PDA

View Full Version : Patchouli... talk to me

MotoMike
12-03-2007, 09:37 PM
I must confess that when I hear Patchouli, it conjures images of the head shops from the summer of love. An odor that I associated with those who, in these precincts, were known as hippies. I have never appreciated that smell.

So you can see that when I see Patchouli is an integral component of some highly regarded products, I was leery. With so many positive comments on Musgo Real, I could take it no longer and ordered a bottle of the classic A/S.

I could not have been more pleased with the scent. I find it great in a way that I can't describe. I wish that they had made an EDC in the classic scent as well.

So is this head shop hippy scent I remember as patchouli some bastard child? A cheap crude iteration of the scent? Not Patchouli at all? What gives? I find no similarity to that fragrance and Musgo Real.

Maybe my nose ain't what it used to be....

Regards,

Mike

liege
12-03-2007, 09:41 PM
They say if you can remember the 60's you probably weren't there.

MotoMike
12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
They say if you can remember the 60's you probably weren't there.
I just can't remember the good parts!

Mike

liege
12-03-2007, 09:44 PM
I just can't remember the good parts!

Mike

Uh, what were you talkin' about again?

SilkySmooth
12-03-2007, 09:45 PM
You'd probably like KMF Patchouli then.

==Tom

iron maiden
12-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Mike,

This past summer at our State Fair briefing...we got a chance to smell patchouli essential oil because there was some type of gang or something who supposedly were using it to camouflage their drug courier activity.:001_huh:
Some folks said that it smells like marijuana.....I never got that scent from it, but I dated a girl in college who liked her patchouli essential oils.... and she also liked her 'weed.' So I could see where it gets the hippie connotation.

I kinda liked it though......:thumbup1:

OldSchoolYoungin
12-03-2007, 09:54 PM
+1 on the KMF Patchouli

And to me, patchouli smells nothing like marijuana, it's just associated with the hippie culture. Patchouli essential oil is popular "hippie perfume".

I really do like the stuff. It's very heady, dry and woodsy. I sometimes combine Pinaud Bay Rum w/ Lime Essential Oil with a Patchouli essential oil Corn Husker's Lotion combo. The scent is definitely love it or hate it, but I love it.

jlander
12-04-2007, 03:42 AM
Give Sue at SCS a call. Ask for a sample of "Smoke and Beads" . In your face Patchouli. Not for the faint of heart. I love it. When I first smelled it I told her that I felt I had just walked into a '60's head shop.

Areler67
12-04-2007, 04:12 AM
I love KMF patchouli! I was born in october 1967, juster after summer of love. Too bad I was too young to know that kind of time in US :sad:
By the way, what do you mean by head shop?

jss
12-04-2007, 04:20 AM
We did have a time!!:wink:

jlander
12-04-2007, 05:38 AM
I love KMF patchouli! I was born in october 1967, juster after summer of love. Too bad I was too young to know that kind of time in US :sad:
By the way, what do you mean by head shop?

A "Head Shop" was the local hippie supply house. Usually a record store in which the odor of Patchouli incense was intensely strong (mostly to cover the smell of Marijuana) and they sold tie-dye T-shirts, incense, cigarette papers, "bongs", etc. At least that's what I heard. I wouldn't know myself. :whistling: :a39:

jlander
12-04-2007, 05:39 AM
We did have a time!!:wink:

You remember?

Areler67
12-04-2007, 05:48 AM
Ok jay, It's a bit the same kind of shop as in Holland now :biggrin:

Lelander
12-04-2007, 09:10 AM
So is this head shop hippy scent I remember as patchouli some bastard child? A cheap crude iteration of the scent? Not Patchouli at all? What gives? I find no similarity to that fragrance and Musgo Real.

I would say that all of my colognes smell different if a pass on showering for a couple... months :001_07:

If you commisioned an EDC based on something like frankincense, patchouli EO, ash, bong resin, hemp, body soil, musk, and halitosis you might start to approximate what you remember from 1968. There were a whole bunch of smells going on to spoil patchouli's good name.

Robxcarlson
12-04-2007, 09:26 AM
I really like the smell of Patchouli.
But I quit wearing the Kiss My Face Patchouli scented deodorant to the office, because it was strong enough that my co-workers would ask me if I was wearing Patchouli. I didn't want to get selected for a "random" drug test...

michaelskar
12-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Most people have given plenty of info, so not much to add here. The patchouli KMF does smell like the "hippie patchouli" to me...can't forget the "married couple" of freshmen during my freshman year (these were the kids who got married at 18 to piss off their families or something). They would douse themselves with patchouli oil...and the KMF has that same scent.

I think Speick does a great job getting the patchouli scent (which is supposedly the smell of the speick plant, not patchouli) without the hippie-overload factor.

MotoMike
12-04-2007, 01:25 PM
What???!! my Speick has patchouli in it TOO? I had been thinking that MR and Speick were probably my favorite A/S to date. Worlds are crumbling. Time to revisit the issue. Every once in a while I get that. Something I learned as a youngster, turns out to be wrong.

Thanks gents.

Regards,
Mike

TULIP
12-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I work on a state university campus, and like all campuses, it has its hippie element. When I catch a whiff of patchouli, I think to myself, "I'd rather smell :9898: than patchouli," and try to avoid it. Now the smell of well-cured tobacco is another story...

iron maiden
12-10-2007, 10:50 PM
I work on a state university campus, and like all campuses, it has its hippie element. When I catch a whiff of patchouli, I think to myself, "I'd rather smell :9898: than patchouli," and try to avoid it. Now the smell of well-cured tobacco is another story...

Tulip....then you'd probably like L'occitane Eau Des Beaux....smells like a cigar shop humidor:rolleyes:

Limey
12-13-2007, 12:13 PM

Tulip....then you'd probably like L'occitane Eau Des Beaux....smells like a cigar shop humidor:rolleyes:

I agree with Tulip in that I can't stand the smell of Patchouli. Hippies, head shop or not I just don't like it.

I recently got some TGQ Sandalwood that has a touch of Patchouli in it and for me it ruined the whole scent. Sorry Colleen...

On the other hand I do enjoy the tobacco scent which includes TGQ Cavendish Black. That is very good stuff. Anyway or as they say...to each his own.

Limey
12-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Can anyone answer Mike's question about Musgo Real?

MotoMike
12-13-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm good..:wink2:

Mike

TENroaches
01-19-2008, 08:37 PM
I saw the KMF Patchouli in the grocery store. It was love at first sniff. I bought it. Then I had other people sniff it, or tried to, and they'd all say "eww I don't like patchouli, that's what the hippies like!" Oh well. Their loss.

Sue
01-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Give Sue at SCS a call. Ask for a sample of "Smoke and Beads" . In your face Patchouli. Not for the faint of heart. I love it. When I first smelled it I told her that I felt I had just walked into a '60's head shop.

The shave cream is done and just need to bottle the EDT. I am surprised how many like the fragrance of patchouli. To me it is overpowering. ( Guess that's the plan :lol: ).

Back in the 70's we had to 'fire' a babysitter when we came home earlier than planned and the house reeked of 'smoke' and patchouli.

Sue

jlander
01-20-2008, 07:07 AM
The shave cream is done and just need to bottle the EDT. I am surprised how many like the fragrance of patchouli. To me it is overpowering. ( Guess that's the plan :lol: ).

Back in the 70's we had to 'fire' a babysitter when we came home earlier than planned and the house reeked of 'smoke' and patchouli.

Sue

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

-Devil-
01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
my mom was a hippie ... heh so i grew up around all sorts of 'smells' and other stuff ...

for a while i didn't care for patchouli ... but after a while i started to like it again ... one thing i noticed .. it by its self is not bad .. but when mixed with other 'scents' from hippie stuff ... tends to give it the odor that most people do not like ...

iron maiden
01-21-2008, 09:52 PM
I received the KMF peaceful patchouli shave cream as a Christmas gift. I just love it. All I need now is some patchouli ASB or cologne to accent it.....might have to give SCS a try here.:biggrin:

RexHavoc
01-22-2008, 04:00 AM
I find it interesting how patchouli made its way into the 60s subculture. Apparently fabrics from India were popular at the time and the Indians would use patchouli to disuade moths, like we use mothballs. The hippies liked the smell so much it became part of the culture, so it could be worse, hippies could smell like mothballs. (or would that be worse?)

-Devil-
01-22-2008, 05:43 AM
I find it interesting how patchouli made its way into the 60s subculture. Apparently fabrics from India were popular at the time and the Indians would use patchouli to disuade moths, like we use mothballs. The hippies liked the smell so much it became part of the culture, so it could be worse, hippies could smell like mothballs. (or would that be worse?)

most hippies do smell like mothballs right now ... that or bengay ....

/ducks

ejpeek
03-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Might like to try California cologne with a little patchouli oil dabbed on also. I used to get alot of compliments when I wore those together.

expatCanuck
03-28-2008, 06:06 PM
I must confess that when I hear Patchouli, it conjures images of the head shops from the summer of love. An odor that I associated with those who, in these precincts, were known as hippies. I have never appreciated that smell.

So you can see that when I see Patchouli is an integral component of some highly regarded products, I was leery. ...

Don't think I could use patchouli-scented goods. Too reminiscent of a gal I was with in college. That was her scent of choice. Something to look forward to at the end of the day.:rolleyes: