PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Merkur Fans

heynetboy
07-04-2008, 06:25 PM
I was wondering which one you prefer and why? I have seen there are many to choose from and I don't know where to start. I am happy using my 59' Fat Boy so far but I would like to try some new razors in the quest for the perfect shave.

RichGem
07-04-2008, 06:30 PM
The 1904 and the "Classic" are my favs. Superspeeds just didn't get close enough for me.

wtruitt
07-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Great question.. I have only a Merkur HD which I like alot, though.. I am new to the world of DE. I find the HD a very 'non aggressive' razor, though I have found that I am very fond of my Gillette SS. I am eager to see what you get, as I have been thinking of Progress or Futur.. the Vision looks nice, though a tad on the $$ for me..

Wayne

wtruitt
07-04-2008, 06:33 PM
The 1904 and the "Classic" are my favs. Superspeeds just didn't get close enough for me. Have you tried the HD? I thought the Classic and HD were similar, yet I found that my SS shaves a tad closer than my HD.. I used Derby's and Gillette 7'oClocks in each w/ same (SS a tad closer..).. guess it's another YMMV scenario..

Wayne

kevtex
07-04-2008, 06:35 PM
The HD is my go to razor. I have a SS and Tech but the HD feels better in my hand and gives me a great shave.

dpm802
07-04-2008, 06:52 PM
I recently got a Gold-HD, and its good, but I admit that my Gillettes shave closer. I started with Derby blades in it last week, this week I'm using Crystals.

The HD attracted my attention because so many people were talking about it here, and it seems to be the standard yardstick when comparing everything else. So I wanted one to know what everyone was talking about. I knew even before I got it that its not the world's best DE, but its definitely the world's best seller.

I also am debating which Merkur to get next ... I probably will go for something with a long handle, either a comb or a slant. Sooner or later I'll add a Progress ... no way to avoid that one, its another "must have" item.

I had an idea a little while ago of building up a Merkur 3x3 combo kit, consisting of 3 heads (Straight, Slant, and Comb) and 3 different handles ... and I wanted to interchange the heads and handles so I could have 9 razors for the price of 3.

Alas, a quick conversation with Lee of www.leesrazors.com educated me to the fact that the Merkurs are not interchangeable ... so scratch that idea.

Merkur's numbering system confuses the heck out of me ... is there some pattern to the numbers that I haven't figured out yet?

In any case, I'm figuring that eventually my active razor rotation will have about 10~12 pieces. I'm up to 4 right now. (HD, Fatboy, Tech, and Gem.) Merkur will account for 4~5, Gillette an equal number, and the balance will be oddball stuff like Gem, Shick Injector, and a straight razor or two.

RichGem
07-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Have you tried the HD? I thought the Classic and HD were similar, yet I found that my SS shaves a tad closer than my HD.. I used Derby's and Gillette 7'oClocks in each w/ same (SS a tad closer..).. guess it's another YMMV scenario..

Wayne

I haven't tried the HD. When I bought my classic, the HD was out of stock IIRC, so I got the Classic instead and love it. The 1904 and the Classic are the same (or very very similar) head. I use derbys and IPs primarily with an occasional white label Wilkinson thrown in. As I said, the Merkurs get much closer for me than the Gillettes, but I do keep a Tech in my rotation... I just make sure to use that with my sharpest blade (the Wilkies). But, as you said, YMMV.

superbluef350
07-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm looking to have my first DE wet shave. Any suggestionds on a good razor to start with any and all info will be helpfull. I would like suggestions for all the gear needed to get started

jeffb
07-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I have owned the classic (sold it because I liked the heft of the HD better), slant (sold it because it didn't work well for me), 38C (sold it because it was too big for my taste), HD, and Progress (Mergress actually) and like the Mergress best, followed closely by the HD. These two are basically the only razors I use now and I really like them, every once in awhile I'll use a rocket HD or NO. 66.

mankini
07-04-2008, 07:54 PM
After reading a bunch of reviews and suggestions I decided to go with the merkur progress. I am glad I did, I have been using it the last 6 months and it was my first razor. This thing can be dialed down to super smooth or opened up to mow the grass. If you do decide to get it as your first razor be diligent to choose a mild setting and stay with that until you get your technique down pat. The temptation exists for some to fiddle with the setting but if you have will power this is not a problem. I say progress.

wtruitt
07-04-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm looking to have my first DE wet shave. Any suggestionds on a good razor to start with any and all info will be helpfull. I would like suggestions for all the gear needed to get startedAfter reading this forum and taking suggestions.. I started w/ a Gillette Tech and a Merkur HD.. both are excellent razors.. I was told to shy away from starting w/ an adjustable (though others have done so), as it's just another item that I would need / want to play with prior to perfecting my technique.

I will say that my technique is far from perfected, though I get a very good shave each day.. (I learn something new each day.. hence will never really be "perfected").. Still love my Merkur and Tech.. have a Superspeed Bluetip that is nice for starting also..

Wayne

zenon
07-05-2008, 12:58 AM
What I like about the Merkur HD is the heft and feel in the hand. You can feel that the Merkur are of better manufacturing quality. (And, much more expensive, too.) The new releases look great--I'd love to get myself a Barber pole slant. (In fact, I will....) ;-)

Duckster
07-05-2008, 01:13 AM
I tried the HD and thought it was okay. I traded it for a slant and like it a lot!

crankymoose
07-05-2008, 05:01 AM
I have a 38c barber pole, 39c slant sledgehammer, mergress (modified progress) and a Vision 2000, if I had to pick one I would say the mergress it gives very close comfortable fast and consistent shaves, maybe not as close as some of the others but I can shave faster with it then the others, almost always irritation free and I don't adjust it at all.

FaPat5
07-05-2008, 08:05 AM
It seems no-one has mentioned the Merkur Futur. Similar price-range to the 38c, but much better. Very close and comfortable shaves, and it looks great too. Definately my new go-to razor.

DanOK
07-05-2008, 08:42 AM
I'm in agreement with FaPat5, before I had found B&B I purchased a Futur and love it. It and my Gillette Slim Adjustable would be the only razor's I would have if SWMBO said only two. Let us know what you decide.

Dr. Mike
07-05-2008, 08:43 AM
BUY A SLANT! Just shaved with mine last night. Great razor, especially if you want aggressive!

liege
07-05-2008, 08:56 AM
I just sold my Futur and am keeping the Progress. It gives me the best shave out of all the razors I've tried. Of course, proper prep, lather, blade and technique also have a little something to do with it.

13th Duke of Wymbourne
07-05-2008, 09:14 AM
I started out with a Futur which is great, tried some gilletts (Fatboy, Tech) but found them too mild, then I got a 38C which is my favorite razor.

talibeard
07-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I have the classic, the 25C (open comb) and the 37G (slant).Don't really know the classic since my dad doesn't give it back to me but I like the other two very much : the open comb is very forgiving and easy and I allways use it when I try some new blades, the slant is giving this great close shave in only a few passes.

cooncatbob
07-05-2008, 10:28 AM
If you like the Fatboy you'll love the Progress, same size and weight.

studman46
07-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Have many gillettes and Merkur Futur. The Futur gives best, closest shave by far and blade in it lasts far longer than any of gillettes. I don't seem to have any problem with slipping out of hands (hold it at fulcrum where handle is indented) or changing blades or fact that it has large head as others complain of. Always get close, smooth BBS shave without irritation. Only get a nick once in a great while if I get sloppy. Tame it, and it's a puppy in your hands. Highly recommended. PS: just ordered Merkur barberpole slant; we'll see if it supercedes the Futur.

jkh
07-20-2008, 05:40 PM

+1 Get a Progress.

john.crissman
07-20-2008, 05:52 PM
I love my Barberpole, but lately I have been smitten by the wonderful shaves from my Progress. It is a very close second.

gagarin
07-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm a Gillette fan, but I also have a Slant, Classic and Progress. The Progress is by far my favorite Merkur, better than the Gillette adjustables. It feels much like a Fatboy in the hand, but shaves me much better. I like the shaving angle, and it sounds great as it cuts.

Monkeyboy
07-21-2008, 09:59 PM
I liked the standard HD and the slant version but after I tried the vision, I got rid of all the other DEs, including the gillettes.

It's big, it's pricey and I have to disassemble it to fully clean it every once in a while but the shave is amazing every time I pick it up. I barely get any sting splashing on the velva and I am still reasonably smooth after 12 hours - still visually clean shaven 24 hours later if I use a feather blade.

rodd
07-22-2008, 05:47 AM

Even if you don't like the fatboy get a progress. They are unreal.

Aevum
07-22-2008, 06:57 AM
i tried a couple of slim adjustables, the merkurs are just better razors, atleast in my humble opinion,

vsp
07-22-2008, 09:53 AM
I just sold my Futur and am keeping the Progress. It gives me the best shave out of all the razors I've tried. Of course, proper prep, lather, blade and technique also have a little something to do with it.

+1 Me too
Sold the Futur, keeping the Mergress

FatboySlim
07-22-2008, 08:58 PM
BUY A SLANT! Just shaved with mine last night. Great razor, especially if you want aggressive!

Love my slant (a 37G), and would recommend them to anybody. I also have a 39C "Slant Sledgehammer" on the way, I love big heavy razors. Perfect combination.

The slant felt very natural to me from the start. Something about the very angular head shape, and more widely set skin contact points, seems to actually assist me in maintaining proper angle with less conscious effort. The aggressiveness lets me use very light pressure and get a very close, gentle shave. After using a slant, I find my technique is improved when switching back to shave with my vintage Gillettes. It's almost a training razor for me. Maybe I just approached the slant more carefully to start with.

The only downside I've found with a slant is that they require very sharp blades to be effective, for me. A dull blade will skip or even slide over whole sections of beard worse with a slant than any other razor I've tried. If I dig in to try to compensate, I get cut. But a sharp blade just glides through like an assassin. :cool:

mr00jimbo
07-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Slant rocks. But be careful! :)

studman46
07-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Have no probs with the Futur. Love it. It gives BBS shave with no runs, no drips, no errors and outperforms all my gillettes. My IP's last seemingly forever in the Futur....only 4-5 shaves in the gillettes. Have just ordered and awaiting the Merkur slant on a barberpole (sledgehammer); it just may eclipse the Futur. Stay tuned....news at 11.

chickpea
07-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I love my 38C baberpole, but then again, it's the only DE razor I have ever used, so I have no basis for comparison. But I love the heft, I know I would not have like the HD, compared to its big bro the barberpole. Depends of course on whether you want more heft in the razor or not, I think it helps me lay the hell off an not use pressure (otherwise I would).

Mainecanefan
07-24-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm a big fan of the Slant. Nice weight, nice cutting action. I'm looking forward to getting the Sledgehammer next

falo
07-25-2008, 07:18 AM
I used a Merker Futur for the first 7 months exclusively (as my first DE). Love it, and I'll keep it forever. I still use it fairly often as my go-to closest safe* shave.

*safe meaning I can crank it up to the most aggressive setting and get sick close shaves in 1 pass if I need to look good for more than an hour and a half :thumbup1: - without taking off half my smile!

jtc33
07-25-2008, 07:40 AM
I have a Merkur HD and a Gillette superspeed. I like the feel of the superspeed in my hand better than the HD, but the HD gives me a better BBS shave. I wonder if there is a razor that has the feel of the '53 superspeed and the closeness of the HD shave? Those are the only DE razors I own.

porteno
07-25-2008, 08:46 AM
as usual YMMV, with that aside, I learned about DE shaving 7 months ago and my first razor WAS in fact the Futur. I keep the adjustment at 1.5 and I get awesome, close shaves.
Have NOT tried any other Futur's but I might get the HD next.

The Futur does need a few weeks learning curve however and the head is large and bulky which can interfere with getting very close shaves in spots like right under the nostrils.

asat00
07-25-2008, 05:26 PM
I have a VISION 2000 and a Futur. I love both of them but not for a daily shaver. When I'm in the mood for that bbs and really want to take my time and mow the lawn, I go to the Vision. I sometimes throw the Futur in there to spice things up a bit. I love these razors becase they give a totally different experience, in my opinion, than any other razors that I have tried. I have to use a different technique with each one than I would with , say, any of my daily gillettes. The Futur is probably the weirdest one for me. I find that it is somewhat difficult to tell where the blade is on my face, especially my upper lip, because of its massive head, and the angle that I use with it. Many ppl complain about the Vision's head being too bulky to shave their upper lip, but I find that it expoises so much blade and is so agressive that I can feel exactly where the blade is, and have never had that problem. Love them both. I have the slant, progress and 38c on my wishlist.

asat00
07-25-2008, 05:32 PM
I liked the standard HD and the slant version but after I tried the vision, I got rid of all the other DEs, including the gillettes.

It's big, it's pricey and I have to disassemble it to fully clean it every once in a while but the shave is amazing every time I pick it up. I barely get any sting splashing on the velva and I am still reasonably smooth after 12 hours - still visually clean shaven 24 hours later if I use a feather blade.

Wow. A feather in a vision? You either have no feeling in your face or leather for skin. Either way I worship you. That's about as agressive as it gets.

Grizzled Veteran
07-25-2008, 05:43 PM
I'd recommend the Progress with a Feather blade. You can make it as aggressive as you want.

From what I've read, the Progress is far and away the best Merkur adjustable and also the cheapest.

Mojo88
07-25-2008, 06:00 PM
The Mergress hand down for me..closest shave next to a straight...

DunEdinRanger
07-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm a Slant fan. I have the Barber Pole and the HD. I originally got the HD and love it, but then RAD, and the need to know if the Barber Pole was better overcame me.

I used to get 5 O'Clock Shadow at 10 AM. It didn't matter what I shaved with, multiblade or electric. When I switched to DE shaving I started getting incredibly good, close, smooth shaves. The Slant is a little facial hair lawn mower and the Barber Pole, though I have only shaved twice with it gives me just as close, or closer shaves than the HD in less time, and that's with a Derby Blade. Wait till I pop a Feather in there.

I shaved over 12 hours ago and am still presentable. I can't really visually notice the stubble but can feel it now.

geordie
07-25-2008, 10:21 PM
It's so funny. I think my HD is much more aggressive than any of my superspeeds, with the same blades. What's the general consensus on this? Anyone know?

whiskerlips
07-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Started DE shaving in April with a 38C. I became comfortable with that, and switched to 39C. Other than a few bad episodes due to King of Shaves oil, I have found the Barberpole slant cleanly cuts through the trouble spots on my neck easily and with little or no irritation. Sensor Excel, Braun electrics, and the 38C couldn't do that. I do hear the mergress calling though.

jtc33
07-27-2008, 10:54 AM
It's so funny. I think my HD is much more aggressive than any of my superspeeds, with the same blades. What's the general consensus on this? Anyone know?

I have found exactly the same thing. I use Derbys in each and find the HD gives a much closer, better shave. Anybody have measurements of blade angles, exposed edge, etc that may account for the more aggressive shave of the HD?

Backno
07-28-2008, 05:42 AM
classic all the way.

burningdarkness
07-28-2008, 05:59 AM

I have found exactly the same thing. I use Derbys in each and find the HD gives a much closer, better shave. Anybody have measurements of blade angles, exposed edge, etc that may account for the more aggressive shave of the HD?

I completely agree. The HD gives a much closer shave than Superspeeds.

Masterofsparks
07-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Just bought my Progress last week and was the first DE I have used since I was in my teens....I found it to be a very nice shave. I started out with a 2.5 setting like some here recommended but was not agressive enough for me so now I am at almost a 4 and find it quite comfortable....

kevo
07-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I personally like the Futur the best

Zach V.
07-29-2008, 05:23 AM
I've heard many recommendations for the SS or HD. You probably couldn't go wrong with either one.

I got the HD and I love it.