PDA

View Full Version : Lip Balm request

Jim
08-28-2006, 07:10 AM
Whats everybody using as a lip balm?
Being the active outdoor type I destroy my lips at least a few times each fall/winter.

I have used Burt's bees and a few other brands over the years- lately all of them have been reformulated and have Mint-menthol-camphor or chamomile in them.
I despise the smell of these mint type products.

No - I really hate them!:mad:

So what product would you suggest?

Mama Bear
08-28-2006, 07:19 AM
I am a blistex girl... I have to stock up every fall when things dry out around here... but I went online and found a store that sells 200 different flavors of lip balm! :eek: check this out! http://www.kissfix.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=lip/CTGY/FLV They have Vetiver too! Wow.

Sue (Mama Bear)

Jim
08-28-2006, 07:23 AM
Thanks Sue
Is blistex the creamy one or a waxy stick? is it flavored?

I really want one with no scent at all that is a barrier type.

NYLaw
08-28-2006, 09:36 AM
GOOSEME:

Hands down THE best lip balm is the Jack Black Lip Balm... The reason is that it's SHEA BUTTER based, NOT petroleum... It moisturizes your lips, without making them greasy... Trust me, it's worth the 6 bucks at Nordstrom (or Sephora or pretty much any other cosmetic store...) It's "for men" and has a great mint flavor...

In a day or two, your lips are soft, smooth, and you have a nice minty scent coming from your mouth whenever you use it.

Find it here. (http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2802369/0~2377897~2377898~2380220~2380824?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2380824&P=1)

Or find it at Amazon for $8 here. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000235UPU/103-2393598-0895035?v=glance&n=3760911)

Jim
08-28-2006, 09:41 AM
GOOSEME:

Hands down THE best lip balm is the Jack Black Lip Balm... The reason is that it's SHEA BUTTER based, NOT petroleum... It moisturizes your lips, without making them greasy... Trust me, it's worth the 6 bucks at Nordstrom (or Sephora or pretty much any other cosmetic store...) It's "for men" and has a great mint flavor...

In a day or two, your lips are soft, smooth, and you have a nice minty scent coming from your mouth whenever you use it.

Find it here. (http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2802369/0~2377897~2377898~2380220~2380824?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2380824&P=1)

Or find it at Amazon for $8 here. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000235UPU/103-2393598-0895035?v=glance&n=3760911)

nice minty scent coming from your mouth whenever you use it.

lately all of them have been reformulated and have Mint-menthol-camphor or or chamomile in them.
I despise the smell of these mint type products.

Thanks anyway!

ada8356
08-28-2006, 09:42 AM
My favorite is Kiehl's Lip Balm #1 (http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/catalog/product.aspx?CatCode=Axe_Men&TopCat=F1_Mens_Lip&prdcode=307). I keep this stuff everywhere.

Jim
08-28-2006, 09:46 AM
My favorite is Kiehl's Lip Balm #1 (http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/catalog/product.aspx?CatCode=Axe_Men&TopCat=F1_Mens_Lip&prdcode=307). I keep this stuff everywhere.

Thanks -is it scented the webpage does not say!?

NYLaw
08-28-2006, 09:46 AM
No, the Keihls is not scented.... It's a classic, if you can deal with the Petroleum-base.

NYLaw
08-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Goose- It's truly a very, very SUBTLE mintiness... And it's not an artificial overpowering MINT- it's from natural mint in the mix.

Anyway, yes, yes- everybody loves the Kiehl's #1... Many, many celebs are seen using it all the time. The problem is that it's petroleum based, like Blistex (which my wife LOVES). The Blistex that comes in the little blue jar has a tingly feeling that you probably won't like because it's kind of minty.

The problems with petroleum are that they have a greasy feeling- yes, even the Kiehls- and leave a "Wet Look" that's not so great for guys all the time.

Goose- check out the Jack Black- see if the mint is too strong for ya. It's definately there, but once you put it on, it goes away pretty fast & is fairly subtle.

Here it is as Sephora. (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P12573)

And here it is as Bloomingdales. (http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=62896&CategoryID=1796)

TomH
08-28-2006, 09:54 AM
During the day I use Blistex Lipbalm in the tube and for the night, before I go to bed, I use the Blistex Lip Conditioner in the tub.

I hate lips when they are like sandpaper and my sweetie love soft lips too:wink2: :wink2: :wink2:

Thomas

ada8356
08-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Goose- It's truly a very, very SUBTLE mintiness... And it's not an artificial overpowering MINT- it's from natural mint in the mix.

Anyway, yes, yes- everybody loves the Kiehl's #1... Many, many celebs are seen using it all the time. The problem is that it's petroleum based, like Blistex (which my wife LOVES). The Blistex that comes in the little blue jar has a tingly feeling that you probably won't like because it's kind of minty.

The problems with petroleum are that they have a greasy feeling- yes, even the Kiehls- and leave a "Wet Look" that's not so great for guys all the time.

Goose- check out the Jack Black- see if the mint is too strong for ya. It's definately there, but once you put it on, it goes away pretty fast & is fairly subtle.

Here it is as Sephora. (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P12573)

And here it is as Bloomingdales. (http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=62896&CategoryID=1796)

I only notice the 'wet' look right after application and then all of the excess is absorbed into my lips. A little goes a long way... a tube will generally last me a year+ and the last 'tub' that I had lasted more than 3 years.

Stauff
08-28-2006, 11:58 AM
dr. Hauschka:o13:

rafikz
08-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Blistex Herbal Answer

javyn
08-28-2006, 05:47 PM
I use the Blistex creamy stuff. I don't know if it's the "best" but it is better than Chapstick so that's what I use. Don't have a problem with chapped lips much down here anyway so...

Mama Bear
08-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks Sue
Is blistex the creamy one or a waxy stick? is it flavored?

I really want one with no scent at all that is a barrier type.

I buy it at the gas station or the drug store. The one I like comes in a tiny yellow tub and I put my finger in the tub and then wipe on my lips. I like the tub better than the tube cause I never seem to get the right amount out of the tube.

As far as I know there are zero flavorings or menthol in this. It just works Great!!! Best $1.19 bargain in the world as far as I am concerned!

Hugs,

Sue

TraderJoe
08-28-2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.merryhempsters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Natural Ingredients: Certified Organic Canadian Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Beeswax, Calendula Extract (Certified Organic Calendula Flowers Infused in Certified Organic Olive, Certified Organic Canola, or Certified Organic Sunflower Oil), Rosemary Extract, Vitamin E

This does not make me high.

Mama Bear
08-28-2006, 05:52 PM
I buy it at the gas station or the drug store. The one I like comes in a tiny yellow tub and I put my finger in the tub and then wipe on my lips. I like the tub better than the tube cause I never seem to get the right amount out of the tube.

As far as I know there are zero flavorings or menthol in this. It just works Great!!! Best $1.19 bargain in the world as far as I am concerned!

Hugs,

Sue

I am so sorry. It is Carmex I buy, not blistex.. they seem to be about the same tho... I really hate the flavored or mint ones too... I just like them to soften my lips and nothing else.

geoff
08-28-2006, 06:01 PM
My wife just heats up some Beeswax and mixes in a little olive oil.

She pours it into used up chapstick dispensers and has been quite happy with it.

No scents/flavors added that way.

-Geoff

rossination
08-28-2006, 07:00 PM
I like Aquaphor, by the people who make Cetaphil. It's like Vaseline, but not as greasy. $8 or something for a huge tub that you're never going to finish. I melt it and pour it into empty containers from Scotto's samples.

mr_economy
08-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Ganache for Lips (http://www.ganacheforlips.com/) is simultaneously the best functioning and smelling/tasting lip balm I have ever used. Stumbled upon it by accident in a French goods store here (even though, like Nancy Boy, this company is based in San Francisco). I have the Vanilla Mousse flavor, and though it may sound a bit feminine, this stuff is delicious! As an added bonus, most of my favorite fragrances have a major vanilla component, and it just adds to the pleasure of wearing them.

roughrider
08-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I love the C&E Aloe Vera lip balm the best. It's $3-4 at their store. Pick it up if you get a chance.

rikrdo
08-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Dont knock it until you try it....

For really horrible problems I put on triple antibiotic ointment from www.Melaleuca.com.

It is very similar to Neosporin..in fact I use Neosporin as well when I am out of the TAO.

fisherc
08-29-2006, 02:41 AM
Try Weleda's Ever-On Lip Balm. This can be found at most natural grocery stores/Whole Foods. It has a very faint rose scent to it. And no mint/menthol/camphor !!!!

Chris

TraderJoe
08-29-2006, 06:04 AM
Jim, looks like you may have to start up a LBAD with all these ideas here!:lol:

mikey
08-29-2006, 04:46 PM
hello jim,

i use the one and only carmex.

thanks,
mike

kennethw
08-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I don't know what your threshold for camphor/menthol is, but Carmex is pretty amazing stuff. It works so well for me that I put it on for about 2 minutes and then wipe it off—and I'm fixed right up.

I don't understand how they stay in business. If those inexpensive little containers weren't so easy to lose in a car seat or a couch they would last for years.

javyn
09-02-2006, 09:49 PM
I just checked, what I have been using is "Blistex Medicated Lip Ointment". It's really good stuff. I also have some Blistex Daily Conditioning Treatment in a tub you have to use your finger with that I haven't tried yet.

The ointment is an analgesic, so it does have a menthol feeling though, which I like. I love Proraso, and used to smoke menthols...so a little cooling lip balm is A-OK w/ me.

dustind
09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Try 'Chapstick Ultra 30'

This stuff works great. Not greasy, and is excelent in the snow.

Dennis
09-08-2006, 10:13 AM
I want to know what Jim decided to try.... :biggrin:

Dennis

Shane
09-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Kiss My Face makes really good lip balm. It's organic and all six flavors give SPF 15 protection. It comes in Vanilla Honey, Strawberry, TreatMint (which I know you won't be getting), Sliced Peach, Cranberry Orange, and Ginger Mango. You can find a lot of the KMF products nowadays at Old Navy.

Shane

tjkirch
09-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Ganache for Lips (http://www.ganacheforlips.com/) is simultaneously the best functioning and smelling/tasting lip balm I have ever used. Stumbled upon it by accident in a French goods store here (even though, like Nancy Boy, this company is based in San Francisco). I have the Vanilla Mousse flavor, and though it may sound a bit feminine, this stuff is delicious! As an added bonus, most of my favorite fragrances have a major vanilla component, and it just adds to the pleasure of wearing them.
Thanks for this recommendation - I picked up some of the Vanilla Mousse (and have Chocolate Raspberry on the way), and I agree, it is delicious. Not that I've tasted any on purpose. No, of course not.

It works very well, doesn't leave as big a residue as other products, and the smell... oh, the smell... :001_wub: :001_tt1:

superfly
09-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I use home made lip balm, with Bee's wax, almond oil and honey. It works better than everything I've tried commercially. You can also scent it with some essential oil, but it smells just fine without it.

Nenad

gage0921
09-12-2006, 12:06 PM
If you dont mind spending $10 for it L'occitane has a nice one but me personally im a burtbees guy...I have 3 or 4 tubes lying around the house and boat.

sphughes
09-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm definately partial to the Jack Black Lip Balm. Anthony Logistics Vanilla is a close second and my wife likes both the tastes when she gets a sample off of me.

Scott

Bakerloo Line
09-13-2006, 01:56 PM
This works wonders for me, and is not minty at all.

Dennis
09-13-2006, 02:06 PM
I just picked up some Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm. It is not at all overly "minty" to me in the slightest. Ingredients:

Coconut oil, beeswax, sweet almond oil, peppermint oil, vitamin E, lanolin, comfrey root extract, rosemary extract.

Good stuff - I find it better than Blistex, Carmex, Chapstick that I have used previously.

I still am curious what Jim tried and liked though, since he started this thread and all... :biggrin:

Dennis

gage0921
09-13-2006, 02:08 PM
when things get severe ill put a pin hole in a vitamin E cap and squeez out the juice, then rub on...good stuff

Jim
09-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks Sean and all the other suggestions-:biggrin:

I spend alot of time outdoors in the winter 8-10-12 hours at a time in sometimes - degrees and my lips get shot I have actually come home with my lips bleeding!
- I found that I need a barrier type cream to keep them from drying out chapping and splitting. The leader of the pack for now is chapstick Natural no scent or MINT

Dennis
09-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks Sean and all the other suggestions-:biggrin:

I spend alot of time outdoors in the winter 8-10-12 hours at a time in sometimes - degrees and my lips get shot I have actually come home with my lips bleeding!
- I found that I need a barrier type cream to keep them from drying out chapping and splitting. The leader of the pack for now is chapstick Natural no scent or MINT

Now I that you list specifics, I use this:
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp17010_333181_sespider/neutrogena_norwegian_formula/hand_cream_fragrance_free.htm

When I spend piles of time outdoors, this lives in my backpack for hands, elbows, and lips. Should be available most grocery stores.

