What's new

New Dovo's - ***'?

This isn't a new thing.... I ran into the same issue with my $500 Mammoth Ivory Dovo. The quality of the top of the line Dovo's being pumped out as fast as possible now - would get a craftsman fired from Dovo a mere 5-6 years ago.

I must admit that I cannot help but feel a bit surprised by how fast time flies. You know, not so very long ago, another company was considered a Point Of Sale by one of the posters in this thread:

Or how about this one?

In a nutshell, I still have to see a truly faulty Dovo from a reputable vendor, and I would like to gently remind you that Dovo employs German master craftsmen. While some of you claim to be something-Meister, a German Meister is not what you might think it is. The Wikipedia article may give you some insight, and also put your ideas of quality assurance into perspective.

Regards,
Robin

Joel isn't being inconsistent. He said that the quality control was better 5-6 years ago and the posts you referenced to are from March 2004 or 5.5 years ago.

Is this a definition for those that cannot google or your position on the quality of dovo razors?

Robin referred to *** as Point of Sale so perhaps that's why there's a link for the definition.

It doesn't say anything about Dovo, though. Dovo themselves claim to produce 150 razors per day. Given the QA standards in Germany, you guys really must have had a severe case of bad luck - or a really old batch.

Not an old batch - it's a brand new model (prima klang). Dunno what Dovo you're getting your razors from - but i'll trade you mine for yours :wink:

Wow, you paid $500 for the mammoth Dovo? I got mine on Eboy used for $120 and personally I think thats what its worth. Very poor balance, doesn't feel good in the hand, mediocre finishing and matching on the scales. However its shaves great after I honed it.

Maybe it was $400? Whatever classic was selling them for. I agree - it shaves nice, but is a *** - and not worth near what they wanted for it.

Not so long ago, I got involved in a SRP forum thread about DOVO quality and specifically about warped blades. The forum's founder who hones and sells DOVO's for a living was taking the same sort of line that BeBerlin is taking in his posts above. He however was unable to accept quality control criticism and actually cancelled the thread. I was so disgusted with the censorship I stopped posting on that forum and left it.

I have had a new dovo with a twisted blade and the pivot pin had been so badly bent during fitting that the scales twisted on opening and sat unevenly when closed. The razor came to me in a sealed box. It's a bit like buying a new car that gives you problems. You never buy that make again. You never forget poor quality when your hopes and expectations are dashed.

Many guys read these forums for a period just to get into the routine of shaving and then they cut loose. I have been reading the shaving forums since they commenced and the number of posts that are from new straight users who have purchased their pride and joy only to find that the blade arrived in a non shave worthy condition or won't hone because it is warped somehow. The number of guys who hone razors who have seen the problems time and time again. It is really quite unforgiveable.

Well I got so upset by it that nowdays, I always recommend that guys buy vintage or reconditioned to ensure they get quality as buying new can be a bit of an expensive lottery.

So to hear now that Dovo is taking an active interest in quality is well interesting, but I have had one of those bad cars and seen a few more and nothing will ever persuade me that it's all changed. I don't buy that argument.

Sorry for your experience Joel and thanks for warning others.

Last edited:
I must admit that I cannot help but feel a bit surprised by how fast time flies. You know, not so very long ago, another company was considered a Point Of Sale by one of the posters in this thread:

Or how about this one?

In a nutshell, I still have to see a truly faulty Dovo from a reputable vendor, and I would like to gently remind you that Dovo employs German master craftsmen. While some of you claim to be something-Meister, a German Meister is not what you might think it is. The Wikipedia article may give you some insight, and also put your ideas of quality assurance into perspective.

Regards,
Robin

It's official - TROLL ALERT. Being that you're in Germany, have almost all of your posts in this thread, claim you have seen over 500 new dovo's, are arguing with everyone who thinks Dovo's are ***', and are trying to make last ditch effort to improperly discredit me, I think you're likely affiliated with Dovo.

In any case - let the reaming begin....

#1 - Do you see the date on that post you are attempting to discredit me with? 5 years ago bud. Now, slowly re-read my original post and pay special attention to the last sentence in paragraph three. "They used to be the defacto choice, but now - i'd argue new TI's are better built." Dun dun du da - your attempt to discredit me, only strengthen's my point - I'm a long time Dovo fan, and as of late, their products have turned south. Why would I spend money on a new Dovo if I wasn't a fan? What would my motive be? To waste my own money? The bottom line is - the craftsmanship is embarrassing and anyone at Dovo should be ashamed to be associated with such poor quality products.

