PDA

View Full Version : PIF: You pay shipping Rolls Razor

Sluggo
07-10-2009, 06:43 PM
This is a nice Rolls Razor. It has all the paperwork including the "Inspected by" piece of paper.

I would like to PIF this to a member with more than 500 posts. Why, you may ask...

Because I don't want to see this thing sold on eBay or anywhere else...this should be used or displayed, but not profited upon.

It is heavy so I am guessing it will go priority...I would like $5 in shipping.

sickz284u
07-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Ill take it!!1

sickz284u
07-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Well i dont have 500 post almost 400:redface:

Sluggo
07-10-2009, 06:45 PM
You can have it after 122 more posts...

Jatte
07-10-2009, 06:46 PM
awesome pif, holy smokes,

it looks brand new.

sickz284u
07-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Ok fair enough, great offer. Congrats to whoever ends up with it..

JimBow
07-10-2009, 06:53 PM
PM sent.

Sluggo
07-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Jim Bow wins!

sickz284u
07-10-2009, 06:57 PM
PM sent. I hate you!!!!!!!!!!! j/k Congrats man

JimBow
07-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Thank you, thank you all. I'd like to thank all the little people...
:jump::jump::jump:
:badger::badger:

Seriously, though, this is a great opportunity for me. I've always been curious about this setup, but I've been apprehensive because they're usually none too cheap.

Robxcarlson
07-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Really generous offer!
I've just recently picked one of these up and I can't wait to start using it.

Island Brian
07-11-2009, 01:55 AM
Now that the PIF is over, I have to comment with all due respect that this reverence for post count continues to baffle me. There are B&B members who joined a few months ago, but who have well over 500 posts. Many have been here longer, but do not post as much. Some members try to make non-substantive posts just to get their numbers up ("welcome to B&B"; "nice razor, Joe") and others post questions or raise issues that are thought provoking, informative and that generate interest in a wide variety of topics.

Having a high post count is a false measure of experience, expertise or knowledge. And it sure as heck is a poor guage of integrity. The fact that a member has ___ posts does not insure that this Rolls "won't end up on Ebay." Jim's integrity insures that it won't end up on Ebay - he's a fine gentleman and honor is the essence of gentlemanly behavior. In my book, if a gent says "this is how its going to be" then you can count on it being that way. But honor has nothing to do with anybody's post count.

By the way - congrats on winning the Rolls! I have 4 of them (well, 3 and one for "parts") and I love 'em. Just be careful the first few times.

Happy shaves,

Brian

Koss
07-11-2009, 02:01 AM
I'm obviously a newbie here but... how does that thing work?!

I'm looking at the picture and I can't tell which end is up! :lol:

pablo_h
07-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Now that the PIF is over, I have to comment with all due respect that this reverence for post count continues to baffle me. There are B&B members who joined a few months ago, but who have well over 500 posts. Many have been here longer, but do not post as much. Some members try to make non-substantive posts just to get their numbers up ("welcome to B&B"; "nice razor, Joe") and others post questions or raise issues that are thought provoking, informative and that generate interest in a wide variety of topics.

Having a high post count is a false measure of experience, expertise or knowledge. And it sure as heck is a poor guage of integrity. The fact that a member has ___ posts does not insure that this Rolls "won't end up on Ebay." Jim's integrity insures that it won't end up on Ebay - he's a fine gentleman and honor is the essence of gentlemanly behavior. In my book, if a gent says "this is how its going to be" then you can count on it being that way. But honor has nothing to do with anybody's post count.

By the way - congrats on winning the Rolls! I have 4 of them (well, 3 and one for "parts") and I love 'em. Just be careful the first few times.

Happy shaves,

Brian
Relax, usually a PIF is giving to someone with a low post count and is new to shaving.
Sluggo just did the opposite for a change, there's not much point giving a rolls to a new guy.

I've got about 4 rolls as well. 2 good, 1 OK and 1 totally stripped for parts. They only cost about $5 from UK ebay, and 7-10 shipping.

blackfoot
07-11-2009, 02:14 AM

Happy shaves,

Brian

You and I are perfect polar examples of what you are saying. :biggrin:

The Nid Hog
07-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Now that the PIF is over, I have to comment with all due respect that this reverence for post count continues to baffle me.

It's just arbitrary, a whim of the poster. Why not post count? It could be made to fellow alumni of your college or high school, fellow residents of your state, vets, active duty military, stamp collectors, whatever. So long as they have whiskers and are pure of heart, what's the difference?

Sluggo
07-11-2009, 06:42 AM
I did it for one primary reason; which is I did not want to see this sold for more money in the near or distant future. A lot of times PIFs that go to a newbie run the risk of taking advantage of those who are generous on this site.

If I said more than 500 posts, then I could be resonably sure that the person who got it would either use it or PIF it to someone else...not sell it. I got it as a PIF and I wanted to pass it on as a PIF.

Next time I am going to only PIF it to somone with more than 18,000 posts just to see if ouch is paying attention :)

82R100
07-11-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm obviously a newbie here but... how does that thing work?!

I'm looking at the picture and I can't tell which end is up! :lol:

Here are some instructions (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=462030&highlight=rolls#post462030) for using the Rolls. I recently bought one on the bay only to find that it lacked the shaving handle. I inquired around and found one (tip of the hat to PaulX608) but not before scaring the living daylights out of the fellow who sold me the set originally. It hadn't occurred to him that someone might actually take blade to face with the thing and he earnestly feared for my safety :smile:.

Island Brian
07-11-2009, 06:55 PM
First off - a clarification. I mean no criticism of anyone!!!!!! I've seen Sluggo around the B&B and I know he is a super solid citizen. He deserves high praise for PIFing. Good on ya, Sluggo. And JimBow is also a solid, super-duper citizen (and thank you for your service) and I am elated that a serviceman won, regardless of his post count.

Relax, usually a PIF is giving to someone with a low post count and is new to shaving. Sluggo just did the opposite for a change. . .

It's just arbitrary. . . .

Whether or not I am "relaxed" (:wink:), its not arbitrary. Sluggo actually used post count as a standard of measurement for a completely different reason. He very specifically indicated that post count was used as a means of gauging whether the recipient might subsequently sell the item on Ebay. See below.

You and I are perfect polar examples of what you are saying. :biggrin:

So you believe post count is a good measure of experience or expertise or integrity? I am truly interested, so please tell me why that is.

So long as they have whiskers and are pure of heart, what's the difference?

Now THAT is something I definitely agree with! :biggrin:

I did it for one primary reason; which is I did not want to see this sold for more money in the near or distant future. A lot of times PIFs that go to a newbie run the risk of taking advantage of those who are generous on this site. . .If I said more than 500 posts, then I could be reasonably sure that the person who got it would either use it or PIF it to someone else...not sell it. I got it as a PIF and I wanted to pass it on as a PIF.

First of all, thanks again for being a PIF-er. Your reply reaches the heart of my issue. You raised an issue of integrity. By entering the contest for your PIF, the entrant is (IMHO) pledging to comply with your request to not sell the razor on Ebay. I just do not think post count is any indication of whether someone will live up to that pledge. I say Jim will comply with your request, but not because he has a high post count. I say Jim will not sell the razor on Ebay because by entering, he put his word on it. I assume (for no reason more than just because Jim is a B&B member) that he will be a gentleman and a man of his word.

Also, post count is not even a reliable indication of newbie-ism anymore. Jim (again, bless him for winning), joined in February 09 and has over 1,000 posts. For all I know, he's been a wet shaver for years. . .or just started. So is he not a newbie because of a high post count? Or is he a newbie despite a high post count? (Sorry, Jim, for using you as an example - don't mean to put you on the spot. . .but ya did win, dude!)

Again, not meaning to criticize, just wanting to understand different views on this issue.

blackfoot
07-11-2009, 06:58 PM
So you believe post count is a good measure of experience or expertise or integrity? I am truly interested, so please tell me why that is.

No, my point was I have a high post count but have not been here for that long.

JimBow
07-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Also, post count is not even a reliable indication of newbie-ism anymore. Jim (again, bless him for winning), joined in February 09 and has over 1,000 posts. For all I know, he's been a wet shaver for years. . .or just started. So is he not a newbie because of a high post count? Or is he a newbie despite a high post count? (Sorry, Jim, for using you as an example - don't mean to put you on the spot. . .but ya did win, dude!)

I know this isn't really important, but I actually started wetshaving two days before joining B&B....

Don't worry, I've been wanting one of these for some time. It's not going anywhere. I DO agree with you on the whole post count/newbieism thing. While I've only been here 5 months, I do have 1K in posts. Although, I am a terrible newbie, as there are a few folks who have well over 2K and have been here less time than me!:blushing:

Sluggo
07-11-2009, 07:00 PM
By no means is post count a perfect proxy for conduct becoming of a gentleman, but it is the best we can do here, and if someone jumped on it on their first post I would be curious to know if they were in it for the right reasons.

If you have over, in my opinon, 500 posts then I am sure to have seen a few things you have written.

sickz284u
07-11-2009, 07:05 PM
I have written/bought alot from our forum. Probably over 1k worth of stuff since I have been a member which has only been a few months. I try to post often and anyone that I have bought from would probably vouch for my character as a gentlemen and smoothness of transactions as I pay immediatly and do everything in my power to ensure things are held up on my end.

I hold this forum and its members with high regard. I think there is a great deal of integrity here with the exception of a bad apple or two which I wont mention names. This was a great PIF and Sluggo aka Thomas was very generous to offer it. My hat is off to you sir!

huracan
07-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Isn't B&B great? My Rolls got to me as a PIF as well.

Here it is fully functional, after a shave on its way to the strop.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8815/p1000378s.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/i/p1000378s.jpg/)

Island Brian
07-12-2009, 02:35 PM
If you have over, in my opinon, 500 posts then I am sure to have seen a few things you have written.

Now THAT, I get. That's a good rationale, Sluggo. Thanks for that and for not going off on me becauseI hijacked your thread after the PIF was over (again, you are a gentleman and it shows). At least I learned something and hopefully others did as well.

And thanks again for being a PIF-er. A sign of a great B&B member.

Happy Shaves,

IB

JimBow
07-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I just received the Rolls today. I can't wait to give it a try...Thanks Sluggo and B&B!!

sickz284u
07-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Congrats! Let us know how it shaves!! :biggrin:

GregB
07-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Hi y'all -

small post count newbie over here....

I am the one who traded this bad boy to sluggo in the first place. I too wanted it to go to someone who was either going to collect it or use it, and not sell it.

Sluggo, I am glad to see you passing it along in such a gentlemanly way!

I think in my original post I was looking to have it go to one of the "sages" of the board as a bit of a "thank you" for the mentoring.

I also have had some (very positive) interaction with Island Brian and I agree with his sentiments about post count being a bit overblown at times as a measurement tool.

Just like any community, we have some people who are thoughtful and talkative. Some who are talkative and spout mostly drivel Some who are silent most of the time and deep when they weigh in, and some who just remain silent.

I am glad to see the my old Rolls and sluggo's generosity has caused such a lively debate!

OK... I just reread this... drivel to be sure (but at least I increased my post count by 1....):biggrin: