PDA

View Full Version : Week of 1912?

MrGuy
04-07-2009, 06:59 PM
OK guys, I love my Micromatics. They are, for me, the best razors in my collection. I started with a bullet tip and honed my SE technique with open combs before trying out the other offerings GEM has made over the years. I guess I never really gave the others a fair chance. A shave here with a Featherweight, a shave there with a G-bar... So I've decided to give the much loved 1912 model a full week of shaves to possibly "re-learn" some technique. Right now they just fall a little short of the Micromatics. Always a little too much blood, never quite BBS, but there must be something good about these razors, right?:wink:
I'll start the journey in the morning with a Damaskeene 1912 and a new Ted Pella blade. I'll keep you updated... unless the shaves start going too good, I might keep that to myself:lol:

Bushranger
04-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Looking forward to reading your experiences with it. I'm about to step into this myself.

pablo_h
04-07-2009, 09:53 PM
I started yesterday with a damaskeene 1912 and a Gem blade and I'm going to stick with that for a week as well.

MrGuy
04-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I started yesterday with a damaskeene 1912 and a Gem blade and I'm going to stick with that for a week as well.

Alright! Looks like I'll have a little company on my journey:biggrin:

Bushranger
04-08-2009, 01:38 AM
yes, but unlike yourself, this will be my first SE shave....i guess proceed with caution?

pablo_h
04-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Hey, I've only tried it for the first time yesterday!
It went well, way better than my first DE shave. I found it very hard to get any weepers or cuts. I had a bit of irritation, but shaving with a SE seemed very easy, easier than DE.

spinyeel
04-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Solidarity Brothers:wink: Gem's and their single edge mates have been overlooked for way too long.:rolleyes:Thanks to Dave and his cohorts these humble razors are finally getting the respect they deserve.:biggrin:Gillette always seem to get all the glory.:rolleyes:,But not for long I feel,the number of satisfied users is increasing by the minute.:jump:

Bushranger
04-08-2009, 03:34 AM
yes....the surge is coming (buy all the SE while u can!) Looking forward to the blades. Thanks spinyeel. With luck I will get them by Friday's post. Dave, thanks for the referral.

MrGuy
04-08-2009, 05:32 AM
yes, but unlike yourself, this will be my first SE shave....i guess proceed with caution?

Hey Bushranger, as I mentioned in my first post I've been getting outstanding shaves with Micromatics for a long time. I wrote up some of what I learned over in this thread (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81951&highlight=micromatic+tips). I would think that the majority of suggestions apply to the 1912 as well, but as I've found the 1912 models just don't seem to work as well for me there must be some differences in technique.
I can't speak for him, but based on many others' posts Dave seems more than willing to help guide guys with all things SE, especially the 1912 models. Heck, if I hadn't started down the SE road before I found B&B, I might have tossed out the Micromatics too:wink:

ambrose
04-08-2009, 05:50 AM
You should have invited people to join you in a week ok 1912 gem shaving.

Keep us posted :smile:

MrGuy
04-08-2009, 06:31 AM
You should have invited people to join you in a week ok 1912 gem shaving.

Keep us posted :smile:

Oh man, sorry guys. I'll do that now.
Anyone can join me! Join in when ever you feel like starting. Make it a week of 1912 shaves and feel free to post here. After this, just to be fair, I think I'll do a week of Micromatic, see who's as crazy as me:wink: Maybe I'll give a little heads up before that one, this was kind of a spur of the moment thing:blush:

Just got done with shave one. Pretty standard 1912 shave for me. A little bloody on the neck, a little tiny bit of all over irritation. I'm going to credit that to the new Ted Pella blade, which for me is always a little rough in shave one. Other than that it seems to have been a little smoother than usual, still not quite as good as a Micromatic, but better than the last time I used a 1912.

Bertilak
04-08-2009, 07:19 AM
My go-to razor has been a GEM 1912 for a few weeks now.

I am training myself on a straight but always use the GEM to finish up the final ATG pass while I develop my straight technique.

I expect a GEM will always be part of my kit, at least for days when I am in a hurry or just for a change now and then. In the near term it is still a necessity.

I have the attached 1900/1901 Gem Junior Bar in the mail. I hope it shaves as well as the 1912!

ambrose
04-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Oh man, sorry guys. I'll do that now.
Anyone can join me! Join in when ever you feel like starting. Make it a week of 1912 shaves and feel free to post here. After this, just to be fair, I think I'll do a week of Micromatic, see who's as crazy as me:wink: Maybe I'll give a little heads up before that one, this was kind of a spur of the moment thing:blush:

Just got done with shave one. Pretty standard 1912 shave for me. A little bloody on the neck, a little tiny bit of all over irritation. I'm going to credit that to the new Ted Pella blade, which for me is always a little rough in shave one. Other than that it seems to have been a little smoother than usual, still not quite as good as a Micromatic, but better than the last time I used a 1912.

Great im in, Today will be my silver 1912 gem jr ornate handle loaded with a gem persona. Lather will be DR Harris lavender lathered up with my rooney 1/3.

No cuts or irritation only super clean DFS. These gems require an added technique, which includes an ultra light pressure and an almost flat against the skin angle.

My first shaves were very bad, I had poor technique with this razor and I also had some bad blades.

Once you find the correct angle great shaves await.

May I recommend you to try a Gem Persona. These are the best I have used so far. Closely followed by the Gem PTFE coated.

ambrose
04-08-2009, 07:32 AM
My go-to razor has been a GEM 1912 for a few weeks now.

I am training myself on a straight but always use the GEM to finish up the final ATG pass while I develop my straight technique.

I expect a GEM will always be part of my kit, at least for days when I am in a hurry or just for a change now and then. In the near term it is still a necessity.

I have the attached 1900/1901 Gem Junior Bar in the mail. I hope it shaves as well as the 1912!

AHHHH SO IT WAS YOU :angry:

Im only kidding friend :biggrin1: and Thank you again for the Gem PTFE blades.

Bertilak
04-08-2009, 08:38 AM
AHHHH SO IT WAS YOU :angry:

Im only kidding friend :biggrin1: and Thank you again for the Gem PTFE blades.

U R welcome on the blades. I hope they work well for you.

Were you also bidding on that GEM Junior Bar? If so I don't think you could have outbid me. :quickdraw

It was one of those things I was willing to pay much more than its intrinsic value (if there is such a thing) so had in a pretty high max bid. (I'm too embarrassed to revel it.) The way I figured it, I won't be spending much more on DE razors so I can work on getting just one or two razors that I really want, and they will of course be in the GEM family. :thumbup:

Anyway, the last two DEs I really wanted went for about $300 -- out of my comfort zone!

D.Irving79
04-08-2009, 09:21 AM
wow, this is awesome :thumbup:

pablo_h
04-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Perseverence pays off hey?
It's great for us new guys, heaps of cheap razors (when compared to DE prices), but probably not so great for collectors that have been going for a while like you :laugh:
I have quite the swag I've found in the past couple of weeks, mainly GEMs, but a few ever readys. I'm only buying the cased pat 1912 and other old types though!

You still haven't spilled the beans on why my pat 1912 razor had "GEM Cultery Co" on it.

Got any answers for my question RE: blades ?
edit: asked here : http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81038&page=2
two questions that is, any history on the SE blade.
And does my sample pack suck as they all appear to be the same.

D.Irving79
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM
You still haven't spilled the beans on why my pat 1912 razor had "GEM Cultery Co" on it.

no, i havent. its part of my research.

i think i said that last time. if i didnt, then im sorry.

pablo_h
04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Yes you did, that's why I said "spilled the beans", rather than saying you didn't answer.
I'm just prodding and hoping something slips :biggrin:

D.Irving79
04-08-2009, 10:18 AM
youre a tricky one :wink:

MrGuy
04-08-2009, 09:49 PM

Wow, very nice! :drool: Let us know how it shaves.

...its part of my research.

Hey Dave, any chance you have a position open for a research assistant? I could help run "field tests" on all those sweet GEMs you seem to come up with:lol:

D.Irving79
04-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Hey Dave, any chance you have a position open for a research assistant? I could help run "field tests" on all those sweet GEMs you seem to come up with:lol:

hahaha. mr. mikeyk has that position on lockdown at the moment :wink:

MrGuy
04-08-2009, 10:51 PM
hahaha. mr. mikeyk has that position on lockdown at the moment :wink:

How about an intern for the summer?:biggrin:

D.Irving79
04-08-2009, 10:53 PM
hahahahaha :biggrin1:

1OldGI
04-09-2009, 04:05 AM
I was watching both of those lather catchers too. Oh well, maybe next time.

1OldGI
04-09-2009, 05:56 AM
Interesting contest between the 1912 Junior and the Micromatic. I have shaved with both quite a bit and cannot determine a definitely superior razor. Every time a shave with the 1912 and say, yeah, that's the better of the two, I turn around and have an absolute shavegasm the next day with the Micromatic. I'd have to call that a dead heat but I do like the heft of the Micromatic and the light nimble feeling of the 1912 (I have the fat bakelite handle model). All in all, I'd say they are the perfect matched set. I've never been disappointed by either.

MrGuy
04-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Interesting contest between the 1912 Junior and the Micromatic. I have shaved with both quite a bit and cannot determine a definitely superior razor. Every time a shave with the 1912 and say, yeah, that's the better of the two, I turn around and have an absolute shavegasm the next day with the Micromatic. I'd have to call that a dead heat but I do like the heft of the Micromatic and the light nimble feeling of the 1912 (I have the fat bakelite handle model). All in all, I'd say they are the perfect matched set. I've never been disappointed by either.

I have to agree that both the 1912 models and the Micromatics are in my top 5, but the MM has a firm hold on 1st place, at least for one more day...

Day 2 down. Played a little with the angle. I'm thinking I might get better results if I hold the head a little "flatter" than I do with the Micromatics. Less blood than yesterday, which at to say almost none, but still more than I'm used to. About as smooth. Still a slight all over irritation. That's the one thing I can't seem to get over when ever I have used the pat. 1912s. I think I'd get a closer shave if I didn't notice the irritation, I probably back off a little too much because of it. Over all, good shave tho.

In an unrelated story, I'm off to work a little early due to the heavy snow fall, AGAIN!!! :angry:

MrGuy
04-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Day 3 in the books. It does help to keep the head flatter against the skin than with a Micromatic. I'm pleased to announce, first 1912 shave with absolutely no blood! For some reason I still got a minor irritation. Nothing visible, just a slight "tingle" all over. It goes away fast at least. Maybe tomorrow I'll switch to a new Walgreen's GEM blade. Bottom line after day 3, still prefer the Micromatc:tongue_sm

Shaving Galoot
04-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I'll jump in on this thread since I started SE shaving with a new to me 1912 Wednesday.

Wednesday's shave was abnormal because I shaved in the late afternoon instead of the morning. So I had more growth than normal. I loaded up a fresh Gem blade from Walgreens and started in. In the end, I had a bunch of weepers between my lower lip and chin and a couple other random spots. Nothing horrible, and it cleaned up with a little witch haze/alcohol mix. The shave was pretty close, but I was left with a pretty tender face.

Thursday morning I debated whether or not to shave. Not much had emerged after about 14 hours. But I decided it was a great opportunity to practice touch-ups. This turned out to be a bit of a mistake. I should have just gone through my normal routine as I had more growth than I originally thought. Again, the result was a close shave, but I still had some tenderness. Not as much as Wednesday, but it was noticeable.

This morning I debated whether or not to continue the experiment. I thought it might be nice to let things clear up for a couple days and then hit it fresh again on Monday. But I couldn't resist. I think the main reason I decided to give it one more go was that all of the tenderness was gone and my beard felt normal for a morning shave. That is, I had the same amount of growth I normally do, so I should be able to go through my normal routine. I took my time and focused on the blade angle and it really paid off. I'm pretty sure the tenderness I was getting from the other two shaves was because I was using an angle of attack that was too steep. This morning I held the razor so that the head was just raised off my face - almost flat. This made a big difference. I had a very close shave and any irritation was taken away with a cold water rinse. I also noticed that the SE razor doesn't leave the slight redness that I usually get with a DE razor. Nice side effect.

It took me a little while to get the blade angle right because the orientation of the head on the 1912 is so much different than I'm used to with any of my DE razors. With the 1912 I had to hold the handle much closer to perpendicular to my face than with any of my DE razors.

In the end, I was really impressed with the results. However, much to my surprise, my family only gave it 'good' marks. Normally, my boys (5 and 7) are really tough. If they find anything, they'll let me know. So I didn't let their assessments get me down. I still thought it was pretty good. But then my wife even gave it a very good, but not your best kind of rating. Maybe I'm just proud that I tamed the 1912 and I really like the nostalgia effect of using a razor that's so old. But I thought it was one of my closest shaves yet.

So, will this be my daily shaver? Probably not. Not because it wasn't effective or because it wasn't comfortable enough. Mostly because it does take more effort and is difficult to work in some areas. But I will continue to use it for those special occasions where I have a little extra time and want to use the coolest looking razor in my den.

~Jeff
who is not sure if he's going to try a Treet blade in his 1912 tomorrow or give his new I1 injector a virgin run with a fresh Ted Pella

MrGuy
04-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey Jeff, good to see another guy start on the SE journey. Keep trying out more blades and SE razors. When I started SE shaving with the Micromatics, I could only handle two days in a row before I needed to break out the Gillette Tech for a few shaves and give my face a break. I could go for months now with the Micromatic, we'll see how long I can hold out with the 1912:wink:

BTW, As a "tribute" to 1OldGI, I just set out my fat handle pat. 1912 GEM Jr. for tomorrow's shave.

pablo_h
04-11-2009, 01:07 AM
My second shave with the 1912 was just fine, no nicks or cuts but not a close shave either.
My third shave wasn't very close, felt the blade starting to drag, missed a few spots. Starting to think I need a more aggressive SE, or a sharper blade.

For my fourth, I thought I'd try to strop the blade, but like everytime I have tried that, it seemed to make the blade worse, so I started with a new blade.
I got a couple of weepers, probably because I used too much pressure because the last shave was not very close. Of course today has a new blade so I shouldn't have needed to use more pressure. So a couple of weepers, but the closest shave I've had with the GEM.

edit: Also I tried building a lather that I read in the forums (dry brush, wet soap method). I think I might have been too dry for me, I usually make my lather on the wetter foamier side that peaks on the face, rather than the thicker pancake makeup style that gets pasted level and flat on the face.

This is the older gem head which was more flat, I have a newer pat 1912 that has the more curved head and I might give that a go and try the personna blades next week.

D.Irving79
04-11-2009, 01:50 AM
whats your blade stropping routine?

pablo_h
04-11-2009, 02:18 AM
I did it with DEs like your video and I didn't get anything out of it, normally the blades were worse after trying to hand strop them.
So for this SE blade, I didn't do it on the edge of my palm because that hasn't worked before, but I tried 3 passes each side on a rolls leather strop pad.

D.Irving79
04-11-2009, 02:26 AM
if your hand didnt work the rolls most likely wont either.

well, sometimes it works, sometimes it dosent. it could be that particular blade or it just might be something that dosent work for you.

:001_smile

Shave Cat
04-11-2009, 07:32 AM
This is the older gem head which was more flat, I have a newer pat 1912 that has the more curved head and I might give that a go and try the personna blades next week.
Do I understand you correctly? All 1912s do not have the same head geometry? I know the first ones had open combs (rather than closed), but if there are other differences, some comparison photos would be helpful for identification purposes.

-Clarke

MrGuy
04-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Do I understand you correctly? All 1912s do not have the same head geometry? If that is the case, some comparison photos would be helpful for identification purposes.

-Clarke

I attempted to post some pics of the two different heads in this thread (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81620&highlight=1912+gem+heads). They didn't come out all that clear, but I think you might get the idea.

Shave Cat
04-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Andy,

Sorry I missed that post. Your photos are definitely helpful. I just checked my 1912s. They're all flat headed. So, was it the early 1912s that had curved heads, later ones as Pablo said, or was it something ASR tried for just a while?

-Clarke

MrGuy
04-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Fourth shave down. I would say it was the best 1912 shave to date. No blood, and I'm going to have to give this one the full BBS approval. I did switch over to the fat handle model, but kept the Pella blade for the fourth go. Also, no irritation this time. I was able go a little more aggressive with the tough up passes due to the lack of irritation, that led to the full on BBS I'm thinking. I feel like I had to put in more effort to reach BBS then when compared to the MM, but the results were worth it.

Clarke, I don't think I ever got a solid answer on the time line of the GEM heads. It seems like based on the open comb 1912 comparison of the curved top and coarser threads that they were earlier models, but I'm not quite sure.

pablo_h
04-11-2009, 10:23 AM
The flat head one came in a covered wood case, has the "use only damaskeene blades" stamp inside and "gem cutlery co" stamping on the back.
The curved head one comes in a metal case, fancier handle and just has "gem brooklyn new york" inside, and nothing on the back.

Due to the type of box and the stamping on it, I always thought my flat head razor is older than my curved head one.

Mikeyk
04-11-2009, 03:21 PM
A razor that reads "Gem Cutlery Co. New York" is likely pre 1920. Gem Cutlery Co changed to Gem Safety Razor Co (and started stamping the razors with "Gem" only) at a point after World War I. The earlier heads have the more pronounced, curved "bird beak" like shape. The later ones are more flattish and stamped looking. IMHO, the earlier GEM Damaskene razors are much more attractive than the later model Gems that had fancy handles to detract from the cheaper looking heads and thinner plating. Ask Corky Irving the date that Gem moved into Brooklyn; he has a "not before" date for a razor so marked. It is interesting that my 1912 open-comb has a smaller knurled handle than it's post 1912 counterparts. I thought the whole razor was smaller until Corky Irving pointed out that it was the handle.

richmondesi
04-11-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm in the middle of my #4 Old Post Road trial. Next week I'm going all SEs to see what all of the fuss is about :thumbup1:

D.Irving79
04-11-2009, 03:48 PM
The flat head one came in a covered wood case, has the "use only damaskeene blades" stamp inside and "gem cutlery co" stamping on the back.
The curved head one comes in a metal case, fancier handle and just has "gem brooklyn new york" inside, and nothing on the back.

Due to the type of box and the stamping on it, I always thought my flat head razor is older than my curved head one.

you people are going to make your heads spin :001_rolle

between basic stamping and minor technical changes, the age and order of the 1912s can be determined, which i have information on that everyone will hopefully find most interesting.

Shaving Galoot
04-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Hey Jeff, good to see another guy start on the SE journey. Keep trying out more blades and SE razors. When I started SE shaving with the Micromatics, I could only handle two days in a row before I needed to break out the Gillette Tech for a few shaves and give my face a break. I could go for months now with the Micromatic, we'll see how long I can hold out with the 1912:wink:

BTW, As a "tribute" to 1OldGI, I just set out my fat handle pat. 1912 GEM Jr. for tomorrow's shave.

Thanks for the encouragement. I skipped SE altogether this morning and returned to my old-faithful HD Merkur Barberpole. No irritation, very comfortable shave, but not as close as I remember. I think the closeness I've been getting from my 1912 tests have raised my standards on judging closeness. I might try a Treet blade in my 1912 tomorrow. Then again, there's a fresh blade in my new Schick injector that's begging me to try out. I'm going to continue to work with these SE razors for a while.

By the way, I've heard that the G-bar is a little less aggressive than the 1912. Is this true?

Thanks,

~Jeff

MrGuy
04-11-2009, 07:11 PM
between basic stamping and minor technical changes, the age and order of the 1912s can be determined, which i have information on that everyone will hopefully find most interesting.

We can't find it interesting until you share:wink:

Jeff, I've heard a lot of guys praise the G-bars, I have yet to finish a satisfactory shave with one. During my "testing" with the 1912, I think I'm going to have to do a week of each GEM style I have, try to become a "master" of each one. There's only one way to see if the G-bar will be good for you:biggrin:

Shaving Galoot
04-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Jeff, I've heard a lot of guys praise the G-bars, I have yet to finish a satisfactory shave with one. During my "testing" with the 1912, I think I'm going to have to do a week of each GEM style I have, try to become a "master" of each one. There's only one way to see if the G-bar will be good for you:biggrin:

The G-bar is on my list of razors to watch for on BST. I'm already at my budget for the month, but that won't stop me if a good deal comes up. I'm also looking for an older Schick injector with a bakelite handle. I'm kind of in a SE mood.

~Jeff
wondering whether he'll grab the 1912 with a Treet blade or the injector in the morning and won't know until just before it hits his face tomorrow

guru
04-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I like the GEM SE's. I have three, the Micromatic, the Junior and a 1912. I wish I'd have seen this post when it was fresh so I could have done it with you. Maybe I'll try the 1912 with a fresh Gem stainless tomorrow. Still would like to buy 25-50 of the Ted Pella blades to see if they are better than the ones I get here. Cheaper they would be. Someone want to take on a group buy?

MrGuy
04-12-2009, 07:26 AM
I like the GEM SE's. I have three, the Micromatic, the Junior and a 1912. I wish I'd have seen this post when it was fresh so I could have done it with you. Maybe I'll try the 1912 with a fresh Gem stainless tomorrow. Still would like to buy 25-50 of the Ted Pella blades to see if they are better than the ones I get here. Cheaper they would be. Someone want to take on a group buy?

You can still do a week of 1912! Start whenever you want and use it for a week to perfect your technique. The reason I started it was because I didn't seem able to get a decent shave with a razor that most SE users rank as the superior razor. I've found that I needed to slightly alter my technique between the two razors to get the 1912 to perform.
Don't fee left out, I'm going to do a week of Micromatic next, I'll give the board a little heads up on that one for anybody wishing to join.

Easter shave done. Day 5 and I think I officially have the 1912 figured out. 2nd BBS in a row, no blood or irritation. I don't think the 1912 will take the place of the Micromatics in my number one spot, but I'm feeling a little better about them.

pablo_h
04-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Drama free and no blood for me either this time.
I have been stropping and honing my rolls and started with that though for todays shave.
Unfortunately, that's still shaving like a blunt derby, fine on the cheeks, murder on the throat and chin. So I used the GEM for two passes after the one pass with the rolls.

I might be getting my micromatic late next week, but postage is slow.
If I get the rolls sharp enough, I'm up for a week of rolls.
But if I get the micromatic soon, (I've been waiting 2 weeks already), I'll join you. I've heard that's more aggressive? That might be what I need, then again, it could be the blade as I'm only using GEM bluestar.

I haven't got a close shave with the 1912, more like the closeness of what I get out of a superspeed and IP, red personna, or gillette blade. Although I do like the GEM, it does it quicker than a DE so I'm happy to use it for a quick daily shave.

edit:

you people are going to make your heads spin :001_rolle

between basic stamping and minor technical changes, the age and order of the 1912s can be determined, which i have information on that everyone will hopefully find most interesting.Well do you have any information on the shape of the head. Some have said the older ones had a more curved beak-like shape and the newer ones were flatter.
My damaskeene GEM with the knurled handle, wooden box and GEM cutlery co on the backthat I posted photos of in another thread, you said was the first or second version after the open comb type, that razor has a flat head.
And the newer type with only "gem, brooklyn, new york, made in the USA" on the inside, and nothing stamped on the back, with the grooved handle and metal box, actually has the more curved head.
A couple people have posted here and said the curved head is the older design, which makes no sense :confused:

I hope to find out your interesting information one day.
:lol::lol::lol:
Thanks for all the help given so far though, you've been extremely helpful.

It's just the suspense is killing me :blush:

spinyeel
04-12-2009, 08:00 AM
I have been stropping and honing my rolls and started with that though for todays shave.
Unfortunately, that's still shaving like a blunt derby, fine on the cheeks, murder on the throat and chin. So I used the GEM for two passes after the one pass with the rolls.

But if I get the micromatic soon, (I've been waiting 2 weeks already), I'll join you. I've heard that's more aggressive? That might be what I need, then again, it could be the blade as I'm only using GEM bluestar.

I haven't got a close shave with the 1912, more like the closeness of what I get out of a superspeed and IP, red personna, or gillette blade. Although I do like the GEM, it does it quicker than a DE so I'm happy to use it for a quick daily shave.

edit:
Well do you have any information on the shape of the head. Some have said the older ones had a more curved beak-like shape and the newer ones were flatter.
My damaskeene GEM with the knurled handle, wooden box and GEM cutlery co on the backthat I posted photos of in another thread, you said was the first or second version after the open comb type, that razor has a flat head.
And the newer type with only "gem, brooklyn, new york, made in the USA" on the inside, and nothing stamped on the back, with the grooved handle and metal box, actually has the more curved head.
A couple people have posted here and said the curved head is the older design, which makes no sense :confused:

The Roll's is a different beast.:wink:If you don't get the blade sharp enough,the quality of the shave will suffer.:eek:Work on the blade,even if it requires honing on a norton or similar stone and your results will improve immesurably.:smile:

pablo_h
04-12-2009, 08:23 AM
The Roll's is a different beast.:wink:If you don't get the blade sharp enough,the quality of the shave will suffer.:eek:Work on the blade,even if it requires honing on a norton or similar stone and your results will improve immesurably.:smile:
Yeah, I've been working on the rolls for hours, so much so that I've got blisters working the handle. I've been honing and stropping a fhundred + times every day for the last 4 days as it has a bit of chipping and corrosion on the razor edge when I bought it.
I've made some progress on it, and flipped the honing stone, so I'm getting somewhere, but I may need a new strop for it. Anyway, discussion of the rolls is for a different thread, and unfortunately the rolls thread is dead.
I only mentioned it here because any irritation I felt after the GEM shave was probably due to hacking away with the rolls first.

Mikeyk
04-12-2009, 09:11 AM

edit:
Well do you have any information on the shape of the head. Some have said the older ones had a more curved beak-like shape and the newer ones were flatter.

Maybe looking at these photos will make more sense. The brass headed black handled Gem is a late model 1912. The head is flat (this one with a bevel at the end).

The razor shown in the ad is an early, Damaskeene model. Notice the pronounced curve to the cap, no bevel.

Bertilak
04-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Maybe looking at these photos will make more sense. The brass headed black handled Gem is a late model 1912. The head is flat (this one with a bevel at the end).

The razor shown in the ad is an early, Damaskeene model. Notice the pronounced curve to the cap, no bevel.

But the ad copy says that the razor has been on the market for at least 25 years (at the time of the ad) so this would imply the pictured razor is a late model, not an early model. Or do you think the ad was picturing an early model to emphasize the history? I think they would picture a current model since that is what they were trying to sell.

pablo_h
04-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah, but here's mine: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1074586&postcount=42
It has a flatter head than my later one.
If you look at this post:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1122118&postcount=12
My damaskeene marked razor I'm using is the top row middle column razor as you can tell. The one below that razor (middle column, middle row, ie dead centre) and has no "gem cutlery co", no damaskeene, only has 'GEM, Brooklyn, New York, made in the USA' on the inside,and nothing on the back, actually has the more pronouced curve.
The older 'damaskeene', 'gem cutlery co razor' is flatter.

Mikeyk
04-12-2009, 09:33 AM
The ad is from 1919.

MrGuy
04-12-2009, 09:34 AM
But the ad copy says that the razor has been on the market for at least 25 years (at the time of the ad) so this would imply the pictured razor is a late model, not an early model. Or do you think the ad was picturing an early model to emphasize the history? I think they would picture a current model since that is what they were trying to sell.

The ad could just be referring to any GEM razor, not just the one in the ad itself. When a company makes a new product they tend to bring up how long they've been around. I don't know tho, I'm no "Dave".:lol: Just an idea.

EDIT: I'm no "Mikeyk" either:lol:

Mikeyk
04-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Do you have a photo of the head of the Gem Cutlery Co razor? If the head is truly flat, then the cap was changed. (I am assuming you are talking about the cap in all of this). The cap on the first model, open comb razor is exactly the same as the Damaskeene Gem with the knurled handle and the Gem Cutlery Co c 1915. It is a bird-like cap.

Deve? Please?

Mikeyk
04-12-2009, 09:39 AM
The ad could just be referring to any GEM razor, not just the one in the ad itself. When a company makes a new product they tend to bring up how long they've been around. I don't know tho, I'm no "Dave".:lol: Just an idea.

EDIT: I'm no "Mikeyk" either:lol:

Exactly. Gem was referring to their entry into safety razors in the:wink: mid 1890's.

And, I am no Dave either.

pablo_h
04-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Do you have a photo of the head of the Gem Cutlery Co razor? If the head is truly flat, then the cap was changed. (I am assuming you are talking about the cap in all of this). The cap on the first model, open comb razor is exactly the same as the Damaskeene Gem with the knurled handle and the Gem Cutlery Co c 1915. It is a bird-like cap.

Deve? Please?

Damaskeene marked one is the one on the left, the metal cased one I ws talking about before is the one on the right. It's got a bit of a curve, but the other one seems like more of a curve.
Edit: also the 'cap' is longer on the damaskeene stamped razor. Maybe it just seems flatter because it's longer?

Mikeyk
04-12-2009, 09:52 AM
The razor on the left is the on I would have immediately chosen as the Damaskeene (early Gem) since the head has a more pronounced curve than the one on the right.

pablo_h
04-12-2009, 10:01 AM
OK, it just looked like less of a curve to me because it's longer :thumbup1:
I guess I was describing it wrong.

edit: if I align up the handles, the damaskeene has a sharper angle, but more of a straight angle from top to bottom. The other one starts lower, so bows out more. But if I ignore the handles and line up the comb to the top of the cap, the curve and the angles are almost exactly the same, just the damaskeen has a slightly longer cap and the handles are pointing different directions.

Mikeyk
04-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I haven't really noticed a difference between the two, although maybe someone else has. The only one that's really given me a different shave is the open comb; that one is a bit more aggressive but not in a bad way. In addition, the open comb has to be rinsed more since there are no lather channels in the head base.

I like the feel of the early knurled handle better than the later ones (the open comb knurled handle is smaller btw).

guru
04-12-2009, 10:23 AM
The pic is a little unclear, but is that the 1912 with the ornate handle? I have one just like it, and was wondering about it. It has a fresh Gem and is ready for this AM's shave. Anyone know it year, maybe, or value?

Great im in, Today will be my silver 1912 gem jr ornate handle loaded with a gem persona. Lather will be DR Harris lavender lathered up with my rooney 1/3.

No cuts or irritation only super clean DFS. These gems require an added technique, which includes an ultra light pressure and an almost flat against the skin angle.

My first shaves were very bad, I had poor technique with this razor and I also had some bad blades.

Once you find the correct angle great shaves await.

May I recommend you to try a Gem Persona. These are the best I have used so far. Closely followed by the Gem PTFE coated.

ambrose
04-12-2009, 10:44 AM
The pic is a little unclear, but is that the 1912 with the ornate handle? I have one just like it, and was wondering about it. It has a fresh Gem and is ready for this AM's shave. Anyone know it year, maybe, or value?

Yes sir, looks like your ready to shave away. :smile:

Rolls-Royce
04-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Today's shave was with my 1912 Junior. Blade was a Gem Personna with 3 prior shaves under its belt, hand-stropped before use. Tabac soap with a Vulfix Super Badger. Dickinson's witch hazel splash post-shave. BBS on my cheeks and under the jawline, not quite so close on my neck, with nearly zero irritation. Overall, a DFS!

I've taken a cue from Michael Ham and started using the Musgo Real Glyce Lime oil soap pre-shave, and I think it improves the shave. One does have to be careful not to completely rinse, but leave a thin water/soap film.

D.Irving79
04-12-2009, 01:10 PM
this thread is making my head hurt.

there are about 5 or so characteristics, most of which have NOTHING to do with how flat the cap is. case and stampings have more to do with it than those things actually.

you guys find them. i already said my mouth is shut :001_smile

Mikeyk
04-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Say, a more dapper fella you'll never find. Nice necktie too.

D.Irving79
04-12-2009, 06:29 PM
wooa.

MrGuy
04-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Today's shave was with my 1912 Junior. Blade was a Gem Personna with 3 prior shaves under its belt, hand-stropped before use. Tabac soap with a Vulfix Super Badger. Dickinson's witch hazel splash post-shave. BBS on my cheeks and under the jawline, not quite so close on my neck, with nearly zero irritation. Overall, a DFS!

I've taken a cue from Michael Ham and started using the Musgo Real Glyce Lime oil soap pre-shave, and I think it improves the shave. One does have to be careful not to completely rinse, but leave a thin water/soap film.

Hey, another shave post! I almost forgot why this thread started.:lol::lol:

Dave, no hints or anything? Throw us a freakin' bone here!

D.Irving79
04-12-2009, 07:06 PM
no, no hints, no nothing, no.

MrGuy
04-12-2009, 07:13 PM
no, no hints, no nothing, no.

Alright, but you're going to have to write a note to my boss explaining my lost productivity due to trying to figure out your mysterious knowledge.:biggrin:

D.Irving79
04-12-2009, 07:16 PM
youve got a deal :lol:

ambrose
04-12-2009, 11:17 PM
:lol: Dave you crack me up with your mysterious yet insightful comments.

RocketMan
04-13-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm becoming more confused than usual! :blink:

pablo_h
04-13-2009, 05:11 AM
I've got even more questions about my thrid gem, but what's the point?
It's all a mystery and will stay that way for a while it seems :lol:
6th shave, this time with a gem by persona brand.
It didn't seem to shave any better than the gem bluestar, seemed smoother WTG on the cheeks, I really thought I was in for an awesome shave. But it seemed rougher than the blue star ATG and on my neck. Maybe it's only the fact it's coated and lasts longer is the only thing going for it over the non coated bluestar?
Nevertheless, a decent shave with less drama and with greater speed than a DE. My "5 o'clock shadow" is a lot less than after a DE shave.

MrGuy
04-13-2009, 07:49 AM
I'm becoming more confused than usual! :blink:
+C :001_huh:

I've got even more questions about my thrid gem, but what's the point?
It's all a mystery and will stay that way for a while it seems :lol:
6th shave, this time with a gem by persona brand.
It didn't seem to shave any better than the gem bluestar, seemed smoother WTG on the cheeks, I really thought I was in for an awesome shave. But it seemed rougher than the blue star ATG and on my neck. Maybe it's only the fact it's coated and lasts longer is the only thing going for it over the non coated bluestar?
Nevertheless, a decent shave with less drama and with greater speed than a DE. My "5 o'clock shadow" is a lot less than after a DE shave.

pablo, was the the first shave with the Persona? Sometimes they can start a little rough for a shave or two. I usually give a new blade two shaves before calling it a dud, unless it really tears me up. Yes, you've also discovered one of the great mysteries (other than Dave) of SE shaving. SE BBS does seem to last longer and somehow get closer than a BBS DE shave. There have been threads debating this, but I'm convinced that anyone who argues against it hasn't ever used a SE.

Shave six, changed to an all brass 1912 Junior. I think I've found the end of the line for the Pella blade. Really had to work for BBS, and didn't quite get it. A couple of tiny blood spots, but nothing to be concerned over.

pablo_h
04-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Yeah, first time I used the personna, so a new blade from the packet and the first shave I've ever had with them.
I only started using a SE for the first time ever the day before you posted this thread.
I happened to open the Gem blue star blade pack for my first shave, so I used it for shave 1-3, then after a bad start on shave 4* I got rid of that first blue star blade and started with a new gem blue star to finish shave #4 and used it for #5 too.
So I've tried 2 brand new from the packet blue star blades already, and due to curiosity I tried a different blade today, the personna.

* I tried to strop the first blade after detecting a little bit of tugging during the end of shave #3. As usual, any stropping attempt I make completely ruins a blade for me and made the fading blade completely useless.

MrGuy
04-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah, first time I used the personna, so a new blade from the packet and the first shave I've ever had with them.
I only started using a SE for the first time ever the day before you posted this thread.

Good to have another shaver on the SE side:thumbup1:
That Persona should tame down for you.

Shaving Galoot
04-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I've restarted my 1912 experiments after a couple days off. I used a fresh Treet blade instead of a Gem blade as I did before. I'm not sure if it was the blade or improvement in my technique, but so far, I'm really liking this morning's shave. Very close and very comfortable. Most of my face is BBS, but I could still do just a little better on my neck. I think I'm doing a much better job with blade angle, keeping it just off the head for a low angle of attack. Because of the different geometry of the head to the handle configuration, I think the angle I was using before was too steep and that caused some irritation. Finally, while the Treet treated me nice this morning, I could already see discoloration on the blade right after the shave. I rinsed both the blade and inside of the head and swished them in alcohol to try to prevent any rusting as I believe these are carbon steel and not stainless. I didn't see anything on the actual cutting edge, so I think it'll be fine tomorrow, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

~Jeff
looking forward to tomorrow's try

Bertilak
04-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Seems most people have trouble with their very first 1912 shave. I know I did. Somehow the next one just works!

I recommend going to stainless (at least) and PTFE coated (better yet) blades. I had lots of rust with the plain steel blades. Not worth the trouble. If you treat them like a carbon steel straight and dry them off completely between uses it would probably be OK but that is a lot of work -- taking the blades out and putting them back them, drying them w/o dulling the edge, etc..

Shaving Galoot
04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I'm going to give the carbon steel blades a shot. But I didn't like the way they looked after 10+ minutes of shaving.

~Jeff

Sam Harmon
04-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Just took the SE plunge.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/JT_Production/PIC-0252.jpg?t=1239644170

Things went pretty smoothly, but on the second pass, I gave myself a little nick around the Adam's Apple. Think I was getting a little too complacent.

Overall, I'd give the shave a B-, which isn't bad for my first try. Also, the only blades I could get on short notice were CVS brand. I'm encourage enough that it might be worth it to get some Ted Pella blades and move this into my rotation.

Mikeyk
04-13-2009, 12:16 PM
IMHO, CVS blades are brutal; that you only nicked yourself in one place is a credit to your dexterity. Go to Walgreens and get the GEM Personas; they are rebranded Ted Pella blades and are excellent.

Bertilak
04-13-2009, 12:17 PM
PM me and I'll mail you two Pellas to try out.

EDIT1: Or do what Mikeyk says! May be faster.

EDIT2: To get the blades from Ted Pella you need to order 200. The following place has the same thing in 100-blade lots: http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx (71970). Note that the Pellas come in 100-blade packages but you need to by 200 blades (2 packages) at once.

Sam Harmon
04-13-2009, 12:20 PM
IMHO, CVS blades are brutal; that you only nicked yourself in one place is a credit to your dexterity. Go to Walgreens and get the GEM Personas; they are rebranded Ted Pella blades and are excellent.

Yeah, I'm feeling a little bit of burn now--even after some Thayer's unscented and the BB balm. I'd definitely downgrade the shave to a C/C-.

I'll stop by Walgreens. Hell, I have half a dozen within walking distance of my building.

Sam Harmon
04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
PM me and I'll mail you two Pellas to try out.

EDIT1: Or do what Mikeyk says! May be faster.

EDIT2: To get the blades from Ted Pella you need to order 200. The following place has the same thing in 100-blade lots: http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx (71970). Note that the Pellas come in 100-blade packages but you need to by 200 blades (2 packages) at once.

Thanks for the kind offer. I'm going to grab some at Walgreens and keep an eye out for the next split of Pellas on BST.

Rolls-Royce
04-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Strange how these companies do their distribution. CVS here doesn't stock their own brand of blades, but has the carbon-steel Treets, as does Rite-Aid. Walgreens here does have the GEM Personnas. As others have, I found my first shave with the GP to be a bit harsh. It took a couple of shaves to smooth out (and probably improve my technique as well), but the wait was worth it. I can easily get BBS or DFS with only a WTG and ATG pass, but I really do have to pay attention to angle and pressure.

Shaving Galoot
04-13-2009, 01:15 PM
As others have, I found my first shave with the GP to be a bit harsh. It took a couple of shaves to smooth out (and probably improve my technique as well), but the wait was worth it. I can easily get BBS or DFS with only a WTG and ATG pass, but I really do have to pay attention to angle and pressure.

Do you find that the first shave with a fresh GEM blade is a little rough, but then calms down? I ask because I've only used a GEM blade once. The first shave was OK, but I had a little irritation. I tried the hand stropping trick and had better results on shaves #2 and #3, but I think I also improved my technique. I wonder if the fresh blades might have a small wire edge left on them from the honing process that could be removed with hand stropping. Anyone else try this?

~Jeff
looking forward to more SE shaving trials

RocketMan
04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Seems most people have trouble with their very first 1912 shave. ..

Maybe my skin is just made for this razor, but my first shave was pure bliss. It was recent (I may have raved on in this post somewhere! :blushing:) but has since become my absolute favorite! Still just shaves like a dream. :001_wub:

Sam Harmon
04-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Out of curiosity, would briefly stropping the blade on my Rolls Razor Strop be of any use?

Rolls-Royce
04-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Do you find that the first shave with a fresh GEM blade is a little rough, but then calms down? I ask because I've only used a GEM blade once. The first shave was OK, but I had a little irritation. I tried the hand stropping trick and had better results on shaves #2 and #3, but I think I also improved my technique. I wonder if the fresh blades might have a small wire edge left on them from the honing process that could be removed with hand stropping. Anyone else try this?

~Jeff
looking forward to more SE shaving trials

So far, yes. But this is only the first GEM blade I've used (the others were carbon steel Treets, which seem to respond a little better to Dave's hand stropping trick). Hopefully the next blade-and my technique-will be a little better.

Bertilak
04-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Maybe my skin is just made for this razor, but my first shave was pure bliss. It was recent (I may have raved on in this post somewhere! :blushing:) but has since become my absolute favorite! Still just shaves like a dream. :001_wub:

I should have said "many" instead of "most". And my first shave was bad because I got bad advice or misunderstood good advice. :001_smile

When I "just did it" things worked out great.

D.Irving79
04-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Out of curiosity, would briefly stropping the blade on my Rolls Razor Strop be of any use?

you could try it. it might work for you.

MrGuy
04-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Calling it a week! Shave 7, nice shave, a little nick that was due to not enough sleep last night. What have I learned after a week of 1912? Well, I can get a good, BBS shave from a pat. 1912 model GEM, but it's not as easy or as much fun as with a Micromatic. The 1912 will likely see a little more time in the rotation, but I have to say that it hasn't taken over. I'm happy I did it, but I'm also really looking forward to a Micromatic shave tomorrow. I hope the rest of you guys keep posting your results with the 1912, and more guys start.

Bushranger
04-14-2009, 06:43 AM
starting mine tomorrow Andy.

pablo_h
04-14-2009, 07:51 AM
I skipped my shave today.
But I've just started the personna blade, so my next few shaves will be that blade and the 1912 anyway, just to see if it does get better after a few shaves.
My micromatic will arrive soon, so I'll try that too when it gets here.
If not, I'll try one of the other gem or ever-readys I do have.
If I get bored, I'll try get my rolls shave ready.

Shaving Galoot
04-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Shave #5 for me. This is shave #2 with the Treet carbon steel blade. It'll probably be the last because I forgot to rinse it out with alcohol, so it'll probably be a bit rusty by the time I get home tonight. Back to the shave. I really think I have this 1912 figured out. I was able to keep the angle such that the head was raised just off my face. I also used a light touch and it all paid off. Very close and very comfortable. I'm liking this SE thing. Gonna have to try more razors. I'm thinking a micromatic and a G-bar should be next.

~Jeff

MrGuy
04-14-2009, 07:41 PM
starting mine tomorrow Andy.

Alright! :thumbup1: Let us know how it works for you and remember above all, no pressure! Good luck.

RocketMan
04-14-2009, 08:22 PM

Thanx for the idea! I knew of a really buggered up rolls for 2.00 - I could never figure out why I wanted it as I didn't need parts or another rolls - but, the only good piece really was the lid with the strop - well, there ya go!! I am gonna keep it in the cabinet for stropping my DE blades - thnx

pablo_h
04-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Well I had my 7th shave with the 1912 GEM just then.
I ran into a problem, I had no idea which was the 2 shave old GEM Bluestar blade, or which was the one shave old GEM Personna blade as they have no markings.
So I tried both, and you know what? I couldn't tell the difference.
Neither stood out as sharper or smoother than the other.

If I could find out which was which I might try the personna again tomorrow :confused:

Anyway, pain free and blood free shave that was OK. I missed a few spots that are always difficult no matter what brand or type of blade razor (under chin, under jaw, near adams apple).

But what I did get done right, is the BBS, and that's a first for me! I did 3 passes and blade buffing. I think I finally got good at blade buffing, and nothing beats a GEM at doing it. edit: I have tried it many times on a DE without success, and never bothered doing it much with an aggressive DE and a feather due to the burn and weepers you'd get.

Also I'm way better getting a DFS on my chin (corner of my lips down to the jawline), that has always been impossible with a DE as the stubble is tough there. This is the section of my face that dulls an electric razor blade after a few months, or a M3 cartridge after 3 uses. Shaving that section well and cheaply was the only reason why I got into wetshaving.

MrGuy
04-15-2009, 09:58 AM
...But what I did get done right, is the BBS, and that's a first for me!...

:thumbup::clap::clap::thumbup:
Here's to many more!

pablo_h
04-17-2009, 07:12 AM
I just tried a treet blade.
It's very different, but that may be my imagination, so I thought I'd run my observations pasts you guys.
First of all, it cut me up like a new DE user using a feather DE. That could be my poor technique, even though I've never been cut using a GEM and a bluestar or personna blade.
But it could have been me being too relaxed due to getting away with any misdemeanor I may have committed using this GEM for 8 days.
Also this blade was made by the same ASR plant that produces nearly every other SE razor I have, there's no reason for this blade to be sharper than the others, is there?

But...this treet blade was way smoother and sharper than the blue star or the personna.
The blue star was equivalent in my opinion to a red personna DE, it make an audible scraping cutting noise as it sliced the beard, but did a decent job.
The GEM personna didn't stand out as any better, it was as rough as a 3 shave old bluestar, and didn't seem much better the next day. Although it's performance wasn't bad, and maybe it's key is longevity, I wouldn't pay a lot more for them over the bluestar.

But this Treet, nothing like the 'roughness' of the bluestar or personna, it was more like a feather in that you couldn't hear the loud scraping cutting action, just count the weepers that appear afterwards.
Any weaper that occurred was definitely my fault, as I wasn't expecting such a sharp blade and was too comfortable with doing what ever I wanted with a bluestar or personna and not getting cut.

So is it just me that think the treets are different, ie sharper, to the blue star and personna?
edit:
If it's just me, then maybe I seated the blade into the razor differently.

Shaving Galoot
04-17-2009, 07:34 AM
So is it just me that think the treets are different, ie sharper, to the blue star and personna?

I couldn't tell any difference between the Gem and the Treet except that I only got 2 shaves out of the Treet because I forgot to rinse it in alcohol and the edge developed rust. But, I have very limited experience. I had three shaves on the Gem and 2 on the Treet.

More testing!

~Jeff

Shave Cat
04-17-2009, 07:36 AM
If I'm not mistaken,the Treet SE blades are carbon steel, rather than stainless. As such, they can take a keener edge, but dull more quickly than a stainless steel blade. Of course, I could be wrong.

-Clarke

guru
04-17-2009, 07:51 AM
I was so with you on the 1912 thing. I have a 1912, a Junior and a Micromatic, all SE's. I, too enjoy using them and get fine shaves. Was doing a little experiment myself, setting my three against each other. Was well into the week, well, three days anyway, when an almost new '60 Fatboy arrives at my door, thanks to thebeav. Pretty. Shiny. I couldn't resist, got some of the best shavs of my life. I'll go back now, after three days with the surprising good Fatnboy, to my Gem comparison. I must say that I was having some fine shaves, using the Gem blades I have. They seem to be sharp enough and feel smooth on my face. Since good blades are kind of hard to come by, I've been using the Gem blade in my comparisons. And for me, too early to tell. The 1912 gave a great shave but I don't know if it was much better than the Micromatic Clog-Pruf all brass I use. When the blade is the same, new in each razor to start, the differences are probably the shaver. Gonna' assume the technique was the same. I got the same fine shaves with each of them, they all gave DFS, and not much difference. I know this may be too simplistic. And If I change my mind and one does dominate, I'll let you know.

Shaving Galoot
04-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Today's SE experiment didn't go so well. So far I have 5 shaves with the 1912 (3 on a Gem blade and 2 on a Treet). I thought I was getting the hang of it and was getting good shaves. Today I loaded up a fresh Gem in my new 1924 (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84816). After the first pass (WTG) I had a few weepers - very unusual for a WTG pass. It didn't stop there, though. More weepers appeared after the second pass (XTG) on the right side of my face, so I switched the blade to the 1912. It seemed to do a better job than the 1924, but I still ended up with more weepers than I'm comfortable with on the left side of my neck. Even when I do get weepers, they usually go away after a cold water rinse. Occasionally it'll take a quick splash of after shave too, but today they took a little more work. Nothing horrible, but I haven't had a shave like this in a long time. So far, everything seems to be turning out fine. I don't have any irritation (surprisingly) and it's a really close shave. Time will tell if the irritation returns. I have the feeling that it was the blade.

I noticed that the blade sits differently in the 1924 than in the 1912. In the 1912 it's slightly sprung and the blade is pushed up against its stops. In the 1924 the blade lies flat (unsprung). I made sure that the blade in the 1924 was seated against its stops, so it was properly aligned. But I'm wondering if the sprung condition of the blade in the 1912 makes any difference.

~Jeff
disappointed, but not discouraged

Mikeyk
04-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Jeff, whenever I try a GEM blade in a new razor, I hand strop it for the first shave. As I believe was mentioned earlier, the first shave with a GEM Pella/Persona is oh-so-close, but sometimes too close. By the second or third shave, the blade calms down; this can be accelerated by a couple of strops on each side prior to loading the blade for the first shave. I personally highly encourage this when loading a Gem into a razor you've not used before with one.

spinyeel
04-17-2009, 01:09 PM
The 1924 is the s/e equivalent of an older Muhle-Pinsel R89.:wink:I find them a lot more aggressive than a 1912.:eek:

Shaving Galoot
04-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Jeff, whenever I try a GEM blade in a new razor, I hand strop it for the first shave. As I believe was mentioned earlier, the first shave with a GEM Pella/Persona is oh-so-close, but sometimes too close. By the second or third shave, the blade calms down; this can be accelerated by a couple of strops on each side prior to loading the blade for the first shave. I personally highly encourage this when loading a Gem into a razor you've not used before with one.

I'll hand strop the next fresh blade. I don't have much experience with these SE blades, but now that I think about it, my first shave with a Gem in my 1912 was a little rough too.

This morning's blade is being punished. I'm teaching it a lesson by using it to scrape damaged spar varnish off a prototype brush handle.

~Jeff

Shaving Galoot
04-17-2009, 02:55 PM
The 1924 is the s/e equivalent of an older Muhle-Pinsel R89.:wink:I find them a lot more aggressive than a 1912.:eek:

NOW you tell me.

~Jeff
who was careful this morning, but will be extra careful next time I grab that 1924

VR6ofpain
04-18-2009, 02:10 AM
I think I did about a month of 1912 a while back, with a few random DE or Sensor shaves thrown in here and their. The GEM 1912 shaves like magic. I sometimes get pissed after shaving with a DE, because I get irritation and a less then close shave. With the 1912, I seem to always get a great shave. The only downside is the shaves take longer, since I am being more careful. I can't fly through a SE shave like I can a DE shave. THat may be part of the problem!

Bushranger
04-18-2009, 04:01 AM
I'm also taking longer with the SE shave (1912 ER & Gem Blue Star). Problem area for me is the moustache area, hard to get septum/nostril area. I'm not a fan through there with the SE....but perservering and trying different angles.

pablo_h
04-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Is that the one where the cap flips forward to load the blade?
If so I have an ever-ready version of them that I might try out soon, an aggressive razor is better for me, my skin can take it 1-2 passes with one of them. Overall I prefer more aggressive razors, less passes means less chance of irritation and nicks for me for some reason. It's the third pass and touchups that cause problems for me. That's why I always used and aggressive DE razor with a feather, so I could get a good shave with just two passes and just a little touchup in troublesome areas.

The razor I have with a [edit: forward] flip top head is so shiney, I've never seen a razor so clean and all flat and smooth, it's like polished silver tableware.

MrGuy
04-18-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm also taking longer with the SE shave (1912 ER & Gem Blue Star). Problem area for me is the moustache area, hard to get septum/nostril area. I'm not a fan through there with the SE....but perservering and trying different angles.

My GEM shaves in that area start with a N-S pass, to get the hairs closest to the nose I start with the top of the head pretty much flat against my nostrils and kind of "roll" the blade down. Next is a kind of sideways pass from the outside in. I think there was a pic of an instruction sheet that showed that angle, but I can't seem to find it right now. Maybe someone can recall that post. A compass point reference would be NW-SE and vise versa. If I'm living on the edge that morning I'll finish with a S-N pass, but that almost always leads to some amount of blood. You'll learn what works best for your face, it just might take a few tries.

Bertilak
04-18-2009, 09:10 AM
If I'm living on the edge that morning I'll finish with a S-N pass, but that almost always leads to some amount of blood. You'll learn what works best for your face, it just might take a few tries.

I only recently shaved off my 'stache (a little over a week ago) and up until yesterday I always got a little blood in that area. The whiskers there are like little steel rods!

For some reason, last night's shave left me BBS in the 'stache area with no blood. Maybe the skin is toughening up there after 40 years (!) of being protected behind its little hedge. The other thing is I concentrated on two things last night:

Come at it slowly and in small areas from many angles before going directly ATG.
Super light touch, including a very light grip on the razor so as not to force anything.

P.S. Also a GEM shave.

MrGuy
04-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Come at it slowly and in small areas from many angles before going directly ATG.
Super light touch, including a very light grip on the razor so as not to force anything.

Good advice :thumbup1:

chainfire
04-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Just got some Gems from eBay as part of a bigger lot. I was thinking of keeping the Micromatic for display and trading/selling the other three (2 jr's and a g-bar I think?).

One the other hand, I'm just more into the DE shaving right now and don't need another ad getting me going.:smile:

With that in mind, my question is whether it's even worth keeping the Micromatic at all? I like the look of the box mainly, but I don't know if I'd ever use the razor itself (no blades). I'd hate to have it just sit on the shelf if someone out there can actually use it, but I don't even know how popular these are to be worth my time trying to sell/trade them.:confused:

If you guys have any advice, I'll bite.

http://i21.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/40/19/0169_1.JPG

MrGuy
04-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Just got some Gems from eBay as part of a bigger lot. I was thinking of keeping the Micromatic for display and trading/selling the other three (2 jr's and a g-bar I think?).

One the other hand, I'm just more into the DE shaving right now and don't need another ad getting me going.:smile:

With that in mind, my question is whether it's even worth keeping the Micromatic at all? I like the look of the box mainly, but I don't know if I'd ever use the razor itself (no blades). I'd hate to have it just sit on the shelf if someone out there can actually use it, but I don't even know how popular these are to be worth my time trying to sell/trade them.:confused:

If you guys have any advice, I'll bite.

http://i21.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/40/19/0169_1.JPG

I'm assuming that the pic are the razors in question. You have, from left to right, a Featherweight, two pat. 1912 GEMs, and the open comb Micromatic. The 1912's would likely sell quick on the BST, the Featherweight and Micromatic might take a little longer. I'd say give each style of razor a chance, shave a week with them and see if you like it. SE razor styles are very limited compared to DE's so this is potentially an inexpensive AD to have, relatively speaking:wink:. Why pass on a razor that might be the best one for you?

Bushranger
04-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Mr. Guy, I will try that North South pass as you describe....VERY carefully and slowly.

MrGuy
04-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Mr. Guy, I will try that North South pass as you describe....VERY carefully and slowly.

Good luck:thumbup1: and remember I can not be held responsible for any damage caused by my advise:lol:

pablo_h
04-19-2009, 07:45 AM
I couldn't tell any difference between the Gem and the Treet except that I only got 2 shaves out of the Treet because I forgot to rinse it in alcohol and the edge developed rust. But, I have very limited experience. I had three shaves on the Gem and 2 on the Treet.

More testing!

~Jeff

Yeah, I just used the treet for the second time then. Not a patch on what it was the first time. There was no visible rust (I only wiped it down and dried it, I didn't use alcohol on it either though). But it shaved like a 3 shave old blade anyway.
I got a decent shave out of it, but it wasn't as sharp, it took a lot of effort to cut through my beard. But no weepers or cuts either this time.

It could have been it oxidised after storing it, or it could be that it loses it's edge during the first shave even.
I've got 9 more from the sample pack I bought, so I'll try to store them in a mason jar with alcohol next time

Bushranger
04-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Good luck:thumbup1: and remember I can not be held responsible for any damage caused by my advise:lol:

Haha. No worries :biggrin:

chainfire
04-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the info and advise.:smile: I think I may just try to trade the one 1912 away you had pm'd about and hang onto the others after all... why not? They are actually attractive razors and what can it hurt picking up some blades.

I'm assuming that the pic are the razors in question. You have, from left to right, a Featherweight, two pat. 1912 GEMs, and the open comb Micromatic. The 1912's would likely sell quick on the BST, the Featherweight and Micromatic might take a little longer. I'd say give each style of razor a chance, shave a week with them and see if you like it. SE razor styles are very limited compared to DE's so this is potentially an inexpensive AD to have, relatively speaking:wink:. Why pass on a razor that might be the best one for you?

MrGuy
04-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I just used the treet for the second time then. Not a patch on what it was the first time. There was no visible rust (I only wiped it down and dried it, I didn't use alcohol on it either though). But it shaved like a 3 shave old blade anyway.
I got a decent shave out of it, but it wasn't as sharp, it took a lot of effort to cut through my beard. But no weepers or cuts either this time.

It could have been it oxidised after storing it, or it could be that it loses it's edge during the first shave even.
I've got 9 more from the sample pack I bought, so I'll try to store them in a mason jar with alcohol next time

Hey Pablo,
I can't seem to remember, have you tried hand stropping the blade before and after your shave? By my limited metallurgy knowledge, a Treet blade would be more "receptive" to this procedure than a stainless blade. I've used the method Dave suggests in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc&feature=channel_page) with some success on both the Treet blades and PAL blades. They do seem to give a few more shaves when hand stropped compared to just drying.

MrGuy
04-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the info and advise.:smile: I think I may just try to trade the one 1912 away you had pm'd about and hang onto the others after all... why not? They are actually attractive razors and what can it hurt picking up some blades.

YES! Give those SE's a chance! Don't forget to checkout this thread (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81951&highlight=micromatic+tips) for a little advise. It should have enough info to get you started, and hopefully keep you out of the emergency room:wink: I wrote it up with the Micromatic in mind, but the same ideas apply to all the GEM razors.

guru
04-19-2009, 09:04 AM
I wanted to work with you in your Week of 1912, but a new, shiny Fatboy interupted. I have, however, used my SE Gems quite a bit. I have a brass Micromatic Clog-Pruf, a nickel 1912 with the ornate handle, and a brass Junior. With a good blade these little str8's on a stick are fine shavers. My wife thinks they look like dangerous contraptions. She may be right, but with the right technique and a little concentration they are far from dangerous. And they deserve a little respect. Even if their blades are over 3 times what they are for my Personna red packs.

MrGuy
04-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I wanted to work with you in your Week of 1912, but a new, shiny Fatboy interupted. I have, however, used my SE Gems quite a bit. I have a brass Micromatic Clog-Pruf, a nickel 1912 with the ornate handle, and a brass Junior. With a good blade these little str8's on a stick are fine shavers. My wife thinks they look like dangerous contraptions. She may be right, but with the right technique and a little concentration they are far from dangerous. And they deserve a little respect. Even if their blades are over 3 times what they are for my Personna red packs.

It's not too late to start your own week!:wink: Pick one GEM and stick to it for 7 shaves. As far as blade prices, I think I get a few more shaves from just about any SE blade compared to just about any DE blade so that helps a little. After all, I (apparently) didn't get into traditional wetshaving to save money:lol:

pablo_h
04-19-2009, 09:33 AM
YES! Give those SE's a chance! Don't forget to checkout this thread (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81951&highlight=micromatic+tips) for a little advise. It should have enough info to get you started, and hopefully keep you out of the emergency room:wink: I wrote it up with the Micromatic in mind, but the same ideas apply to all the GEM razors.
I have always loved that thread - A, 2, pi :lol:

MrGuy
04-19-2009, 08:27 PM
I have always loved that thread - A, 2, pi :lol:

Thanks Pablo! I had fun writing it, it sure is nice to hear people had fun reading it.

spinyeel
04-20-2009, 03:22 AM
That thread was great fun.:biggrin:Micromatics are a hall of fame shaver for sure.:wink:The sheer numbers sold were amazing,for good reason.I love the suckers.:biggrin::biggrin:

Bushranger
04-20-2009, 03:45 AM
then i hope to find one

spinyeel
04-20-2009, 05:07 AM
P.M. me. You might be in luck.:wink::biggrin:

Bushranger
04-20-2009, 08:47 AM
so you're that voice on my left shoulder....

Shaving Galoot
04-22-2009, 10:02 AM
I've had some new arrivals in the mailbox lately and decided to give my pushbutton Micromatic a try - well two tries so far. It can be seen here (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85667). I don't consider it to be especially pretty. In fact, I find the plastic to be pretty ugly. Razors should be 100% metal.

Back to the shave. I put a fresh, hand stropped Gem blade in it yesterday and it delivered an excellent shave. One of the closest I've had (except for a couple small patches on my neck that I must have missed when doing my touch-ups). Plus, it was very comfortable. I think I had a couple small weepers that cleared up with a cold water rinse. But no burn or irritation whatsoever.

This morning was day 2 on the same razor/blade. Again, a very nice shave. Focusing on blade angle and a light touch I only developed 1 weeper that quickly cleared up with the cold water rinse. I'm pretty sure that was due to carelessness. I think I was just enjoying the shave too much and not really paying attention.

Now I'm wondering if I'm getting better DE shaves because my technique is improving or because of the equipment change. My pushbutton has a safety bar and the others (1912 and 1924) are open comb. I'll finish out this blade and then try the others to see. That is, if I can resist the other new arrivals (that Schick Eversharp injector is pretty tempting).

SE shaving is worth the try. I find that it's not necessarily more aggressive than typical DE razors, because I find that they can be very comfortable. But SE razors seem to be more efficient in terms of beard reduction. Not only do I get very close shaves, but these SE razors seem to reduce the beard more each pass than my DE razors.

~Jeff
resurrecting the thread

Bertilak
04-22-2009, 10:06 AM
SE shaving is worth the try. I find that it's not necessarily more aggressive than typical DE razors, because I find that they can be very comfortable. But SE razors seem to be more efficient in terms of beard reduction. Not only do I get very close shaves, but these SE razors seem to reduce the beard more each pass than my DE razors.

Makes one appreciate just how good Gillette's marketing arm was!

Shaving Galoot
04-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Makes one appreciate just how good Gillette's marketing arm was!

...and still is.

~Jeff

guru
04-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Like I said before, I have a few SE's, one a Micromatic, the others 1912's. I was rudely interupted last week in my "Week..." but got back on track. I put fresh precious Gems in each machine so at least I started from there. I've only 3 shaves on this round, but 3 or 4 just before I was interupted by a shiny thing in my mailbox. So in the last 10 days I've got a week in. I used the ornate handled 1912, with the MicroMatic in there once. What I'm struck with first is the archaic design. They are funtional, and the design follows. They are, as my wife said, dangerous looking contraptions. I followed the same routine each day, a shower and Tabers. I prefer to shave every other day, if I can, because the beard is better to shave and I feel like I get a closer shave. I love the sound, too. The last 3 days of 1912 were consecutive. I got great 3 pass shaves, a couple BBS, with no blood at all, and no irritation. I don't use the commonly referred to flat to the face technique I see talked about, but and angle, not unlike the angle of a str8. I find these easy shavers, taking into account my concentration at having basically a str8 on a stick. Not to say that they can't bite if treated poorly. But with the proper respect they are still good shavers and if you're curious, they are still cheap, if blades are not so much. This left out my military 1912 Junior with the black bakelite handle. I have it ready to go today. So maybe I'll continue this.

D.Irving79
04-23-2009, 02:39 PM
who needs flat on the face?

guru
04-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Finally. Instructions.

D.Irving79
04-23-2009, 03:51 PM
also, i dont know if ive posted this in this thread already, but this was where it all began: the 1912 gem deluxe.

MrGuy
04-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Great pics and info as always, Dave!:thumbup1: It seems the idea that GEMs must be held flat on the face prevents a lot of guys from getting the best out of their razors.

Guru, it's nice that you're back on the SE track. Didn't Meatloaf sing 7 out of 10 ain't bad?:lol:

Jeff, hope the new "weapons" treat you well!:wink:

Shaving Galoot
04-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Jeff, hope the new "weapons" treat you well!:wink:

The temptation was just too much to resist. Last night I loaded up the G-bar with a Gem blade that had 2-3 shaves on it. It worked great! I'm still impressed at how all of these SE razors seem to be better at beard reduction, yet more comfortable than my DE razors. So far I've tried the 1912, 1924, pushbutton Gem, Gem G-bar, and even the Schick injector. I guess it's the thicker blades or maybe they can attack from a lower angle. Whatever it is, it's cool. They do deserve respect, though, as I've had some rough shaves while honing my technique. But once you get it down, it's just as easy as DE razors.

I have a Schick injector loaded up to try tomorrow, but next week I'll give that Micromatic some attention. I'm interested to see how the open comb on it compares to the G-bar.

Thanks again!

~Jeff

ambrose
04-24-2009, 02:15 AM
This thread is turning from a week of 1912 gem to more of a "my gem experience". Its been over 2.5 weeks lol, I think its really great to hear the different experiences though. :cool:

spinyeel
04-24-2009, 04:02 AM
Regular 1912 users realise all too well,what an under-appreciated tool they are wielding.:rolleyes::rolleyes:All the Gem's that I have used are great shavers,but the 1912 along with the Micromatic is imho one of the best shaving devices ever produced,without a doubt.:wink::smile: