PDA

View Full Version : Drug Store Bargains....

joel
06-22-2008, 10:07 PM
http://www.badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=13108

Outstanding products, and within arms grasp (Part 1)

A quick overview of some inexpensive and outstanding products you can pick up at your local drugstore!

The newest "gotta have" rare-handmade products from the tiniest factories all over Europe are great and all, but often they're over-hyped and over-priced. Many fellas forget how many outstanding products we have available at our local drugstore. From aftershave splashes, to balms and moisturizers, we actually have a good array of quality products within arms grasp - and at a fraction of the price of the foreign stuff. Part one (this article) will touch n the very common product you can find at local Walgreens, Wal Marts, Rite Aids, etc. Part 2 will uncover some of the outstanding products available at health food markets that aren't widely known, or discussed but can be found locally by digging around some local beauty supply stores, or salons.

Aftershave splashes, balms, and moisturizers......

Splashes -

Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=13101

This is a really lovely aftershave splash. Smells quite lovely, comes in a nice glass bottle, provides a bit of a moisturizing, fights razor burn and irritation like a raging bull, has a great cooling/menthol effect - and is dirt cheap. What more can you really ask from an aftershave? Aqua Velva reminds me of Floid Blue (the Itallian stuff) yet is a mere fraction of the cost. In fact, the only real mentionable differences between the two products is that Floid smells different, comes in a different bottle and has a different name. Being that Aqua Velva is every bit as good as Floid, that puts it in the top running for the finest aftershave splash. Cost aside, Aqua Velva is outstanding stuff and shouldn't be looked at as merely a "bargain buy" but seen as an exceptionally high quality product that has seen so much success, it is available at a tremendously low price due to its mass production. All American wetshavers should have a bottle or two of Aqua Velva residing in their toiletry locker.

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=13102

Ok - so it's Aqua Velva again.... so what? :biggrin: While this doesn't have the menthol punch as delivered by the classic blue, it does have a killer scent (my favorite of the bunch) and provides an outstanding option for those not "ga-ga" over the classic scent.

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=13103

Akkk - Aqua Velva again? Ok - broken record time... but hey, at least only one more product from them will show up after this :redface: So what's this one all about? Well - a different scent, with the same cooling menthol as the classic, and a few vitamins added to help heal/calm your face. This has a "sportier" younger scent, which I am personally not as fond of, but it's still quite nice. Those who prefer oceanic/marine scents will quite enjoy this one. I'm guilty of liking quality packaging, and unfortunately, this version comes in a cheap feeling plastic bottle. Cest la vie... it's cheap :wink:

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=13104

Cheapie bottle like Aqua Velva Sport, but hey.... at least it's not Aqua Velva again! So this is a totally different beast, in that it has a SERIOUS punch of menthol. In fact, I think the only more mentholated product that can be used as an aftershave splash I have experienced is Osage rub. Suffice to say - this makes your face feel like someone blasted you with nitrogen... for you fellas in the Polar Bear Club - this is your cheap ticket to Antarctica. The smell is quite nice, and certainly a classic with a crisp woodsy scent. This, like the Aqua Velva splashes is an outstanding "daily" splash. For the price of a bottle of floid, pitralon, musgo real, etc - you can get all of the splashes above, and still have some money left over... oh, and you can merely drive to the store an pick 'em up, instead of having to scour the net, then wait a week or two for it to be shipped to you.

Balms
"Who told you to put the balm on?

Anytime I hear the world "balm" I always think of Kramer (of Seinfeld's) attorney Jackie, all sorts of ticked off spouting off "Who told you to put the balm on?" What's the point? Well... a good balm heals, and makes a big difference. Like Kramer's burn that was quelled - a good balm makes a big difference.

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=13105

Wait... it's not Nivea balm? Sorry.... i've got 2 words for Nivea aftershave balms "You Suck!" They have their fair share of fans, but they smell like chemicals, don't work so great, and leave quite a bit to be desired. Are they better than the gillete fusion balm garbage? Sure, but so is a splash of water. Alright - back on track - this Brut aftershave balm is REALLY outstanding.... provided you like the smell of brut, as it has a strong scent that doesn't seem to fade....ever. Other than the potent scent, this balom is perfect. Loaded with butters (Shea and Aloe butters) beneficial vitamins, oils, etc - this is a tube of delight for wetshavers. Killer moisturizing properties, sinks in the skin quickly, fights irritation, works great, and is quite inexpensive. Pending you're a fan of the scent, you'll be a big fan. If you have skin as dry as dust, you'll be hard pressed to find a more moisturizing aftershave balm.

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=13106

I warned you it was coming back, didn't I? This has a scent similar to the classic balm with more of an oceanic influence, yet unlike brut, the scent seems to fade quite quickly. This balm also has a light cooling effect which is quite nice, and does a superior job (to the brut) fighting irritation/razor burn. In fact, this is among the top 4-5 razor burn fighting aftershave balms out there in my opinion. The biggest difference between this and the brut (other than the fading scent) is this is far less moisturizing than Brut. Don't get me wrong, it does a great job moisturizing, and is suitable for fellas with oily skin, but the brut is on another level - and if you face is exceptionally dry, it won't cut the mustard like Brut. If you have normal to oily skin, this is a tough balm to beat.

