PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Razor?

TraderJoe
09-08-2006, 06:07 AM
I saw an advertisement on CNBC this A.M. (it came on twice in a 15 minute-period acutally) for the "Infinity Razor." It was touted as the last razor you'd ever need to buy (although it sure looked like a disposable to me). They have a satisfaction guarantee, to the extent that if you weren't happy with it, they'd buy you your favorite "cartridge razor" as replacement.

Their website (now up and running):

www.theinfinityrazor.com (http://www.theinfinityrazor.com)

I smell snake oil :spockflam

Anybody else seen/heard of this?

moses
09-08-2006, 07:58 AM
I know I know!!!! It is clearly going to be a straight :wink:

Bad form, running ads without the website up yet....

boboakalfb
09-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Maybe if I weren't satisfied then I could convince them to buy me a Vision..it takes DE cartridges of course...

Dinder1
09-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Maybe if I weren't satisfied then I could convince them to buy me a Vision..it takes DE cartridges of course...
They can make mine a E&J DE....oh and why not throw in a nice stand as well.:biggrin:
Cheers, DJ.

LX_Emergency
09-14-2006, 07:18 AM
I know I know!!!! It is clearly going to be a straight :wink:

Bad form, running ads without the website up yet....
bad form indeed

FriscoSoxFan
09-20-2006, 01:53 PM
This epitomizes the infomercial business model.

$14.99. 30 days guarantee. You have to pay return shipping.

They will get 0.5% returns on which they will probably lose a few bucks. The rest of the people will junk the thing after a week or three and deem it too much effort to return it. Thier unit cost is probably 40-75 cents or so.

Suzuki
09-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Thier unit cost is probably 40-75 cents or so.

At most - the deal also includes 6 tubes of aromatherapy shave gel - bet the three T's are quaking at the thought of this stuff coming to market!

LX_Emergency
09-22-2006, 02:01 AM
at least their website is up and running now.....I'm tempted.....$15 isn't much for 6 tubes of shave gel (big grin)

TraderJoe
09-22-2006, 09:59 AM
I don't see how comparing it to a Gin 5 knife is worthwhile....knives need to be sharpened!

mparker762
09-22-2006, 12:44 PM
At most - the deal also includes 6 tubes of aromatherapy shave gel - bet the three T's are quaking at the thought of this stuff coming to market!

Note that they don't tell you how big the tubes are...

JMT
09-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Is Gin 5 a knock off of the original Ginsu Knife, or is this the 21st century name for ginsu?

DemocritusJr
09-22-2006, 07:23 PM
According to one of the very few Internet hits that came up on a search of "Gin 5," it's a Hitachi-owned steel that was developped for surgical instruments. There's a company (TigerSharp) that makes knives of the stuff. Knives, it's interesting to point out, that have replacable blades that can be swapped out when the old one dulls too much. The "revolutionary new razor guys" claim they took Ginsu technology and turned it into a shaver, but the word 'Ginsu' was made up by a now-deceased ad-man who was struggling to find a way to pitch knives being manufactured in Ohio.

Too bad the Infinity wasn't out in time for the B&B anniversary contest. It would have been fun to see the posts that resulted from those lucky winners.

TraderJoe
09-22-2006, 07:37 PM
I think I'll point them to this website, and offer my services as a "tester" for their razor.

Harkonnendog
09-22-2006, 07:46 PM
I wonder if there is a material that COULD keep it's sharpness forever if it was just used for shaving. Some kind of ceramic or carbide or... hey, a blade with an edge made of manufactured diamond, whatever. I mean if you had a million dollars to make just one blade, is it possible?

TraderJoe
09-22-2006, 07:48 PM
I wonder if there is a material that COULD keep it's sharpness forever if it was just used for shaving. Some kind of ceramic or carbide or... hey, a blade with an edge made of manufactured diamond, whatever. I mean if you had a million dollars to make just one blade, is it possible?

Hmmm...I have seen "cutters" made for clipping newspaper/magazine articles and I recall these were made of porcelain.

salsadj
09-22-2006, 08:51 PM
I found a quote (http://kyoceraadvancedceramics.com/Products/kitchen_faq.htm#q16) from some makers of ceramic cutlery and apparently their engineers were used as guinea pigs for shaving prototypes.

Argus
09-22-2006, 08:57 PM
It slices, it dices, it can even julian fries.

:biggrin:

LtBrugman70
09-23-2006, 02:02 PM
I guess that you could make a much more durable blade for razors if you could coat the steel blade with a microscopic layer of artificial diamond...

olkev
09-23-2006, 03:25 PM
I found a quote (http://kyoceraadvancedceramics.com/Products/kitchen_faq.htm#q16) from some makers of ceramic cutlery and apparently their engineers were used as guinea pigs for shaving prototypes.
It's interesting that they say it is too sharp. Sounds to me like an opportunity to design the proper razor to utilize it and cash in.

vox_rox
09-25-2006, 04:47 PM
It slices, it dices, it can even julian fries.

:biggrin:

Yup, it's a floor wax AND a dessert topping too!

Peace,

Pierre

TraderJoe
09-25-2006, 05:09 PM
i offered my services to this company as tester of their product, pointed them to this website (B&B), offered to do a review of their razor, and this was their response:

Good morning,

If you would like to order the Infinity Razor you may do so online or by calling our customer service department at (920) 966-6600 Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm CDT. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

russellnyc
09-27-2006, 09:57 AM
The last razor you'll ever need...

You know, I would have thought this was ridiculous if it hadn't been for my wife. When I started wetshaving over a year ago, she asked if she could have my battery powered Mach 3 to shave her legs. I had run out of cartridges, and had only the one stuck to the razor. You guessed it, it's been 12 months, and she is STILL using the SAME blade cartridge. She says she likes 'em dull. Go figure, I have no idea how this could possibly work, but it does, her legs are silky smooth all the time.

brensg
10-26-2006, 12:13 PM
www.theinfinityrazor.com
So I was curious, or maybe dumb, enough to risk spending the money to try out the Infinity Razor. I figured with what I spend on razors even if it only works for a few months it was worth it. So... the review. I could not even shave my entire face once with it. It is definitely not "the greatest razor I've ever used". Far from it. Not even in the top 5.
It cuts like a cheap disposable razor. i.e.; pulls the hairs more than it really cuts them. My mach III razor that is a month old cuts better than this thing. Hopefully I will get my 3 razor blades and a refund like they promised when I return this thing and still basically break even after spending $7.50 on shipping ($5 in and $2.50 to return it.)

TraderJoe
10-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi there, welcome to B&B

and Way to take one for the team!

GeeQue
10-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Will we ever see this one in the review section here ? I guess yes...thanks and welcome brensg!

Keep us posted on that refund brensg.

TraderJoe
10-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Will we ever see this one in the review section here ?

I made an offer to Infinity Razor Co. to post an official review on here (if they sent me a razor) and they snuffed me. I sure as heck won't be buying one of those trash-heaps.

Justus
11-13-2006, 09:55 AM
I went ahead and bought one and the shave was rough. So I called the customer service department and told them about it and was informed there had been a manufacturing glitch. They sent me a new one and it IS AWESOME. The gels sucked but the kitchen knife is sharp and sturdy. I like this razor and have used it way past the point of a replacement blade's lifetime. I would recommend this item. I'm getting more for Christmas. presents.http://badgerandblade.com/vb/images/smilies/yellow_guys/thumbup1.gif
:thumbup1:

modern man
11-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Yup, it's a floor wax AND a dessert topping too!

Peace,

Pierre

ya think Galleger will make a comedy routine?

modern man
11-13-2006, 10:08 AM
i offered my services to this company as tester of their product, pointed them to this website (B&B), offered to do a review of their razor, and this was their response:

ohhhhhhhhhhhh

call the a-team we have a problem

free ad it cant be that good if no one is going in for it

apcussla
12-10-2006, 09:12 AM
I purchased the razor about four months ago for myself and have used it and it still is not dull. I received mine with the shower gels....but am glad to see they changed the gift with purchase as they were a joke. I do agree it has the looks and feel of a disposable and by nature you just want to toss it away due to what we have been conditioned to do with our other disposables. However; everytime I go and shave my legs, they come out great and I am convinced the blades do not need sharpening.:cool:

TraderJoe
12-10-2006, 10:36 AM
dude, could you make that font a little bigger? i couldn't read it.

BroJohn
12-10-2006, 11:12 AM
<AHEM...> ...This thing on??...

"Cleanup in the Razor's aisle!..." :biggrin1:

-- John Gehman

mlebarron
12-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Whoa... good thing I got that 30" screen, otherwise I wouldn't be able to see that text.

LX_Emergency
12-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Good for you dude..but I bet I can outshave myself with my straight razors.

_JP_
12-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Interesting that someone with only one post likes this razor... :glare:

modern man
12-16-2006, 05:03 PM
dude, could you make that font a little bigger? i couldn't read it.

Humm, First Post too. I think we have a spam alert!

LX_Emergency
12-20-2006, 04:28 AM
obviously that's the case.

drewpitcher
04-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Hi... I sent away for this Razor and am and was very disappointed. It is like shaving with a two week old razor. It pulls and drags and feels like cutting with a jack knife instead of a razor. Spead the word.. DO NOT BUY THIS RAZOR... IT'S A RIP OFF. For sure I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. I wrote to the web site about it and never even got an answer..asked them if mine was an exception.
Drew Pitcher

FloppyShoes
04-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Given:

The thickness and bevel required to cut wiskers comfortably
The friction and wear present in shaving (small, but repetitive and long duration)
The maximum possible physical molecular bond in metals or any other material

It is my opinion as a professional engineer that it would be impossible to produce an edge that provides comfortable shaves, daily, for the rest of your life (barring any interference from God and/or Chuck Norris). Any company making a claim like this is either lying or breaking fundamental laws of physics and chemistry. :001_tt2:

Daniel Gauthier
B.Eng
Smarty-Pants Extraordinaire

TromboneGuy
04-06-2007, 09:47 PM
So, you're saying Chuck Norris could do it? :biggrin:

LX_Emergency
04-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Chuck Norris doesn't need it. He just roundhouse kicks himself in the face and all the whiskers are gone.

gollyitshot
04-07-2007, 12:47 AM
I'm tempted. Watch out gilette.

golly

Scotty
04-07-2007, 05:00 AM
I'm waiting on the ceramic blade razor since they claim it's too sharp.
I guess they have never used a Feather blade with a DE safety razor.

FloppyShoes
04-07-2007, 07:57 AM
So, you're saying Chuck Norris could do it? :biggrin:

Yes, that is exactly what I meant to imply. I said he COULD... I would never be so bold as to say what Chuck Norris should or shouldn't do. I imagine they'd have to annoint every blade with one of his tears, but I prefer using a dull razor to the ramifications of making Chuck Norris cry.

rtaylor61
04-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Yes, that is exactly what I meant to imply. I said he COULD... I would never be so bold as to say what Chuck Norris should or shouldn't do. I imagine they'd have to annoint every blade with one of his tears, but I prefer using a dull razor to the ramifications of making Chuck Norris cry.

Chuck Norris doesn't cry. Nor does he shave. He merely looks in the mirror and the appropriate whiskers (leaving his beard trimmed) fall into the sink.

Randy

Juaquin
04-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Very interesting how all the positive reviews only have one post, a few months later. It's almost like they joined only to post that and never came back. Odd, huh?

ExistenZtial
05-12-2007, 10:32 AM
I came to this site and read everyone's thoughts about Infinity Razor. I figured $20 wasn't a big price to pay to try it out. So, I visited the site. Ordered the $20.00 business which also tacks on $8.95 for shipping. As you go on to checkout (so you think), you are bombarded with other offers. I found an offer that seemed more cost efficient and clicked yes. They tacked that on and before I knew it I was paying $61 for both offers and there was no way to cancel either order. I phoned the company immediately BUT they only work 8-5 or 9-4 (depending on which phone number you call). You can leave a 30 second message, email them (they don't respond) or fax them. I did all three. After not receiving a response to my email, I called, faxed and emailed to cancel my entire order. I also contacted my bank to tell them not to honor the order. It was already too late. They had already charged my account...not once, but TWICE.

Someone finally called after a screaming voice mail and fax. They claimed they could do nothing since the item had been shipped. I was furious. So, they gave me a "Return Authorization Number". This meant I had to open the box and pay for the return shipping without confirmation that I was going to be reimbursed for the double charge to my account, which they would not acknowledge!

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY - INFOWORX. IF YOU CAN FIND THE ITEM IN A STORE, try it but absolutely do not try ordering it online. They will fleece you. They are a fishy organization and it's been many years since I've made a mistake like this. I'm usually very untrusting...:cursing:

I have no idea how the product performs but will wait to find it in a store like Bed, Bath and Beyond to try it out. I will think twice before providing my numbers to any fishy TV informercial groups ever again!

N4AOF
07-05-2007, 06:57 AM
Very interesting how all the positive reviews only have one post, a few months later. It's almost like they joined only to post that and never came back. Odd, huh?

Actually every one of the reviews is from a user with only one post - PERIOD - not just the positive reviews.

Despite all the posturing (and off-topic rambling) by several prolific posters, not one of the 'experienced' users of the forum has reviewed this item.

My guess is that these one-post-users mostly found B&B the same way I did, via Google or some other search engine while looking for exactly the kind of information that ISN'T here - a reliable review of the product.

Chase-p
07-05-2007, 07:26 AM
This thread is the very first thing that comes up with a Google search. It does make a bit of sense, then, that we'd have a lot of first posters... Hopefully they are looking at the rest of the site.

cigator
09-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I would never order this razor on-line and pay shipping. However, i did come across this razor at Walgreen's. I had a $5 gift card, so the razor cost me $5. I have used it daily for a couple of weeks. Certainly it doesnt shave as well as my Futura DE even with crappy Merkur blades, but I will say that if I give it 3 or 4 passes I get a decent shave. I'm going to keep using it and see how long it goes before it becomes painful. I set up my beard with musgo and brush, so maybe that is helping the razor perform.

dvdchris
09-21-2007, 02:00 PM
This seems like par for the course for infomercial-sold products. Like the $5 Sweep n Mop that turns out to be $30 by the time you order it.
The vast majority of reviews have been negative on this thing.
I found one site that reviews infomercial stuff, infomercial ratings (http://www.infomercialratings.com/).
Some products sold on tv seem to be ok, it's the business practices of these tv sellers that are deplorable like overcharging for shipping and making it hard or impossible to opt-out of add-on sales.
If you want to buy some of this stuff, buy it on Amazon and nix the overcharges.

SilkySmooth
09-22-2007, 06:57 AM
I'm waiting on the ceramic blade razor since they claim it's too sharp.
I guess they have never used a Feather blade with a DE safety razor.

It's not the sharpness that's the problem. The problem is that ceramic is very brittle and its durability is questionable.

==Tom

cigator
09-24-2007, 10:17 AM
I would never order this razor on-line and pay shipping. However, i did come across this razor at Walgreen's. I had a $5 gift card, so the razor cost me $5. I have used it daily for a couple of weeks. Certainly it doesnt shave as well as my Futura DE even with crappy Merkur blades, but I will say that if I give it 3 or 4 passes I get a decent shave. I'm going to keep using it and see how long it goes before it becomes painful. I set up my beard with musgo and brush, so maybe that is helping the razor perform.

Been about 1 month now. Been using the razor daily. Still giving the same shave it did when new. Not that it is good, but it is lasting as advertised so far.

SilkySmooth
09-25-2007, 03:24 AM
Good luck with that!

==Tom

Aevum
09-25-2007, 10:02 PM
whats the point of the razor lasting forever if you have to spend an hour getting rid of stubs and fuzzy spots, no point what so ever,

shadow
12-24-2007, 04:34 PM
maximum molecular bond? I see a solution!

Make a giant straight razor blade.

Sharpen the entire thing.

Drop it into a black hole, then find a way to get it back out.

it should be the size of a normal straight razor blade now, make some scales for it.

Use your incredibly sharp, now-normal-sized straight razor for as long as you want!

P.S. for honing solutions, just send it to joel he'll make it work.

SobBill2
12-25-2007, 07:45 AM
I saw an advertisement on CNBC this A.M. (it came on twice in a 15 minute-period acutally) for the "Infinity Razor." It was touted as the last razor you'd ever need to buy (although it sure looked like a disposable to me). They have a satisfaction guarantee, to the extent that if you weren't happy with it, they'd buy you your favorite "cartridge razor" as replacement.

Their website (now up and running):

www.theinfinityrazor.com (http://www.theinfinityrazor.com)

I smell snake oil :spockflam

Anybody else seen/heard of this?

Here's reviews.

http://dethroner.com/2007/04/12/infinity-razor-reviewed-verdict-junk/

BroJohn
12-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Avoid.

-- John Gehman

Finnigan
12-25-2007, 12:39 PM
On the subject of sharp and hard blades, I have seen saphire blades made for industrial uses, but they are VERY expensive.

Oops! looks like it's a site we should all know. Ted pella has them: http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/121-18.htm

Daves
12-25-2007, 01:14 PM
It sounds like something from Ronco. :thumbdown

DaveS

brackfalker
01-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I love how in the commercial on the webpage, they show the razor being dulled by 'shaving sandpaper clean' then claiming it can shave a 'delicate balloon.' Might as well be using a butter knife!

Aevum
01-06-2008, 04:47 PM
sapphire and diamond edge knifes are hard, but as usual, you want it to be sharp enough to cut the whiskers, not the skin, and brittle when reciving directional impacts, i wouldnt shave with something so sharp,

trucking
08-23-2008, 10:05 AM
#%*#%+## razor. Could not get thru the first shave with it. A "lifetime" of pain - no thanks! Finished my shave with my Persona (Trac II) twin blade - what a pleasure - what a relief. Was able to return the Infinity to CVS with no problem.

StillShaving
08-23-2008, 06:26 PM
I can thank Infinity Razor for triggering my discovery of DE wet shaving late last year. I was resisting trying out the new Fusion but was searching for a better shave experience when I saw the Infinity Razor advertisement. I felt it was too good to be true, but it motivated me to do some internet searching to find a better way. I saw the poor review(s) and realized Infinity was just trying out a new business model where you could send the razor back for replacement as often as you like, but the S&H charge would cover the cost of the actual product.
Along the way I saw gimmicks like this to keep your blade "aligned" and sharp:
http://www.instructables.com/id/EEUFGGNF5Y3YROZ/
And read a comment by Clark Howard about using a single razor the whole year:
http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownotes/2007/08/31/12606/

On one hand I can believe Clark's whole year of razor usage and the Infinity razor up to a point. If one only does a WTG pass and doesn't try to shave close, one can shave with the same blade for a long time. In the past, before I switched to a DE, there had been times where I shaved with the same blade for many weeks, the shaves where not very close but were presentable. This is subjective comment, but with some cartridge blades I found that after the first 3 or 4 shaves there is a long period of time where they don't seem to get any more dull.

Personally I was happy to discover wetshaving and sites like B&B. Now I change blades as often as I like without concern for cost. Though various mild forms of xAD have prevented me from actually saving any money after making the switch. :biggrin:

Here's reviews.

http://dethroner.com/2007/04/12/infinity-razor-reviewed-verdict-junk/