PDA

View Full Version : Item of the Week 8/12 - Talcum Powder (post-shave, brand not important)

Toothpick
08-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Hello to all.

This will be the twenty-fifth in a series of "item of the week (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/333369-item-of-the-week)" threads that I am promoting in the general shave discussion forum.
The rules:

It is very simple. Use the item of the week for the week that it is scheduled and post your thoughts on that item in its thread.
Everything else in your shave line-up may be rotated at will, but keep the featured item of the week as part of each shave.
The weeks will start on Monday and end on Saturday. Sunday could be a free day, or an overlap day for the next week or whatever.

The twenty-fifth featured item of the week will be Talcum Powder. Post-Shave, brand not important.

Toothpick
08-11-2013, 09:03 AM
This could be interesting. I don't recall seeing much talk of Talcum Powder around here.

what ya got and how do you use it?!

Bk124tt
08-11-2013, 09:06 AM
This one is easy for me! Been using Pinaud talc for years and years! I never really used it in my shave though, I always post shower take a bath in it! I could never only use deodorant/antiperspirant! I always need a top off with the powder and it smells great too!

Toothpick
08-11-2013, 09:11 AM
I've never once tried any type of talcum powder. Post shave or otherwise.

I'm curious how you would incorporate it in to the shave. Use it instead of an aftershave? or before your aftershave?

chuckman
08-11-2013, 12:37 PM
They auctioned off John Wayne's shaving kit last summer and inside was a plastic container of Johnson's baby powder. That's what my dad used for many years, my wife used on our kids "behinds", and I have in my travel bag........whatever works.

RobW
08-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Interesting...I'm in on this one. About a month ago I bought a package of vintage Old Spice stuff from ebay. Included were two bottles of aftershave lotion, a bottle of talc (50's style "Ship Mt. Vernon" (http://www.oldspicecollectibles.com/Bottles/traditional%20bottles.html) I think..) and a smaller travel bottle of talc (http://www.oldspicecollectibles.com/Bottles/travel%20bottles.html) (early 60's..?). All were at least half full of product.

I've only used the talc two or three times but will dip into the bottle again for this week's shaves. There's always a great reason to dip into the vintage Old Spice stock! It has a very light ...ummm...powdery fragrance that gives the skin a smooth matte feel. It's quite nice. I put it on after the aftershave as a last step. It adds another step to the post-shave routine, but I do like the way it makes my skin feel.

wagstaff
08-11-2013, 02:57 PM
I have some Pinaud talc, too. How, for what purpose, is this used with shaving? (i.e., I know it is.... is it after a splash dries? In lieu of splash? Is it just to keep one's collars sweat-free? What?)
A related question -- many powders advertise being "talc free!" like that's something desireable. Is it? For whom?

RobW
08-11-2013, 03:26 PM
I have some Pinaud talc, too. How, for what purpose, is this used with shaving? (i.e., I know it is.... is it after a splash dries? In lieu of splash? Is it just to keep one's collars sweat-free? What?)
A related question -- many powders advertise being "talc free!" like that's something desireable. Is it? For whom?

For the first part, I find that it keeps my skin smooth and soft after a shave. Secondly, the few times I have used talc, I use an alcohol-based splash first, then put on talc once the AS dries (~1 minute or so).

DISCLAIMER - I REALLY KNOW NOTHING SUBSTANTIAL ABOUT THE NEXT BIT OF INFO I'M ABOUT TO PUT OUT THERE TO ANSWER YOUR LAST QUESTION, OTHER THAN WHAT I READ ON THE INTERNET...TAKE IT WITH AS BIG A GRAIN OF SALT AS YOU LIKE.

Lastly, talcum powder gets a little bit of a bad reputation because it can potentially be contaminated with asbestos (a carcinogen) and so the American Cancer Society has done some (*inconclusive*) studies about linking the use of talc powder to different cancers. Keeping a product "talc free" keeps "easy-to-worry" consumers from being concerned about this possibility.

sarimento1
08-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Easy, now back from the trip, I can play in this one.
Almost like a 'wild card' so we can play around with other elements as we like!

The Clubman talc is by far, the quintessential 'barbershop' fragrance.
Just about every barber has used it over my (long!) lifespan.

Interesting to note the label on the vintage Palmolive talc,
"Removes After Shave Shine"!
Anyway, I'll probably be using this more as a body thing/deodorant.
Hey, I LIKE an After Shave Shine!

JaxJim
08-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I sure wouldn't use it on my mug, but does the Gold Bond spray stuff count? I checked and it does contain talc. The classic scent with menthol version rocks! :punk:

SocalRick
08-11-2013, 03:53 PM
I have Clubman talc and I'll be happy to use it this week! My barber uses it in a neck duster brush to clear away the hair clippings on my face and neck. The smell reminds me of my neighborhood barber shop from my childhood!

cryhavoc
08-11-2013, 04:33 PM
I use the green Gold Bond year round

http://www.goldbond.com/images/xs_powder_bottle_new.jpg

wagstaff
08-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks RobW and WiskyT. I think I'll pass on putting this stuff near my face. Breathing is already difficult for me.

sarimento1
08-11-2013, 08:37 PM
IOTW, any talc, Sunday, Aug 11th, 2013
Prep with shower and Brad's PSO.
Penhaligon's English Fern soap in bowl (old version) with Omega silvertip
Filarmonica 12 for two passes, touchup with EJ DE87 and SuperMax
Spritzes of EF EDT and a smear of IK shea cream
Oh, yes, a torso dusting of good ole Clubman talc.
Nice shave.
(Comment...the EF tallow soap was nice but dried a little on the face...probably needed more water!)

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=43680

Bcobu1102
08-11-2013, 11:38 PM
I actually used some Pinaud talcum on my face after a shower (shaved before all that when I went to the gym). Felt great and smelled great!

RobW
08-12-2013, 11:37 AM
I really like how this powder makes my face feel afterward. The Shulton Old Spice seems quite different than something like Johnson & Johnson baby powder...there is absolutely NO "dust" that gets kicked up when I shake it out of the bottle. I don't know if this is due to aging, or what, but it keeps a nice neat little pile in my hand that is very easy to apply to my face.

Other gear: Proraso pre-post (green); D-3 Red Tip SS; Astra SP (1); Simpsons Colonel X2L; Mystic Waters Wild Lavender; Shulton Old Spice AS

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=43686 (http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=43686)

Cobra0369
08-12-2013, 04:47 PM
I have an old can of Stetson Talcum powder. Used to use it when I used my electric razor.

Jefebadskin
08-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Ohhhh as a matter of fact, I use the Clubman Talc regularly including today! What do I think? I love it. Takes any irritation away, goes well with my Floid Blue, and is the best scent known to man. You created this thing just for me, basically.

Toothpick
08-12-2013, 06:52 PM
so gents.....when you use the talcum powder as aftershave (such as the old spice, or clubman) how does the moisture on your skin effect the powder? Do you simply assure that your face is throughly dried first?

or is there no effect at all?

RobW
08-12-2013, 07:01 PM
so gents.....when you use the talcum powder as aftershave (such as the old spice, or clubman) how does the moisture on your skin effect the powder? Do you simply assure that your face is throughly dried first?

or is there no effect at all?

I let the AS dry out for ~a minute or so first....doesn't have to be bone dry for application, I don't think.

Here's my routine:
1. Shave, CWR
2. Pat dry, start putting stuff away
3. slap on AS
4. Clean sink/brush
5. put on talc

My face is dry enough between steps where one product doesn't really affect another.

Jefebadskin
08-12-2013, 07:59 PM
It doesn't matter to me, the AS dries fast enough. I just rub it in. I wouldn't use it if you have dry skin. I love it because it keeps my oily skin nice and dry. Some say don't use if sensitive skin but I disagree. I have sensitive skin and it calms it down big time.

sarimento1
08-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Is no one shaving today??

sarimento1
08-13-2013, 07:18 PM
OK, I'll take a kick at the can.
IOTW, Talcum with something, Tuesday evening, Aug 13th, 2013
Prep face wash with Musgo Glyce and then smear of Maggards PSO
Blenheim Bouquet cream in Yoresh's heated scuttle and AOS silvertip brush
Vintage Le Coq DE with Souplex blade, two passes and some touchup
First shave with this 1930's French Le Coq, wow, it's really Aggressive and Effective
I have to take it slow and easy, almost like a straight edge!
But she shaves extremely close and smooth; just one little weeper.
After, cool water rinse and washcloth infused with Blenheim Bouquet A/S splash
And, a little dusting of BB Talc
Really close and BBS shave!! Great BB scent!

sarimento1
08-14-2013, 06:04 PM
And nobody shaving today??

Toothpick
08-14-2013, 07:09 PM
And nobody shaving today??
I don't plan on it :blush:

I think your pic is so awesome everyone just threw their hands up "well that does it, i'm growing a beard this week" :lol:

AndroiDad75
08-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Pre: 25 Laps Cloth / 25 Leather
Prep: Hot Shower / Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub
Soap: Martin de Candre
Brush: Da Vinci 290
Razor: Lliam Morton & Son 6/8 Near Wedge
A/S: Pinaud Clubman
Talc: Pinaud Clubman Talc
Post A/S: 25 Laps Cloth / 50 Leather

Being new to SR shaving this was the best one I have had yet. Finished it off with a Pinaud Clubman Talc dusting of my face and neck. I really like the Pinaud Talc, but I don't seem to be using it as much lately. Probably because I have been trying other aftershaves, and it just seems to go with Clubman, so haven't used it with the other aftershaves.

sarimento1
08-14-2013, 09:26 PM
OK, gosh, glad I'm not alone!
Here's another evening shave, initially intended just a touchup after the Le Coq yesterday.
Probably I should have skipped totally!
Anyway, prepped with shower and Musgo Glyce face wash
Arlington cream + Yoresh scuttle + Kent BK8 silvertip
Puma Special 5/8 for a pass, then finished with EJ DE87
Don't know what I did wrong...just an irritating shave.
Maybe skin was still tender from prior shave, maybe the cream did not get enough water.
Or my scything with the Puma was a bit off. Who knows?
Not any redness nor any weepers. Just a little raw.
After, a nice cool washcloth infused with Arlington A/S.
And, while I tried a little GB powder, I then pulled out the Proraso menthol balm, which hit the spot.
Live and learn.

http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=43722&original=1

Mike H
08-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Great idea Jason, I have not used mine in a while.
Vintage Mennen Toilet Powder ca. 1978 in an 1878 replica container.

RobW
08-15-2013, 01:06 AM
An evening shave this time around...won't have time tomorrow morning and I've got a good 2.5 days of stubble going. Time for a shave!

Finished off a sampler of Mike's OCBP tonight (won't be ordering a full tin as I have two other full ones waiting) with the B&B Essential. Got 3.5 passes full of high quality lather that yielded a ~90% BBS with a Red Tip SS / Astra SP (2) combo. Ended up nicking a little acne hotspot (super stressed with dissertation defense coming up...) and had to break out the styptic for the first time in a long while. Nonetheless, pressed on and ended up with an irritation free shave otherwise. Finished with a healthy splash of Captain's Choice BR and topped off with some Shulton OS talc. I don't really want to keep adding steps to the shave routine, but I do enjoy the smooth matte finish the talc powder gives my skin....may have to go grab some Clubman talc once I run out of the vintage OS.

sarimento1
08-15-2013, 09:49 AM
neat vintage stuff!! like the a/s also!

Great idea Jason, I have not used mine in a while.
Vintage Mennen Toilet Powder ca. 1978 in an 1878 replica container.

ksblazer
08-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Pre: Razorock pro shave lube
Cream: C O Bigelow
Brush: Semogue OC 2012
Blade: Merkur 42c with an Astra SP blade
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Talc: Clubman

Got a great shave and my face feels great!!

SocalRick
08-15-2013, 04:55 PM
I keep forgetting to use the talc!

AndroiDad75
08-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Pre: 25 Laps Cloth / 50 Leather
Brush: Savile Row 3824
Post A/S: 25 Laps Cloth / 50 Leather

Pretty decent shave tonight. I am really starting to like Martin de Candre soap. I think I am starting to figure out how to lather it. Finished off the shave with some Clubman A/S followed up by the Clubman Talc on the face. I really like how it makes my skin soft and keeps the oil in check. I think I have to figure out what Talc to use when I am not using Clubman A/S.

sarimento1
08-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Let the face rest Thursday...might have to shave for dinner tonight, however.

sarimento1
08-16-2013, 03:16 PM
OK, we're doing anniversary dinner thing tonight, so it's an afternoon shave!
Prep with shower and Al's PSO
Palmolive vintage tube cream + vintage restored brush with syn knot + Yoresh's scuttle
Aristorcrat adjustable on easy street (#3) and Supermax blade
Two easy passes, then cold washcloth infused with the vintage Palmolive A/S
A sprinkle of the vintage Palmolive talc (pretty powedery and otherwise bland)
And, for old times sake, a dab of Canoe!

AndroiDad75
08-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Brush: Da Vinci 290
Razor: Wagner 5/8
Post A/S: 25 Laps Cloth / 50 Leather 25 Laps Cloth / 25 Leather

Nice decent shave today. Clubman had very little sting to it. Smells great. Followed it up with the Clubman Talc after stropping the razor. Very nice finish to a nice shave. This is probably my last shave for the IOTW this week. I liked being able to join in because it wasn't focused only on a DE tool. Since I am trying my hand at SR shaves, it's nice to have IOTW in the software realm of shaving - lets everyone join in and not just the DE crowd.

DrAwkward
08-16-2013, 10:37 PM
I have used Talc as a method of collar irritation prevention. Although it works, it clogged my pores (rarely, but enough that I would rather have collar irritation).

sarimento1
08-17-2013, 08:06 AM
interesting small note.
that old Palmolive 'after shave talc' actually has a skin pigment, perhaps a manly 'facial powder' to avoid the whiteness of regular talc.
which then raises all sorts of cosmetic issues.

Toothpick
08-17-2013, 08:25 AM
interesting small note.
that old Palmolive 'after shave talc' actually has a skin pigment, perhaps a manly 'facial powder' to avoid the whiteness of regular talc.
I dig this. Great work.

AndroiDad75
08-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Brush: Savile Row 3824
Post A/S: 25 Laps Cloth / 100 Leather

I was able to sneak in one more shave for the IOTW on Sunday. Again another nice shave finished off with a great A/S and Talc. Love the picture of the different talc's. I may look into getting the Gold Bond talc to see if it can be used with some of my other A/S. I also just got an Old Spice Talc, so could use some of that as well.

bmilcs
08-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Thank you for this weeks choice. I bought some Clubman at Sally's and have been using it daily. Smells and feels great. Nice clean and soft feeling skin afterwards.

Confederate Colonel
09-04-2013, 08:46 AM
interesting small note.

Thank you for the photos. I have very oily skin, and have been using Gold Bond after the Old Spice after shave, but it does leave me with a ghostly appearance that requires removal with a towel. I just got some OS after shave talc, and that has a tan coloring to it making it much easier to use without the "Casper look". I wish I could find something similar that is currently on the market (and that has little or no fragrance).