Moisturizer

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=13107

Ok, so there is one Nivea product mentioned. So as you can tell, I'm not a fan of Nivea.... but this product is too good to not mention. What is it? Well... they call it a "hydrogel" but they don't really tell you what to do with it, when or what it's really designed for. Basically they say it's for when you're face needs to be "refreshed" - which to me, means their marketing team bickered over what to release the product as - and they said screw it, lets send it out there in a confusing manner, and make this fine products destiny sure to fail :rolleyes: So what is it? Well... it's kind of a gel like skinfood, but doesn't leave any residue and doesn't "seal" the skin. I think the best way to describe this is a cheap smelling aftershave, moisturizer, mid-day pick me up - skin conditioner, swiss army knife of mens grooming. It works good as an aftershave, provides enough moisture to be used as an aftershave (sinks in quick and clean) or as an all over the face moisturizer. It's efficacy is really quite impressive, and the pump bottle is incredibly handy, but the scent (at least for me) is really underwhelming. I have a feeling this product won't be around long (due to the bonkers marketing, or lack there of) so pick up a bottle whilst you still can.

Stay tuned for Part II next week, which will cover some of the more advanced, and "wonky" products worth hunting down at local health-food stores.

Shane
06-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Awesome post! Too bad I can't find the Aqua Velva balm.

iron maiden
06-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the post, Joel. I have almost every one of those products, with the exception of the Nivea.

Shane, you could try a Rite Aid, Walgreens, or CVS pharmacy for the AV Balm.

1969Fatboy
06-22-2008, 10:36 PM
surprised pinaud wasnt in the mix? as much as i dont want to...buying the mennen tommorow! The smell will grow... I am looking for the feeling!!! got to be better than listerine! dont ask......

Duckster
06-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Very good post. I would add van Der Hagen shave soap to the list.

...Shane, you could try a Rite Aid, Walgreens, or CVS pharmacy for the AV Balm.

I shop at Rite Aid, Walgreens, and CVS and have never seen Aqua Velva Balm. Maybe it's only in certain parts of the country?

Zeca2009
06-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Where do you guys find the Brut aftershave balm??? I can't seem to find it over here, are there any stores in particular? (I'm in California btw)

King of Kailua
06-23-2008, 12:40 AM
You will not deny the power of Nivea Balm! I defy you! :eek:

Mottern Man
06-23-2008, 03:59 AM
It is about you guys started listing to me.

Now, go get some Aqua Velva! :w00t:

..and Clubman, Skin Bracer, Old Spice, Masters Bay Rum (Sally's) etc.

rikrdo
06-23-2008, 04:02 AM
See this:

Review Numero Uno (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10574)..........................' nuff said :cool:

Truth be told: I like the Musk mucho better
and
AFTA is a key ingredient in my home made ASB's

Mottern Man
06-23-2008, 04:11 AM
Where do you guys find the Brut aftershave balm??? I can't seem to find it over here, are there any stores in particular? (I'm in California btw)

You really have to look.

It is just as hard as the AV Balm to find now.

If you cant get it local, try drugstore.com. Great site you can get a ton of dirt cheap and proficient wetshaving goodies.

King of Kailua
06-23-2008, 04:31 AM
The Pinaud Bay Rum

Just a few ducats at Longs :pirate:

norman931
06-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Excellent review. I'll have to try the Brut. I would also add Mennen Afta (original) to the list. It feels good on my face, and I like the scent. I tried the Aqua Velva Balm, but the scent seemed to trigger allergies or something. And I didn't care for the Nivea either.
A big "+1" for AV Ice Blue, Ice Sport, and Mennen Skin Bracer.

Prince
06-23-2008, 05:40 AM
Thank's Joel for the reminder of what is just down the street.

I've seen most of these at the local grocery store.

dgauvreau
06-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Great post. In my mind, these products almost have to be grouped separately from things like Pinaud and Masters because you can find AV and Nivea in any supermarket in the U.S., but you typically have to hit a Walgreens or Sally's to pick up the "barbershop" stuff like Pinaud. In some ways, I think that puts these products at a distinct disadvantage, because it seems like Nivea (and Neutrogena) in particular, design their balms to meet the lowest common denominator in terms of scent. On the other hand, the Brut Aftershave Balm puts almost every other balm I've tried to shame in terms of post-shave comfort.

gabeyb
06-23-2008, 06:21 AM
+1

VDH soap is great.

I shop at Rite Aid, Walgreens, and CVS and have never seen Aqua Velva Balm. Maybe it's only in certain parts of the country?

scottish steve
06-23-2008, 06:25 AM
If I walked into my office smelling of Brut I'd get laughed right out of the building! Maybe its a European thing but I've never seen any of the other products (barring the Nivea of course). In fact there's only one scent I've ever smelled that's really hooked me and that's Trafalgar. Just wondering when I'm up for spending the $76 for 350ml of it. (almost everything's twice the price in Scotland as it seems to be in the US)

Suzuki
06-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Great thread - its amazing that we often overlook the great classics that are just under our noses.

I bought my first bottle of AV a couple of weeks ago (the green "Original Sport" flavour that we can get up here in Canada) - and I've gotta say that, after using it almost every day for a couple of weeks, I'm mighty impressed - to the point where I could hapily use AV every day and my skin would be very happy.

A couple of other recommendations for folks in Canada:

1) AV Original Sport - most Canadian drug stores/supermarkets

2) Nivea shaving cream - available at most Shoppers Drug Marts

3) Life brand aftershave balm and moisturizing gel - the gel is very good for the summer, as its got no oil in it - a must try for anyone who likes skin foods/oil-free moisturizer. Its loaded with good stuff - and is dirt cheap.

4) Real Shaving Company stuff - decent stuff available at most Shoppers

A couple of suggestions for the folks in the UK/EC:

In the UK:

1) Boots brand products - the soap in particular is quite good, but the cream and other products are also good value for the price

2) Erasmic - I think the stick is the best product

3) Palmolive - creams and stick

In the EC:

1) Tabac - soap, stick, AS - all great products and pretty easy to find

2) Vergulde Hand - great drugstore range of products available in Holland/Netherlands

3) 4711 aftershave

4) Pitralon - I think the Swiss is the best in terms of skin-soothing properties, but the Classic has a nice cedar scent

I know there are others out there, but to Joel's point - its worth trying the tried and true products, which are often quite good and a fraction of the price of the high-end stuff.

Zeni
06-23-2008, 07:41 AM
3) 4711 aftershave

I think Jim wrote a year ago that this was one of the best underated AS. I just picked some up at Merz. He was right good stuff, I like it better than Speick.

Lynchmeister
06-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Great stuff, Joel! I've been an avid AV Classic Ice Blue fan from the get-go and have recently had the pleasure of adding the green Pure Sport splash to my collection. In the past I have used the Ice Sport, but it sucked. Read: my shaves sucked.

This article was the final push I needed to get out and pick up the AV Musk, Ice Sport, Balm, and Skin Bracer. For less than $20, why not?

IzowSs9mNOM

:biggrin:

BUCCANEER
06-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Loved the review!!!! I couldn't agree more!!:001_smile

masonjarjar
06-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Wow, if the Brut ASB is better than the Nivea Extra Soothing, I could probably live with the scent. Probably not every day, but there are those days when I *really* need a good balm.

I always figured the Nivea Hydrating Gel was shaving goo. Go figure.

momo360
06-23-2008, 08:05 AM
"Who told you to put the balm on!?"

If you remember, it was a Nancy Boy balm on top of that!

OldSaw
06-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks Joel. Nice work.

I know the Nivea is not high on your list, but it is about the only locally available unscented ASB, which is something that many prefer.

rafikz
06-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Great job Joel,

Thanks!!!

Do you think it will be possible to add the following in your review?

- Aqua Velva Original Sport (Green); I know it's not available in the U.S, but it's worth mentioning to Canadian B&Bers

- L'Oreal Max Balm; great stuff

Limey
06-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Joel - nicely done and enjoyable to read. I look forward to part II! :biggrin:

Rubens
06-23-2008, 08:50 AM
true that you can find excellent inexpensive products in your usual supermarket... and some of them you wouldn't expect them to be this good! for example, the RILANJA shaving cream manufactured by the european Schlecker drugstores.. it just cost 0,79 euro cents the tube. Or the superb LaToja family of products.. roughly 1,5 euro the shaving stick and 1,8 the shaving cream tube. Even a good aftershave like Floid, cost just 5 euro! It's perfectly possible to survive 100% without internet shopping in this sense. Now I only wish there were some locally available blades that were good enough! Not Wilkinson, Persona or Gillette for me...

BroJohn
06-23-2008, 10:58 AM

+1

I don't know why this AV Balm is hard to find, but it is. Last time I saw it on the shelves I cleaned them out --took their last three bottles.

Now on a different note, there's one very cheap, but truly great product you left out.

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=13114

Barbasol 'Brisk' aftershave. This stuff is GREAT, super mentholated, smells nice, and I found it at a local dollar-type store for $1.50 for a 7oz bottle. Used up that bottle and haven't seen it recently. But when I find it again, I'm going to 'load up'. Did I mention that this is a GREAT PRODUCT?

-- John Gehman

Dharion
06-23-2008, 11:32 AM
http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=13107Just bought a bottle 5 mins ago :biggrin: This product is awesome, I use it as a post shave treatment right before I put the AS on. It reduces the sting and is quite handy when you don't want to use a balm but get the moisturizing effect of it.

cachorros
06-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Last time I saw it on the shelves I cleaned them out --took their last three bottles.

Oh, so that is the reason the stuff is so hard to find. :biggrin:

norman931
06-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Barbasol 'Brisk' aftershave. This stuff is GREAT, super mentholated, smells nice, and I found it at a local dollar-type store for $1.50 for a 7oz bottle. Used up that bottle and haven't seen it recently. But when I find it again, I'm going to 'load up'. Did I mention that this is a GREAT PRODUCT?

-- John Gehman

This is available at my local Dollar General Store. The scent is similar to Mennen Skin Bracer, but stronger and, as John says, even more menthol. Also for a buck fifty, the "Classic Scent" which is like Brut. I keep one or the other of these around for days when I'm just around the house.

Chuckaluck
06-23-2008, 01:08 PM
great post! I love the Brut balm, I will try the Mennen out soon.

thirdeye
06-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks Joel, I really need to get back to the classics. The always worked great before I found B&B....:blushing:

DirtyDave
06-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Good post on a good subject.

One more possible balm to consider is Corn Huskers. No scent to speak of, but is sure does a fine job of moisturing, never greasy and it is under $4.00 at most places.

sanuginz
06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
A good way to test out the Aqua Velva in Wal-Mart is to take it from the shelf, open it, smell it, set the cap down and put a lil' dab in your hands and slap your face.

rafikz
06-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I felt the AV Ice Balm was more moisturizing than the Brut balm

( the AV has Shea Butter too, and Castor Oil)

s&g'sdad
06-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Nice review. It's nice to see average joe priced products reviewed. I would have to add the Nivea replenishing balm to the list. It seems to really tone my face after a shave and all but disappears within 30 minutes, save for the scent. My wife also happens to like the smell, which is always a plus! Can't wait for part 2.

Aaron

gatorfan
06-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Great review, I like all of the AV products (although SWMBO has her preference).

I just purchased the Aqua Velva Ice Sport (the green stuff) at my local CVS drugstore here in Phoenix, I paid just over $4 for it.

johnniegold
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Great stuff Joel.

I love using the drug store stuff after a Saturday afternoon shave. :thumbup1:

Duckster
06-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Great stuff Joel.

I love using the drug store stuff after a Saturday afternoon shave. :thumbup1:

Blue Skin Bracer and blue Old Spice?... Cool! :cool:
I never seen them before.

Holton181
06-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Was this for ASBs and moisturisers only on purpose? If not, what happened to Noxema?

Doc4
06-23-2008, 06:17 PM
A couple of other recommendations for folks in Canada:

2) Nivea shaving cream - available at most Shoppers Drug Marts

this used to be Florena shave cream. If you look hard, you can still find a few stores that sell Florena side by side with the Nivea ... well, someone has to clear out the old stock, right??

I've always been really impressed with this cream (the Florena, that is) and am starting to come around to the scent. Hopefully the Nivea isn't reformulated, just (pardon me, Coates fans) repackaged.

htownmmm
06-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Way to go on the review Joel! Just the other day, I was fondling the bottle of AV on the shelf and debating- I guess the debate is over!

marty

Suzuki
06-23-2008, 09:01 PM
this used to be Florena shave cream. If you look hard, you can still find a few stores that sell Florena side by side with the Nivea ... well, someone has to clear out the old stock, right??

I've always been really impressed with this cream (the Florena, that is) and am starting to come around to the scent. Hopefully the Nivea isn't reformulated, just (pardon me, Coates fans) repackaged.

I think it was always the same stuff.

monkeyman
06-23-2008, 09:14 PM
I was putting these things into the "Grandpa Goodies" category and thinking they weren't of quality for DE shaving so thanks for the post telling me otherwise. I think I'll go jump in the Jeep and go down to the local Walgreen's and pick some of this up tonight.

I see that some are talking about Pinaud's. I bought some of that and then got rid of it simply because it had alcohol in it and it's supposed to dry out your face which isn't good.

Is alcohol really such a big enemy? I would think in the Summer it wouldn't be a big deal but Winter usage could pose a problem.

Off to go get some good smellin' stinky stuff.

TimmyBoston
06-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Great post Joel. AV Blue is now my go to aftershave. It's great stuff.

jhclare
06-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Great post - But anyone care to post some equally good products available in the UK? Most of these are US based I think, I've not seen any of these before (with possible exception of the Nivea).

I'm jealous of you guys across the pond that have these great products in your local stores!

John

rm71
06-24-2008, 03:37 AM
Great post - But anyone care to post some equally good products available in the UK? Most of these are US based I think, I've not seen any of these before (with possible exception of the Nivea).

I'm jealous of you guys across the pond that have these great products in your local stores!

John

That goes for Australia too! I wish I could try Pinaud and Acqua Velva.

Conrad
06-24-2008, 06:59 AM
This is a great post. I'd like to throw in a word about Thayer's Witch Hazel. I find this to be a very effective astringent, and it has good moisturizing properties. It is almost odorless, which means that you can follow with any fragrance you might want without running into problems. The only downside is that I experience on off "taste" for a moment after use, even if I don't get any in my mouth. It must be related to the scent, which to my nose is barely discernable. Anyway, it's dirt cheap and works very well.

dgauvreau
06-24-2008, 07:39 AM

+1 - I picked up some van Der Hagen at Walgreens and made a little shave stick out of it. Neat stuff - very clean, soapy scent to it. Also, quite a few of these things can be picked up at drugstore.com for a decent price - I grabbed some when I ordered the new cremo cream from them.

norman931
06-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Was this for ASBs and moisturisers only on purpose? If not, what happened to Noxema?

I assume you're referring to Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream, in the little blue plastic jar. Many of us use this in the same manner as Proraso Pre-Post, which is a very similar product. Good stuff, and cheap.

BroJohn
06-24-2008, 08:44 AM
I assume you're referring to Noxzema Deep Cleansing Cream, in the little blue plastic jar. Many of us use this in the same manner as Proraso Pre-Post, which is a very similar product. Good stuff, and cheap.

+1

Well worth the $4 or so for a huge jar at your local supermarket or drugstore.

-- John Gehman

Mainecanefan
06-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Great review. It's because of reviews like this that I've found myself lurking around the AS aisle in the grocery store unscrewing the caps to AV, Brut, etc. Brut took me right back to my childhood but I ain't that nostalgic to wear it daily. I'll have to keep sniffing the AV to see if it worth adding to my repertoire. Of course, I think the folks at Hannaford are getting a tad worried about me.

sanuginz
06-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Great review. It's because of reviews like this that I've found myself lurking around the AS aisle in the grocery store unscrewing the caps to AV, Brut, etc. Brut took me right back to my childhood but I ain't that nostalgic to wear it daily. I'll have to keep sniffing the AV to see if it worth adding to my repertoire. Of course, I think the folks at Hannaford are getting a tad worried about me.

You're not alone brother...

ScottyD
06-24-2008, 10:46 AM
I have been using and recommending AV Ice Balm and Ice Sport to friends and new wetshavers for a long time. I still have and enjoy wearing my other more expensive and exotic products like Spiek and Musgo Real but it's hard to beat the quality and value of the homegrown and easily obtainable Aqua Velva products. I will always have a few bottles of Aqua Velva on hand for a quick splash when I don't feel like using the "fancy" stuff. They really are great products that deserve more attention and respect from the wet shaving community. Thanks for the great post and review.

THE FLASHING BLADE
06-24-2008, 12:44 PM
I have been getting some seriously nice shaves with Erasmic and Palmolive and a Bodyshop synthetic brush

Body shop do some nice stuff but its very expensive

I tend to find the small independent chemists have a better range of DE wet shaving gear as opposed to the Pharmacy chains in the UK,

:lol:to me all the aqua velva products seem very exotic:lol:

but thats because I'm the other side of the puddle

I'm still adjusting to the Merkur adjustable I bought just under a week ago but I only recently started wet shaving on the cheap using a wilkinson sword classic and palmolive shaving cream, so I agree entirely - cheap doesn't necessarily mean nasty, a decent blade and thorough preparation contribute a lot to a good shave.

nuff said - excelsior!

Chairman Nemo
06-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Nice Review Joel. I agree with your choices. :001_smile

WETSHAVERS MUST RESPECT THE CLASSICS!!!

mjc3331
06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the post. I will definitely have to try some of these.

DunEdinRanger
06-24-2008, 04:22 PM
I noticed the local CVS has the Blue Aqua Velva in glass bottles.

citizensoldierny
06-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Great review but where's the Old spice?

STINGYBRIMSandBOURBON
06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
After spending $24 for the taylor of old bond street lavender soap in wooden bowl I was dissapointed with it's lather. The $1 bar of williams soap is great. Granted it doesn't smell the best but it works and lathers perfectly. I think I will stick with it!!!

masonjarjar
06-24-2008, 06:56 PM
After spending $24 for the taylor of old bond street lavender soap in wooden bowl I was dissapointed with it's lather. The $1 bar of williams soap is great. Granted it doesn't smell the best but it works and lathers perfectly. I think I will stick with it!!!

I shaved with Williams for years and never had a problem generating great lather. I might be insane, but I think it works best if you use it every day. The puck stays moist and it just lathers better. Since I have all this other "stuff" around, when I do use Williams it's just not as good... it was the same as the lather I used to get every time I'd start a new puck. Too thin. I think there's something to this. But I like my other stuff too much to go back to using Williams every day..

-Mason

Mr. Igg
06-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I shaved with Williams for years and never had a problem generating great lather. I might be insane, but I think it works best if you use it every day. The puck stays moist and it just lathers better. Since I have all this other "stuff" around, when I do use Williams it's just not as good... it was the same as the lather I used to get every time I'd start a new puck. Too thin. I think there's something to this. But I like my other stuff too much to go back to using Williams every day..

-Mason

I've also had very good use rubbing the puck on my face as a shaving stick. I'd been disappointed with the lather previously (probably operator error), but the shave stick approach works very, very well.

Mr. Igg
06-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Joel,

You've obviously contributed to B&B immeasurably. In many ways, though, this write up is one of your most valuable.

Thanks!

kmarko
06-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Is alcohol really such a big enemy? I would think in the Summer it wouldn't be a big deal but Winter usage could pose a problem.

I've been wondering the same thing. A lot of people (including ostensible experts like Greenberg in his original MSNBC column on wet shaving) advise against using alcohol-based AS, but is this due just to the burning or drying?

I've actually become a witch hazel fan and I know Dickenson's (I don't really mind the smell) has something like 14% alcohol, which seems to be too little to have any negative affect. Anyone know what the alcohol content of AV is? What sort of moisturizers does AV have or is it merely a cheap cologne?

OldSaw
06-24-2008, 11:17 PM

John

And here I thought you fellows had all the good stuff.

kongjie
06-25-2008, 08:30 AM
If I walked into my office smelling of Brut I'd get laughed right out of the building!

+1

These products may work well, but for me they're unusable because of the fragrances. They smell like cheap, overpowering aftershave--Nivea excepted because I've never smelled it. I can't even use drug store deodorants with the typical fragrances like "sport", "ice" etc.

masonjarjar
06-25-2008, 09:12 AM
+1

These products may work well, but for me they're unusable because of the fragrances. They smell like cheap, overpowering aftershave--Nivea excepted because I've never smelled it. I can't even use drug store deodorants with the typical fragrances like "sport", "ice" etc.

I've found that most of them, when used properly aren't noticeable beyond a few feet and fade quickly. Of course, if YOU can't stand then scent, then that's what is most important.

One notable exception.. Pinaud Clubman. If I use the same amount as my typical Aqua Velva application, it's about 4 times as strong and definately does announce itself rather loudly to those in my immediate vicinity.

-Mason

burnwood
06-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Nivea hydrogel does neither cool or moisturize as it says right on the bottle. I was very disappointed in this product. I was looking for the coolness. I didnt even feel it when I applied it. Booo.
Wouldn't buy any Aqua Velva products.
Hope part 2 is better.

burnwood
06-25-2008, 12:36 PM
A good way to test out the Aqua Velva in Wal-Mart is to take it from the shelf, open it, smell it, set the cap down and put a lil' dab in your hands and slap your face.

retail theft

burnwood
06-25-2008, 12:38 PM
+1

Ditto to the 10th power

King of Kailua
06-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Maud is poppin'jabs:biggrin: !

scoopster
06-25-2008, 12:56 PM
+1

I found that to be true for Brut and Old Spice but not the case for my prescioussssss Aqua Velva. For me the scent fades quickly enough that I don't need to worry about broadcasting a ten foot scent radius around my poor co-workers or havinh funny interactions with EDT's on the occasion I choose to use them.

The Ice Sport and Musk AV scents do tend to linger for me. I take it easy on their application and don't try to add any additional scents to my person.

Doc4
06-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Nivea hydrogel does neither cool or moisturize as it says right on the bottle. I was very disappointed in this product. I was looking for the coolness. I didnt even feel it when I applied it. Booo.
Wouldn't buy any Aqua Velva products.
Hope part 2 is better.

retail theft

Ditto to the 10th power

Oh man, this "Multiquote" button rocks!!

Why no 'velva for ya, man?

masonjarjar
06-25-2008, 01:17 PM
The Ice Sport and Musk AV scents do tend to linger for me. I take it easy on their application and don't try to add any additional scents to my person.

I put the AV Musk in an atomiser and use it as cologne. For me, the scent is too strong for direct face application.

-Mason

Mr. Gillette
06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Great stuff, Joel! I've been an avid AV Classic Ice Blue fan from the get-go and have recently had the pleasure of adding the green Pure Sport splash to my collection. In the past I have used the Ice Sport, but it sucked. Read: my shaves sucked.

This article was the final push I needed to get out and pick up the AV Musk, Ice Sport, Balm, and Skin Bracer. For less than $20, why not?

IzowSs9mNOM

:biggrin:

Seems to me the green Pure Sport came at quite a cost...next time add 5 drops of yellow food coloring to the blue...you'll see...if you play with it right it will be green, too!

burnwood
06-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Oh man, this "Multiquote" button rocks!!

Why no 'velva for ya, man?

how does the multiquote button even work?

No velva for me man. The scent is just too drugstore for me. I like a little more ladies man scent. I mean lady's man scent, (sorry honey).

Mr. Gillette
06-25-2008, 02:41 PM
how does the multiquote button even work?

No velva for me man. The scent is just too drugstore for me. I like a little more ladies man scent. I mean lady's man scent, (sorry honey).

Is this YOU, BURNWOOD? The Ladies' Man?

burnwood
06-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Is this YOU, BURNWOOD? The Ladies' Man?

Sitting right across from me right now at work, is one officer we call the Ladies Man. He talks to the ladies on the phone just like that guy does.

jtc33
06-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I find the thread interesting. Do any of these products have UVA or UVB sunscreen protection properties?

JT

Lance
06-26-2008, 12:59 AM
Here's one that is pretty common around here. Burt's Bee's Toner (http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=-34&categoryId=10004&subCategoryId=-60&catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&langId=-1). It doesn't smell like a pharmacy or my father or grandfather, and the scent is gone in about 30 seconds. It's good if you have oily skin like I do since it uses lighter oils. It comes in a good sized glass bottle and kind of looks like a small bottle of Absolute Vodka.

Also +1 on the Williams soap. And as far as lather, I found when I tried a nice soft badger brush it didn't want to build too well but I prefer my ol' boar bristle anyway and it seems to lather great for the stiffer brush. Yeah, for a buck it does as well or better than a lot of $15 soaps I've tried.:001_rolle

Mr. Gillette
06-26-2008, 05:24 AM
Sitting right across from me right now at work, is one officer we call the Ladies Man. He talks to the ladies on the phone just like that guy does.

This might be the way the Ladies Man keeps himself clean shaven...

Sounds harsh, but I'd probably rather use this stuff than an Atra!

MAGIC SHAVING POWDER
Size: 5 oz

Do not use this products with a Razor
Timing is critical to avoid excessive irritation. For external use only. If powder or the mixture gets into eyes, rinse repeatedly with water. Magic Shaving Powder is used only to remove facial hair

Mr. Todd
06-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Great Topic Joel... very informative... thanks!

Shady24
06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Nice job Joel!! The Brut ASB is awesome!! Been using it for about 2 months now...

jss
06-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Thank you.

joel
06-26-2008, 07:02 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. A lot of people (including ostensible experts like Greenberg in his original MSNBC column on wet shaving) advise against using alcohol-based AS, but is this due just to the burning or drying?

I've actually become a witch hazel fan and I know Dickenson's (I don't really mind the smell) has something like 14% alcohol, which seems to be too little to have any negative affect. Anyone know what the alcohol content of AV is? What sort of moisturizers does AV have or is it merely a cheap cologne?

Greenberg spent a few months on the forums - and learned everything from the forums.... if he's an expert - so are you my friend :wink:

In any case - alcohol based aftershaves are just fine and dandy. While true SOME aftershaves can be a bit drying, for those with normal, or oily skin, this shouldn't be a problem... if anything it'll be a good thing for the oily folks. Only those with SUPER dry skin shouldn't use an alchy based splash - and even then, we're just talking about the drying splashes. Many splashes contain moisturizing oils/glycerine and other additives, which actually makes them moisturizing and work fine for those with dry skin. It really depends on the splash (the review section here is a HUGE help).

To answer your question - AV isn't merely a cheap cologne, it has glycerine and a few other goodies in it to provide a bit of moisturization. Buy a bottle and find out for yourself.... hell, a bottle is less than a gallon of gas :lol:

kmarko
06-26-2008, 10:59 PM
To answer your question - AV isn't merely a cheap cologne, it has glycerine and a few other goodies in it to provide a bit of moisturization. Buy a bottle and find out for yourself.... hell, a bottle is less than a gallon of gas :lol:

Thanks for the info. I just added AV to my shopping list tomorrow...like you said, sure can't beat the price. :001_smile Now, for a real nostalgia trip, I'll have to find some English Leather. :smile:

masonjarjar
06-27-2008, 06:53 AM
Greenberg spent a few months on the forums - and learned everything from the forums.... if he's an expert - so are you my friend :wink:

Corey is an expert on whatever he decides to be an expert on that day..

:lol:

ChrisLTD
06-27-2008, 08:30 AM
I bought some of the AV Classic Ice Blue stuff yesterday... it better be worth it! :lol:

OldSaw
06-27-2008, 08:50 AM

What isn't these days?!? :lol:

euicho
06-27-2008, 11:12 AM
The Pinaud Bay Rum

Just a few ducats at Longs

Whats Longs? :001_huh:

Like a Rite-Aid or Walgreens? (I'm in New England)

As an aside, and decently large grocery store should have many of these if you can't find them at your local drug/pharmacy.

King of Kailua
06-27-2008, 11:18 AM

Yeah, Longs Drug Store is like a Rite-Aid. Something a little smaller than a Walgreens. I think they are oriented to the west coast.

Off topic but.....I wish one of you New Englander's would build a Friendly's out here. I am craving a peach melba sundae right now!

GarageBoy
06-27-2008, 08:28 PM
How's old spice?

jd21
06-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Great posting! I will agree with the majority of your product recommendations. Not all "higher-end" products are superior to drug and department store brands. Having tried many expensive brands like Zirh, Biotherm, and Clinique, I have realized that they aren't that much better than what I could find at a Wal-Mart.

One line that I find is quite effective is Neutrogena Men. Their face wash and triple protect face lotion both yield great results and prep and soothe the skin respectfully. The skin clearing shave cream isn't very good, but the other products are very cost-effective.

jss
06-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the value based references..

dreadpirate
06-29-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the info. Even though I have some of the (well - relatively) "expensive" stuff - I also have a couple items on your list as well. So I guess I can come out of the closet and admit it!!

ancora imparo
06-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Oh, great! After making fun of Aqua Velva (for no other reason than it is Aqua Velva) for a long time, I'm now going to have to give these products another look. Thanks for the post, Joel. I await the second part of your "series."

norman931
06-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I gave the Brut balm a try, and it worked very well. If used correctly (sparingly), the Brut scent is barely noticeable and fades quickly. And, it is MUCH cheaper than GFT Skin Food.

Eighties
07-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Great reviews!!!

I find that I like the inexpensive stuff all the way on up to the high end stuff equally well. It just depends on my mood and what I might be doing that day.

I eagerly await part 2.

Thanks Joel!

-80s

CloseShave
07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
How many members remember " The Acqua Velva Man" ad? It's right up there with the ship that sails the ocean.

Robxcarlson
07-02-2008, 12:57 PM

Walgreen's carries the Ice Balm here in TX, at least in the stores that I've been in, but I can't seem to ever find pinaud bay rum in a Walgreen's...

Christoph
07-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I loved this collection of reviews and I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

AQUA VELVA --- I love Aqua Velva. Its got to be the greatest aftershave of all time! If this stuff were put in a fancy bottle, given a European name, and priced at $75 people would flock to it. But it needs none of that, and I think its just fabulous in its simple, transparent flask. It smells of history, of cleanliness, decency, and strength. You get so many images of the "Aqua Velva man" and they're all totally cool guys who you'd be happy to be mistaken for any day.

BRUT AFTERSHAVE BALM -- I like the scent, but that's not what this is about. This product performs like something 6 times the price. Just fantastic!

NIVEA - nearly everything they make is outstanding. Their canned creams are not my first choice, but if you wanted canned creams then that's probably the way to go. I keep one in my travel kit for pure convenience.

GoTeeGuy
07-04-2008, 08:04 PM
I've been using Old Spice (Original) exclusively for the past 5yrs (never used AS very much before that)... but this thread has reminded me of when I was just beginning to shave -- back when I was only 15yrs old or so -- and these were the types of products I would have used. So, just to relive those golden years, today I picked up some Skin Bracer (cost $2.87) and Aqua Velva (cost $3.19) at my local Zellers which I will be enjoying after my shave tomorrow morning. :001_rolle

OldSaw
07-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Since I left my John Michael Kohler ASB (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25151&highlight=john+michael+kohler) back home I picked up a tube of Brute ASB. I tried it today and really liked the way it felt on my face, but my wife can't stand the smell. I tried handing it off to several sibs, in-laws, & cousins, but no one wants it. All the women at our gathering disliked the smell.

So despite the fact that it is a great performer it is getting tossed.

DarkCanuck
07-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Great review! Love the Velva blue. That was my first aftershave.

GoTeeGuy
07-05-2008, 07:16 PM
OK... so I tried out my Skin Bracer today -- WOW!!! :eek: That stuff made my face tingle for about 1hr. I don't find any tingle at all with Proraso, but this stuff sure did the trick. I'm not all that big on the scent, but I did find it tended to fade after a few hours. I'll definitely keep this in my rotation.

masonjarjar
07-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I saw Skin Bracer "Cool Spice" in a store today. I don't know if it's new or not, hadn't noticed it before. I took a sniff.. it's sort of like, Old Spice crossed with Pinaud Bay Rum. But sweeter. I would use it, except my wife doesn't like anything that's even close to Old Spice..

jjw
07-08-2008, 02:20 AM
I love Ingrams, available dirt-cheap from Superdrug here in the UK. Superdrug, whose image is cheap-and-cheerful, seems to have a better range of serious shaving products than Boots, whose image is based on service and quality (supposedly).

Mr. Igg
07-09-2008, 04:28 PM
How's old spice?

In a word, "Terrific".

Philadelph
07-11-2008, 12:10 PM
I checked out the Brut ASB while I saw it at Rite Aid today and was about to pick it up when I decided to open the bottle to smell it- no good. That stuff really doesn't smell good at all (to me obviously). Still, after reading everyone rave about it, I'd like to try. Is there anyway to maybe mix in another AS lotion to mask the scent? Will an alcohol based AS mixed in totally defeat the purpose here?

VR6ofpain
07-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Joel-
What an awesome thread. Keep up the good work.

Awesome post! Too bad I can't find the Aqua Velva balm.Funny you should say that. I noticed the Long's Drug store near me putting them on clearance about 6 months ago. I bought the remaining 3 bottles. They never carried it again and I can't find it anywhere else. I was surprised to see someone selling 10 bottles on ebay. No one else bid and I won the auction, paying about $2.85 a bottle with shipping included, which was cheaper than the price at Longs. It was a good deal, but I may need to switch to something like Brut once I run out.

Like a Rite-Aid or Walgreens? (I'm in New England)
http://www.longs.com/

Yup. Though I find their prices better than Walgreens and Rite-Aid, which price everything like a stop-and-rob.

biminyrd
07-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Joel,
great review. I just picked up some skin bracer(longs drugs) and brut balm (walgreens) and had a wonderful straight shave, and the finish was so nice. Almost didn't need the brut after the skin bracer.
thanks for the tips.
aaron

ands
07-13-2008, 07:10 PM
i love that skin bracer! perfect for tropical climes and very old school barbershop. i've also seen brut splashes but i bought the mennen after reading the post.

i've also liked beauty formulas ORIGINAL line that i've found at drug stores and groceries. they smell very good. i liked the scent of their hair cream way more than brylcreem. i also liked the shave cream scent better than KMF lavender.

student101
07-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Based on this review, I picked up some Aqua Velva Ice Blue and some Aqua Velva Ice Balm. I tried the splash today, and I have to say... it really, really stinks. It made my face burn for a while and made me stink for hours. I had to go wash the smell off my face. How do people like this stuff. So awful. Now I'm scared to try the AV balm.

GoTeeGuy
07-18-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm weak... I just couldn't help myself... My wife thinks I've lost it (again), but tonight I just HAD to buy all of the products reviewed by Joel (plus a few other drug store finds) and just love the variety they've added to my routine. Now instead of just smelling like Old Spice, I can use my Skin Bracer (green or blue), my AV (green, blue, or musk), or my Brut. I have to say though... I really do love the Brut and Skin Bracer (blue). I can't wait to see what I'll wear tomorrow!!!! :lol:

Thanks, Joel, for reminding me that there are a variety of excellent products just down the road. I, for one, cannot justify spending a small fortune on imported AS, EDT, soaps, creams, et al... not being the sole provider for my wife and 15 month old daughter. These may not seem fancy so some -- but they certainly work like a charm, fit my bill, and put a little bounce in my step!

whiskerlips
07-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Picked up Skin Bracer today after a pretty horrid shave with the new 39C, my fault of course. I had used the alum block, rinsed, styptic pencil, rinsed, several swanky a/s balms. My neck was not feeling good. So before me and the lady went biking we stopped at a Wal-Mart so she could buy some skin products. I asked her to grab a bottle of Skin Bracer due to this review, since I already knew I didn't like the smell of AV. Plus, the term "serious menthol punch" hasn't left my mind for days. So I immediatly slapped some on since I knew I would be sweating and getting dirt all over me for the few next hours. Wow, this stuff is nice and the scent doesn't seem to linger. My skin was instantly calmed. I just need to find a nice glass bottle to transfer this to.

ands
07-19-2008, 11:56 PM
i put mine in atomizer.:smile:

rafikz
07-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Based on this review, I picked up some Aqua Velva Ice Blue and some Aqua Velva Ice Balm. I tried the splash today, and I have to say... it really, really stinks. It made my face burn for a while and made me stink for hours. I had to go wash the smell off my face. How do people like this stuff. So awful. Now I'm scared to try the AV balm.

I'm not fond of the splash either.

But the Balm is alcohol-free, is soothing and smells great

Not A Nice Person
07-21-2008, 09:01 AM
I can barely smell the AV Ice Blue a/s at all, but the cooling lasts for a loooooong time, and it definitely makes my skin feel great.

For something with a scent, Pinaud Clubman. Nostalgia in a bottle. :biggrin:

NANP™

Hoos
07-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Some thoughts on the Nivea Moisturizing Gel:

1. Walgreen's is running it as a special. Nearly 50% off. At least in California.

2. I bought one.

3. It has a marine/citrusy kind of scent that does not fade. I hate having my face smell. It's kind of sharp and, after an hour, I had to wash it off.

4. It does absorb quickly (also is SPF 25) and doesn't leave a tacky feel behind. Takes a few minutes though.

I guess I was expecting it to be fragrance free. Why do these companies (other than aftershaves/colognes) think we want our skin products to stink like some cheap wharf walker? :confused::smile:

Oldhope
07-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Whatever happened to part 2?

Tolofish
07-27-2008, 02:32 PM
When is the second part coming out?

AndyG
07-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Joel,

When are we going to see part 2.

Andy

AndyG
07-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Hey Joel,

Look what I found Some (Brut saving gel with Aloe & shea butter) at Dollar General for $1.

kmarko
08-01-2008, 08:51 PM
So I've become an AV convert and can find it in all my local mega-stores (WMart, Albertson's, etc.), but just where do I find the Brut AV balm? I've looked at half-dozen big-boxes and none of them have it. They all have the Brut AS/splash, but none carry the balm. Is there a national retailer that stocks this stuff?

shefler29
09-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Where is Part 2?

buzo71
09-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Ya know what I found at Walgreens the other day- English Leather. I remember that stuff from when I was a kids- I had to pick some up!

brg
12-20-2008, 09:17 AM
I bought a tube of Rilanja cream today for 59 Euro cents. It just can't get cheaper than that :001_smile

AsylumGuido
12-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I have to add Florida Water Cologne, which can be found at Walgreen's, to the list. It makes for a great citrus after shave for an extremely reasonable price. The scent is refreshing, but doesn't linger too long, and it gives that pleasant burn.

http://www.aynigroup.com/marketplace/florida_water/files/pl_301_detail_1.png

Limey
01-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Aqua Velva Ice Balm has be discontinued....

VR6ofpain
02-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Aqua Velva Ice Balm has been discontinued....
Definitely a bummer.

BurkDarkpatches
02-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Bump.

There was never a Part II to this, right?

Eighties
04-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Here here!!!

What happened to part 2????

TSWebster
04-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Everything that was going to be in part 2 has been discontinued :tongue_sm

Joshua Da Silva
04-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Everything that was going to be in part 2 has been discontinued :tongue_sm

:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:: frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

No replacements?

Fernando
06-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Nice Post, excellent piece of advice for newbies on a budget.

Where is the Clubman Pinaud????

RILEY
08-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Based on Joel's excellent review, tomorrow I am going to pick up a bottle of the Classic Blue & the Ice Sport. I have been very slow to coming around to liking the scent of Aqua Velva. Everytime I am at the drugstore I take a whiff of it. As a result, I have found the scent has grown on me & I am finding it irresistable. I am ready to experience what the Velva has to offer. :w00t:

The whole enchilada.