PDA

View Full Version : World's Most Traveled Razor

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Gogo
07-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Matt, do you make your own boomerangs?

I make many of them. I have a pretty good "boomshop" in the back yard. Others I have received from friends and teammates.

Gogo
07-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Awesome. Do you have a cross street reference for accuracy?

The shot was taken at the corner of 5th Avenue and Broadway.

richmondesi
07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
map is updated!

brothers
07-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Guys, I have an announcement!

Smokelaw1 (Josh) in Connecticut is just finishing up his visit with the WMTR, and the next in line to receive it (probably the middle of next week) is TOB9595 (Tom) in New Jersey. However, the razor is in need of a "tune-up" before heading back east to Tom's house, so it's going home to the skilled hands of it's owner and creator, Mr. Bill Ellis, for a quick touchup, then it will go right back on the road with a freshly groomed edge, to complete its historic journey into the record books.
__________________________________________________ ___

Meanwhile --- I want to encourage all of the guys who've actually participated in this project up to now to post some thoughts and observations about what you consider to be the "mystique" of straight razor shaving.

I'd also like to address these questions (all about shaving with a straight razor) to everyone, including but not limited to all the guys who've been following this thread and are either trying to decide whether they want to learn how to do it, or have recently or not-so-recently decided that they simply love it and want to stay with it:

What is the big deal?
Is it worth it?
Is it exciting?
Is it dangerous?
Why do it?
In the alternative, why not do it?
Do we have to give up shaving with a DE to get the full benefit?
Is there anything wrong with alternating between a DE and a straight?
Which are the smoothest shaves, double (single) edge or straight razors?
How are they (referring to the shaves you get) different (DE/SE vs. Straights)?

I'm hoping we get a lot of thoughtful and thought-provoking responses to this topic. What do you think? I'd really like to know.

smokelaw1
07-17-2009, 06:21 AM
What is the big deal?

A return to a manly art that not only smacks of self-sufficiency and general manliness, is a connection to times and people past. It is a learned skill that takes time and practice to become good at. This brings with it pride. Gets me the best shaves of my life. And, honestly, the #1 reason....it gives me time, every day, to focus on one enjoyable task until it is done. I am heinously busy in my life at the moment. Add to this a wife who works full time and a 15 month old daughter...ever day from 5:23am (don't ask) until whenever the hell I am good and ready...it is time for me and my morning routine. That, my friends, is the big deal.

Is it worth it?

Unequivocally, YES.

Is it exciting?

Not so much exciting as CAPTIVATING. As in your attention to detail, your care for your edge in honing and stropping. You care for your FACE while holding that edge up to it.

Is it dangerous?

Only if you do it wrong. :001_smile At the beginning, sure, you might get a nick, a few weepers, or even a slice. They are so sharp, that if you treat it right, bleeding will stop pretty quickly, and chances of scarring are pretty low. If one is careful and doesn't rush into it...there really isn't anything to be afraid of. Lock the bathroom door.

Why do it?

See above.

Only reason I EVER skip a day is purely time. If I wake up late and NEED to be shaved, I use brushless cream and a DE. And I regret it every time I touch my face.

See above...I don't get the same shaves with a DE. But it is 90% as good a shave, just with only 5% of the enjoyment.

No. Just like there is nothing wrong with wearing a suit some days and a skirt others. :w00t: Sorry, no, of course not...it's shaving. Do what you like.

For me, a well honed straight, with a careful shave...gives NO QUESTION the smoothest shave.

How are they different (DE/SE vs. Straights)?

One is a straight razor. The other isn't. Sorry, I'm all out of witty.

brothers
07-17-2009, 07:12 AM
How are they different (DE/SE vs. Straights)?[/B]

One is a straight razor. The other isn't. Sorry, I'm all out of witty.

Josh, I asked what appeared to be a dumb question, and after reading all of your responses, decided I'd better make an edit to clarify my final bullet question, so it makes a little bit more sense to the reader. :001_huh:

Anyway, here's my response to that one --- There seem to be positive and negatives about the shaves provided by DE razors and straights: My neck and chin have always given me problems, even with electrics! The grain seems to be all helter-skelter on my neck, so every pass I make is with/across/against the grain no matter what direction. So I go back, forth, up, down, sideways, criss cross, you name it, and sometimes it's better than others, but rarely to my satisfaction.

The old Norelco electric is the best suited for shaving that area, because I just churn it around and around until I get tired of it, (at least that's what I USED to do before I went back to the DE of years gone by, and then later to straight shaving). The DE/SE razors are next best with the neck, making the straight the worst of all choices (in the neck area only), at least for me, because the DE is much easier to maneuver in all of those directions. Obviously, the straight razor, no matter which hand I use to shave the neck with, is awkward with some of the 360 degrees of shaving and the multipleXmultiple passes and re-lathering that it entails.

And I agree with you about the smoothness of the shave when the straight is sporting a well-prepared edge, and when my technique isn't sloppy. On the days I don't do as good a job with the straight razor, it isn't uncommon at all for me to get a shave that just isn't as smooth as I can get from my DE razors. I'm at the point where I enjoy getting a really good shave every day, regardless of which type of razor I decide to use.

I love to shave, and as you said, it is a little bit of time I get to spend immersed in the process, and being able to clear my mind before having to focus on the business (busy-ness) of the day ahead. It is in that regard that the shaves are similar.

smokelaw1
07-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Indeed...and great post.
Yes, with an edge that needs a touch up, or technique in need of same, a DE will often give a more consistent shave. I will say that I am more consistently "very good" with a DE. Just never "amazing."

My chin is my trouble area, and with a de, I can get it to 97% every day.
With a straight, I can get it to 99.999%...but if I mess up, I get weepers, nicks, or just flat out leave stubble.

Meerschaum
07-17-2009, 12:49 PM
I've been following this string for a while, and it has indeed inspired me to give what I guess is that next step a try, the straight razor.

I've experimented a little with one now (I know a guy who's pretty into this as well and had a nice sharp double arrow that he has allowed me to borrow as a beginner level instrument) It's pretty different from the DE of course...and intimidating, at least until the first whiskers disappear, then it's just more a challenge...and therein lies the motivation.

My thought is that shaving with a straight razor is just one of those things its better to just know how to do...as opposed to not knowing how....

This is a fun string to follow...love it....

richmondesi
07-17-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm sure he's watching, but this sure doesn't feel the same without Bill participating in this :frown:

brothers
07-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Paul, we could also say: "I'm sure they are watching, but this sure doesn't feel the same without the guys who've already travelled with the WMTR participating in this, being excited for and supportive of the other guys who've yet to participate."

Isn't it about the razor and the guys who shave with it all around the country? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that was the reason Bill made the razor and conceived of this project. There are eight more guys (and their families) still happily anticipating their unique experience with the razor.

I also miss Bill's posts, but I don't think he ever intended this travelling razor project to be a festival of kissing up to him. I think he wants the travelling razor to be his gift to those of us who are doing this for ourselves and each other and to those who follow the thread, and are able to share a unique experience.

richmondesi
07-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Paul, we could also say: "I'm sure they are watching, but this sure doesn't feel the same without the guys who've already travelled with the WMTR participating in this, being excited for and supportive of the other guys who've yet to participate."

Isn't it about the razor and the guys who shave with it all around the country? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that was the reason Bill made the razor and conceived of this project. There are eight more guys (and their families) still happily anticipating their unique experience with the razor.

I also miss Bill's posts, but I don't think he ever intended this travelling razor project to be a festival of kissing up to him. I think he wants the travelling razor to be his gift to those of us who are doing this for ourselves and each other and to those who follow the thread, and are able to share a unique experience.

That's not kissing up to him. That's expressing the fact that it doesn't feel the same without his active participation. In case you haven't noticed, many of us who have had our turn are still active. Bill not hanging around B&B for a while means that something really special (his knowledge, experience, perspective, etc.) is missing. That's all I'm saying.

Sometimes, it is best to let people express a simple thought without "correcting" them. I can tell you that I have zero interest in your perspective on the meaning of the pass as it relates to how much I hate that he isn't actively participating in this anymore. That's not me being mean (or whatever), it's just me saying I hate that he isn't here anymore. It's simple. There's no need for a debate.

brothers
07-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Good morning, all ---

It’s a good day, and it’s going to be a good week ahead on the B&B.

Just to stay current, here’s a list of the guys who are soon to enjoy their upcoming visit with the World’s Most Travelled Razor, aka WMTR:

TOB9595 New Jersey
AceBuckeye Ohio
Stnlymumford North Carolina
Netsurfr Virginia
Tg16 Louisiana
Ambrose Texas
Fnord5 California
CraigJ California

As you know, the razor is on the move almost constantly, and right now is on its way back to Bill Ellis for a brief stopover for edge maintenance, and I think Bill is going to be darkening the initials that have, to date, been etched into the blade of the razor by those who’ve already had their turn. Within the next few days, as soon as the beautiful WMTR is freshened up and ready to hit the road again, Bill will be mailing the razor directly to New Jersey, and the pass will again be underway.

Best regards,

Synack
07-19-2009, 06:07 PM
I've been lurking in this thread and the previous one that spawned it. While I have not used the WMTR, it definitely inspired me to seriously try out real straight razors. Afterwards my DEs quickly started collecting dust. I've actually sold most of my DEs and have only hung onto a few, mainly for the days when I really need to slap some lather on and hustle in ten minutes.

I now have three real straights and a shavette; Hopefully one day I can try out an Ellis!

What is the big deal?
I also believe it is an art form that requires practice and skill to master. Like the previous poster I also enjoy the connection to the past. My job and hobbies are very technical in nature; Taking some time out at the start of my day to focus and use a functional piece of art that is well over 100 years old is calming and puts things into perspective.
Is it worth it?
Excellent shaves, not spending money on M3 cartridges, aforementioned focus and perspective... YES!
Is it exciting?
You wake up and put a massive deadly sharp steel blade against your throat. I'd say so...
Is it dangerous?
Almost cut a practice strop in two while half asleep :redface:.
Why do it?
Zen-like calm and satisfaction afterwards.
If I am really crunched for time I will still break out a DE.
No, but I would never start a straight shave and switch to a DE if things get tough. (I keep my shavette loaded with a full size Personna blade just in case a blade feels somewhat dull mid-shave.)
Not at all. I could totally understand someone using a DE weekdays and a straight on the weekend. Faster, less honing and still very satisfying. DEs are great tools, they were my introduction to proper wetshaving and will always keep some on hand.
I feel that I can achieve the same result either way.
How are they (referring to the shaves you get) different (DE/SE vs. Straights)?
When stubble grows back it actually feels better after a straight shave. Less coarse I suppose. It sounds strange, but happens every time, regardless of razor used.

Fnord5
07-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Good morning, all ---

Just to stay current, here’s a list of the guys who are soon to enjoy their upcoming visit with the World’s Most Travelled Razor, aka WMTR:

TOB9595 New Jersey
AceBuckeye Ohio
Netsurfr Virginia
Tg16 Louisiana
Ambrose Texas
Fnord5 California
CraigJ California

As you know, the razor is on the move almost constantly, and right now is on its way back to Bill Ellis for a brief stopover for edge maintenance, and I think Bill is going to be darkening the initials that have, to date, been etched into the blade of the razor by those who’ve already had their turn. Within the next few days, as soon as the beautiful WMTR is freshened up and ready to hit the road again, Bill will be mailing the razor directly to New Jersey, and the pass will again be underway.

Best regards,

WaHooo!

Lucius
07-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Been using the straight for about 1 1/2 years now.

What is the big deal?
To me the manliness aspect certainly plays a role. It feels pretty cool to be able to say you do it, and a lot of people are in awe or can't believe you do it. The fact that barely anyone does it nowadays is what plays into the mystique of straight razor shaving. If it were 1870 it wouldn't be a big deal at all. But it's 2009, so it is.

Is it worth it?
If you understand the cost and time required going in, and have the patience to get good at it yes. Also understanding that ultimately it's just a shave and you're not going to achieve any orgasmic or nirvana-like experience, just a good shave and possibly a sense of satisfaction. I would and never have pushed anyone into straight shaving, whereas I have suggested to several people to get into DE shaving.

Is it exciting?
Maybe the first couple of times, but no, I don't find it to be exciting in the standard sense of the word.

Is it dangerous?
Yes and no. Yes in that you are likely to cut yourself. Possibly a lot. I have cut myself dozens of times, several times somewhat deep. I have no scars from any of my cuts and besides walking around with a scar on my face/neck for several days no issues from the cuts. I don't think it's dangerous in the sense that you'd have to intentionally try to hurt yourself or be extremely careless (e.g. trip and fall face first on an open blade) to really cause any significant damage.

Why do it?
Partially to be different based on my first answer, but also because I get a better shave than with a cartridge (I started using a straight before I started using a DE).

Slower than using a DE (although not that much, imo) and definitely slower than using a cartridge. Requires patience to learn. Even if you just get one razor, one strop, and one or two stones/plates/whatever to hone with it's got a relatively expensive start up cost. Also requires a little more focus while shaving than a DE, so if you're always tired when shaving probably not a good idea.

Absolutely not. I use a DE when I don't feel like messing with the straight. I find I get better shaves with the straight, but I don't use the DE nearly as much so my technique probably isn't as good. But most people claim the straight is the best shave you can get so you'll probably appreciate the benefits of the straight even if you continue using a DE as well.

No, see above. Although when learning it'd probably be best to use a straight as much as possible.

I find straights to give me the best shave.

I find the DE to be more bulky and not as "agile". Straight requires much more care, stropping, drying, possibly oiling. DE I just rinse at the end dry the head on a towel and let it sit.

AceBuckeye
07-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Good morning, all ---

TOB9595 New Jersey
AceBuckeye Ohio
Netsurfr Virginia
Tg16 Louisiana
Ambrose Texas
Fnord5 California
CraigJ California

Best regards,

Saw the post today, I am actually out of town on business until 7/27 , you may want to consider moving me down the list one spot or two if it will be coming to Ohio earlier than 7/27 as I won't be here to receive the razor until next Monday the earliest and I DO NOT want to hold up the process as I know we are all waiting with great anticipation.

I don't want off the list, just don't want to hold up the razor at any point in it's travel's either :001_smile

If you think the tune up stop at Bill's will be long enough that it won't be coming my way until early next week anyway, then no worries leave me where I am.

David

brothers
07-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Gentlemen, I've been digging and reading about the whole concept of straight razor shaving in these days of cartridges and DE razors. I've been asking questions in other forums, and have found that there are a lot of guys who spend a lot of time thinking, writing, and talking about shaving with a straight razor.

In my case, because of the straight razor, I have uncovered an additional area of great respect for my 19th Century grandfathers and their fathers. They only had two choices, shave with a straight razor at least once a week, or don't shave at all.

Anyway, I just happened across a very thoughtful post here (http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/shaving/37791-why-shave-straight.html) that might be of great interest to anyone who admires and/or practices the art of straight razor shaving. If you have the time and interest to read what this guy has written, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

brothers
07-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Saw the post today, I am actually out of town on business until 7/27 , you may want to consider moving me down the list one spot or two if it will be coming to Ohio earlier than 7/27 as I won't be here to receive the razor until next Monday the earliest and I DO NOT want to hold up the process as I know we are all waiting with great anticipation.

I don't want off the list, just don't want to hold up the razor at any point in it's travel's either :001_smile

If you think the tune up stop at Bill's will be long enough that it won't be coming my way until early next week anyway, then no worries leave me where I am.

David

PM's sent, Looks like David's going to remain at his current spot in the lineup, without missing his turn. We'll think positive!

Meerschaum
07-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Hey Brothers...I had to post one more time...that was a wonderful link to a great statement and testimony to "shaving straight".

Good stuff! Thanks.

brothers
07-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Thanks Bobby, I'm glad you liked it. Somebody over at SRP obviously put a lot of thought into that post.

TOB9595
07-22-2009, 07:48 AM
So my time is coming.
It'll be great to have this tuned up before coming to me.

Thanks ALL
Tom

davecmu
07-22-2009, 10:33 AM
What is the big deal?
Sure, it's manly, but my wife spends more time giggling about this "manly" habit than she does appreciating my manliness for doing it. As a result, I think I lean more toward the uniqueness end of the "big deal" spectrum - it's something unique that not many people know about or do anymore. People who know I do it find it totally fascinating, and I am rarely fascinating for any other reason, so there is some ego appeal, as well.

Is it worth it?
If you're patient about the process, yes. I've never had a better shave than with a straight, and I've never had more satisfaction from such a mundane daily task as I have had with straight razor shaving.

Is it exciting?
Not in an adrenaline-frenzy way, no. I find it more satisfying than exciting.

Is it dangerous?
Can be. I have a toddler and two cats, and share a bathroom with SWMBO, which means my morning shaves can be difficult to focus on. I've intentionally structured my morning routine to buy me the ten minutes it takes to do a satisfying straight razor shave. The real danger lies in the ADs associated with discovering the benefit of an old-fashioned way to do something because then you begin wondering what else can be done in such a way...

Why do it?
To be different, for sure, and for the satisfaction of a shave well-done.

Tough to begin, so if you're one of those people who often start projects but never see them through, this will be an expensive and frustrating venture. If you find a DE inconvenient, this will be worse. If you want to avoid being looked at sideways if the topic ever comes up, you should consider another hobby.

I have, but I know plenty of guys who can use both. I did it just because I find the shave with the straight to be superior without too much sacrifice for convenience.

Not in my humble opinion, despite my own practice.

I find straights give me the best shave.

The straight is more versatile, agile, and precise. You can see the blade where it makes contact with your face, with no bulky machinery in the way, so it can be the most precise instrument possible. This helps with their ease of use. The DE is decidedly more convenient for someone who wants to strike a balance between modern cartridge shaving and straights, as it has disposable pieces (as opposed to having to hone a blade) and allows for faster uptake. The differences lay in these differing strengths. I think it's important to note that these are opposites, so there is room here for both.

Regarding the absence of posts by WMTR vets, I think it's true there is some room here for improvement, but it's also important to note that many of the more esoteric or thought provoking topics related to this pass have been covered in this thread and the previous one. Maybe we're just settling into a more refined appreciation for the razor and it's value.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and people are just short-attentioned and fickle.

Hopefully, the pace will pick back up a bit soon!

brothers
07-23-2009, 04:39 AM
So my time is coming.
It'll be great to have this tuned up before coming to me.

Thanks ALL
Tom

Good morning Tom. You, and everybody still on the list, will be very happy to know that the WMTR made it to Bill Ellis safely, and he has given it a very thorough going-over. It's as strong as ever, and if all goes well, it should be in the mail on its way to the great state of New Jersey today!

As you can imagine, Bill is proud of his special razor, and wants everyone using it to be able to remember the great shaves they received from it. And he wants to let those guys whose time with the razor is coming up to remember, if possible, to put a small drop of oil on both sides of the pivot pin, then you can wipe up any excess with a tissue and apply it to the blade, being careful to avoid any possible damage when wiping near the edge.

It should be more of the same smooth sailing from this point forward, through the next 8 guys. Tom, please give us all a heads-up when the package arrives, and enjoy every minute of your time with it. We're all eager to see some new pics of this beautiful little traveler on the road again.

<Thanks Bill!>:thumbup1:

brothers
07-23-2009, 04:58 AM
Hopefully, the pace will pick back up a bit soon!

Dave, and the others who've posted, thanks for your thoughtful contribution. We do the best we can, life happens, people have responsibilities to those things that are truly important, their families and their jobs, and this project has been, and is, a unique and pleasant diversion. I think we all have a great mutual appreciation and respect for each other's valuable time and energy that has been contributed to making this such a neat experience. I'm excited and looking forward to the rest of the traveling razor's journey back and forth across the country.

davecmu
07-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Dave, and the others who've posted, thanks for your thoughtful contribution. We do the best we can, life happens, people have responsibilities to those things that are truly important, their families and their jobs, and this project has been, and is, a unique and pleasant diversion. I think we all have a great mutual appreciation and respect for each other's valuable time and energy that has been contributed to making this such a neat experience. I'm excited and looking forward to the rest of the traveling razor's journey back and forth across the country.

Gary,

You were a great choice to run this show in Bill's absence. Keep the philosophy coming!

Paul, you were a great choice to run that map in Ben's absence. Keep the technology coming!

Dave

smokelaw1
07-24-2009, 06:03 AM
Hey everybody, wanted to pop in with an apology for not posting pictures yet.
As I have mentioned other times (it's a reason...not an excuse) I've been painfully busy lately. On top of that, my wife had the camera down at the beach last weekend, and left it at the family's beach house while I worked (yeah...my new DSLR is sitting out at a beach house right now). On top of that she "thinks she might have" erased some of my pictures. How does one "think they might have" gone through the three-button process of erasing pictures off a card? It's an 8 gig card, with like 50 pictures on it....why the h--- are you erasing anything?
I digress....if there are any pictures left on the camera when I get it back (aside from what I am sure are adorable pictures of the 15 month old in a bathing suit playing with the puppy), I'll be sure to post them.

brothers
07-24-2009, 06:44 AM
As I have mentioned other times (it's a reason...not an excuse) I've been painfully busy lately. On top of that, my wife had the camera down at the beach last weekend, and left it at the family's beach house while I worked (yeah...my new DSLR is sitting out at a beach house right now). On top of that she "thinks she might have" erased some of my pictures. How does one "think they might have" gone through the three-button process of erasing pictures off a card? It's an 8 gig card, with like 50 pictures on it....why the h--- are you erasing anything?
I digress....if there are any pictures left on the camera when I get it back (aside from what I am sure are adorable pictures of the 15 month old in a bathing suit playing with the puppy), I'll be sure to post them.

I think under the circumstances, everybody understands. If you have the time, probably the best solution would be to grab the camera and revisit your locations, taking the same photos, sans the WMTR. Now that might be a huge hassle for you, especially if you traveled around quite a bit, but if it can be done within reason, that'll work! Also, I think Paul's going to want to know a close approximation of your mileage with the razor, for the count. Thanks for letting us know. I've never been to your beautiful part of the country, and would love to see whatever you can come up with.

richmondesi
07-24-2009, 07:00 AM

That sounds like something my wife would do/say! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

smokelaw1
07-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Gary,

Good idea. I'll take a drive around...maybe with a cardboard cut-out! One of our photoshop experts can "insert" the WMTR!!

Total mileage was very low....perhaps roughly 30?

tomjr
07-24-2009, 10:11 AM
hi im a newbie but your traveling razor intriqued me ive been shaving with vintage blades and would really like to experience a custom razor you are giving to this community in a way all straighters would enjoy thanks tomjr

whitebar
07-24-2009, 10:19 PM
That sounds like something my wife would do/say! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Paul, I won't tell her you said that! :biggrin:

richmondesi
07-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Paul, I won't tell her you said that! :biggrin:

Thanks, Buddy. BTW, the Tabac EDT and AS have found a new home :lol:

Steve P
07-25-2009, 01:30 PM
This is a great thread. Maybe I'll be ready for this in a few years, but for now the DE experience has been a big step up, in terms of a quality shave...

Steve

brothers
07-26-2009, 12:19 PM
According to USPS, the WMTR was delivered yesterday to Tom (TOB9595) in New Jersey! :w00t:

richmondesi
07-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Josh, were you able to get any pictures for the map?

whitebar
07-26-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm excited that the WMTR is back on the road again. I've missed seeing pictures of its adventures.

AceBuckeye
07-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Benn out of town but wanted to get my 2 cents in on these questions

What is the big deal?
Believe it or not I started investigating straight shaving as being more environmentally friendly, (no plastic blades in land fills), obviously I was also intrigued when I started looking into it by the possibility of getting a closer shave.

Is it worth it?
Without a doubt.

Is it exciting?
Exciting , no, I find it to be a luxury however, to me it is one of the few "manly" ways we can pamper ourselves.

Is it dangerous?
If you are not careful, but then again, there are very few mundane tasks that could not be dangerous if your mind is checked out.

Why do it?
Enviro friendly, to get a better shave, to have one more thing to collect.
:cool:

Certainly less expensive shaving methods, some may also say there are less time consuming. Also, if you are not patient or lack the enthusiasm to keep your gear in good shape.

No, I still use a DE from time to time for various reason. Funny part is my DE technique improved as well by using the straight.

Nope.

I find straights give me the best shave.

I find the straight to give me more control, I can do some creative facial hair lines with a straight if I want to that I could never get as straight or even with a DE. I also like the fact that I can have control over the edge itself, meaning how sharp it's kept, when it gets touched up etc. Also for me the straight razor is definitely more a work of art with the scales or blade shape etc. I have seen very few DE or SE that had a WOW factor from a looks standpoint

TOB9595
07-27-2009, 09:03 AM
WMTR received. Hahaha Saturday I missed the delivery so I sat at the post facility till my carrier returned for the day so I could get it. I shaved with it immediately, A lovely experience. Took some pics. Went to my Lady's Sat night to see her AND BALOONFEST NJ.
Lots of baloons very close. Cool to hear the whoosh of the propane as they need.
Pics to come and trip to NY and philly is in the cards before I send out on Wednesday.

I need the next guy's addie
Tom

brothers
07-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Glad to hear it! It's great to have the razor active again! YGPM.

TOB9595
07-27-2009, 10:08 AM
I have DaVID'S ADDIE. Thank you Gary.
I'll be watching mileage and the lat/long or cross streets for the shots.
Tom

brothers
07-30-2009, 09:56 AM
WMTR received. Hahaha Saturday I missed the delivery so I sat at the post facility till my carrier returned for the day so I could get it. I shaved with it immediately, A lovely experience. Took some pics. Went to my Lady's Sat night to see her AND BALOONFEST NJ.
Lots of baloons very close. Cool to hear the whoosh of the propane as they need.
Pics to come and trip to NY and philly is in the cards before I send out on Wednesday.

I need the next guy's addie
Tom

Tom! The suspense is killing me! How's about giving us somethin' pretty to look at Buddy! I'm also dying to hear how the little razor shaved for you, with the fresh edge and all.

richmondesi
07-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Tom! The suspense is killing me! How's about giving us somethin' pretty to look at Buddy! I'm also dying to hear how the little razor shaved for you, with the fresh edge and all.

+1. When is it headed out to the next lucky guy? BTW, I'm still waiting on pics from Smokelaw:ohmy:

brothers
07-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Tom, out of respect for the 7 men and their families, that are waiting for their 3 day turns with Bill Ellis' Traveling Custom Razor, you've now had it for almost a week. Please respond to emails and PMs that have been sent to you, either in kind, or in a post here to let all of us know (1) that you are OK, and (2) that you are sending or have already sent the razor on to the next person. Thank you very much. Best Regards,

smokelaw1
07-31-2009, 05:25 AM
BTW, I'm still waiting on pics from Smokelaw:ohmy:

I know, I know. I will re-create the drive around soon. That was my one weekend "free" (by free I mean in town...I was at the office most of the days), and I am not around again on a weekend until the 15th or even the 22nd, I think. Trying to get away during the week is possible, but really tough. I'll get them to you, and am very sorry for the delay.

brothers
07-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Tom is a genuinely good guy, but unfortunately, due to very serious health problems he has been unable to function. He sends his sincere apologies for the delay, and says that if at all possible, he is committed to sending the WMTR out to David in Ohio on Saturday. Tom says he was able to take a lot of great photos earlier, and we visited for a while on the unexpectedly good shave that is to be had from using such a unique razor as the Bill Ellis Traveling Razor. Tom, my friend, if you're reading this, on behalf of all of the guys here at B&B, I wish you Godspeed and many good days ahead. Take care of yourself, and we will be eagerly watching this thread for your posts as soon as you are able.

AceBuckeye
08-04-2009, 05:41 PM
OK, the razor arrived in Ohio on Monday afternoon. Shaved with it for the first time today, here was the set up:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/dgizzo/IMG_0287.jpg

Just going to freestyle basically everything that went on yesterday and today so excuse me if I ramble.

OK, first of all the box itself is impressive, if Bill ever gets tired of the razor and knife business he can build boxes and not skip a beat. I have seen humidors sold in stores that didn't look this good and surely were not built as well either.

The razor is just awesome even to look at. Yup, the scales are not artistic but the blade sure is. I went to sleep glad I had not shaved since Friday.

Woke up this a.m. and after a good strop I prepped my face, lathered up and started my shave. What was most striking to me from the get go is the balance and comfort of the razor. Have I had shaves that were this close? Yes. Have I had shaves this close that felt as easy and comfortable, definitely not! The closest razor I have from a shaving standpoint to this is my Dubl Duck Goldedge. While the duck gives an extremely nice and close shave it does not have the hand balance or face feel of the WMTR. Quite hoestly something about this razor just makes you feel comfortable in whatever manner of pass you are making on your face.

Also, I do not shave everyday as my beard grows slower than most, so when I do shave I go for BBS every time. Now with my other straights that always results in a little bit of razor burn, and usually a couple weepers, nothing major but for about 2 hours after my shave you can tell what I have been doing. Well, I can report to you that I had no such occurence with the WMTR. No irritation, no weepers, nicks, or cuts. I can assure my technique was no different, it has to be the razor.

Very often in life we build our hopes up for certain events, only to see them fall slightly short or miss the mark. So far the Bill Ellis razor has been all I could have expected and more. Bill, cannot thank you enough for this opportunity.

I am playing in a Rotary Golf Outing tomorrow, so it appears the WMTR will make it's first journey to the links that I am aware of , then it's one last shave Thursday a.m., a tour of some of Columbus's most well known sites, and then to the post office to be sent on it's next leg of the journey to Tim in Louisiana.

I'll post the pictures as time allows but you'll see another update no later than Thursday evening.

TOB9595
08-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Guys. I'm back on the computer again..Been a couple interesting weeks..Thanks Gary from OHIO for the follow up.

I know you want to read my review and see my pics and VID...You will... I will be posting my raw footage vid.
I am so impressed with you'all slideshows, music and vids that I was going to wait till I polished it.
NOT SO! You'll see em now as I can't commit to when they'd be done.
So enjoy the pics and VID as much as I do.

My time with the Ellis WMTR is a joy. I first shaved with the WMTR with a four day growth of beard to test the

mettle.... I am so very impressed with the deft handling of the largish razor.The razor fit in my hand in all the

contortions needed to get a fine shave. The design of the blade allowed the point to get into my troublesome areas;

under my nose, nostrils and the smile lines along my lips. The blade gracefully travelled round my chin and the

varied directions of hair growth present.

Here's my first shave
B&B QED Sandlewood soap, Cococbolo 22mm finest badger hair brush from Tony at PENWORKS. (This is one of three I

bought that all three has not left my rotation) and the Ellis....I always finish off with alum block, NIVEA balm,

ROYALL LYME and later KNIZE TEN.
What a wonderful experience. LOOK at the beauty of the initials and how they are so visually pleasing
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS&#37;20WMTR%20RAZOR/razorpics_dadscamera107.jpg

So the shaves have EXCEEDED my expectations!..YES! It's THAT NICE!
How do I add to the travels and experiences of WMTR? I rack my brain and figure...HMMMM JERSEY...So...Statue of

Liberty, Philly and the dELAWARE RIVER. I live bout 90 miles from Statue of Liberty and Philly so that ought to be

doable..First off I drive along the DELAWARE RIVER near my town. I think WASHINGTON's CROSSING NATIONAL PARK is VERY

COOL and I love the area...

Aaaah what a LOVELY DAY!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/062-1-1.jpg

Here's the entrance plaque. Quite spiffy with the ELLIS touch, Ya think?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/razorpics_dadscamera141-1.jpg

Anyone relate to the sartorial splendor that keeps me on the cutting edge of fashion?????
Huh???

Here's my MAN PURSE for days out and about
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/097-1.jpg

So nicely contained.
The BODY SHOP SHAVE CREAM that is discontinued is one of the FINEST I have used...AND I've used many.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/095-1.jpg

I ALWAYS STROP before a shave
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/077-1.jpg

What a delightful design of a blade. So easy to use and to maintain
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/072-1.jpg

I'm glad that Kevin, my Son, brought the tripod. VERY handy in making steady pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/082-1.jpg

Here's the video. Unpolished, disjointed
LOTS O FUN! Makes me smile when I see it.
Hope it doesn't bore you

More to follow with the road trips through the JERSEY countryside.
Tom

OOPS! Seems that I don't know how to embed the youtube vid.....LATER

TOB9595
08-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Well I hope here is the embedded video

NAH!
Not just yet. I'll tackle this later...G'night

Hmmmm, YES? MAYBE SO!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIyTEOdeXGo

And a few pic teasers
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS&#37;20WMTR%20RAZOR/razorpics_dadscamera128-1.jpg

The kit ready for my face
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/razorpics_dadscamera150-1.jpg
Tom

TOB9595
08-07-2009, 02:43 PM
The WMTR Ellis also stopped at LOVELY JANNE's house for BALOONFEST.
This is a yearly event in the area that transitions Jersey from Fast pace large cities to green areas of farmland.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS&#37;20WMTR%20RAZOR/razorpics_dadscamera122-1.jpg

Very cool event. Balloons in any shape you can imagine...tho no pics of the exciting Michelin Man, Snoopy or Mr Peanut
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/razorpics_dadscamera119.jpg

The LOVELY LADY JEANNE. She is aware of my many diverse interests...MOST of which she thinks is odd. The TRAVELING ELLIS RAZOR was a VERY difficult concept for Jeanne to grasp
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/razorpics_dadscamera117.jpg

Jersey is full of roadside stands that sell local produce and "STUFF"
This one is the HONOR SYSTEM and works well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/099.jpg

And this one is manned and larger
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/101.jpg

The cucumbers are good
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/TOB9595/ELLIS%20WMTR%20RAZOR/104.jpg

More of the trip later
Tom

richmondesi
08-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Great pics, Tom! Which one would you like up on the map? Shoot me a PM with the most accurate location for the pic and the vid, please!:001_smile

AceBuckeye
08-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Ok Part two for me here, second shave as you can see was with AdP, followed by some Bay Rum. Second shave was as good as the first. Not much more to say other than for me it is a truly great razor. Almost hard to put into words, but it just "feels" comfortable, easy to control, and balanced. A true pleasure to shave with.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/dgizzo/IMG_0288.jpg

I told Gary, the weather did not cooperate so I was unable to get as many photos as I would have liked. Obviously I did not want to expose this work of art to any inclement weather strictly for photo opps. I got about a 45 min window on Thursday with which I was able to get to two locations that were on my list, both sports related. Spot #1 is Crew Stadium. This facility was the first soccer only stadium built in the US, and is home to the 2008 MLS Champs. Nice stadium and is historic for the real football fans of the world.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/dgizzo/IMG_0292.jpg

Next photo is outside the endzone gate of the Horse Shoe at Ohio State. The Shoe is where all the home games are played, and through this arch is where the band and players enter before the game starts. For those of you who have not been to a college football game with 100, 000 of your friends it's a real treat. We have some BnBers from major college towns though so I am sure many of you know how great the college football atmosphere is.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/dgizzo/IMG_0293.jpg

Finally, like many, decided to mix in one of my other hobbies with the WMTR, so here is the razor checking out my 75 gallon freshwater aquarium.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/dgizzo/IMG_0291.jpg

The razor is safely on it's way to Louisiana, hope everyone else enjoys it's stay with them as much as I did.

David

brothers
08-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Nice photos, David! It's too bad about the weather, but it sounds like you got to spend some quality time shaving a few times with the WMTR. The stadiums make me start getting excited every time I see those pics. Just a few short weeks before the season starts! And I'm wondering if you built that big aquarium? I like the wood. Thanks for posting!

richmondesi
08-09-2009, 07:11 AM
BTW, the map is updated with Tom's pics. Ace, which pics would you like to add??

whitebar
08-09-2009, 04:36 PM
It sure is nice seeing the WMTR on the road again. Both David and Tom have done a wonderful job of sharing their journey with the rest of us. Thanks to both of you for bringing some happiness to my day. Things seem normal again and all is right with the world! I can't wait to see and hear about Louisiana.

AceBuckeye
08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
My wallet and my "man card" certainly wish I built the aquarium, but alas, I am not a woodworker. I'd like to use the pictures of the razor at Ohio Stadium and Crew Stadium for the map.

Lane Ave in Columbus Ohio for the 'Shoe, Crew Stadium is on 17th Ave.

I had also planned to take it to our new Mo=inor League Stadium, I know some folks who work for the team and was even going to get a shot of the razor in the dugout, but the game was ppd due to rain UGH

We also have a life sized replica of the Santa Maria, (in honor of Columbus) that was going to be included but that got nixed due to the rain as well.

brothers
08-12-2009, 11:58 AM
The razor's just been mailed to south Texas, where Ambrose will get to spend a few days with it.

Fnord5
08-12-2009, 06:08 PM
The razor's just been mailed to south Texas, where Ambrose will get to spend a few days with it.

EEEEEEEK!
That means I am am NEXT!!!!

tg16
08-13-2009, 09:02 AM
It sure is nice seeing the WMTR on the road again. Both David and Tom have done a wonderful job of sharing their journey with the rest of us. Thanks to both of you for bringing some happiness to my day. Things seem normal again and all is right with the world! I can't wait to see and hear about Louisiana.

I do have picutres and will make a post this weekend when I have time to sit and write. It has been a busy week since I have to work to support my various shaving acquisition disorders.

ambrose
08-15-2009, 12:18 AM
I just received the razor and I have already shaved with it this morning. a really great experience :smile:

Fnord5
08-19-2009, 11:58 AM
I now have the Ellis razor in my hands. Off to have a shave!

Fnord5
08-19-2009, 02:26 PM
This razor fits my hand like a glove. It was effortless positioning it for every pass.
The toe scared me at first, as it is rather sharp and pointy, but it was all bark, no bite. :biggrin:

Must have had an off day, but only a DFS, with Tabac and Clubman AS.
I am off to take pictures now, will post them as soon as I get back.:cool:

richmondesi
08-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Ok men the Map is updated. I need pics from Ambrose and Fnord5 and we'll be totally caught up:001_smile

Fnord5
08-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Pictures from around the Capital(of California)

brothers
08-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm lovin' it. Great shots Fnord!

whitebar
08-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Good work. Keep it up!

Fnord5
08-19-2009, 08:12 PM
In the spirit of Mr. Ellis's shop pictures, I present my SOTD for today.
No Bill, don't worry that is as close to the dremel as your razor got. :lol::lol::lol:
Hot shower followed by Tabac, bowl lathered with a Golden Nib 22 MM silvertip in an Ever-Ready handle, Pinauds Clubman AS. DFS, no weepers, no irritation.
Bud Light Lime as the post shave draught.

brothers
08-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Careful you don't hurt yourself with that giant ball peen hammer! I know you use it on the pins, etc., but is that something that is sold for copper, silver, working, etc.? I've got a small one, but it looks like king kong next to that tiny one. I use it very gently when I need to slightly tighten a pin, but I'm afraid I'll get carried away just one time and bend a pin.

Fnord5
08-19-2009, 09:31 PM
It's a 4 ounce(maybe 2) that I grabbed in a RC/modeling/hobby store.
Works great for pins.

brothers
08-22-2009, 01:52 PM
The WMTR is now enroute to CraigJ in the San Francisco Bay area.

richmondesi
08-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Alex, which picture would you like to be posted on the map? BTW, I hope you are well :smile:

Fnord5
08-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Alex, which picture would you like to be posted on the map? BTW, I hope you are well :smile:

The one with the capital building.
Exact address is :1315 10th St, Sacramento, CA

And no, not well. But getting slightly used to it.:frown:

richmondesi
08-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Map is updated with most recent pics

brothers
08-25-2009, 12:59 PM
The World's Most Traveled Razor is now in Clayton California, in the hands of CraigJ.

We're eagerly awaiting photos from tg16 in Louisiana, and Ambrose in Texas. C'mon men, give us something beautiful to look at from your part of our great country!:smile:

ambrose
08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
I posted the only pic of the razor I took, but I can take a few pics of the landscape around my town when I get the chance :smile:

blaireau
08-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Bill, bring it back to Texas. I would very much like to experience your work. Can I be on the list?

Lucius
08-31-2009, 02:10 PM
In the spirit of Mr. Ellis's shop pictures, I present my SOTD for today.
No Bill, don't worry that is as close to the dremel as your razor got. :lol::lol::lol:
I'd be more worried that it got that close to a Bud Light Lime. :9898:

richmondesi
08-31-2009, 02:15 PM

That's what the "In honor of Bill" part was about :tongue_sm

Live2Ride
09-02-2009, 07:44 AM
On 8/25 The Razor was in Clayton, CA. Who is next on the list? Who has it now?

brothers
09-02-2009, 08:08 AM
CraigJ was the final participant. I believe the razor has been returned to Bill Ellis.

richmondesi
09-02-2009, 08:09 AM
On 8/25 The Razor was in Clayton, CA. Who is next on the list? Who has it now?

I'm thinking Bill has it

Fnord5
09-03-2009, 12:02 AM

That razor was probably built while Bill was drinking BL Lime.:tongue_sm
See this picture for proof:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=36638&stc=1&d=1230017671

Rhino
09-03-2009, 06:07 AM
CraigJ was the final participant. I believe the razor has been returned to Bill Ellis.

Hmmm...could have sworn I was on the list. I received the documents from Bill, agreed to them, and was "told" I was on the list. Bill? Anyone?...:confused:

brothers
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
This is an introduction to my Bill Ellis razor. This razor has a name, and it is appropriately called "The World's Most Traveled Razor", WMTR for short. I think it is only appropriate to revive this thread for the purpose of introducing you to my well-used custom made razor (and remarkably, made for a specific purpose) about exactly one year ago in the Spring of 2009 by the talented and honorable Bill Ellis. Hello Bill, I hope you are reading this!

As I posted elsewhere, (http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42854/url) I've taken my time, and working with my small assortment of hones and strops I'm very happy to say this razor is (almost) as sharp now as it was the day it first left Bill's shop on it's remarkable 3 month journey around the USA. It is a real pleasure to be able to say I've now enjoyed the first of many excellent shaves to come, with this famous razor.

Bill had an idea that he would make a razor and send it out to anyone who was experienced with straight razors, and a member of the particular wet shaving forum that he frequented at that time. this razor was all over the United States and used by approximately 20 guys, including me, before it found its way back to the hands of its creator. Bill offered me an opportunity to buy it. As I told Bill, this razor will never be sold again. It is my hope that my son and my grandsons to come will enjoy having and using it.

You can follow this razor's journey here. (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89469&highlight=worlds+traveled+razor/url)My part of the journey begins on page 19, post # 368, and continues to page 20, post # 396.

Thank you Bill for having your idea, for making this razor, and for permitting me the honor of owning it. I'm proud to know you!

Live2Ride
05-05-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm disappointed the WTMR is not traveling and took so much work to restore to shave ready condition, but I'm glad it has found a home. Gary, you're 800+ mile adventure with it was spectacular. Congratulations on making the WMTR yours. It is a well deserved honor and I'm green with envy! I miss Bill, his humor, talent, and following the WTMR's travels.

Synack
05-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Congrats! It looks like it found a good home. It was fun reading about it while it was on the road.

What happened to it that required so much work?

brothers
05-06-2010, 11:30 AM
When I received it, I only took it out of the case to look at it a few times, and show it to people. After I'd had it 6 months or more, I decided to start shaving with it, and that's where my involvement with the blade began. It had been in the hands of a lot of different guys, so I'm thinking the blade just showed normal (or maybe a bit more than normal, under the circumstances) wear and tear on the edge, etc. This morning's shave was as good as any. Obviously, that in itself makes me very happy.

davecmu
05-06-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm so happy this has resurfaced! I missed seeing it, and was just talking about my experience of having it last week to some friends. Gary, it couldn't have gone to a better steward of the piece. Bill, if you're reading this, thanks again for the chance - it was a real honor to have used this razor.

Enjoy it, man.

Bacchus
05-06-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm upset that this razor never had a chance to come to Canada... I'm envious of you!! :biggrin:

Live2Ride
05-06-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm so happy this has resurfaced! I missed seeing it, and was just talking about my experience of having it last week to some friends. Gary, it couldn't have gone to a better steward of the piece. Bill, if you're reading this, thanks again for the chance - it was a real honor to have used this razor.

Enjoy it, man.

+1,000 Very well said!

I'm upset that this razor never had a chance to come to Canada... I'm envious of you!! :biggrin:

Me too. Would have loved photos of the hand-off at the border.

Being the second guy on The Tour, I found myself saying, "Oh man, I wish I'd have done that!" (during Paul and Gary's turns especially.) Over the past year, I've also found myself in places thinking, "Why didn't I bring Bill's Razor here?!"

I am grateful to Bill for the opportunity to be part of this awesome experience, and to the fellows who proudly represented their parts of our great country. It's sad The Tour is over as we are left wondering what might have been; however, the WMTR is home with the man who is most deserving of the honor.

whitebar
05-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Gary, I always wondered what happened to this razor and am happy to see it ended up in good hands where it will be cherished. The WMTR was one of the most fun things I have ever been a part of and I'm just so excited to see pictures of it again. Needless to say, I'll never forget that blade. It is a fine shaver and is one of a kind.

Thanks for sharing!

richmondesi
05-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Gary, I always wondered what happened to this razor and am happy to see it ended up in good hands where it will be cherished. The WMTR was one of the most fun things I have ever been a part of and I'm just so excited to see pictures of it again. Needless to say, I'll never forget that blade. It is a fine shaver and is one of a kind.

Thanks for sharing!

Introduced a couple of friends too. WMTR was all good :thumbup:

joshmpdx
05-14-2010, 07:36 PM
WMTR, it's good to see you agian!

Congrat's, Gary on a great blade.

whitebar
05-14-2010, 07:55 PM

No doubt about that!

Anocer
05-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Hats off to Bill!

Sullybob
05-15-2010, 04:36 PM

It sure did. The WMTR, did a lot more then just let a bunch of guys try a custom razor.

SRock
05-16-2010, 02:57 AM
Bill offered me an opportunity to buy it. As I told Bill, this razor will never be sold again.

:cool:

BillEllis
05-17-2010, 02:18 AM
I will revisit the thread in a bit. I want to properly thank all the participants when I can devote a bit more time to a response. I am happy that I was able to put this together with the help of many of you. You guys were the story... not me or my razor.

SRock
05-17-2010, 02:49 AM
I will revisit the thread in a bit. I want to properly thank all the participants when I can devote a bit more time to a response. I am happy that I was able to put this together with the help of many of you. You guys were the story... not me or my razor.

Very cool, Bill.

TimMechEngr
05-17-2010, 01:47 PM

Bill, it's great to be seeing any type of post from you again! We'll take what we can get when we can get it, but it's certainly good hearing from you once more! :yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

BillEllis
05-20-2010, 01:27 AM
It looks like I may have post #600 on this thread, providing I don't get too long-winded here and someone beats me to it. I never anticipated that many posts for something I lit a fire under that generated a good amount of friendship between members of this forum. :a21: It's a warm fuzzy feeling...

Although there were not all that many guys who took the razor for a spin, I am truly amazed by the travels and stories it spawned. It was a daily fix for me to read about the new adventures and witness the ingenuity that the participants had for their individual contributions. The pictures you guys took were incredible. And after all, who could not forget the downhill bike ride, the red hawkin' Hollywood sign, or Gary's extensive tour of practically the entire state where he lives. :thumbup1:

I enjoyed all the stories and I am thankful for all of the efforts you guys made to make the razor's journey a successful endeavor. If done over, I might have changed a couple things, and not everyone pulled as much of the wagon as most of you did, but I am very happy to have had the time and opportunity to do it. Knowing what I know now, I would have done it all over again.

One of my favorite sections of the journey had to be the person to person exchange made on sacred burial ground between Paul and Stephen. Who woulda thought that a simple razor could be the foundational catalyst for a new friendship. Hope you guys are still in touch with each other on occasion.

I had Gary fill in for me because I could see that he had the leadership skills and a way with words to see the journey through while I dealt with other issues. I am thankful he took the time and picked up the torch for me in my absence. That was also the primary reason I offered the razor to him as the traveling razor made its last trip. I'm glad I did that too. Thanks, Gary.

I also have to make a special thank-you to Ben for all of his efforts. Not only for his great pics and stories, but for generating the google map of the journey. That was super cool. :thumbup1: The best part, though, was Ben's insight to have each participant in the journey jot down a couple thoughts about the experience in a journal for my benefit. I, of course, still have that journal, and it means a great deal to me. Thank you, guys for the comments and kudos.

Again, thank you, each and every one...

richmondesi
05-21-2010, 06:56 PM
It looks like I may have post #600 on this thread, providing I don't get too long-winded here and someone beats me to it. I never anticipated that many posts for something I lit a fire under that generated a good amount of friendship between members of this forum. :a21: It's a warm fuzzy feeling...

Although there were not all that many guys who took the razor for a spin, I am truly amazed by the travels and stories it spawned. It was a daily fix for me to read about the new adventures and witness the ingenuity that the participants had for their individual contributions. The pictures you guys took were incredible. And after all, who could not forget the downhill bike ride, the red hawkin' Hollywood sign, or Gary's extensive tour of practically the entire state where he lives. :thumbup1:

I enjoyed all the stories and I am thankful for all of the efforts you guys made to make the razor's journey a successful endeavor. If done over, I might have changed a couple things, and not everyone pulled as much of the wagon as most of you did, but I am very happy to have had the time and opportunity to do it. Knowing what I know now, I would have done it all over again.

One of my favorite sections of the journey had to be the person to person exchange made on sacred burial ground between Paul and Stephen. Who woulda thought that a simple razor could be the foundational catalyst for a new friendship. Hope you guys are still in touch with each other on occasion.

I had Gary fill in for me because I could see that he had the leadership skills and a way with words to see the journey through while I dealt with other issues. I am thankful he took the time and picked up the torch for me in my absence. That was also the primary reason I offered the razor to him as the traveling razor made its last trip. I'm glad I did that too. Thanks, Gary.

I also have to make a special thank-you to Ben for all of his efforts. Not only for his great pics and stories, but for generating the google map of the journey. That was super cool. :thumbup1: The best part, though, was Ben's insight to have each participant in the journey jot down a couple thoughts about the experience in a journal for my benefit. I, of course, still have that journal, and it means a great deal to me. Thank you, guys for the comments and kudos.

Again, thank you, each and every one...

We speak frequently, Bill... In fact, twice in the last few days on the phone... plus texts :thumbup1:

Live2Ride
05-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Ben's insight about the journal was inspired. I am tickled the journal is in your hands, Bill. Had wondered about it, but just couldn't ask. It's a secret, you know?

It's been a year and a couple days since my turn with the WMTR. Could just as easily have been yesterday, the memories are that clear. It's been a year to the day since I posted "Traveling Razor #1" - hoping it would be the first of many videos/slideshows about The Razor's travels. Just watched it again. Not bad, but I wish I could reshoot it.

After scribbling a few sentences in the journal, scrambling to get the WMTR off to Josh, and sweating until he had it, I got to sit back and be a fan of the WMTR's travels.

But I found myself in a bit of a funk: my handful of razors didn't shine like the WMTR (possibly due to the rust, I mean, patina). The best among them had been restored by Bob Keyes and the rest by little old me, using Bill's DVD as a guide. In time, the funk was replaced by a quiet pride for a larger handful of shave ready straights that I'd restored and honed. My restoration "skills" are growing at a glacial pace, but I'm okay with that. All in good time...

I'm hoping that the other WMTR Fellows will share some thoughts here as their anniversaries approach.

Thank you once again, Bill, for the opportunity to be part of this adventure, for sharing your knowledge, and the product of your talent - the WMTR.

Muirtach
07-05-2010, 12:37 AM
I had stopped following the stories of the WMTR a while back due to lack of net access. I thought about it earlier today (today-ish I suppose as it was still the 4th technically) and am just now checking up on the razor. Some great photos and the memories of shaving with this razor over a year ago are still strong.