What's new

Speakeasy Acquisitions September 07

Hey Don, nice looking jewelry box. :biggrin:

LOL, funny you say that. The guy here at work who built my humidor pictured below says he has to hide Humi's he's building from his wife. He says she's scammed 3 humis for jewelry boxes!!!

proxy.php

Today's my birthday, but as luck would have it, I'm at work today and didn't have the foresight to take the day off. Anyways, last night my wife gave me my gift.

3 Perdomo Fresco Maduros (2 toro, 1 churchill)
1 CAO Brazilia Gol
1 Perdomo Gran Habano something or other
1 Perdomo something I can't remember with a red band :)

I'll have to post more details tonight or tomorrow, but what a great wife! She hates the whole hobby, but graciously puts up with it because I enjoy it so much.

Also, just received a Cienfuegos torpedo and a (very long!) RP Conneticut. Thanks Matt!

Today's my birthday, but as luck would have it, I'm at work today and didn't have the foresight to take the day off. Anyways, last night my wife gave me my gift.

3 Perdomo Fresco Maduros (2 toro, 1 churchill)
1 CAO Brazilia Gol
1 Perdomo Gran Habano something or other
1 Perdomo something I can't remember with a red band :)

I'll have to post more details tonight or tomorrow, but what a great wife! She hates the whole hobby, but graciously puts up with it because I enjoy it so much.

Also, just received a Cienfuegos torpedo and a (very long!) RP Conneticut. Thanks Matt!

Well I certainly timed that right! Happy Birthday man! :happybday:

No kidding and thanks for the birthday wishes! Now my wife can't give me crap about being a 1/4 century old...on the other hand, I'm now a year closer to being a 1/2 century old. :cursing: :biggrin:

Cory, the way I look at it:

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Happy birthday BTW!!!

Cory,

Happy Birthday:a14: nice way to start- a lovely wife, wonderful gifts, (fill in what you want here:shifty: ), and finally a wonderful cigar at the end of the day:a14:

Hitting The Coffee Grounds for smokes, coffee, or beer is becoming a Friday afternoon ritual for me. I spent close to an hour in there today smelling the mentioned male food groups and walked out with a half pound of Nicaraguan Taza de Sabor coffee.

My slim wallet and packed humi kept me from picking up a few Torano 1916 Cameroons and Fuente Sun Grown Chateaus for the road.:drool:

Hitting The Coffee Grounds for smokes, coffee, or beer is becoming a Friday afternoon ritual for me. I spent close to an hour in there today smelling the mentioned male food groups and walked out with a half pound of Nicaraguan Taza de Sabor coffee.

My slim wallet and packed humi kept me from picking up a few Torano 1916 Cameroons and Fuente Sun Grown Chateaus for the road.:drool:

Uhh....so you're saying that you've got a place in Eau Claire that has all that stuff under one roof?

[To wife] Honey, pack up the kids. We're leaving!

Uhh....so you're saying that you've got a place in Eau Claire that has all that stuff under one roof?

[To wife] Honey, pack up the kids. We're leaving!

While it is all under one roof(in addition to a great wine selection, a nice variety of spirits, and a growing tea selection)it's doesn't live up to it's potential when it comes to environment and ambiance. Maybe this isn't a huge problem, but a few things about the place just rub me the wrong way. I'm all about supporting my local B&M and Mom and Pop stores, but if you can't even be a little competitive, I'll never consider making a large purchase there, let alone a small one. There is no reason they can't be within $10 of the local grocery stores on a bottle of scotch. Their cigars prices have become fairly reasonable in the past month or so, I think whoever was their previous distributor was taking them big time, because it was madness.

While they do have a huge beer selection, a lot of it is crap. It is all micro brews, but they carry a lot of stuff that I would have a hard time calling good beer, exotic yes, but good...not so much. I've talked to the owner about carrying St. Bernardus and he said he had never heard of it. I also talked to him about carrying Leinie's(come on, Leinie's is our backyard)and he got very defensive saying you can get that anywhere. I guess he thinks his store is the only place that sells wine and coffee. :blink:

Lastly, most of the employees and customers are pretty annoying imo. If I'm in there for any amount of time I start to feel like they think I'm going to steal something as much as they ask if I need help. Sometimes I just make up stuff and ask them about a beer and they reply that they don't really know much about beer. What exactly CAN you help we with then? I'm always very polite, and get them to laugh to try to label myself as a "good customer" or at least not a bad one but it doesn't seem to help. I'm always watched and it's really kind of uncomfortable.

90% of their customers are a little of full of themselves and just plain rude. Not to me, but every time I go in the poor girl behind the counter is being reamed by an upset customer for something that probably isn't her fault. It seems to be either older folks that think the most expensive bottle of wine is the best, or college students that think they own the place because one of their friends works there. The rest of the 10% are the guys(and one very attractive woman)that I chat with in the walk-in about what they like and don't like in the world of cigars. I have to say, they have all been extremely knowladgable, happy to help, and very nice. And they all buy one smoke, and walk out!

I probably made the place out to be a lot worse than it really is. I should be thankful to have a place like that near by. And they do have pretty good coffee.:biggrin1:

Here's what I picked up in Detroit today (excuse the quality of the pics, in a rush and didn't look for good lighting):

proxy.php

proxy.php

And these:

proxy.php

The 2 on the left along with the lighter were gifts to a "First time customer" from the shop.

The 2 on the right are # 30's from the H. Upmann Connoisseur line. Against one of my rules, I smoked one of these today at the shop. I'm going to tell you, I have never had a cigar smoke like this fresh out of a walk-in humidor before. The burn was perfect, the draw was "pure enjoyment", flavour was nice, plenty of smoke, all in all, a very nice smoke. The Hygrometers in the Humi said it was 77-78% RH, and it's my opinion that almost no cigar will burn right at these humidity levels, so maybe they're reading 10-15% high, I dunno. I do know that I can hardly wait to try these after a week resting in 65%. The 2 to the left of those are the #40's from the same line, a Robusto size.

Here's what I picked up in Detroit today (excuse the quality of the pics, in a rush and didn't look for good lighting):

proxy.php

proxy.php

And these:

proxy.php

The 2 on the left along with the lighter were gifts to a "First time customer" from the shop.

The 2 on the right are # 30's from the H. Upmann Connoisseur line. Against one of my rules, I smoked one of these today at the shop. I'm going to tell you, I have never had a cigar smoke like this fresh out of a walk-in humidor before. The burn was perfect, the draw was "pure enjoyment", flavour was nice, plenty of smoke, all in all, a very nice smoke. The Hygrometers in the Humi said it was 77-78% RH, and it's my opinion that almost no cigar will burn right at these humidity levels, so maybe they're reading 10-15% high, I dunno. I do know that I can hardly wait to try these after a week resting in 65%. The 2 to the left of those are the #40's from the same line, a Robusto size.

WOW:001_tt1: :001_tt1: :w00t: :w00t: :thumbup: :thumbup:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

proxy.php

proxy.php

And these:

proxy.php

That loud, sickening thud you just heard was Cory's head hitting the floor. :lol:

Top Bottom