04-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Show off your Speakeasy Scores Here!

letterk
04-01-2009, 10:00 AM
4 Glencairn Whisky glasses

boboakalfb
04-01-2009, 10:04 AM

Nice score, John. What might you be using for their maiden voyage?

edit: BMH I see. What did you think?

letterk
04-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Nice score, John. What might you be using for their maiden voyage?

edit: BMH I see. What did you think?

Very impressed. I was surprised at the level at which the glasses affected the taste. :thumbup1:

thirdeye
04-01-2009, 10:22 AM

Nice...where are they, It says "Show off your scores"...:wink:

letterk
04-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Nice...where are they, It says "Show off your scores"...:wink:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1096762&postcount=2

TimmyBoston
04-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Very impressed. I was surprised at the level at which the glasses affected the taste. :thumbup1:

Let the whisky sit for a while and keep swirling it. Take plenty of time to nose the whisky. Those glasses very well could be the best nosing glasses ever made.

letterk
04-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Let the whisky sit for a while and keep swirling it. Take plenty of time to nose the whisky. Those glasses very well could be the best nosing glasses ever made.

Yeah, I did quite a bit of that last night. It's very strange how the alcohol smell disappears and you're left with the wonderful aromas of the whisky.

Austin
04-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Nice girlie glasses John! :thumbup1:

letterk
04-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Nice girlie glasses John! :thumbup1:

Thanks. Want to come over for a drink?

Austin
04-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks. Want to come over for a drink?

Sure if you have a frosty manly mug for my Old Milwaukee. :biggrin:

letterk
04-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Sure if you have a frosty manly mug for my Old Milwaukee. :biggrin:

Aren't you required to drink that out of the can?

boboakalfb
04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
What's Old Milwaukee? :biggrin:

TimmyBoston
04-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Aren't you required to drink that out of the can?

No, that's PBR. :biggrin:

TimmyBoston
04-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I did quite a bit of that last night. It's very strange how the alcohol smell disappears and you're left with the wonderful aromas of the whisky.

People that only drink out of a snifter don't realize what they are missing.

TimmyBoston
04-01-2009, 11:16 PM
John, you're a very bad influence. I just poured a dram of Ardbeg Uigeadail into my Glencairn Whisky glass. :biggrin:

letterk
04-01-2009, 11:35 PM

No kidding. I'm instantly hooked. Now I need to get a Michael Jackson whisky glass. Ahhh...WGAD (Whisky Glass Acquisition Disorder)

John, you're a very bad influence. I just poured a dram of Ardbeg Uigeadail into my Glencairn Whisky glass. :biggrin:

:biggrin: I think I'm going to try the George Dickel #12 in it tonight.

TimmyBoston
04-01-2009, 11:50 PM
No kidding. I'm instantly hooked. Now I need to get a Michael Jackson whisky glass. Ahhh...WGAD (Whisky Glass Acquisition Disorder)

If find somewhere that carries them, let me know. I broke mine a while back and have been looking for replacements.

castlecraver
04-02-2009, 09:06 AM

Ooh.. nice score. Those look rather nice. :thumbup1:

Very impressed. I was surprised at the level at which the glasses affected the taste.

Hrm. You don't say? :001_huh:

Uh oh... I'm feeling a slight nagging discomfort in my back right pocket... right about where my wallet is...

Ack. Must. Resist...
Be strong, Pat. They can't really be that great. We're in a :censored: recession anyway.

Berhrtejafhsealrjekljcvkelrjekljckleajrekjcaereacj kerhecejk
larlalalalalalalalalalalalalaICANTHEARYOUUUUUUUUUU

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

FINE. THATS IT. I'M ORDERING A SET...

:censored:

HAPPY NOW?!?!?!?

:a46:

I hope you're proud of yourselves.

Have I ever told you how you really must try a bottle of Old Raj? :lol:

Jac
04-02-2009, 10:17 AM

That's uh... really showin' 'em, Pat. :lol:

letterk
04-02-2009, 12:57 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

HAPPY NOW?!?!?!?

:a46:

I hope you're proud of yourselves.

Have I ever told you how you really must try a bottle of Old Raj? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

It's a good thing I don't like gin.

DarkAudit
04-02-2009, 05:48 PM
This looks like the place, I guess.

As best as I've found out, this is a Sheaffer Admiral. Got it for $15 at a second-hand shop. (I'm told that is highly happy-dance worthy of a price.)

castlecraver
04-03-2009, 06:30 PM
http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=16663

Most frustratingly, I've been all over the city of Cleveland and several outlying suburbs looking for a higher-end Laphroaig for our SOTM (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82521), but couldn't find a single bottle. So I picked up another bottle of the 10 -- I'm fairly familiar with it, so its not super exciting, but it'll certainly allow me my fair share of peat whilst permitting me to save my (over twice as expensive) bottle of Lagavulin 16.

However, I've been looking for a bottle of the Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel for quite some time, and the "last ditch" boozery I drove to after work happened to have it. So I splurged, even having purchased a Cragganmore recently. I'm glad I did. The date makes this indulgence especially meaningful, and suffice it to say that I'll be sipping from it slowly and reflecting on it for years to come. :sleep:

DarkAudit
04-04-2009, 11:07 AM
The return of a trade on another forum. A restored Esterbrook J with 2668 nib installed and an Osmiroid medium italic nib on the side.

My half of the deal were two Slim Adjustables, '66 and '67.

jlander
04-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Today's Acquisitions

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=16679

DarkAudit
04-04-2009, 05:08 PM
A little extra cash came my way, so I headed over to the Bruceton Antique Mall.

Found this Estie SJ for $16. 9128 (extra fine flexible) nib. The insides are more than likely toast. One should not hear a crunching noise when starting to work the lever. :eek:

So it's got to go into the shop. If nothing else, I've got an extra nib for the other Estie I got today.

RUNYYFan
04-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Today, the American Red Cross in conjunction with the New York Rangers held a Blood Drive up in Seacaucus, NJ. As a gift for giving a pint of blood, each person was given a jersey for free. Here's mine:

http://www.marckollarphotography.com/photos/505396747_rv5t2-M.jpg

Okay, okay. The Rangers are choking down the stretch, but I'll still wear this. :smile:

DarkAudit
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Today, the American Red Cross in conjunction with the New York Rangers held a Blood Drive up in Seacaucus, NJ. As a gift for giving a pint of blood, each person was given a jersey for free. Here's mine:

http://www.marckollarphotography.com/photos/505396747_rv5t2-M.jpg

Okay, okay. The Rangers are choking down the stretch, but I'll still wear this. :smile:

You still overpaid.

LET'S GO PENS! :wink:

Scotto
04-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I have been a scotch drinker most of my life, but I am starting to appreciate bourbon more lately. I picked up a bottle of Knob Creek and a bottle of Buffalo Trace yesterday.

You guys are killing me on the whiskey glasses.... Yet another thing to buy.

BigRich
04-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I almost forgot, I picked up a bottle of Springbank 10 Year Old over the weekend.

letterk
04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
You guys are killing me on the whiskey glasses.... Yet another thing to buy.

Completely worth it.

Now if I could find some place that would actually sell me a Michael Jackson Whiskey Connoisseur Glass...

TimmyBoston
04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Completely worth it.

Now if I could find some place that would actually sell me a Michael Jackson Whiskey Connoisseur Glass...

John's right, they honestly make a huge difference. Scotto, if you want a bourbon glass, check out the Riedel Vinum Cognac Hennessy Glass. It's only around $15 and is the best bourbon glass I've found thus far.

John, if you find the Michael Jackson glass will you send me a PM?

Thanks!

letterk
04-08-2009, 03:17 PM
John's right, they honestly make a huge difference. Scotto, if you want a bourbon glass, check out the Riedel Vinum Cognac Hennessy Glass. It's only around $15 and is the best bourbon glass I've found thus far.

John, if you find the Michael Jackson glass will you send me a PM?

Thanks!

You know I will. I've been searching high and low and WILL find them.

boboakalfb
04-08-2009, 03:19 PM
You can just let me know and I'll tell Tim. :biggrin:

TimmyBoston
04-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Translation: Buy them all and sell Tim a couple at a drastically inflated price. :biggrin:

letterk
04-08-2009, 03:35 PM

Translation: Buy them all and sell Tim a couple at a drastically inflated price. :biggrin:

Hmm...

boboakalfb
04-08-2009, 03:38 PM

Well I was just going to pick one up for ya....jeeeeez.

letterk
04-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Well I was just going to pick one up for ya....jeeeeez.

Even better. You pick them all up for me, and then I resell a couple at huge markup to Tim. Work for you?

boboakalfb
04-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Even better. You pick them all up for me, and then I resell a couple at huge markup to Tim. Work for you?

Is that on top of your huge markup. :biggrin:

I am curious how different they will be to my Glenmorangie set I picked up a while ago. Here is a pic...

http://www.northsydneycellars.com/images/PRODUCT/large/Glenmorangie_10YO_Malt_2_Glass_Gift_Box.jpg

Here is the MJ one...
http://www.thijsjah.nl/hoeksteen/eng/afbeeldingen/website2.jpg
The only thing missing is the pamphlet where MJ tells me how to enjoy in 4 steps....hmmmm....I think they are pretty similiar.

letterk
04-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Is that on top of your huge markup. :biggrin:

I am curious how different they will be to my Glenmorangie set I picked up a while ago. Here is a pic...

They do look very similar. Where did you get the set? How much?

boboakalfb
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
They do look very similar. Where did you get the set? How much?

I actually got the set at a Bevmo during the 07 Holidays. They had a set with the 10 year old offering but the manager allowed me to swap it with a Quinta Ruban bottle (The Port Wood ). Bottom line, the glasses were free because they charged me for the bottle. That was the only set I saw like that around, everyone else had sets with a rounded old fashioned type of tumbler.

Ardbeg sells a similiar glass here (https://www.ardbeg.com/shop.asp?Cat=17). The MJ glass might have a bit more Tulip shape on the lip like the Reidel SM Glass.

jlander
04-08-2009, 08:58 PM

I MAY have found some. Waiting to hear from the merchant. :001_cool:

letterk
04-08-2009, 09:40 PM

Ha! So am I! We should compare notes. :biggrin:

TimmyBoston
04-08-2009, 10:59 PM
http://i17.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/3c/aa/3bcc_1.JPG

Bob, if these are the kind of glasses you are talking about they will have a very different taste than the MJ glasses because of the flare at the rim, but regardless this type is a great glass, especially a great nosing glass.

TimmyBoston
04-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Got my Tasman Salt back from STR today.

He is a member at many of the knife forums and is licensed by Emerson to add the wave feature.

I'm so happy with this knife the way it is now. It's great for both self defense and utility.

letterk
04-09-2009, 02:58 PM

Ha! So am I! We should compare notes. :biggrin:

Got a response! Nothing to say yet, but at least I have a live person helping me.

Also, finally picked up my bottle of Van Winkle 12yr Lot B and the Sazerac 6yr.

boboakalfb
04-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Got a response! Nothing to say yet, but at least I have a live person helping me.

:cool2:

jlander
04-09-2009, 05:49 PM

Also, finally picked up my bottle of Van Winkle 12yr Lot B and the Sazerac 6yr.

Nothing for me ...yet. :huh:

I think you will really like the Sazerac. :thumbup:

Haven't tried the Van Winkle.

letterk
04-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Nothing for me ...yet. :huh:

I think you will really like the Sazerac. :thumbup:

Haven't tried the Van Winkle.

Well, I don't have any purchasing info yet, but the lead is live.

I'll be having my first Sazerac/Punt E Mes Manhattan tonight. The Russell's Reserve bottle is dry.

Come on over and I'll pour you some Van Winkle. I have 4 Glencairn glasses.

cybrok
04-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Got my Tasman Salt back from STR today.

STR Rocks. I once had a Camillus Cuda Maxx pimped by him.

Today I got myself a nice Black Bush...

The Whiskey made by Bushmills, what were you thinking about?

Also a 5 pack of Montecristo #3, already in the humidor.

castlecraver
04-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Sixer of Bell's Oberon and received my certificate for my 1x1ft parcel of land on Islay from Laphroaig (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82521)!

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=16836

jlander
04-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Today's score. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=16867

Devil Doc
04-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Aberlour 1969, 30yr. Bottle #468 out of 600, at the issue price. Eat your hearts out.

Doc.

Not A Nice Person
04-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Hootch this month:

Laphroiag 15
Willet Pot Still Reserve Straight Kentucky Bourbon (single barrel)
Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Sonoma-Cutrer Finish
BTAC William Larue Weller Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (uncut/unfiltered, 125.3 proof)

. . . and of course the usual Woodford Reserve and JWB. :biggrin:

Cigars:

Bolivar Belicoso Finos, box split (CC)
Jose L. Piedra Brevas, 5X5 pack (CC)
Esencia Corona Gorda, box
San Cristobal Fabuloso, box
Illusione ECCJ, 2 boxes

I've been a wee bit self-indulgent with my tax refund . . . first time homebuyer's tax credit roxor!

NANP™

ctt1wbw
04-18-2009, 04:22 PM
I just got another pair of Birkentstocks. Third pair in about 12 years. I love these things.

And yes, I'm drinking some Starbucks right now. Stereotypical of a Bleeding Heart Liberal (tm)??? NOT! I'm conservative, but dammit if these Birkies aren't the most comfy pairs of footwear, next to my Justin Lizardskin boots. :biggrin:

johnniegold
04-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Sixer of Bell's Oberon and received my certificate for my 1x1ft parcel of land on Islay from Laphroaig (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82521)!

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=16836

Septic or sewer. :wink:

castlecraver
04-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Septic or sewer. :wink:

A guy from New Jersey has something to say about the desirability of my land? :lol:

Bushranger
04-18-2009, 10:32 PM
touche. welcome to the neighbourhood!

TimmyBoston
04-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Last night, too much Old Grand-Dad 114. :redface:

180gVinyl
04-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Frapin VSOP Grande Champagne cognac

cybrok
04-20-2009, 09:46 AM
I just purchased 2 Fujiwara Japanese knives... but none of them are for me :(

RUNYYFan
04-21-2009, 07:47 PM
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs032.snc1/3231_786388324419_8840355_45456724_5269190_n.jpg

A nice box of 10 Oliva Serie O Double Toro Maduro Broadleaf. :thumbup1:

drunkentester
04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
I was lucky enough to pick up a bottle of Ardbeg SuperNova today! Only 600 bottles made it across the pond!

-Dennis

TimmyBoston
04-23-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm jealous!

How is it?

castlecraver
04-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Where do you folks get these rare bottlings? I feel outta the loop :frown:

drunkentester
04-23-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm lucky enough to live close to all 3 Ardbeg designated "outposts" retailers in CA (strangely enough, they're all in the SF bay area) that was able to carry this committee bottling.

Unfortunately, I have a horrible head-cold right now. I popped open up bottle of Laphroaig just to test my nose, and I literally smelled nothing. I think I'm going have to wait until this cold completely clears up before I crack this beauty open.

So for now...it's just sitting there taunting me.

If anyone else is interested in one, you may want to check to see if a US "outpost" retailer still has any bottles left. I know the one I went to only had 6 bottles total.

http://www.mhusa.com/ardbeg/

--Dennis

letterk
04-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Where do you folks get these rare bottlings? I feel outta the loop :frown:

You need to move to California.

castlecraver
04-23-2009, 08:03 PM

I'm not sure how Cali would work out for me, but I'm probably less than a year out from finishing up here, and I'd be lying if I said the availability of high-end whiskys not subject to the kind of state controls we have here in Ohio isn't a serious consideration for where my next career move takes me. :cool:

letterk
04-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure how Cali would work out for me, but I'm probably less than a year out from finishing up here, and I'd be lying if I said the availability of high-end whiskys not subject to the kind of state controls we have here in Ohio isn't a serious consideration for where my next career move takes me. :cool:

Come out and visit. I'll take you to High Time Wines. You'll immediately search out the closest available apartment/house for rent/sale.

Austin
04-24-2009, 03:21 PM

California sounds like the place to be. :rolleyes:

letterk
04-24-2009, 05:10 PM
California sounds like the place to be. :rolleyes:

Eh. I'm moving to Texas if you secede.

Not A Nice Person
04-25-2009, 09:09 PM
This:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vg6tWbloL._SS400_.jpg

I've been without a block for my good knives for a long time. This one, you can just stick them in anywhere and it holds them in place. Seriously cool stuff.

NANP™

Dubbya
04-25-2009, 09:16 PM
This:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vg6tWbloL._SS400_.jpg

I've been without a block for my good knives for a long time. This one, you can just stick them in anywhere and it holds them in place. Seriously cool stuff.

NANP™

Is that the one with the rubber rods? I have one of those and it is great. It's threatening to give me cause to take the magnet strips down.:w00t:

Not A Nice Person
04-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Yep, that's it. Hard plastic, actually, I think. I saw one at Bloodbath & Beyond and when I went back for it, it was gone. Had to go looking online.

NANP™

Fnord5
04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
I just picked up a fountain pen.

I have only ever had one previous, a Pilot disposable(before the varsity)

This one is not much better, but is refillable.

A Platinum Preppy pen from Japan. It only cost me $5, and writes very well considering.

I am a lefty, so I want to test the waters before I get anything substantial.
The one on the top.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/438095094_e9ef8e77f4_o.jpg

Fnord5
04-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I was lucky enough to pick up a bottle of Ardbeg SuperNova today! Only 600 bottles made it across the pond!

-Dennis

How much for a 1oz or 2 oz decant?:w00t:

TimmyBoston
04-30-2009, 02:52 AM
How much for a 1oz or 2 oz decant?:w00t:

That's the best idea I've heard in a long time. :lol:

castlecraver
04-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Asus EeePC 900, linux version, black.

(CD included for size comparison -- no optical drive onboard)

Bought it off Woot a couple weeks ago (seems like), and although its a refurb it feels brand new and had everything packed all retail-style in the box. Actually got it yesterday -- have been trying different Ubuntu-based distros and finally settled on vanilla Hardy with some of the easy-peasy packages. I'm lovin' it -- crazy how small this lil' sucker is. Gonna be a fun little toy. :biggrin: