PDA

View Full Version : G'day All

Citizen D
12-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Found B&B while researching my new found art of shaving (going to kit up for the full straight razor experience). There appears to be precious little online stores in Aus and even fewer brick and mortar shops so the internet has been a great tool, and from what I've read so far B&B is a sensational source of information and camaraderie.

Cheers,

D

Limey
12-26-2007, 11:09 PM
D - Welcome to B&B! This is the place you needed to find so your searching is over...its good to have you here.

thirdeye
12-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Glad your here, This place is chalk full of great information an all around fantastic bunch of folks for sure. Enjoy the ride....

SilkySmooth
12-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Welcome aboard!

==Tom

Must Dash
12-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Welcome aboard
And, yep, there's not much to gladden your heart by way of shaving gear in Oz.
That said, things are improving on the software side. Proraso has a local site, T&H has a local site, Provence Sante is available in... Melbourne, and there are the good folk at C&E and L'Occitane on every second corner. As for hardware, I have found very little and nothing that even begins to compare to the range available on-line from retailers in the US and Europe.

Cheers

Jeremy

rm71
12-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Welcome to B&B

TimmyBoston
12-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Welcome to B&B! :badger:

BMWRider
12-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Welcome.

kwk285
12-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Welcome

scoopster
12-27-2007, 09:58 AM
D,
Welcome! There are a few other Aussies on B&B so you might be able to search out some posts about places to order from locally.

Hey, I see Jeremy and Rocco have already chimed in. Happy hunting!

Ceilteach
12-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Welcome to B&B!

copperhead
12-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the brotherhood.

Citizen D
12-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks one and all for the warm welcome. Happy to boost the ranks of the Aussies here.

Cheers,

D

gps
12-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Welcome!

Jim
12-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Welcome to B&B D!

JohnnyKent
12-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Welcome

paules
12-28-2007, 12:59 AM
Hi D and all

I too am from Australia - Perth, Western Australia.

After a month of contemplation and research I have taken the plunge and decided to take on the Double Edge challenge.

I noted your comment about the lack of good online stores down under. I have ordered my razor and accessories from a Australian online store called Art of Man artofman.com.au

The range is not great but not bad either. I have ordered the Merkur Futur for 80 Australian dollars (around 68 US dollars) which compared well to the Amazon price of 66 US dollars. I was tempted to get the Merkur Vision but was totally intimidated by that Monster!! Maybe when I am a bit more experienced.

I expect my new friend to arrive early next week. I will be back to let you know how I have gone.

I have read a lot (on this forum particularly) and watched all the videos but I am still a bit nervous!

This forum has been a great source of information.

Trev1960
12-28-2007, 02:25 AM
Welcome, I live close to Melbourne, well 150 k's away.

Terry

jss
12-28-2007, 02:30 AM
Welcome to B&B, we are "D"-ilghted to have you among us.

OzNick
12-28-2007, 05:04 AM
Nice I didn't realise that there are quite a few Australians on this forum!
I agree with the lack of shaving shops in oz. Those Shaver Shop franchises are absolutely pathetic!!
Classicshaving.com is excellent in my experience. I have ordered from them several times and they usually deliver the goods within 7 days which is excellent! especially considering that stuff I order locally takes longer

Citizen D
12-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Paul,

I had found artofman as well though their range for straight razors, which is what I'm after, isn't that flash at the moment. I'm hoping to use them for top ups of creams and whatnot but from the comments I've read it seems as though classicshaving.com is the place to go (and thanks for the comment on local experience OzNick - if they can deliver to Australia without fuss then that pretty much seals the deal for mine).

Cheers,

D

Must Dash
12-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi D and all

Art of Man artofman.com.au

The range is not great but not bad either. I have ordered the Merkur Futur for 80 Australian dollars (around 68 US dollars) which compared well to the Amazon price of 66 US dollars.

From what I've seen, Artofman lists this razor at Aus $94.95 but is offering a discounted price to Aus $80.71 (US $70.52),
Classic shaving has this razor at US$54.99

That's more than a 28% price difference.

Cheers

Jeremy

rm71
12-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Gents, with the ridiculous prices we pay for things in Oz, you are IMO better off ordering online. I have had good expereinces with the guys at Shaving Essentials. My HD cost A$27 v A$100 at a retailer in the city...

Must Dash
12-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Gents, with the ridiculous prices we pay for things in Oz, you are IMO better off ordering online.

+++++ on this. Many of the shaving products, and non-shaving products, mentioned on B&B are up to double the price in Australia. I've seen some (Proraso for example) at more than double. I can understand that there is a cost difference between Australia and the US, and that the size of the Australian market and shipping costs play a part in the smaller selection and higher prices. But there's a limit to what I am prepared to over-pay in order to purchase locally.

When I choose to purchase products overseas, I often email the local retailer and let them know in the hope that they choose to lift their game.

End of rant.

Cheers

Jeremy

paules
12-29-2007, 02:15 AM
Thanks Jeremy

Obviously I hadn't researched well enough.

I used Amazon as, what I thought to be, a reasonable benchmark (I buy my HDDVDs through them and they are very well priced compared to many other online retailers).

I will check out classic shaving in the future.

Regards, Paul

Must Dash
12-29-2007, 03:23 AM
Hey Paul

I love Amazon, a great resource, and I often find that I can purchase a hardback, landed in Oz, for the same price as a paperback bought locally (sounding like a broken record here).

I purchased my first DE razor and a badger brush through one of the shaver shop branches in Sydney, so pretty much started the way you did... paying over the odds. I found Classic shaving through B&B and also Lee's Razors and have had great service and prices from both. I have also purchased soaps through the Sue's and bought razors through the B/S/T forum on B&B and found shipping costs to be very reasonable. On purchases out of the UK you can have the hefty VAT deducted. All of which means that the world's your oyster and you can feed your ADs to your heart's content.

Cheers and happy shopping

Jeremy