What's new

Review of Honeybee spa soaps

Honey bee Sue,
How do we get your soap in Europe? Do you have any retail outlet in Europe? Ordering from the USA is a problem because of the postal charges and the dreaded Swedish customs that slapps on not only a custom duty but even a handling charge for goods from the USA. The customs department has lost a lot of revenue source lately due to the EEC regulations allowing free import within the EEC. They have to make up for the lost revenue by charging for goods from out side the EU. Do you have any suggestions?

What a shave today-HBS

GREEN TEA!!
What a great scent, very clean and tannin scent no floral at all. A nice change. I swear this one feels different too. I will be back to this again soon!(no its not tantric):biggrin:

Yesterday was OCEANIA very nice -not floral sort of like the 70's aftershave CANOE if I remember ?? I liked it.:001_smile

Tomorrow Who knows?

Hi Raj,
I'm working on International shipping, and hope to be able to do it in Sept. I just passed the first hurdle of a shipment to Canada that arrived safely in 4 business days using the Global Priority Flat Rate envelope. That's what I hope to use for Europe as I can fit up to 6 shaving soaps in the envelope to most of Europe for $9.50 shipping.
As soon as I'm set up to ship Internationally, I will post here in B&B.

HB Sue

Thanks Sue. I like shaving soaps and am dying to try yours since my result with Crabtree and Evelyn shaving soaps has been unsatisfactory because they do not lubricate or moisturise the skin.

I used HBS for the first time last night. Mountain Meadow, I believe, which had a nice fresh clean scent. I must admit I did have a little trouble getting the lather I wanted. I used the same technique I use for Mama Bear, C&E, and Classic soaps, but I got less lather, and it seemed to dry on my face too quickly. Lately, with those other soaps, I've been loading the wet brush on the soap bar, and then whipping to a lather in a pre-wet, pre-warmed lather bowl. Superb results with all those other soaps. With HBS, I got very little lather - like I was running out by the 3rd pass, and the second half of my face would be dry by the time I got the first half shaved. So my question is, should I be using more water than with other soaps or more soap? Obviously, from the reviews here, this is a superior soap, so my technique must need to be tweaked.:blush:

Orest

That is very unusual, I found just the opposite to be true. The Honeybee soap I found to be more forgiving and much easier to work up a good lather with than other soaps I have tried. From what you describe, I would say you definetly need more water. What kind of brush are you using? I have used both an Omega boar brush and Rooney's Finest with absouletly no problem. If your brush does not hold enough water, just add water as you work up the lather.

Good Luck! Bud

I agree with Bud...sounds like a bit more water should do the trick. Just keep adding a couple drops at a time until the desired consistency is achieved.

Todays HBS ''flavor'' is YAZU.... what the heck is a yazu?

proxy.php

This is what yahoo said;
Yuzu Fruit
YUZU is a citrus fruit common in Japanese kitchens. The surface of the fruit is uneven, and the peel's fragrance is sweet and slightly bitter. The flavor of the juice is similar to grapefruit but has definite overtones of Mandarin orange. YUZU juice is very fresh and tangy-tasting, and is an important ingredient in ponzu. Traditionally, shreded YUZU peel is used to garnish clear soups and simmered dishes. Today's fusion cuisine has resulted in dishes such as Tuna Sashimi with Wasabi-YUZU, Tuna Tartare with YUZU on Fried Potato Gaufrettes, YUZU Monogatari (Gin, Ginger Ale and YUZU juice), and YUZU-Maui Onion Salad. YUZU's exterior color changes from green to yellow as the season progresses. Exterior color is not important, and either color fruit is used interchangeably.

I can tell you that this is one great smelling soap in-fact it is the first HBS soap thats the lather smells just as great as the puck does! I do not as a rule go for Foodie scents but for some reason Yazu does not make me think of a kitchen.It shaves great as always
This one is way on the top of my current hit parade! ITS A MUST TRY!

Sue this one is out of the Park!:thumbup:

Glad you like it Jim. I really wanted to try something very different that would be a unique to HBS, something I didn't see offered by every vendor. The first time I read the description, I thought, ooooh, that sounds interesting, and the first time I sniffed it, I loved it! Even the name, Yuzu, is kind of fun. I haven't had it very long, but it's already a big seller in shower gel too. Enjoy!

HB Sue

O.K. enough is enough.... I'm going to have to stay off this forum. Now I'm dying to try the Yazu. I thought all this buying and trying different soaps would be over once I discovered the ultimate shaving soap with the Honeybee. However, with all the talk of the different fragrances, this is not the case. Because of this forum, I now have a severe case of SCAD or more appropriately, HSAD (Honeybee Soap Acquisition Disorder). I'm currently awaiting an order now and can't even remember what scents I ordered. I just know they are ones I have'nt tried and they sounded good.

If there were only one scent in the Honeybee soap, I would be content and just enjoy the remarkable shave. Since this is not the case, I suppose there is no hope for me. I enjoy all the fragrances I have tried so far and this really serves exacerbate my disorder.

gundog said:
Orest

That is very unusual, I found just the opposite to be true. The Honeybee soap I found to be more forgiving and much easier to work up a good lather with than other soaps I have tried. From what you describe, I would say you definetly need more water. What kind of brush are you using? I have used both an Omega boar brush and Rooney's Finest with absouletly no problem. If your brush does not hold enough water, just add water as you work up the lather.

Good Luck! Bud

I'll definitely give it another shot. I'm sure that I just haven't gotten the working ratios right yet. I'm using a boar brush.

Having been raised to the old saw "If you have nothing nice to say- say nothing" this is a difficult post for me to make- I am compelled to make it only because of my prior high praise for HBS Shaving soaps.

The HBS lemon-lime shave soap worked perfectly-as all the soaps do.

The Scent however was worse than horrible- If I had tried this version first I would never have tried any other- its that bad.
Its not lemon its not lime it has no citrus bite- flat and mushy very artificial and feculant. If that was not enough the lather smelled worse than the soap!

I cannot recommend this version of HBS shave soap.

Goosemeplease said:
Having been raised to the old saw "If you have nothing nice to say- say nothing" this is a difficult post for me to make- I am compelled to make it only because of my prior high praise for HBS Shaving soaps.

The HBS lemon-lime shave soap worked perfectly-as all the soaps do.

The Scent however was worse than horrible- If I had tried this version first I would never have tried any other- its that bad.
Its not lemon its not lime it has no citrus bite- flat and mushy very artificial and feculant. If that was not enough the lather smelled worse than the soap!

I cannot recommend this version of HBS shave soap.

Heh, that's probably why Sue's not making the Lemon-Lime anymore.

Just a quick update-
Sue Pm'd me and advised me that this soap is no longer being sold- she also offered to replace it at her cost..Thanks Sue :smile:

Now what to shave with tomorrow?

Todays soap is LAVENDER Scented HBS shave soap.

As always this is a great shaving soap- slick, easy to lather and a great price, Of all the great scents available lavender is one of my favorites, alas the only complaint I ever have with the HBS is the strength of the scent,especially in the lavender its extremely subtle.In comparison Taylors is strongly scented,and most would say that Taylors is tame stuff.
Overall this is a keeper- add some lavender follow up scents and you are good to face the day.

I love the Honeybee shave soaps. It's hard for me to use anything else. It's kind of like....Okay, today I'll use something else just to get rid of it. Once I've used everything else, I plan on just using the shea butter soap. This morning I used 1 pump of Kiss my Face on top of the Honeybee soap. It was a really nice shave. I have to work soap in there somehow, right?:biggrin:

After reading about the quality of these soaps, and all of the great choices for scents, I can't wait to try them. I only which I was able to build a good lather with soaps. I just can't seem to get it right. But either way, I may just buy some of these, and keep working on it until I get it right. These soaps sound fantastic.

Top Bottom