PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a styptic pencil at CVS or Rite Aid?

Bradley
04-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking I should buy a styptic pencil in case I get a nick or cut. I was in a hurry this morning so I went to a CVS and, without looking for it myself, asked the store clerk where styptic pencils would be in. Of course she had no idea what I was talking about.

Are they usually with shaving supplies at the pharmacy or near the first-aid section?

Thanks for the input.

mmack66
04-04-2009, 09:38 AM
same section with all the razors and shaving stuff. usually on the bottom shelf. if you have a walmart close by, they can be had there for a dollar or so.

jrcrow79
04-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Baby Powder could be the cheaper "alternative" though :thumbup1:

mmack66
04-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Baby Powder could be the cheaper "alternative" though :thumbup1:

To stop bleeding?

Walter Sobchak
04-04-2009, 09:59 AM
I was at a CVS last night. They had the styptic pencils on the second shelf up right above the Aqua Velva. They were a bit pricey, I thought, at $4.50 or so. They were the big, fat sidewalk chalk looking kind.

Greyfox
04-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Clubman pencil at Walmart's by shaving supplies. I paid $.99.:smile:

richmondesi
04-04-2009, 10:24 AM

+1 All day long! I saw them in the shaving section at CVS and Walgreens as well

jleeg
04-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Alum blocks are available from many sources, Art of Shaving, Em's Place and others. Expect to spend about 9 or 10 bucks for a block that'll last a liftime or until you drop it a few times on a hard floor. You can use the block to stop bleeding, or as I do, to rub over your face post shave to close pores. I then rinse and go to a balm or aftershave.
Another benefit of the block is that it stings a little if you've been harsh on an area. In that sense it provides great feedback on your shave technique.

Jim

TheGrooveking
04-04-2009, 01:08 PM

Just grabbed 3 at Walmart for $0.94 each, lowest price I've found.

dpm802
04-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking I should buy a styptic pencil in case I get a nick or cut. I was in a hurry this morning so I went to a CVS and, without looking for it myself, asked the store clerk where styptic pencils would be in.

+1, and Congrats on thinking ahead. Styptic pencils are one of those little details that a lot of shavers overlook in their quest to find the perfect set-up. IMHO, No shave den should be without one.

While you're in the process of setting up, get yourself one of those flip-around mirrors with 1x/3x magnification. They are incredibly useful, especially the magnified side if you like to shave without prescription lenses on.

Of course she had no idea what I was talking about.
Get used to that blank stare. You'll run into that a lot as you shop for wet-shaving supplies in brick-n-mortar stores.

Dubbya
04-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking I should buy a styptic pencil in case I get a nick or cut. I was in a hurry this morning so I went to a CVS and, without looking for it myself, asked the store clerk where styptic pencils would be in. Of course she had no idea what I was talking about.

Are they usually with shaving supplies at the pharmacy or near the first-aid section?

Thanks for the input.

Shaving section. If you travel, some outdoors stores sell styptic(NOT caustic) matches. Same stuff, only smaller sized and on a flushable paper match stick.

uberculture
04-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Shaving section. If you travel, some outdoors stores sell styptic(NOT caustic) matches. Same stuff, only smaller sized and on a flushable paper match stick.

Styptic matches? The pyro in me wants to play with my pencil now...

David in Boston
04-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Alum blocks are available from many sources... You can use the block to stop bleeding, or as I do, to rub over your face post shave to close pores...Another benefit of the block is that it stings a little if you've been harsh on an area. In that sense it provides great feedback on your shave technique.

Jim

+1 on the Alum block.

I'll never go back to using a styptic pencil again.

David

Bradley
04-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the help everyone; you guys are great. I found the styptic pencil (buried on the last shelf in the shaving section).

Guess how much I paid for a Clubman styptic pencil? $4.89. There's no Wal-Mart where I live, so I had to settle for CVS.

Thanks again for the help.
Bradley

waterbear
04-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the help everyone; you guys are great. I found the styptic pencil (buried on the last shelf in the shaving section).

Guess how much I paid for a Clubman styptic pencil? $4.89. There's no Wal-Mart where I live, so I had to settle for CVS.

Thanks again for the help.
Bradley

You could have gotten an alum block in a plastic case from Westcoast shaving for $8! (and picked up a blade sampler and some shave soaps or creams while you were at it!)

MAK
04-04-2009, 06:24 PM

Check it at my Walmart too.

mmack66
04-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Check it at my Walmart too.

You want me to check it? :biggrin:

Rudy Vey
04-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Crap, I paid $3.09 today at Walgreens!!

newmikemac
04-04-2009, 09:08 PM
There were only a few there to begin with. I may follow the advice on alum (more stuff to accumulate)

rav
04-04-2009, 10:46 PM

Why three?

I think that I've had the same styptic for years.

Is the general thought thought that it should be discarded after a while?

GMen
04-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Why three?

I think that I've had the same styptic for years.

Is the general thought thought that it should be discarded after a while?

+1 at the rate I use mine, I'll have it for years. I would like to know if the go 'bad' over time.

waterbear
04-05-2009, 10:00 AM
+1 at the rate I use mine, I'll have it for years. I would like to know if the go 'bad' over time.

No, they are good as long as they can be wet and applied. just shake them off and let them dry after rinsing the blood off them, never share them (does that even need to be said?), and let them dry before putting them away I keep mine in an old plastic pill bottle (top off so it can dry) and it's probably about 10 years old now. (It's moved with me TWICE!)

strat1117
04-05-2009, 10:11 AM

That should last you a lifetime! :thumbup:

Crap, I paid $3.09 today at Walgreens!!

Don't jump out the window just yet. There are 2 different sizes. I suspect the one for $0.99 is the substantially smaller "travel" size (like a thin golf pencil). You probably got the full size one (like a thick piece of chalk).

Enjoy!

:badger: