available as I am under 21 and may have a hard time getting some?), witch hazel, aloe vera juice, and olive oil, with whatever spices and essential oils strike my fancy.

For a balm, I'm having a harder time coming up with something. Only thing I can come up with is a mix of aloe vera gel, olive oil, and witch hazel.
Edit: I could if nothing else use an unscented lotion as a base, but what would be the challenge and fun in that?

For water (if needed) do you guys think I will be better with distilled or artesian water?

Thanks for any input. I'm looking forward to going about this project as soon as I can procure the ingredients
tc

You would be better off using Isopropyl alcohol instead of vodka, they usually come in 50% or 75% solutions, look by the hydrogen peroxide in your local store.

I once mixed Booster's Iced Lime w/ Aqua Velva. Wasn't bad, wasn't good.

As for mixing your own from scatch, I would definitely use Isopopyl acohol over vodka. Purer, less expensive, and you won't smell like a drunk!

haha. I wondered about using isopropyl, but it just seemed too easy to work. In that case, I think I have everything here but the witch hazel. Once I get that, I will start working on small batches and see what works. I'm thinking of going with citrus and cloves. I mixed some clove oil in with my shaving cream this morning and it felt crazy good. And I still smell like a cookie!

I read an article that suggested using rum as the alcohol base, 1/2 cup rum to 1/4 witch hazel which cuts the sting of the rum.

I think the secret is letting your herbs/spices and scents "steep" in a cool dark place for a couple of weeks is the way to infuse the scent into the alcohol.

Another recipe said you can also had aloe vera juice, which again would sooth the alcohol.

I am thinking of trying this around Christmas time. I'd like to make something with a strong dose of lime scent. So I will use real limes and lime extract for my scent base.

Originally Posted by kaldurak
By popular request, a lot of you want to know the recipe to my custom aftershave. So, here it is in all of its glory.

Buy:

1 bottle of Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe (I saw that GNC has this, but I got mine at Whole Foods Market)
1 bottle of Glycerine (any pharmacy has this and so does Whole Foods)
1 bottle of Peppermint Essential Oil (Whole Foods)
1 bottle of Lavender Essential Oil (Whole Foods)

Speeze out about 2 table spoons of the witch hazel down the drain (yes, wasteful, sue me)
squirt the glycerine into the bottle of witch hazel until close to full (about 1 table spoon
add 20 drops of Peppermint EO
add 10 drops of Lavender EO
(drops of EO's are tricky. you may want less than 20 or more than 20. my suggestion is start with 10 of peppermint, shake the WH bottle, and rub a little on your skin <put the lotion in the basket!!!> if you don't get some type of breakout of hives, goto 20 drops.) same goes for Lavender, start with a little and add to scent of your choosing.

I like a strong peppermint scent (and feel) with the undertone of lavender. really wakes you the **** up in the morning.

Notes on the Glycerin: Some people find this mix to be a little sticky/tacky on the skin. It could be the Glycerin - it may be the Aloe in the Thayers. Try it without the added Glycerin at first, and then add it in 1/2 teaspoonfuls if you want.

My (kaldurak) skin is fine with both the aloe and the glycerin. You mileage may vary.
i just mixed this up enjoyed it the first time used it. will need a few more uses to really get a feel for how it works

Ok, I've got the first batch nearly mixed up. Only thing its missing is clove oil, which I am out of.

I used 90&#37; alcohol cut down to about 70%.

For the base, I used
1 cup isopropyl alcohol (70%-ish)
1/2 cup witch hazel (86%)
1 cup water. (would suggest using distilled or boiling before using)
2 tbsp olive oil

optional: 2 tbsp aloe vera juice

At this point if you want unscented, stop. Give it overnight to set. Shake and use the next day.

For scent, I've added orange zest. I'll be adding clove oil once I get it. Use what you like.
Some other ingredients I'd imagine would be nice:
peppermint oil (minty too!)
vanilla beans
Cinnamon sticks
Rosemary
Lavender
Sage
and anything else you can think of

If you are using just oils/extracts, I would imagine the mix will be usable within a day or two.
If you use fresh herbs/spices/etc you will have to give them time to steep properly. I'm going to be checking it every day until I find the scent to be right. Once you've got the right scent, you will want to remove any solids from the mix.

I'll keep this thread updated on the status

edit: 25 hours in: Been shaking about every 6 hours or so. The mix has started to look like very watered down orange juice. The citrus scent is still barely noticeable over the scent of witch hazel. Couldn't find any clove oil at walmart last night. Hoping the local grocery has it (further edit: Just tried a little bit. Once the witch hazel evaporates a little, the citrus scent left behind is weak, but pleasant)

edit: day 2: shook the mix once twice today. Not much change since yesterday. Citrus scent is still fairly weak. Clove oil is proving remarkably hard to find. I have two more places to check, then I will have to figure out some other way to get cloves into it

If anyone wants to do this with citrus, do not use olive oil. the two react badly. After about a week, they started to turn. I'm going to remix the base with mineral oil instead, and leave out scents this time.

I made a splash.

Half Witch Hazel (generic from the grocery store)

Half CO Bigelow Citrus Toner (also contains WH)

Several pumps of Burt's Bees Bay Rum Aftershave Balm, mostly for scent.

shake well and splash on.

very nice.

-Mason

My AS is 50/50 aloe vera juice and witch hazel with a couple drops of Penhaligon's Racket. Just enough scent for me to smell for a while. And enough so my wife can smell just a hint of it when she gets real close. I love it.

Top Bottom