What's new

Eggnog

Tis the season and the eggnog is back in the local supermarkets. My favorite is a store brand that sells for $2.50 per half gallon, and it tastes better than the ones where the price is higher than that for a single quart.

:arf: And I like it with fresh grated nutmeg. In fixing myself a cup just now, I managed to drop the nut into the cup. While fishing around in the cup for it with a spoon, I pondered the idea of fresh home made eggnog. I've tried that in the past, but with disappointing results. While rinsing off the rescued nut and finally dusting the cup with it I concluded that I should ask here to see if anyone has a favorite home made eggnog recipe. I rarely have it with spirits mixed in.

My cup is empty already, time to fix another! :tongue_sm

What I currently have is Kroger's, which is what I was referring to earlier. Kroger's is a grocery store chain in the U.S.

Do any of you guys have a Farm Crest? or a Royal Crest dairy? We have them here in Colorado and the eggnog is really really good. Kroger......isnt King Soopers the same, someone told me that.

I have been making home made egg nog for years and it's always a hit. The stuff you get in the store isn't real egg nog but a modern concoction created to mimic an old classic. It's a nice substitute but not quite like the real thing. I made it for Thanksgiving this year and will make another batch of it for Christmas.

Here's the recipe I use:

1 dozen large eggs
1 quart of heavy whipping cream
2 quarts of milk
1 pound of 10x confectionary sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Fresh grated nutmeg (or pre-grated from store)
1 gallon empty container (say, an empty plastic milk container)
1 ½ gallon empty container

1. Separate eggs into egg whites and egg yolks into 2 bowls.
2. Whip egg whites until stiff (easier if 1 cup of 10x sugar is added first before whipping).
3. Whip heavy cream until stiff (easier if 1 cup of 10x sugar is added first before whipping) in a separate bowl.
4. Pour whipped egg whites, whipped cream and 2 quarts of milk (any kind of milk will do) into a VERY LARGE bowl and mix thoroughly.
5. Add remaining sugar, vanilla extract and nutmeg to taste to the egg yolks and whisk until thick and pasty.
6. Add the egg yolks to the big bowl of cream, milk egg whites etc and mix thoroughly.

You will need at least a one gallon container plus a half gallon container to put the mixture into when done mixing. Let the egg nog sit for 24 hours in the refrigerator before tasting. Shake container thoroughly before pouring a drink – EACH and EVERY Time. Add spirits to individual glasses if desired.
Very fattening but delicious! Hope you enjoy.

Chris

Around my house we put Southern Comfort.......thats what the back of the jug says to do anyway. Works for me!

Eggnog without the Southern Comfort is like White Castles without the onions. Some sort of bourbon is required, and although you wouldn't catch me drinking the stuff otherwise, my eggnog mixes with SoCo.

El, your recipe is very different from the one that I have in The Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook.

1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon sugar or honey
Salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Dash nutmeg

Of course, this is for one cup. They do mention that separating the egg and beating the white is optional.

El, your recipe is very different from the one that I have in The Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook.

1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon sugar or honey
Salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Dash nutmeg

Of course, this is for one cup. They do mention that separating the egg and beating the white is optional.

would somebody get a video of this and put it on the news.....

:a13: :a7: :a6: :a19: :a53:

In the southwest VA area, there is a local dairy that is available in a lot of grocery stores. Don't remember the name. Comes in glass old school milk jugs. And not much more expensive than regular milk, as long as you do return the bottles.

Anyway, they make the best commercial eggnog I've had by far. Although I like them all.

Homemade is something else entirely. Brandy also works, btw.

-Mo

I have been making home made egg nog for years and it's always a hit. The stuff you get in the store isn't real egg nog but a modern concoction created to mimic an old classic. It's a nice substitute but not quite like the real thing. I made it for Thanksgiving this year and will make another batch of it for Christmas.

Hi Chris. Right you are! Homemade eggnog is just that. REAL eggnog. For years I wondered why I couldn't duplicate that thickish concoction from the store. Then I got a bit older, learned a lot more about cooking(or in this case NOT cooking it), and started making stuff that is very popular with the family. I now rarely drink what comes from stores. I find it telling that Mo found one in the glass jars that was really good. Likely it was not full of high fructose corn syrup. Ever since I made some good eggnog at home, I've hardly touched any commercial stuff. Hey, it's only an opinion. Any eggnog tastes great when you haven't had some for awhile! BTW, you guys who like nutmeg on your nog. Try getting the whole nutmeg seeds from a food store and grind them yourself. It is literally night and day. We topped some hasty puddings with this a week or so ago. Gastronomical wonderland.

Regards, Todd

The dairy farm in my small rural town that sells me my milk, other dairy products and fresh veggies in season does eggnog twice a tear, Christmas & Easter. By far the best I have ever had.

-Scott-

Top Bottom