Dennis

rtaylor61
09-14-2006, 12:20 AM
I like Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm, but if I'm outside in extreme weather, before leaving home, I apply Bag Balm. Greasy, yucky, and very effective!

Randy

bearbeard
09-14-2006, 12:56 AM
I was given the AOS lip balm by a friend. WOW:001_tt1: I used to use other products but my lips would stay chapped and I would keep applying the stuff over and over......with the AOS lip balm it actually healed my lips in a couple of days and I found that I did not need to keep re-applying this stuff over and over, in fact I stopped applying it after a week and I did not need to use it again for quite a while. I realize it is expensive, but you really don't go through it like the other lip balms out there...my only complaint would be that it feels like there are little tiny micro-beads in the stuff....but it does heal the lips up pretty fast.

AACJ
09-14-2006, 01:30 AM
I'll second the Crabtree and Evelyn Lip Balm.

I also would like to make an off the wall suggestion. Lansinoh. I discovered it after one of our kids. It helps provide relief from sore, cracked nipples for women that are breastfeeding and it's safe to put right on and start feeding the baby.

I figured if something was strong enough to help heal a breastfeeding mothers nipples after a few hours of feeding per day, it's good enough for my lips. And it works.....it works GREAT! Plus the bottle is huge for the low price and lasts practically forever. This is not a joke either, it's great stuff.

rtaylor61
09-14-2006, 03:03 AM
I'll second the Crabtree and Evelyn Lip Balm.

I also would like to make an off the wall suggestion. Lansinoh. I discovered it after one of our kids. It helps provide relief from sore, cracked nipples for women that are breastfeeding and it's safe to put right on and start feeding the baby.

I figured if something was strong enough to help heal a breastfeeding mothers nipples after a few hours of feeding per day, it's good enough for my lips. And it works.....it works GREAT! Plus the bottle is huge for the low price and lasts practically forever. This is not a joke either, it's great stuff.

Link?

Randy

AACJ
09-14-2006, 03:14 AM
Link?

Randy

Here's one from Target (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1158225077/ref=sr_1_1/602-3541926-4881413?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B000067DYG) and one from Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3922518), it's widely available at most if not all drugstores. These are the big tubes, but they also sell a small tube the same size as a vaseline tube.

LX_Emergency
09-14-2006, 03:38 AM
My favorite lip balms are the ones from Lush, they're wonderfull, long working balms that smell Gorgeous. I had one for a while then switched to another brand and regretted it eversince....unfortunately I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy a new lush one while I still have the other brand lip butter so I'll have to use that one up first.

bordeaaj
12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
My wife just heats up some Beeswax and mixes in a little olive oil.

She pours it into used up chapstick dispensers and has been quite happy with it.

No scents/flavors added that way.

-Geoff

I like the Anthony Logistics lip balms as well but the last couple I purchased felt different than the others. Every time I used them I had to look twice to make sure I hadn't grabbed a glue stick by mistake. I thought maybe they had just sat on the store shelf for too long and if I kept using them they might soften up as soon the top layers were worn through...but they never did. After reading your post, I took the sticks out of their dispensers and put them in a cup, melted them in the microwave, mixed it up with a little olive oil, and poured them back into their dispensers. It worked great! I don't know if it was the olive oil or the remelting but it saved me from throwing out two $8 tubes of lip balm!

modern man
12-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Carmax :w00t:

I used Burt’s Bees and Chapstick before I went to Iraq. Then I tried Carmax when I was there no problems what so ever.

berzerkeleyan
12-11-2006, 01:00 PM
The one that works for me is Dermatone (http://www.dermatone.com/). I love the smell, and I love how it feels. The ingredients are as follows:

Active Ingredients: Padimate O (8%), Benzophenone-3 (4.0%), Petrolatum (49.1%)
Inactive ingredients: C 18-36 Acid Glycol Ester, C 18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Cocoa Butter, Isopropyl Palmitate (and) Isopropyl Myristate (and) Aloe Barbadensis, Lanolin, Menthol, Mineral Oil, Paraffin, Fragrance, Phenol, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin E), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin A)

I'm sure it contains a bunch of stuff that folks here may find questionable. But it's the most effective stuff I've tried (and I've tried many). They do make an "all-natural" version, so that might appeal to those who demand a non-petroleum based recipe.

Xert
12-11-2006, 01:06 PM
You people need help. (http://www.kevdo.com/lipbalm/)

But I would advise against Carmex, as it contains salicylic acid, which only dries your lips out further!

geoff
12-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Pleased to hear it worked for you!

I would expect the olive oil made a difference. Melting/hardening the wax shouldn't dramatically change the texture without an addition.

I like the Anthonys Logic lip balms as well but the last couple I purchased felt different than the others. Every time I used them I had to look twice to make sure I hadn't grabbed a glue stick by mistake. I thought maybe they had just sat on the store shelf for too long and if I kept using them they might soften up as soon the top layers were worn through...but they never did. After reading your post, I took the sticks out of their dispensers and put them in a cup, melted them in the microwave, mixed it up with a little olive oil, and poured them back into their dispensers. It worked great! I don't know if it was the olive oil or the remelting but it saved me from throwing out two $8 tubes of lip balm!

modern man
12-11-2006, 08:10 PM
You people need help. (http://www.kevdo.com/lipbalm/)

But I would advise against Carmex, as it contains salicylic acid, which only dries your lips out further!

Worked for me. :confused:

TraderJoe
12-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Carmax :w00t:

I used Burt’s Bees and Chapstick before I went to Iraq. Then I tried Carmax when I was there no problems what so ever.

Carmax is good stuff. I like the menthol bomb in it.

Sue
12-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Jim,
I have been adding complimentary SCS lip balm in orders this past week. These will accompany my new dry skin product. PM me if you would like a trial of it. I will add that it has a very mild mint flavor which you do not like in addition to the naturally occuring cocoa from the cocoa butter.

Kyle has found a tasty balm; you will not find mine tasty. I have deliberately left it unsweetened. The better a lip balm tastes the more a person tends to lick their lips which continues the chapped lips cycle.

Use a good balm in the morning, after meals or drinks and at night. Don't lick your lips and the chapping should be markedly better if not gone in 48 hours or less.
Sue
Ingredients: Shea Butter, Mango Butter, Cocoa Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Beeswax, Vitamin E (tocopherol), light mint flavor, no artificial color or sweetener.

Ltltony
12-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I am so sorry. It is Carmex I buy, not blistex..

+1 for Carmex

Jim
12-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Who dug this old post up?

Jim,
I have been adding complimentary SCS lip balm in orders this past week. These will accompany my new dry skin product. PM me if you would like a trial of it. I will add that it has a very mild mint flavor which you do not like in addition to the naturally occuring cocoa from the cocoa butter.

Kyle has found a tasty balm; you will not find mine tasty. I have deliberately left it unsweetened. The better a lip balm tastes the more a person tends to lick their lips which continues the chapped lips cycle.

Use a good balm in the morning, after meals or drinks and at night. Don't lick your lips and the chapping should be markedly better if not gone in 48 hours or less.
Sue
Ingredients: Shea Butter, Mango Butter, Cocoa Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Beeswax, Vitamin E (tocopherol), light mint flavor, no artificial color or sweetener.

That is very kind Sue, thanks for thing of me, I have been using This (http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/catalog/product.aspx?CatCode=Axe_Men&TopCat=F1_Mens_Lip&prdcode=307) and the Unscented chapstick while afield.

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who does not like mint et al ....everything is loaded with it.

kozulich
12-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who does not like mint et al ....everything is loaded with it.

You're NOT the only one.

Abloy
12-14-2006, 05:39 PM
I tend to have bad luck with lip balm, either the tube's advance wheel slowly ratchets itself to the all the way up position in my pocket (so that removing the cap tears the balm in half and makes a giant mess, or I launder/loose the tube.

That said, I've tried nearly every commonly availible lip balm, and I tend to like the lower petroleum formulations like burt's bees, AVEDA, Blistex Herbal Answer, Chapstick Moisturizer/All Natural etc. The original formula chapsticks are darn near unworkable in the cold, and even warm, they're quite candle like.

This, more than any other area of male grooming appears to be a significant issue to women, in that you'd better make sure that whoever you're kissing likes your choice in lip balm. I've had two different women steal and throw away lip balms that they disliked, so be warned.

Sue
12-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Abloy,
Wipe all that excess balm off :wink:.
Sue

mr_economy
12-15-2006, 01:15 PM
This, more than any other area of male grooming appears to be a significant issue to women, in that you'd better make sure that whoever you're kissing likes your choice in lip balm. I've had two different women steal and throw away lip balms that they disliked, so be warned.

I've found vanilla to be a wonderful compromise in this area. I'm quite enamored with vanilla, and most of my favorite fragrances contain the note, but have also found that women love it too. Mint can be very overpowering at times, particularly when it's like the mint in Burt's Bees and actually tingles, whereas vanilla is much less extreme.

modern man
12-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Who dug this old post up?

:biggrin: May have been me?

Jim
12-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Will- the old post digger upper!

modern man
12-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Will- the old post digger upper!

Quiet, Brawny might sue. :smile:

Jim
12-15-2006, 02:22 PM
:w00t: :scared:

modern man
12-15-2006, 09:32 PM
:w00t: :scared:

I am going to go through all your post just to raise the dead. :lol:

TraderJoe
12-16-2006, 01:06 PM
I am going to go through all your post just to raise the dead. :lol:

Stalker :eek::biggrin:

modern man
12-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Stalker :eek::biggrin:

Shhhh! are you trying to get me banned? or just a title.

Anyway I dug one up on his shave den so I guess you are right.:001_tt2:

BTW I like you old Avitar better.

Queen of Blades
12-16-2006, 04:59 PM

:thumbup1: :lol: :lol:

TraderJoe
12-16-2006, 08:52 PM

you just shot any chance of getting "friendly" with my hula girl.

she's a hula-lotta fun! :thumbup1:

modern man
12-16-2006, 09:08 PM
you just shot any chance of getting "friendly" with my hula girl.

she's a hula-lotta fun! :thumbup1:

Ahh shucks! :lol:

No mistake I like Hula girls, but the crazy baby was great! (your kid?)

TraderJoe
12-16-2006, 09:12 PM
(your kid?)

No. that baby did crack me up though, it will be missed on this end as well.

berzerkeleyan
12-16-2006, 11:27 PM
No. that baby did crack me up though, it will be missed on this end as well.

I actually thought the baby was you. :mellow:

TraderJoe
12-16-2006, 11:29 PM
I actually thought the baby was you. :mellow:

i usually aim for a shave that smooth :cool:

TromboneGuy
05-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Bumping an old thread - I got a sample of lip butter from Shea Terra Organics with my last order and the stuff is great. And this is coming from a trombonist, so my lips have to stay in good condition. I think I've tried just about everything out there and this stuff is up near the top.

http://store.africansheabuttercompany.com/lipsmshlipbu.html

According to their website, Angelina Jolie also uses their stuff. Heh.

jramire2
06-04-2007, 01:12 PM
There's a fairly new product out there called, of all things, Chicken Poop.

It's sold at most (not all) Walgreens locations, does a good job, and has in it and smells just like lavender.

good stuff, think they have a website by the same name as well.

~Joshua

modern man
06-04-2007, 01:22 PM
It Lives>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>again!!!!!!!

daniel
06-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Since it has risen from the dead....I'm with Jim, the less mint and flavor the better. I found that the Chapstick with the sunscreen in it works fairly well and doesn't have much flavor.

moses
06-04-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm kind of a fan of Burt's Bee, on the rare occasions I feel the need for lip balm.

-Mo

Limey
06-04-2007, 03:06 PM
There are two that I use. I like Burt's Bees. Like the label says I find it soothing, cooling and refreshing. The mint doesn't bother me.

Second, I like Jimmy's Ultra Dew with Aloe and SPF30 in the Icy Lemon. Its made in Salt Lake City, Utah and I've only ever been able to find it in Utah. I generally buy 6-8 sticks of it when I see it I like it so much.

Jim
06-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Who dug this mossy old post up? its almost a year old!

Limey
06-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Looks like E.J. aka TromboneGuy dug it up...an oldie but goodie!

TromboneGuy
06-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Looks like E.J. aka TromboneGuy dug it up...an oldie but goodie!

I thought it'd be better to post the suggestion in an existing thread rather than start a new one. :wink:

Jim
06-06-2007, 06:28 PM
I thought it'd be better to post the suggestion in an existing thread rather than start a new one. :wink:
Hey no problemo,just suprised to see it!:badger:

Limey
06-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Jim - did you ever find a decent lip balm like you posting about?

Jim
06-06-2007, 07:36 PM
I had been using this~
http://www.kiehls.com/_us/_en/catalog/product.aspx?CatCode=Axe_Men&TopCat=F1_Mens_Lip&prdcode=307

Not perfect, I also have been using unscented chap stick for outdoor activity's in the winter.

The search continues!

Taz
06-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Why does a lip balm thread have 83 post now 84 on a shaving site how never mind Jim started it:001_tt2:

Zeni
06-07-2007, 05:19 PM
I thought i replied to this before...

I use L'Occitane's shea butter lip balm. One application in the morning and one at night and I'm good to go. I used to have to constantly apply lip balm all day long winter and summer.

hyperwarp
06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Great balms here...what could be better than Badger in this "neighborhood" ???

http://www.badgerbalm.com

Their "Sleep Balm" cured my insomnia & got me offa nasty nasty AmbienCR...One of the great products of all time imho...

Gruder
06-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Carmex is on my 'stranded on a desert island' short list -- best stuff I've tried for chappage, hands down, though I must admit that it tends to keep Mrs. Gruder away...

Esoteric83
06-22-2007, 06:47 PM
I like the citrus flavor from Anthony Logistics...Tastes great, hydrates and soothes very well without much shine. Also, it's a decent sized stick and lasts a while. Also, available in Vanilla but I much prefere the citrus.

Yeah...If you don't like mint then Jack Black isn'r for you. I've used this stuff extensively over the years and like it but hate the tube application. If they made a hard version, I would be all over it.

I also like the Burts Bees stuff but I find that the quality varies from tube to tube. I've had some that was very shiney with lots of menthol and tubes with none all.

Sharps USA makes one that is very greasy and not that great IMO.

Kyle76
06-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Another vote for Carmex. Love that tingle. "My name is Jim and I'm an addict." :laugh:

TromboneGuy
06-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Carmex is good for a short-term fix. Just watch out with long-term use: it can actually dry your face out more, causing you to have to use the stuff constantly.

Kyle76
06-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Carmex is good for a short-term fix. Just watch out with long-term use: it can actually dry your face out more, causing you to have to use the stuff constantly.
Maybe that's what's happening because I do. Of course, I also did the same with Chapstick, Burt's Bees, etc.

Sue
06-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Jim, If there is a flavor in the lip balm, it's not the lip balm drying your lips it's due to licking your lips more because of the flavoring/sweetening, even if you don't think you lick them more.

I had made and carried unflavored shea/coco butter balm for complimentary order enclosures for quite some time because of that very reason. But, most everyone wants a flavor or to have it sweetened. (So now it's sweet and minty :(
Sue

uatrmpt
06-23-2007, 06:01 PM
I use a product called ChopSaver, originally developed for trumpet players, which I am. It's 100% natural and, most importantly, does NOT contain camphor (which can break down lip tissue) and create problems while playing.

If my ChopSaver isn't handy, I use pure Vitamin E oil, which helps to restore the skin. It's also good for reducing scar tissue over time.

http://www.chopsaver.com/images/cs_ad2.jpg

hyperwarp
06-23-2007, 07:55 PM
all natural & cheap considering the uber-quality of the product

http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10751&storeId=10101&productId=16459&langId=-1&categoryId=&showSubCategory

Also use BadgerBalm Lip Balms...
www.badgerbalm.com
Another all natural producer of some fine products. They tend to be more EVO based than beeswax based....A little bit pricier than Burt's Bee's...

Both lines are available @ Whole Foods & alot of vitamin shops

hyperwarp
06-23-2007, 07:56 PM
but then again mebbe not....sorry for the inconvience

rtaylor61
06-23-2007, 11:58 PM
Burt's Bees has become my favorite lip balm, but when I am at home, I use aloe vera or shea butter.

Randy

Kyle76
06-24-2007, 04:25 AM
Jim, If there is a flavor in the lip balm, it's not the lip balm drying your lips it's due to licking your lips more because of the flavoring/sweetening, even if you don't think you lick them more.

I had made and carried unflavored shea/coco butter balm for complimentary order enclosures for quite some time because of that very reason. But, most everyone wants a flavor or to have it sweetened. (So now it's sweet and minty :(
Sue

Sue, I rarely use flavored lip balm, and I'm pretty careful about licking my lips. I placed an order for your oakmoss cologne last week (which I hope smells like the Muhle-Pinsel oakmoss and mint soap that I love). Maybe I'll be able to try your balm. I think the lip balm thing is psychological. You get used to having very moist lips, so you continue to use it. My dad always carried a tube of chapstick (about the only thing available back then) in his pocket, and my mom always had a tube in her bedside table. My dad used Mentholatum from a tub at night, as did my grandmother. So I guess I inherited my addictive personality. :biggrin:

Sue
06-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Hi Jim,
Your order has already shipped, I wish I had known you wanted to try the lip balm; I'd have thrown one in ..... BTW, It's not something I sell.

I make the SCS lip balm, it is not a purchased base. It contains shea butter, mango butter, coco butter, aloe, avocado oil, vitamin E (tocopherol) and white beeswax. I've added sweetened flavor oil under pressure LOL.

Everything I have read about lip balms says the major contributor to chapped lips is from licking them more frequenlty because the lip balm tastes so good. That sets up a cycle where an individual always needs to carry and use a lip balm. Of course, as in any subject "They" may be wrong.

I have found some brands of lipstick to be drying so don't use them. Cost or brand isn't a factor, I think it is an ingredient, perhaps the coloring itself. I've bought tubes for $10 or more and also for a dollar, mositurizing quality is not price related. Some brands seem particularly moisturizing especially in winter months.

Sue

(SCS Oakmoss Lavendula doesn't have mint so you may be disappointed, let me know).

LorenzoJunkie
06-24-2007, 09:04 AM
I use Badger lip balm (the stick version). It contains all natural oils, has no petroleum, and comes in several great flavors. The Chai Rose is my personal favorite. You can get it for $2.99 at drugstore.com

hyperwarp
06-24-2007, 01:24 PM
BadgerBalm is a really good line-up....Their "Sleeping Balm" is practically a MIRACLE PRODUCT as far as I'm concerned.

Being a cyclical insomniac I was so blown away by the efficacy of the Sleeping Balm that I hit their web-site & bought 20 of their 50c samples to give away to people I liked or knew weren't sleeping well.....Plus their Tins are the coolest commercial artwork (all Badgers all the time) going so you'll never through away any of your empties, you will find something
to put in them l'il tin cans from screws to fishing hooks...

TENroaches
05-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I thought i replied to this before...

I use L'Occitane's shea butter lip balm. One application in the morning and one at night and I'm good to go. I used to have to constantly apply lip balm all day long winter and summer.

That's how I am. That's why I searched B&B for help with this. I always lose my Chapstick, I think when I pull my keys out of my pocket. I realized last night that I didn't have it, and I've been suffering all day. I put Cetaphil moisturizer on my lips before bed, and that sort of helped. My lips hurt right now. :frown:

Looks like this thread has been dug up again.

Jim
05-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Who dug this old dog up?:w00t:

TENroaches
05-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Who dug this old dog up?:w00t:

Guilty. :redface:

I can't even concentrate on my schoolwork because my lips are bothering me so much! I'm going to have to find me something or order me something tomorrow. Not that I have schoolwork after tomorrow. Ever again :smile:. Oh, except a paper or two I'm going to turn in next week.

mr_baseball_08
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm a big fan of Carmex myself.. I wouldn't really call it "minty" but it does have a distinct flavor/scent.

lab1dobie
05-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Mary Kay has a great lip balm with SPF-15. They also have a lip mask that removes dead skin cells and makes your lips feel great. Your significant other will like it!

OldSchoolYoungin
05-03-2008, 01:53 PM
My always-carry is either Kiehl's (easily the best I've used) or Burt's Bees. Carmex is good, too.

bonzo60
05-04-2008, 06:52 AM
This past winter i used Avalon Organics vitamin c lip balm with great results. A couple of dabs twice a day is all i used. Ita has a nice slightly sweet orange flavor. Whole Foods carries it.

3am Shadow
05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I would've set Burt's Bees awhile ago.. but now every time I put it on, my lips start to itch like crazy

GarageBoy
05-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Rose Bud Salve

Zeni
05-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Did you get the L'Occitane's shea butter lip balm? At $10 a stick I only have to buy 2 a year.