What's new

Another gd question.

Another question about the gool (gold) dollar razors on the bay, what the differance between the numbers eg 66, 100, 108, 200, 300 etc? any ones better or worse, or are they all the same?

I have three, if you count the Gold Monkey.
The 108 is the smallest. It is the only one, of my three, that actually has a wedge. The others have the wedge molded as part of the scales.
The 208 is the best looking of my three. It has a more mirrored finish and is larger than the 108.
The Gold Monkey is the largest, and heaviest. I think it is my favorite, although it has a slightly bent tang.

All of mine seem to have their own feel and "personality". For the small amount of money involved, I have enjoyed owning and honing these razors.

GD scales are ugly, but at least on the two I've owned were functional. As a collector though, I don't settle for functional. The one I've kept now resides in Ivory.

I bought two. The 108 off eBay came with a warped tang, but otherwise fine. The 200 from Mystery Razor had no problems. I gave the 108 away because I had bought it to rescale and the bent tang meant it wouldn't fit in the scales I wanted to put it in.

My DA 66 has a satin type finish and lots of heft, but the scale is flimsy. I just received a couple GD 108 from bigjacobsauctions. Imo the GD scale is stronger than the DA. Or atleast that's what my experience has been from comparing the GD 108 vs. DA 66. Maybe the DA was just a really crappy scale. Overall i was pleased with the 108 for under $10. I'm must be lucky cause the tangs on mine were straight and closed fine. To be honest before i got them i was expecting a crude razor i'd probably only use to practice honing. But if they shave anything like my "go to" DA, i'll be very happy and they'll be in my rotation. Besides if Ruprazor thinks their good enough to hone and resell at $50, it must be worth trying... so for $10 and honing it yourself you'd have a good razor. If you're looking for stainless steel.... The GD 800 is their only stainless steel version and most expensive, if you can find it. I've had trouble finding a vendor. Some people think the 200 is SS, but that's still up to debate as you can add/subtract properties to make things magnetic and still be stainless. Other than that their all made of carbon steel. Most of the GD razors are 13/16, between 6/8-7/8. The razors with bottom jimps (66, 208) and jimps top&bottom (100, 200, 777). Only real difference is jimps, scale design, and finish/etching. Hope this helps.

The pic posted is borrowed from another member (Wish i remembered who so i can give them proper credit for it. Let me know if you're that person.)

Last edited:
GD scales are ugly, but at least on the two I've owned were functional. As a collector though, I don't settle for functional. The one I've kept now resides in Ivory.

I bought two. The 108 off eBay came with a warped tang, but otherwise fine. The 200 from Mystery Razor had no problems. I gave the 108 away because I had bought it to rescale and the bent tang meant it wouldn't fit in the scales I wanted to put it in.

This is interesting to me. I am not a collector by any means. I would say that the place for a Gold Dollar razor sits firmly in the "functional" range. To me the best thing about these razors is that they can provide an exceptional shave without the frills, or expense of the more respected brands. That being said I'm considering re-scaling my GD's to give them a bit more heft, and to improve the balance. I hope to do a nice job, but as long as it's functional I'll be happy.

I agree about the GD200 I got from Mysteryrazor.com. It is straight, and without any of the problems people have mentioned about GD's in general. It's a little more money, but I suspect that it's because Jay is only sending out the good ones in the lot.

This is interesting to me. I am not a collector by any means. I would say that the place for a Gold Dollar razor sits firmly in the "functional" range. To me the best thing about these razors is that they can provide an exceptional shave without the frills, or expense of the more respected brands. That being said I'm considering re-scaling my GD's to give them a bit more heft, and to improve the balance. I hope to do a nice job, but as long as it's functional I'll be happy.

I agree about the GD200 I got from Mysteryrazor.com. It is straight, and without any of the problems people have mentioned about GD's in general. It's a little more money, but I suspect that it's because Jay is only sending out the good ones in the lot.

The 200 series has a different grind and tang than the original GD 74(which is identical to a Double Arrow). the 200s are a bit better finished overall, and of the 3-4 I've handled I have not seen any issues with bent tangs like I have seen with the 74 model. The steel and edge capabilty on all of them seems equal.

Though i find the gd's do suffer with wide shoulders so do need to be watched when being honed.

Either way i like them, can be trickier to hone so not ideal for a beginner if they plan on shaving with it, personally id suggest a good vintage for starters then progress onto the gd when you gain more experience so know what to look for.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I really don't...but did anyone else look at the title of the thread and chuckle a little bit?

I ordered the ivory colored plastic, don't remember the number, as well as the mystery razor. Not much difference other than the mystery razor being a wider blade. Both hone the same and shave the same.

GDs will take a good edge, but you want to clean-up the heel and probably rescale or at least tighten the pins.

Taffy, apologies for hijacking your thread slightly but I can offer a few comparisons now....my 2 new GD's (from Mr Parko) have just arrived :001_smile

I went for the "any 2 from 6 styles" for $22 (free shipping from Hong Kong). As I've already got a #208 (honed beautifully by Bart and shaves great), I went for the #777 and the #108. They are going to be re-scaling and honing projects to practice on before I do any more vintage blades.

They are both 6/8 (compared to the almost 7/8 of the 208), round point.

The scales are cheap, flimsy plastic. The 777 is "wood" and the 108 is "ivory".

The 777 is wedgeless...just 2 pieces like the 208. Although these ones are actually dangerous...when fully closed, the heel end of the blade is exposed! :scared: It also closes off centre, although this looks like it's due to the scales rather than the blade/tang.

The 108 has a wedge and closes evenly.

Both are pinned with cheap "brass" pins...large head on the left side and a roughly peened head and washer on the right side.

Overall lengths (tang to tip): 777 is 5 7/8", 108 is 5 4/8"
Blade length: Both 2 6/8", the 777's heel is quite steeply angled.

Weights: 777 is 51g, 108 is 40g (I'll re-weigh after I take the scales off).

The 777 is embossed with "Gold Monkey" the 108 with a blue "Gold Dollar" logo.

Both razors look to be straight (no warps) when held against a straight edge. The 777 has a very slight smile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom