PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Jemico, what do you think of it?

Jacques13
03-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi
I was waiting to buy a TM strop in a few weeks and yesterday (my birthday) a friend gave me a 23"x2" Jemico "Russia" made in Germany strop.:001_smile
It got canvas on one side and beautiful brown/reddish leather on the other.
It as an leather handle.

He also gave me a bottle of Fromm #364 Strop Dressing:001_smile. How much of this dressing should I put on and how often.

How does this strop comparable to TM strop's?? (I know TM are tops).

Thanks

Jacques
Quebec, Canada

Tony Miller
03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Jaques,
I had one of those myself and liked it very much. I never dressed mine but simply used it plain. Jemico and Dovo both buff the surface of their leather to achieve a little more draw. My only beef with the Jemico was that is cupped within days due to humidity. Maybe the dressing would prevent some of that?

Tony

Jacques13
03-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks Mr Miller.
Honest input form a guy how knows ihis stuff.
Still a TM strop is not out of the picture, just saving up for a top of the line one.

Jacques

newson
03-30-2008, 11:54 PM
to jacques13:

i've had two jemico's, both of the type you describe. the last one i've been using for around five years. the only comment i can make is that i never had a lot of joy with the linen side, and just recently applied some of the dovo paste for the canvas,linen. i'm still undecided on the results.

on the russian leather side, i just rub it several times with the ball of my hand before i strop. this serves both to conditioner the leather with the oil that rubs of my hand, and also to warm it and make the leather more supple.