PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Go for BBS?

31M0
08-19-2008, 02:16 PM
I was just wondering when everyone on this board goes for a BBS shave.
Everyday? Twice a week? Once a week? Special Occasions?
I generally go for a BBS whenever I feel like it, I can't do it consecutively because of irritation (neck goes red, bumps on my cheeks). But I go for it once or twice a week simply because it feels so good to faceturbate.
Of course special occasions I go for BBS too, but I find when it's important I cut myself a lot more than normal..
So what about you? When do you go for a BBS shave?

Straight Arrow
08-19-2008, 02:18 PM
I am very satisfied with my usual 2-pass shave. Not BBS and not intended to be.

billybobbubba
08-19-2008, 02:22 PM
i go for daily, just don't feel right without it

RoyalKooparillo
08-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Every time I shave, of course... :biggrin:

DunEdinRanger
08-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Every day.

spinyeel
08-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Never!:rolleyes:Religiously pursuing bbs will make perfectly good shaves feel like failures.:wink:

SCWilson
08-19-2008, 02:32 PM
I tried everyday when I started and got lots of burn to show for it. Now I'm a month in I don't go for BBS. I'd rather work on my technique and let the BBS shave come when my technique brings it on. Till then, I'm very happy with my 2 to 3 pass shaves.

rickw
08-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Every day.

SmoovD
08-19-2008, 02:33 PM
I would like to have them every day but I am satisfied with a DFS so I don't try to kill myself. It is kind of like fishing...sometimes just sitting in the boat with a line in the water is reward enough. I don't have to catch a fish for it to be enjoyable.

Kbennett
08-19-2008, 02:34 PM
I try for it every shave (three times a week). Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.*

*I need to work on being more satisfied with the shave when I don't.

THECHEBB
08-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I always try for the BBS....

DanOK
08-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I normally use a three pass shave and I don't go for a BBS as I have learned that small variations in equipment or technique result in large differences in my shave results. I am happy to report that my technique has reached a point where I expect a DFS (damn fine shave) every time and am quite happily surprised when the results are BBS. I have learned which combination's of razors, blades, and soaps/creams will give me the best opportunity for a BBS but have found, like you, if I force the shave my results can be spotty.

Truthfully, I am still experimenting to much to settle into the best combo when I may still find a better one. Its about the RAD, ask the others, they know who they are.

wtruitt
08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Every time I shave, of course... :biggrin:+1

Seraphim
08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Every time I shave, of course... :biggrin:

Me too.

I used to go for every day BBS.

But lately my straight shaves have been lasting quite a long time, 12 hour BBS no problem, so I only shave every other day (not much to shave the morning after...).

I never used to believe what was siad about staright shaves lasting longer, but all of a sudden my BBS has become LLBBS (Long Lasting Baby Bottom Smooth)

Lord Raptor
08-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Every time I fell like it!

Sometimes, I have whole weeks of continuous desire to achieve BBS'es.
Sometimes, I just don't feel like it, and I am satisfied with DFS'es.

Generally this depends a lot on my "life experiences" at that time. If I had positive reviews, or an experiment worked and gave satisfactory results, the next morning I feel like going for BBS.

If the situation is on the opposite side, I feel no motivation, so I go for DFS.

Tigger23505
08-19-2008, 04:00 PM
I try for a DFS everyday. That's been an easy target to hit. I'm in the process of identifying problem spots - currently the throat behind the goatee, down to about the Adam's Apple, and the angle along the jawbone. I'm also working on developing the skills to deal with those areas.

If I go for BBS at all it is usually on Wednesday or Sunday. Reasons for those dates are personal, the other thing is that by not trying for BBS everyday there is an opportunity to let the face recover from major disasters, and razor burn.

Not A Nice Person
08-19-2008, 04:08 PM
I like to pull out a good cream and fresh blade on Sundays and go for a 4-pass BBS. Seems like the next two, three shaves after that are always better/cleaner. Green Proraso and Red Personna has been a pretty reliable combo in that regard for me.

This morning I tried for BBS, and just made my neck raw and irritated . . . for the first time since I switched over to a DE, too.

If it ain't meant to be, don't try to force it is the lesson I take from that. Ouch.

NANP™

studman46
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Shave every other day since I'm retired and, being a perfectionist, I go for a BBS every shave and get it 99.9% of the time. Using my Futur or 39c slant Hedgeslammer, it's pretty easy to achieve.

tvphotog
08-19-2008, 06:05 PM
It kind of sneaks up on me. I use a Merkur HD, and when I notice I've gotten a realy close shave( which is just about each time I use it,) I say "What the heck," and proceed to touch it up. Voila! BBS.

Best,

RayH
08-19-2008, 06:15 PM
I usually go for a BBS whenever I shave. Don't always succeed, in which case I have a DFS. And I'm happy with that.

Masterofsparks
08-19-2008, 06:40 PM
I go for a BBS shave every day. If I fall short it is still better than any electric or triple blade shave!

dpm802
08-19-2008, 06:48 PM
My shaving goal is to reach a stage that is comfortable to me ... as such, I usually stop after a pass and a half. This gets me to the point where I'm presentable, and the results last about 1 day before I can "feel" the need to shave, and about 2 days before I "look" like I need a shave.

Shaving isn't required for my job, so I can skip it entirely for 2 or 3 days. Generally, I shave Sunday and Tuesday nights for work, then on Friday night I go into my weekend routines, which are more time-consuming and produce closer results.

I spend more time on my shave when I'm getting styled up Friday and Saturday for nights on the town. On those few occasions when I've gotten close to BBS, its always been when I'm experimenting with a new razor, blade or consumable. If I get good results on the first pass, I just keep going and going until the whiskers are all gone.

I never actually try for BBS, but when it happens, its usually at a cost of some neck irritation. So I try to strike a good balance between what gives the closest shave, but also is the most comfortable ... the latter taking priority.

Garrett
08-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Every day!

moose-o
08-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Since I'm still learning my technique, I'm happy settling for a DFS (I can feel a bit of stubble when I rub ATG). I'm looking forward to getting that perfect BBS shave though. :cool:

New2DEShaving_Montreal
08-19-2008, 10:16 PM
A shave for me is not complete if it is not BBS. If it is not BBS, the hair shows clearly (blessed with very thick strong facial hair) which are far apart, and surprisingly just bend if I go WTG rather than get neatly cut. So the only logical thing to do is, ATG. So my three pass shaves are now XTG + ATG then clean up any remaining. Technique is the most important here, though I can honestly say that if you aim for BBS daily, you will have a slight irritation daily even if you do it with great skill. However, any irritation I get is usually gone within an hour.

Bluestaco
08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
I dont' know. I can't say I ever consciously go for a bbs shave at any given time, but there are days when everything seems right and I know I'll manage one, and that's when I do.

Christoph
08-19-2008, 11:25 PM
My usual shave is 4 passes. Its a pretty darned good shave, though never perfect. "BBS" means perfect to me. But perfection is just not important to me. Comfort is. So is looking good. Why does it have to be perfect?

huntmol
08-19-2008, 11:54 PM
I usually go for a 2-pass, but about once a week I go for DFS and every once in a blue moon I'll go for BBS

rikrdo
08-20-2008, 01:45 AM
on "Date Nights" and when I start to feel really cocky ! :biggrin:

jpkunst
08-20-2008, 02:07 AM
Never. I don't care about BBS, ever. I go for a daily, 100% irritation- and blood-free DFS.

koso
08-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Three pass shave with Schräge Vorschlaghammer, IP blade, tallow soap, close enough to BBS to suit me every time.

soapbox
08-20-2008, 11:16 AM
I try for a DFS everyday. That's been an easy target to hit. I'm in the process of identifying problem spots - currently the throat behind the goatee, down to about the Adam's Apple, and the angle along the jawbone. I'm also working on developing the skills to deal with those areas.

Yep, this is pretty much what I'm doing too -- I get a DFS every day, but sometimes conditions aren't right for anything more than a DFS. BTW, it can take a while to identify and cope with those problem areas without some bad consequences from trying too hard! :blushing:

BigRich
08-20-2008, 11:47 AM
I usually don't try. If I want I can get in on my chin, upper lip, and cheeks anytime and as often as I want but the jaw line and neck don't take to it very well. As I continue to hone (no pun intended) my techniques I'll give a go every month or two. Still working on it though.

christopherh
08-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I was doing it every day until I realized I almost didn't need to shave the following day. And since I actually enjoy shaving now, I didn't want to deprive myself the joy of shaving every day.

Mr Mockett
08-20-2008, 02:47 PM
I have a tough beard, I never go specifically for BBS.

B R A N D X®
08-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Daily.......I feel like a complete failure as a man if I don't achieve a BBS daily!:biggrin:

DirtyDave
08-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Every shave. With a bit of blade buffing, I get it as long as I have time.

Gabriel
08-20-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't bother. I go for three passes, make sure I don't have rough patches. That usually satisfies me.

OldSaw
08-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Usually every day. Sometimes I skip a day entirely. Some days I am rushed and just do a quick, "good enough" shave.

Shane
08-20-2008, 10:54 PM
I try for it daily but I'm not upset if I don't get it. A shave that isn't BBS is generally quite presentable anyhow.

Zach V.
08-22-2008, 10:47 AM
I would like to have them every day but I am satisfied with a DFS so I don't try to kill myself. It is kind of like fishing...sometimes just sitting in the boat with a line in the water is reward enough. I don't have to catch a fish for it to be enjoyable.

Yep. Plus it depends on the situation; if I have enough time, if I feel like it, etc.

Most days, DFS is all I want and need. Consecutive ATG shaves do not suit my beard and skin, not to mention my lifestyle.

BroJohn
08-23-2008, 07:36 PM
I never 'go for' a BBS shave. I've found that a BBS shave is the natural outcome of using good technique. So I shoot for a comfortable shave, free of 'problems' and end up with a BBS shave about 1/3 the time, if not a little better. I use a three pass shave with T&C as needed.

In seeking a comfortable shave, about half the time the result is so good that in passing an Alum bar over my face I experience no heat, no sting anywhere on my face --just the feeling of the cold wet stone. :w00t: It took a little more than a year to get to that point, and the use of the Alum bar was pretty harsh when I first returned to wet shaving.

Give it time, and work on technique --it'll all come together.

-- John Gehman

vivroy
08-24-2008, 07:11 AM
I am still newbie but I have found out that if I shave every other day it is hard for me to achieve BBS shave and there is no question of getting BBS if I shave everyday.The reason I have found for me is that before I used to shave every week:biggrin: now that I like shaving so much with my futur I cant waint to start shaving so I cant wait for 7 days and try to shave every other day.

So I think beard growth play important part in achieve BBS shave at least for me.

Vivroy.

DirtyDave
08-24-2008, 08:42 AM
I never 'go for' a BBS shave. I've found that a BBS shave is the natural outcome of using good technique. So I shoot for a comfortable shave, free of 'problems' and end up with a BBS shave about 1/3 the time, if not a little better. I use a three pass shave with T&C as needed.

In seeking a comfortable shave, about half the time the result is so good that in passing an Alum bar over my face I experience no heat, no sting anywhere on my face --just the feeling of the cold wet stone. :w00t: It took a little more than a year to get to that point, and the use of the Alum bar was pretty harsh when I first returned to wet shaving.

Give it time, and work on technique --it'll all come together.

-- John Gehman

Truly sage advice, Excellent post, John. :clap:

jtc33
08-27-2008, 09:06 AM
I do a 4 pass shave daily, and end up with BBS almost daily. If it does not end up absolutely BBS, I don't have an anxiety attack! Close enough counts.

JTC:biggrin:

GPSalvaggio
08-27-2008, 09:19 AM
It seems that my TOBS allows for less irritation while my C&E Nomad causes irritation while attempting a BBS.

Bostonian 007
08-27-2008, 09:43 AM
I would say only special ocassion, no need to irritate the face :)