What's new

Vintage Merkur Ebay listing. What say you?

I'm bringing this from the 'Acquisitions for July 2010' thread for more eyes. Maybe I'm wrong. The seller insists I'm wrong. What say you Merkur fans? Here's the original listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170507203029

Oh, and add this vintage Merkur to the list for today.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Any Merkur fans know what year this is from? Approximate? It's not in Waits.

Well this arrived today and as it turned out, it's not a Merkur. It's an Adams.

It's stamped "Adams Germany" on the bottom head piece. Waits Safety Razor Compendium lists it as "Clay-Adams, Inc., New York, N.Y. Made in Germany. Gillette type double edge, chrome plated, comb guard, head of Mercury (Hermes) on end of handle."

I know Mercur made razors for other brands such as Hoffritz and Pomco but this is not a Merkur made razor. It's an Adams in a Merkur case. The case has "Original Merkur Solingen" and "Made in Germany" inside the lid.

Another sign being that the center round ear piece on the Mercury's head logo on the handle of this Adams razor has 2 lions facing each other. Merkur razors never had 2 lions that I am aware of but instead had either EH (for Emil Hermes, founder of Merkur) in it or 4 intersecting lines, one across top, 1 down each side and 1 across bottom (this is what's on the center ear piece on the Mercury head logo on the outside of the case lid so the logo on the case doesn't match the logo on the razor handle either).

This explains why the razor didn't fetch usual Merkur type money. Seller didn't mention anywhere in the listing anything about Adams.

Disappointed...

From the looks of it, this seller has only sold Gillette razors, and a few(2-3) of the other brands. Given the Merkur box, blade, and very close looking logo to the one on the blade, I can understand the confusion. I doubt this person has the "Waits Razor Compendium"(I'm not even that familiar with it).

Thanks. I called myself doing a search but apparently not with the right parameters or hitting the wrong button or something. This is intriguing. One would think Waits would have listed it being made by Merkur. And of course the Mercury logo on the case not matching the Mercury logo on the razor handle is confusing. This kind of case isn't shown in Waits for the Adams razors. Waits shows a cardboard box or a chrome case.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It's a rebranded Merkur, I have two of them, one of them being the razor purchased from MajorBurnz here and is my user, the other is in my collection. One of mine is West Germany and one is Germany, which one is older is unknown to me. I know the start date of products labeled Western Germany was kind of arbitrary after 1948 but definitely stopped after the wall came down in 1989. Any further information would certainly be appreciated.

Just wait until you try it, the razors do shave really nicely, like a super smooth old type Gillette and very well made. I very pleased to own mine!

It's definitely a nice looking razor and I do plan on using it as I use all my razors at least once before deciding if they are collectable only or go in the shaving rotation.

I was just expecting it to be branded Merkur, as the Ebay listing was leading, and not something else. Had the seller said something about it being marked otherwise or rebranded, etc., I'd have known what to expect. As it is now, my search continues for a vintage Merkur.

On the positive side of things, I offered to the seller that I'd keep it if he'd issue partial refund or I'd send the razor back for a full refund. Seller took the partial offer, refunding half, so we're both happy now.

I picked up this Merkur from a dealer in Brussels (via ebay) that said it was from the 40’s. The orange and white box said # 780 and had the EH head logo yet the handle has the 2 Lions. Also the head is a bit odd as each side of the head has a different style solid safety bar. The razor gives a shave similar to a 34c.

I picked up this Merkur from a dealer in Brussels (via ebay) that said it was from the 40’s. The orange and white box said # 780 and had the EH head logo yet the handle has the 2 Lions. Also the head is a bit odd as each side of the head has a different style solid safety bar. The razor gives a shave similar to a 34c.

Well now that makes it all more confusing. But the one you got from Brussels is the one I thought I was getting.

Well, I shaved with this Merkur/Adams last night, loaded with an IP blade on its second shave. Used Palmolive Classic cream from Europe.

The best shave I've ever had was with a PAL Injecto-Matic injector razor about a week ago. BBS all over. The shave last night with this Merkur/Adams DE was about the same. Color me impressed. I even loved the "singing" it did.. the sound it made as it sliced through the hairs. No pulling, tugging or stuttering - no cuts, knicks, weepers, blood or irritation anywhere. A wonderful little shaver. If you find one of these with the Merkur, Adams or Weck name on it, don't hesitate to buy it and use it.

I just picked up a razor that looks like this one but the top of the head is plain (OC) and the marking on the underside says: Grafco-Germany. The head looks newer to me and has no marks or nicks. The handle is the same with the Merkur logo at the bottom. The handle shows some wear or age and just looks older.

So is Grafco part of Merkur or do I have a Frankenstein razor here? I only dropped $8 on it so it's no big deal. I'm just curious to know the date of it

I found one a few months back in an antique store for $3. I, too, was highly impressed with the shave it provided. Very easy and very smooth. It hasn't seen much use recently due to an influx of other razors (namely my first GEMs and Schicks), but I think it will be the tool of the day tomorrow. Thanks for the update

I just picked up a razor that looks like this one but the top of the head is plain (OC) and the marking on the underside says: Grafco-Germany. The head looks newer to me and has no marks or nicks. The handle is the same with the Merkur logo at the bottom. The handle shows some wear or age and just looks older.

So is Grafco part of Merkur or do I have a Frankenstein razor here? I only dropped $8 on it so it's no big deal. I'm just curious to know the date of it

Grafco was a New York based importer that imported several different brands of razors including Adams, Merkur and others.

This razor is a fine shaver. One just sold on the B/S/T thread for $18.

Top Bottom