What's new

shave stick?

Do you have to reapply the shaving stick and face lather for every pass?

Sometimes. Most of the time there is enough lather for 3-4 passes. I didn't understand shave sticks when I was starting out. Don't pass them over too soon. In time you may use nothing but. I think they force you to work the lather on your face longer, making your beard and skin better prepared for the blade. If you can't get a decent lather going, apply some more, dip your brush in water and lather again. If all else fails, there are tons of shave stick experts here (not me though).

Last edited:
Do you have to reapply the shaving stick and face lather for every pass?

I'm new to sticks, not new to face lathering.

It works the same as any other soap after the lather builds. If you built enough for subsequent passes then no.

Today I used Velobra with a Semogue 1438 and had enough lather for 3 passes and touch ups. There was plenty left over to brush/wash the rest of my face. So far no matter what size brush I use I have plenty of lather, the Special Pure with 45mm loft and Special Best with 40mm loft.

I actually think it's easier to lather with a stick. It's my belief that the raspy beard does a better job of loading soap than the brush and puck does. More product = more lather.

P

Pjotr

............I actually think it's easier to lather with a stick. It's my belief that the raspy beard does a better job of loading soap than the brush and puck does. More product = more lather.

Without a doubt. It increases the surface area to volume ratio massively. Basically spreads product over a huge area in and round your stubble and face. All you then have to do is dip the tips of your brush in hot water and it explodes on your face. You can actually feel and hear it on your face when more water is needed. And just keep dipping the brush in. You can almost hear the water being sucked in. It's a foolproof way of getting the best lather out of almost anything even vaguely resembling soap. Plus as others have mentioned, you're massaging and preparing your face in a way you couldn't achieve using a bowl. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Two questions:
  1. Do you clean and dry the stick afterwards? An uncovered, damp, coarsened shave stick is an unappealing thought to me.
  2. Given the alleged superiority of sticks, what are the compromises? Are soaps/creams objectively better in any way, or is it all preference?
Curious and looking forward to giving one a go some time.

Two questions:
  1. Do you clean and dry the stick afterwards? An uncovered, damp, coarsened shave stick is an unappealing thought to me.
  2. Given the alleged superiority of sticks, what are the compromises? Are soaps/creams objectively better in any way, or is it all preference?

1. I don't dry my Valobra stick at all - it dries out itself pretty quickly. And it isn't 'rough' either, in fact I'm surprised how smooth it stays after bing rubbed on stubble every morning.
2. The only downside I think there is with a stick is that it doesn't look that flash sitting in the bathroom. Bit that will be easily fixed once I finish my Mitchell's Wool Fat - I'll just store it in the empty MWF tub! The only trouble is that since I've started using the Valobra I haven't used my MWF very much, which is clear evidence that using a shave stick is in no way a compromise or me!

The only possible down side that I can see is that the Valobra seems to be disappearing faster than I thought it would! Oh well, that'll just give me a chance to try a different stick ... Maybe Irisch Moos...

If you're looking for a cheap stick to try - get some of the European Palmolive - it gets pretty good reviews because it's tallow based.

One proviso.

If you are using an Arko Shave stick, modify the above to:

"Wet face, swirl the stick on your stubble, make lather with brush, STAND BACK!!! :w00t:

You won't believe what that thin layer of stick soap will do!

+1

I am always amazed at how much lather is produced from, what at 1st glance, looks like not enough soap. It's magic !!

One downside, at least in my experience, is that they seem to breed like minks. I have about 12 of them scattered on the sink top.

Start with the Arko, Palmolive or Valobra and you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
P

Pjotr

Two questions:

Don't really spend much time cleaning it up afterwards. I've been buying old bakelite shave stick holders and converting soap pucks to fit so no unsightly bare bits of soap hanging out in my den. I do agree that is the only downside to sticks. If you buy Lea sticks, discard the content (in the scheme of things it's a pretty average soap or) use it if you like, and use the container for the right diameter (28mm) sticks you want to buy. I've got a stick of Speick in one. Failing that, grating soaps to fit any container or shape you like or works is pretty easy to do.

Sticks aren't any different to soaps they're just in a different form and delivery method which is what makes them work beautifully. Creams and soft soaps work fantastically too. But as far as hard soaps go it's in stick form for me.

Next time you're down the shops, get a stick of Mennen or Palmolve (same thing) from the shaving isle of any supermarket. It'll cost you a couple of bucks and it's a good soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shave sticks are also fabulous for the ladies. For those that don't use brushes, a nylon bath pouf will generate loads of creamy lather from a stick and make shaving an aromatic enjoyable pleasure.

Sue

Love my shave sticks. The best for me is the German Wilkinson. Its tallow based and has Lanolin and glycerin. It us the best stick I have tried. It smells good also.:tongue_sm

The others I have and use are ARKO and La Toja. Both excellent in their own way, but IMHO the Wilkinson is the best I have used.:thumbup:

Shave sticks are also fabulous for the ladies. For those that don't use brushes, a nylon bath pouf will generate loads of creamy lather from a stick and make shaving an aromatic enjoyable pleasure.

Sue

I am going to tell my wife that!! I am trying to convert her to using proper lather instead of canned jelly.

I kept reading about shave sticks, and bought an Arko when I put an order into BestShave.net. It was my first experience with shave sticks. Why aren't they marketed in North America (why isn't anything cool marketed in North America)? But BestShave is wonderful. You can put together a nice little order to make the shipping a little more cost effective, and the service is fast.
Anyway, the thread is about shave sticks, and Arko is really great, giving me a little more time in the morning, and a great shave to boot. Nice, kind of traditional "soap" smell. I also get great milage out of the one I have, although that may have something to do with the fact that I have a full beard, and only shave half as much as most of you. My son was impressed, so I'm getting a couple for him.

P

Pjotr

I've been told that sticks have just not been traditionally used in the USA. So it's an unknown soap form to most.

P

Pjotr

West Coast Shaving have an excellent selection. Most are highly regarded tallow based soaps. Can't go wromng with any of them.

P

Pjotr

I've heard mixed reports for Erasmic and generally pretty good ones for Arko. Although I am becoming a bit tallow oriented, La Toja is a non tallow soap I'd like to try some time soon.

To Wetshavemike,

Have your wife give it a try. I'm sure she can find a fragrance she likes, and the difference in shaving with shaving soap vs the canned goo is immediately noticeable.
I find the sticks to be particularly easy to use in the shower, and the results are a closer smoother shave. You'll probably notice the difference too :lol:

Sue

Top Bottom