What's new

Bob's "cheap SOB" scuttle

Back at the end of February I lost my last grandparent. She lived to be 95 and it was time. Anyway, my parents have been dealing with her belongings, and today I was over in their garage looking through what didn't sell at the yard sale last weekend. I saw a large soup mug. "Hmmm," I thought. Then I saw an aluminum footed bowl. "Hmmmm some more," I thought. (I thought a lot.) I looked at the bottom of the bowl. "Duralum. Made in Italy." "Well, this should be perfect for Proraso, then," I thought. Does this bowl actually fit into the large soup mug? Yes! And the lip extends over the top of the rim. I brought them home, put some hot water in the mug, set the bowl inside and felt the luxurious heat being conducted through the Duralum (much better than regular aluminum, I'm sure). I'll see how it works tomorrow morning, but I think I've found my scuttle (for now).

That pair looks like they were made for each other! Now you have something to remind you of your grandma everyday. Great match and great story!

That pair looks like they were made for each other! Now you have something to remind you of your grandma everyday. Great match and great story!

They do look like they were meant to fit together. They were items of my grandmother's. I have no idea where she got them; they could have been bought decades apart. It was just a lucky pairing.

Very sweet combination - the fit is seemless, making it look very nice! And it has sentimental value to boot...good luck with it...let us know how it goes.

What a great idea and thanks for sharing it. Your story inspired me to try the same thing. For my lathering bowl I use the GI issue mess bowl that my wife's grandfather used during World War II. It was even with him at the Battle of the Bulge. It fits perfectly inside a soup mug so I will give that a try in the morning. I wish I had not just shaved -- will give it a try tomorrow!

Top Bottom