#2 - Cut the weak excuses. A valid excuse isn't that "one or two or 50 slipped by" - if you look at other quality cutlery manufacturers - their "dud" rate entering the public is almost non-existent. Dovo used to do this, so they're capable of doing so, but they don't any longer.

#3 - Tell me how the "top of the line" dovo, the most expensive razor they have ever produced, could have the defects below from the factory and not get caught by QC? This was from Classicshaving RIGHT as this model came out in a sealed box with the pictures taken right after the light film of oil was wiped off of the razor. BUT WAIT - before I go any further, keep in mind this was the SECOND mammoth ivory Dovo I had received, as the first one had to be sent back due to cracked scales and the blade was so badly warped it was unfit for shaving (read here)....

Pitting on the blade...
full

Horribly misground spine and shoulder...
full

More pitting and an edge that looks like it was ground on a 2K grit stone....
full

A lopsided piece of ivory which is a totally different shape/size/weight that the piece on the other side...
full

full

My 2 complaint emails to Dovo were completely ignored.

I eagerly await your response as to why such a high quality factory, employing these illustrious "German Master Craftsmen" as you put it - are shipping product that the Chinese/Pakistani factories would be embarrassed to put their name on? Ever seen a Chinese double arrow? Sure makes the build quality of these Dovo's look shoddy... maybe you should pick one up (they're dirt cheap) as it might change your view on things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel, why not just use a TI as an everyday razor. The balance and feel is better. I have no problems with my three recent vintage DOVOs, they shave well but just not as well as my TIs.

In BeBerlin's defence, I don't think he's trolling. He's actually a very active member over at SRP (1900 posts), and to my knowledge has nothing to do with Dovo.

Just sayin'... is all.

s.

With a company that has a good reputation like Dovo you'd think even if they have a low 'dud' rate, and when one was found, they'd bend over backward to fix the problem. The photos I see in this thread lead me to continue the track of vintage blades and I doubt I'd ever get a new Dovo unless I heard the problems were at least acknowledged and taken care of.

Joel, why not just use a TI as an everyday razor. The balance and feel is better. I have no problems with my three recent vintage DOVOs, they shave well but just not as well as my TIs.

I've got 20+ TI's, but the steel they use, tends to get water spots. If you use the same razor every day (unless you want to coat it in oil after each shave) it'll get water spots, which I can't have on my beloved TI's and customs, which I reserve for weekends, special occasions, etc.

The Prima Klang (extra hollow) Dovo's actually shave as good as a TI, but unfortunately, they're just not built as well.

In BeBerlin's defence, I don't think he's trolling. He's actually a very active member over at SRP (1900 posts), and to my knowledge has nothing to do with Dovo.

Just sayin'... is all.

s.

He's also a mod there and his only posts here are either defending SRD or Dovos.

I've got 20+ TI's, but the steel they use, tends to get water spots. If you use the same razor every day (unless you want to coat it in oil after each shave) it'll get water spots, which I can't have on my beloved TI's and customs, which I reserve for weekends, special occasions, etc.

The Prima Klang (extra hollow) Dovo's actually shave as good as a TI, but unfortunately, they're just not built as well.

I had a TI discolor while I was honing it!!

Guys may I make one point here, and I am just as guilty as the rest here....I admit it...

But pointing out a problem with a razor is one thing, but bashing the very companies that feed our addictions might not be such a great idea...
As I freely admit I have my problems with TI's, I haven't noticed the same problems with Dovo's but heck maybe I am just lucky with one and unlucky with the other... But I do realize that if we all start bashing these companies we really will be stuck bashing each other on e-bay and other auction places over the vintage stuff....So maybe we need to note the problems and let the companies know about it, and if they DO NOT listen then maybe it is time to get together and send multiple e-mails all on the same day...

Between SRP B&B TSD & SMF we are their customer base, they have to listen, or they will go out of business....

Anyway those are my thoughts, when I see straight razor users talking against each other, instead of uniting with each other, to solve the problem....

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I too received a *** Dovo, that was honed by ::, from a very good vendor who made it right, but it was a *** and nobody caught it

sixgun,i would agree with your point save for the fact that these companies,if they were even a little bit interested in our opinion,should be on these sites just like we are.they'd find out quick what the problem was.i got a dovo bergischer lowe not a couple months ago with the same problems.not bothering with new anymore for now.vintage is the way to go.or custom.

Top Bottom