PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Boy Shaving Cream

guenron
12-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Greetings Gents!
I can unequivocally say that Nancy Boy (http://www.NancyBoy.com/) has much more than customer service and their customer service is excellent! I used about seven different Nancy Boy products this AM and I am certainly pleased with both the products and the results. Though I am not here to type about the shampoo (http://www.nancyboy.com/product.php?productid=16249&cat=252&page=1)and conditioner (http://www.nancyboy.com/product.php?productid=16247&cat=252&page=1)or invigorating body wash (http://www.nancyboy.com/product.php?productid=16309&cat=262&page=1), I shall note in passing that they are really excellent products. My hair has not looked this good, nor has my scalp felt so good in years. But I tarry too long.
Nancy Boy shaving cream (http://www.nancyboy.com/product.php?productid=16267&cat=253&page=1) is the topic at hand. It is my first use, but oh what a wonderful shave and lather experience. I did the standard (light) poke and twist with my Savile Row 3128 Silvertip lather canon. Took about two dozen whips in the Mikasa Yardley lather (cereal) bowl and low and behold, HEAPS, GOBS, and MOUNTAINS of extremely moist and lubricious lather. What a delight! It has no added fragrance other than the refreshing and invigorating scent of its constituents. After four really super passes with the Futur, the cream was still moist and ready to go for more! I may break the rotation and give it another go tomorrow just to make sure that this was not a FIRST USE ANOMALY! This is really stellar stuff! I used the aftershave gel and found it to be pleasant and refreshing too. Below is a shot of the products and tools after the four passes:

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=968

Scotto
12-14-2005, 11:56 AM
My order arrives Friday. Can't wait!

guenron
12-14-2005, 12:00 PM
My order arrives Friday. Can't wait!
I certainly hope that you enjoy it as much as I!:shaving:

rtaylor61
12-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Scotto,

It will be worth the wait. I received my replacement package yesterday. My first package was left on my balcony in zero degree weather, and Eric Roos at Nancy Boy immediately dispatched a replacement. I did not shave with it today, but last night I did whip up a bowl of lather. Incredible scent, and it will be used tomorrow!

Randy

Austin
12-14-2005, 12:24 PM
You guys are a bunch of Nancy Boys. :biggrin:

Scotto
12-14-2005, 12:34 PM
....not that there is anything wrong with that... :wink:

Nick
12-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Nice review Ron.

Is the aftershave scentless as well?

-Nick

guenron
12-14-2005, 01:29 PM
So far the group of toilettries I have used all have this same clean, refreshing scent. It believe that it is all artificial fragrance free. It's really strange, my hair looks and feels so good I've gone from faceturbating to hair-rubbing!:biggrin:

Scotto
12-18-2005, 01:13 PM
I used the Nancy Boy cream this morning, and I can say that I think this stuff is at least on par with, and perhaps better than the three T's. Incredible, rich, moisturizing lather with a dynamite, natural scent. You can tell from the moment you dip your finger (or brush) into it that this stuff is just pure goodness. Kudos to Eric and company on this one.

On another note, the hand Lotion just might be the best moisturizer I have come across. Sinks in quick, smells great, non-greasy, and incredibly moisturizing. I continue to be wowed by this company.

roughrider
12-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the reviews boys.

guenron
12-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Just an update, so far I have used:

Shampoo
Conditioner
Shaving Cream
Aftershave Gel
Light Facial Scrub
Invigorating Body Scrub
Styling Gel
Body Moisturizer

The least of these products is very, very good. The average is really excellent. For instance, I am not normally a styling gel user, but decided to try the Nancy Boy product. Excellent. No crappy gunk this stuff.. Clean with resilient holding power.. Even with my thinning crown.. I have yet to try the bath bar soap, but that will be worked into the routine also..

crackstar
12-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Ron, I've heard many reviews of Nancy Boy shaving cream and other products, where can they be purchased?

Jeff

rtaylor61
12-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Jeff,

Try www.nancyboy.com

Randy

crackstar
12-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Randy, I'm going there right now, tomorrow, I'll let you know what I'm going to do. Thanks again!

Jeff:smile:

gage0921
12-18-2005, 05:02 PM
OK....like....I wish I would have known about these way cute products before:001_tt2: All of this looks very interesting and the price is great, will be buying these when I return from sea.

HlSheppard
12-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Just went down for some as well...

Ron, can I come live with you when my wife kicks me out?? :a38:

guenron
12-18-2005, 08:12 PM
I purchased the Road Trip (http://www.nancyboy.com/product.php?productid=16317&cat=261&page=1) so that I could try there product line. I am pleased that I did. At first I was reticent because there were some items that I thought I would never use. WRONG! I did not receive the signature ribbon, but I can live without it.. :smile:

guenron
12-18-2005, 08:41 PM
Just went down for some as well...

Ron, can I come live with you when my wife kicks me out?? :a38:
Okay Howard. Just buy your travel toiletries before she drops the hammer!!:001_rolle

dawgball
10-07-2006, 07:25 AM
I got this from Scotto in a sample pack. This is one of the six I got. I shaved with this three days ago. Lather was just okay. Even trying different cream-water ratios. Shave was okay but not great. It did leave my face feeling very moistuerized after the shave.

I feel Nancy Boy was a better shave than the Trumpers coconut. QED Lime and Prorasso green tube gave me better shaves, than the Nancy Boy and Trumpers coconut.

I got four more samples to try yet.:biggrin1:

moses
10-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Personally, NB is not my favorite. I don't love the scent, but of course that is totally personal. I also find, though, that I do not love the shave either. It just did not seem to lubricate that well too me, or something. Personally, I like Trumper creams, at least the few I have tried, and find them to work better for me than this.

-Mo

Duggo
10-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Moses:

Could you describe the scent of the Nancy Boy?

Thanks.

Duggo

jbasl
10-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Lavender rosemary mint (sorry I'm not who you asked but I have a tub). I really enjoy the smell (the mint comes off most strongly but you get a whiff of the rest). I haven't been able to get a good lather out of NB but its awesome when mixed with a slight amount of another cream. If you get the mix just right you can tone down the mint scent and bring out the others. I often mix it with a tad of my Taylor's lav. or some rose cream.

NB is not my go to cream (due to lather issues) but I use it whenever I'm doing a single pass straight shave (two or three times a week) since it lathers up enough for this and gives me a good shave that smells great (especially when finished off with NB a/s gel diluted with Lav. witch hazel).

Hope that helps,

John

moses
10-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Well, John kinda covered it. Sort of reminds me of a mint flavored cough drop. Minty primarily, but with a medicinal undertone, and a bit candyish.

Understand though, that in all fairness, I do not think I care for the smell of mint much, outside of certain candies.

Also, it is only fair to point out that NB was designed brushless. Some people find it lathers like nobody's business, and I did not have much trouble getting a decent lather. But it was not really designed for this, which may explain why some folk have trouble. If you are having trouble lathering, you might try using it brushless.

-Mo

jbasl
10-07-2006, 09:18 PM
blasphemy! I actually enjoy using it with another cream because the mint is a bit strong.

zachster
10-07-2006, 10:24 PM
I was beginning to wonder whether anybody has followed NB's instructions for brushless application. I'm thinking of trying it on Monday (sorry, John)...

sparky5693
10-08-2006, 07:28 PM
I used it brushless while on vacation last week. It works well, but better with a brush.

scruffyv
10-08-2006, 09:32 PM
I am a noob and have only a few shaves under my belt. I saw the raves about NB and gave them a shot. I think the cream is excellent. The fragrance is unique. I like it but not every day. I think Prorase is slightly slicker, and I think Body Shop Mens shaving cream is more moisturizing and slicker, but I wish it came with a fragrance. So relative to the few creams I have tried so far NB is about third, but definitely in my rotation. The soap bar they threw in on my order is already a family favorite. The Aftershave gel is very good. I also have their shave oil which is all natural. I think the oil smells great and feels great but does little to add to the slickness of the shave. ALl above just my own relatively inexperienced opinion, fwiw.

Mal
10-23-2006, 08:59 AM
I just got my first jar of NB this past Saturday. I can say without a doubt that this is my new favorite cream. I mean, it's not even close. I love this stuff. The only cream that comes close is Taylor's Avocado which I'll keep on hand for an occasional change-up. However, NB is definitely going to be my daily "go to" cream.

I love the smell of it. I grew up using Dr. Bonner's Peppermint Soap so I love the smell and cooling feel of mint. The NB is a better and more complex scent with the addition of rosemary and lavender.

The consistency of the cream in the jar is perfect. It's a brushless cream so I was expecting it to be almost like whipped cream. It's not as thick as the 3 T's, but it looks and feels like shave cream should.

It lathers very well. I probably use more cream that I should so using what I'd consider a normal amount of NB does just fine. I only do 2 passes (N-S and S-N), but Im sure I could easily do 4 with the amount of lather I get.

The lubricity is perfect. The razor just glides across my skin. I've maybe only used a half dozen creams in the 4 months Ive been wet shaving. I would, however, be surprised to ever find any cream that lubricates better than this one. Taylor's Avocado lubricates as well, but not better.

The only downside to NB is that it's not available in stores. I joined Club Nancy Boy for the 15% discount, but I still had to pay $7 shipping. I would--and will--do it again, but I'll probably buy $50 worth of cream to get the free shipping. Like I said, NB is now my daily default cream so I am perfectly happy buying it in bulk.

They did throw in a *HUGE* bar of bath soap so at least I got a $6 freebie for my $7 shipping. I'm not joking here. Their bars of bath soap are freaking massive. Too bad my wife has already stolen the soap. She loves it. :smile:

scruffyv
10-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah, the soap is good-- at this point I have tried all the scents, and the NB Signature Scent in the soap is just addictive. The whole family uses it. It costs a fiver but lasts forever--- unlike a bar of dial that costs 50 cents but lasts maybe a week.

holnrew
10-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Their shipping policy to the UK is $35 for any size order, so to make it worth while you'd have to make a hugely massive order for it to be worthwhile. Might be worth ordering 20 or so tubs of cream and reselling them on ebay, there must be some other UK folks who'd buy some.

qap
11-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah I'm in the same unfortunate situation. The stuff sounds great, but I'm in UK and there's NO way of buying it except the online store + $35 shipping to UK.

Can anyone help me out somehow? :crying:

Larry C in Texas
11-13-2006, 09:53 AM
I used the NB in combination with a puck of classicshaving soap in the superlather configuration, and it was awesome. It has been the best in the superlather tryouts of all the creams. I just had a sample size, and I guess I need to buy a full size now that I found the secret to exploding NB lather.

YMMV.

vespergo
11-13-2006, 04:49 PM
hmm, i've never had too much of a trouble getting the NB to lather, though it doesn't produce a ton of lather like some others produce, i think it's about the same as the amount i get from taylors.

Phisig255
12-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Yes!! The Customer Service from their Co-Founder, Eric is REMARKABLE! I highly recommend their store!
Happy "Nancy Boy" Shaving!

av8roc
12-16-2006, 11:53 AM
I am trying so hard to love Nancy Boy....

I absolutely love the signature scent, I am not a the "cologne wearing" type of guy and the NB scent is right up my alley. I ordered a sample pack from Scotto and I have gone throught the NB waay faster than the other creams.

At the same time I have to say I dont get the greatest shaves with it. I find you need more of the cream to make a good lather and the water/cream ratio is much more difficult to nail as opposed to my other creams. The cream doesnt seem to moisturize as well as the others either...the blade doesnt glide across the skin as well.

I like the idea of a small company with a great product and great customer service. I am just about out of my sample and I think I may place an order just to keep working with it..

strange that I am so drawn to a cream that I have so much trouble with!:biggrin:

PottyDoctor
12-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Seems the NB cream gets as much of a mixed review as any shaving product out there. I am one of those who absolutely love the stuff...the scent, the lubricity, the luxurious lather. And I never, never have trouble making a sumptuous lather with this stuff. It is one of the easiest creams to lather that I have in my rotation. As some have mentioned, this may be due to water quality varying so much around the country.

And yes, their bath bars are my favorite as well. They got me hooked by sending me one free with my first order and it completely changed the way my skin felt during and after my shower. No more dry, itchy, scaly skin. I recently ran out of NB bath bars and switched back to my old soap, Lever. Strangest thing happened in addition to the dry, itchy skin again. I began experiencing irritation in my shaves. I had experienced some irritation when I began DE shaving about fifteen months ago but it went away. Thinking back, it seems the irritation disappeared about the time I began using the NB bath bars.

I've ordered some new handmade moisturizing soaps that should arrive soon. I'll see what effect they have on the quality of my shave. I attribute the irritation to under moisturized facial skin. Just my home spun theory, FWIW.

Anyway, I'm about out of NB shave cream, so I plan on ordering more along with more bath bars. However, I'm planning on waiting until they get the packaging worked out on their new Replenishing Cucumber Scent shave cream. Right now it's only available in the travel size...not gonna' be enough for this NB lover.

Their products are a great value, especially if you are a Club Nancy Boy member and get 15% off and free shipping for orders $50 or more. And a real wetshaver never, never has a problem submitting a $50 order!

av8roc
12-16-2006, 05:35 PM
interesting...

do you have hard or soft water pd? I have very hard water.

PottyDoctor
12-17-2006, 10:10 AM
interesting...

do you have hard or soft water pd? I have very hard water.

I would consider my water to be somewhere between soft and hard, if that makes any sense. I have tried distilled water to see if it makes a difference in creating lather; it improves latherablity to a degree, but not significantly. However, another irritant we don't talk about much is chlorine in our water. Some of us who have sensitive skin are probably effected by it, at least to some degree.

av8roc
12-17-2006, 03:47 PM
I was more wondering about latherability. Despite the short amount of time wetshaving I have developed a bad case of SCAD and NB seems to be one of the more difficult creams to work up a good lather. I figured because it wasnt designed for a brush but it seems some of you guys find it very easy.

6jokers
12-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Count me in on the Nancy Boy bandwagon. I've used the shave cream, AS balm, face wash, body wash, body bar, & laundry soap. All of which I will purchase again. The only product I didn't care for was the Ultrmarine Night Cream, but I think it just wasn't appropriate for my skin type. YMMV.

Also, they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee & exemplory customer service. You really can't go wrong with NB.

Abloy
12-22-2006, 01:42 AM
I really like the NB shaving cream, probably in part because it was my first really decent quality cream purchase, and I have the most familiarity with it. I've used it brushless while traveling, and it honestly shaved very well that way, though I did use pretty forgiving razors (Gillette Lady's TTO with a Merkur blade, and a J1 Injector with personna blades).

I generally strong scents, so the very mild, and quickly disapating NB original suits me well. I do wish that shipping was cheaper, but I may eventually just buy $50 worth and be done with it.

Its possible that C&E and Musko shave as well or better for me, but they smell stronger, and they certainly aren't significantly better, at least with my cheap brush.

I emailed NB about directions since I wasn't sure whether they recommended using the facial cleanser pre-shave (I bought the travel combo), and I have to say that they promptly responded in great detail and were VERY pleasant to deal with.

M Guthner
12-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Just got an order of NB cream and aftershave gel today. Not too sure about the aftershave, but the cream was fantastic - got my best shave so far with it. It lathered up very quick and made the blade glide a lot smoother than the Proraso I've been using. Not as much of a difference than the AOS Sandlewood I got yesterday, but enough to tell it was a better shave. Definately try it if you havent.

brandino
12-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Happy Holidays everyone!

I've been like a vulture around this forum the last month or so, gathering as much information as I can to become acclamated to DE shaving. (I'm 23-years-old and have been shaving with an electric for around seven years.)

With that said, I purchased a Merkur HD 3 piece razor set (complete with badger brush and stand) from menessentials.com about a month ago. I have just begun to get BBS shaves (employing the proper razor angle, pressure, preparation, and using Israeli Personna blades).

I started using Nancy Boy shaving cream based on positive reviews from members of this forum as well as menessentials.com posters. My problem with the cream is that I can never get the lather to stay effective throughout my entire shave. More specifically, I lather the cream in a bowl with my badger brush and, by my third pass, the cream's texture is thin and runnyŚmaking it useless. It isn't that the cream is too wet or dry (I have played with the water: cream ratio and have found a happy medium), but that the cream itself just seems to evaporate after a couple of passes.

Comparatively, I recently purchased a green tube of Proraso cream and have been able to make four passes on my face with loads of lather left to spare.

Any experience with Nancy Boy or suggestions on how to hold the lather throughout the shave? Does the lather dissipate because the cream is essentially meant to be used without a brush?

Thanks guys,
Brandon

docslytherin
12-30-2006, 09:26 PM
i've had similar problems occasionally with various creams. basically what i do is just give a couple swirls around the bowl with the brush before i start the second or third lathering. i don't always have to do this, and i'm doing it less often as i get better at generating the lather initially.

PottyDoctor
12-31-2006, 05:37 AM
Brandon,

I love the NB Cream as well; it is in my top 3 list for sure. I've found it takes slightly more cream to start with than some other creams...and for me it's worth it to experience the luxurious, creamy, moisturizing lather that NB produces. I also give it a few extra stirs after each pass and it seems to thicken back up just great.

Have you tried their new NB Replenishing Shave Cream, the cucumber/melon scent that they've just released? I've been waiting for some feedback from a few folks who have tried it. It is the same formula but with the addition of the cucumber distillate. Sounds like a really clean smell.

brandino
12-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Ron,

I have not tried their new shave cream yet, but it sounds like I might like it more than their original (being a fan of cucumber over peppermint).

I, too, have found that it takes a little more cream than other brands to generate lather. I usually employ your method of stirring the cream before each pass as well.

Do you find that Nancy Boy dries up faster than other creams you've tried?

Thanks,
Brandon

PottyDoctor
01-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Ron,

I have not tried their new shave cream yet, but it sounds like I might like it more than their original (being a fan of cucumber over peppermint).

I, too, have found that it takes a little more cream than other brands to generate lather. I usually employ your method of stirring the cream before each pass as well.

Do you find that Nancy Boy dries up faster than other creams you've tried?

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon,

The NB might dry slightly faster than other creams. However, I even use a mug warmer to keep my huge latte mixing cup hot between passes and I don't see any excessive drying. I do sometimes add a few extra drops of water but I think that's due to the heat of the mug warmer.

At first I had mixed reactions to the fragrances of the Signature Scent, but continued use converted me to the point that I really like it. And it is one of the only 'mint' creams I am able to use without irritation. Anything with menthol lights my face up like a torch, but fortunately the peppermint causes no reaction. The scent does remind me somewhat of the Noxema skin/beauty cream that my mother used when I was a kid.

I really love most of the cucumber scents I've experienced and really look forward to trying their latest offering when I submit my next order. In addition, they only offer it in the 'travel size', 1.5 oz packaging at this time; not really a great value.

smn
01-01-2007, 09:08 AM
I purchased the NB shaving cream and AS and they are great products. I must use the Proraso pre-shave with them or my Progress will not slide very well.

The scents are fantastic, not overpowering, but just right.

brandino
01-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Brandon,

The NB might dry slightly faster than other creams. However, I even use a mug warmer to keep my huge latte mixing cup hot between passes and I don't see any excessive drying. I do sometimes add a few extra drops of water but I think that's due to the heat of the mug warmer.

At first I had mixed reactions to the fragrances of the Signature Scent, but continued use converted me to the point that I really like it. And it is one of the only 'mint' creams I am able to use without irritation. Anything with menthol lights my face up like a torch, but fortunately the peppermint causes no reaction. The scent does remind me somewhat of the Noxema skin/beauty cream that my mother used when I was a kid.

I really love most of the cucumber scents I've experienced and really look forward to trying their latest offering when I submit my next order. In addition, they only offer it in the 'travel size', 1.5 oz packaging at this time; not really a great value.

Today, I actually used Nancy Boy with a brush, but instead of using a bowl to lather the cream, I generated lather on my face. Using this method, I was able to generate enough lather for three passes on my badger brush, adjusting the water: cream ratio as needed before each pass.

For me, judging from this initial "test," I prefer lathering Nancy Boy on my face. Any experience, Ron?

Thanks,
Brandon

PottyDoctor
01-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Today, I actually used Nancy Boy with a brush, but instead of using a bowl to lather the cream, I generated lather on my face. Using this method, I was able to generate enough lather for three passes on my badger brush, adjusting the water: cream ratio as needed before each pass.

For me, judging from this initial "test," I prefer lathering Nancy Boy on my face. Any experience, Ron?

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon,

I've not tried lathering NB directly on my face with a brush. I've always worked up a nice rich lather in my latte mug and love it that way. I have lathered some soaps directly on my face with pretty good sucess. I have tried NB brushless a couple of times and did not care for it in that fashion at all. Lathering with a brush is my favorite part of a luxurious shave!

PottyDoctor
01-14-2007, 05:48 AM
The NB Replenishing Cream showed up on my porch this weekend and I had a Sunday morning shave with it today. It performs equal to the Signature Scent, which is one of my top three creams. The cucumber scent is not my cup of tea. I had forgotten just how much I dislike the the cucumber scent. I'm glad I only bought some travel size jars, because the scent is one of those I cannot stomach.

Now if you're a cucumber lover, then this stuff is 'right on' as far as the cucumber scent is concerned, and you will no doubt love it! I guess, for some strange reason, I thought it might have more of a 'melon' scent...silly me! :eek: