PDA

View Full Version : Discussion/ Review: Cadet Razors from Shave a Buck!!

michiganlover
08-19-2012, 04:28 PM
I purchased one of the new Cadet razors recently from Shave A Buck. Mine is the Model SS26/ TP26 (http://shaveabuck.com/cadet-razor-three-piece-model-ss26-p-784.html) which is a three piece razor with a black/ chrome handle reminiscent of a Gillette Super Adjustable, or Black Handled Superspeed.

I have had one shave with it so far, and here are my initial impressions:

-The chrome finish is acceptable, but not without minor flaws; the two cap studs having imperfect plating.
-The head design is similar to that of an Edwin Jagger/Muhle but with a much larger blade gap
-The handle has a decent amount of weight too it.
-The threaded stud coming out of the top cap is extremely long; I counted 10-11 full revolutions to remove the head from the handle.
-This is an extremely loud shaver.

Here is what I used for it's initial trial run:

-22mm Whipped Dog Black Badger custom brush
-Suds and Sparkles Tobacco Shaving Soap
-Dorco St301 blade
-Generic Witch Hazel
-Old Spice WhiteWater Aftershave

I got a very nice shave, with just a couple really minor cuts. Overall I like the shave. Certainly more testing is needed, but so far I am liking this razor.

michiganlover
08-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Just for further info, there are presently 9 models of the Cadet Razors; some of them are three piece, and some of them are Twist to Open/ Butterfly.

They also sell a conversion kit for $12 to convert your Cadet razor to an open comb design.

Sledgehammer39
08-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Hey John, noticed those razors also. They look pretty good, and I am glad to hear positive feedback. I thinking of pulling the trigger on one of them. I also noticed that the long handle Sabi T2 is not there anymore, liked the looks of that one also.

Galhatz
08-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the review:-)
Question: does the head fit other handles?

Galhatz
08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
And.. would the handle fit other standard heads?

michiganlover
08-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Some photos for your viewing pleasure:

Sledgehammer39
08-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Looks pretty good to me!

michiganlover
08-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the review:-)
Question: does the head fit other handles?

My Edwin Jagger handle was able to pair with this head. My Ball End Tech handle would not, as the threads don't go deep enough in the handle. My Weber handle is not tapped for use with Muhle/ Edwin Jagger heads, so it was not able to mate with this head.

The deciding factor on using this head with other handles is going to be the depth of the threads of the handle. I suspect many handles will not be deep enough to accommodate the extra length of the threaded stud.

And.. would the handle fit other standard heads?

I was able to successfully mate the handle with my Edwin Jagger head, and with my Tech head. It won't mate with my Weber head, as the collar of the handle is too big to fully seat onto the Weber head.

RKG
08-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Consider that a Merkur or Jagger only costs about $10 more.

michiganlover
08-21-2012, 04:13 AM
Consider that a Merkur or Jagger only costs about $10 more.

One could make that argument on any razor at this price point. Why buy a new TTO, when a superior vintage one is available for the same price?

What it really comes down to, is that we should be encouraging vendors to seek out new product offerings for us. We encourage them by buying their products.

michiganlover
08-21-2012, 04:14 AM
Today was shave 3 with my Cadet razor. I got a great shave, with no nicks, and it is super smooth.

This is a good quality razor, at a good price. :biggrin1:

Galhatz
08-21-2012, 05:15 AM
Does the package day where it is made?

fcdiscus
08-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Does the package day where it is made?

This seems to be a big secret- even shaveabucks web site only says comes from overseas. Wonder what is being hidden here?

RKG
08-21-2012, 06:39 AM
One could make that argument on any razor at this price point. Why buy a new TTO, when a superior vintage one is available for the same price?

What it really comes down to, is that we should be encouraging vendors to seek out new product offerings for us. We encourage them by buying their products.

I agree with you. I purchased a Sabi 3 piece razor from Shaveabuck last summer. This was the model that preceded the recent bulbous handle model. I think it was a good value at $14. A heavy mildly aggresive razor. I would have bought another one for the very heavy handle alone, but they no longer carry that model.
The Cadet razors intrigue me, and I probably would have ordered one if the price had been a little lower. I was following them on Shaveabuck when they were pictured, but no prices were listed.
I'm interested to hear reviews of the TTO models.

Galhatz
08-21-2012, 07:44 AM
For the money, those look like nice handles, they are 3" right?
Alas, unless I know the country of origin, I wouldn't buy them...

chongo gordo
08-21-2012, 10:30 AM

Hard to argue with that, I just scored a really sweet 40's Superspeed off ebay, less than $8 shipped. However, one of the reasons I picked up a Fatip was because I wanted a new shaver. I like vintage, but it's nice to get something brand new and shiny.

Shave A Buck
08-21-2012, 11:24 AM
India...no secrets at the Buck.

In the end I guess it will depend on if you are O.K using an old razor or like the handles and quality of these.

mhdena
08-21-2012, 05:40 PM
How do these compare to the Sabi?

I have a Sabi T1 handle on my R41 & T2 as is, the T2 shave is comparable to a Progress at 3 and a Futur at 2- 2.5.

Very nice smooth close shaves, They have to be the most underrated razors going, past or present.

If these Cadets are close in quality of shave they will share the distinction.

IMO of course.

Den
08-21-2012, 06:08 PM
John, nice write up. You got me curious. I'm seriously considering the same model you got, and adding the OC head.

The only question remaining for me is do you have fiddle around to lineup the blade exposure on each side of the head, or can you just drop the blade in and tighten?

Shave A Buck
08-22-2012, 05:18 AM
These would be better quality than the past offerings. Thanks for the compliment, there have been a few items we marketed that never got the love it deserved.

jamesspo
08-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Good review. I like the brass construction. That alone is enough for me to give them a shot. I can always re-plate if needed/desired. Great price too.

Shave A Buck
08-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I see no issue with the plating, It is fine and I do not know what flaws John spoke of in this. Besides, how many Merkurs and Jaggers have come through recently with plating issues.

michiganlover
08-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I see no issue with the plating, It is fine and I do not know what flaws John spoke of in this. Besides, how many Merkurs and Jaggers have come through recently with plating issues.

The plating on the bottom of the studs on the cap is "bubbled". It wasn't severe enough to warrant replacing the razor, so I simply listed it as a minor plating issue in my review. :001_cool:

michiganlover
08-22-2012, 09:10 AM
John, nice write up. You got me curious. I'm seriously considering the same model you got, and adding the OC head.

The only question remaining for me is do you have fiddle around to lineup the blade exposure on each side of the head, or can you just drop the blade in and tighten?

I replaced the blade today. I simply put it in, and tighten the razor down. No special treatment needed. :thumbup:

michiganlover
08-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I got my 3 in today so thought I would post some photos for reference if anyone wanted to see them.

You're not hijacking the thread, the whole point of this thread was to share information, photos, and opinions about these new razors.

Thanks for posting all of the photos, it really shows quite a bit of detail about these razors, and could help someone who is on the fence about purchasing one.

Shave A Buck
08-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Glad you enjoy your purchase. Not too much now a days will measure up to the old Gillette and I doubt even Gillette would make razors that good today once again. These handles are solid which is a plus for them, some old Gillette ones were not.

There are plans for other finishes including rhodium, brushed or matte, and others as we go along. Also more style of heads in the works including the yuma and a few others. Twist to open at the base is in development.

StuMcB
08-23-2012, 04:26 AM
The OC head looks like the Fatip head on my piccolo. Would be good to hear if they are as aggressive or a little less so.

Also do you (shave a buck) mail AS to the UK? as I've just browsed the site (E-bay aswell) and cant see any disclaimers.

Shave A Buck
08-23-2012, 04:56 AM
Yes..we ship anywhere

jamesspo
08-23-2012, 05:59 AM
I'll probably grab one or more of these. However, the handles are a looking a tad on the long side for my taste (but we'll see after I've tried one). Here's a nod for some shorter (but still thick) handles if they're looking for feedback. I'd love to see something with the proportions of the fatboy/40's aristocrat, etc. The grip looks really good on these, and that's really key for me.

FreshVintage
08-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Looking to order one of the Cadet's in the near future, thanks for the pictures and review!

Shave A Buck
08-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Just let me know if I can help in anyway.

AceByTerror
08-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Pretty sure the heads on some of those are identical to those sold at the golden nib.

http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=117&zenid=001267769bcaa8c087d4687a15050a27

Looks like it to me anyways. I bought a three pack of them there - planning to make some custom handles on my lathe.

DEGuy
08-24-2012, 10:36 PM
jdjones: Thanks for posting the detailed photos. Any chance of your taking a couple photos of the Cadet TP-01 with a blade in the head. Curious to see how much blade is exposed.

Shave A Buck
08-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the update and the photos. I do find it a smooth shaver yet will not bite myself.

justinjohnson86
08-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Hey Joe, are there any promotions for B&B members? I'm at a toss up between the EJ DE89 or the Cadet with the same head, possibly in black handle. Also looking to buy some Arko or other soaps from you as well.

poppi
08-27-2012, 10:46 AM
I've used my TP-27 for 3 shaves so far and it has bitten me hard each time. Maybe it's me but this particular razor seems quite aggressive, very much like a Parker 91r. Looks good and feels good in my hand and I'll try it a few more times to be sure. Just don't want to continue being a blood sacrifice to the shaving gods.

DEGuy
08-27-2012, 11:42 AM
I used my TP-01 OC last night for the first time, and got a first rate, irritation free shave. I did get a weeper on my chin and under my nose, but I wrote those off to the new Personna Med (I usually get a couple with the first go of one of those blades in any razor). The shave was close and smooth all over, especially this barbed wire patch I have on the left side of my neck.

If I were to rank my 3 in order of preference after using all of them, the TP-01 OC would be first, followed in order by the TP-27 (EJ head) and the TTO-11. All 3 are great for the price I paid, just a personal preference to the OC.

Great news! I get my Cadet OC head this week and look forward to giving it a go. Thanks for reporting.

SteveWY
08-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Comments from a casual observer, thread follower... From the reviews and photos it sure looks like these Caedt razors are really nice and certainly worthy of attention here. I'm a vintage Gillette guy but it would be enlightening to see what the users here think on how the cadet stack up against new EJ and Merkurs, Lords, Parkers. In any event, I'm thinking that the Cadet and Joe's pricing may be a great razor for starter kits, newbs, or anyone looking for a new DE razor.

ERVARGASNY
08-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks for sharing, but when takin a picture try and use a solid back ground, maybe its just me but man oh man, My eyes were killing me looking at that picture :o)

DEGuy
08-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Comments from a casual observer, thread follower... From the reviews and photos it sure looks like these Caedt razors are really nice and certainly worthy of attention here. I'm a vintage Gillette guy but it would be enlightening to see what the users here think on how the cadet stack up against new EJ and Merkurs, Lords, Parkers. In any event, I'm thinking that the Cadet and Joe's pricing may be a great razor for starter kits, newbs, or anyone looking for a new DE razor.

SteveWY--I think you're spot on. It's tough to best or even equal the old Gillette razors. I fee that the Gillette razors still have both form and function, even compared with today's razors. The newer razors, in my opinion, really cannot compare with the Gillettes of days gone by. The best they hope to do is come close or equal the tried-and-true Gillettes. I'm using several 47-year-old Gillettes and they are, to me, the best. I've been looking for a Gillette Old Type OC, and in the meantime I've ordered a Cadet OC head.

Galhatz
08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Jdjones: thank you for the great reviews. How does the Cadet OC compare to other OCs?

cryhavoc
08-28-2012, 05:51 AM
I have only tried 2 other OC's, a 30's Bar Handle NEW and a Ball Handle Old Type. IMO the Cadet is more aggressive than the NEW and equal to the Old Type. But it shaves a little different than the Old Type due to the increased weight and length of the handle. For me, I had to really pay attention to "no pressure" and let the razor do the work, but I got a fantastic BBS shave.

Thanks for the comparison

DEGuy
08-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Cadet OC Head with EJ DE89-LL barrel

Just received my Cadet OC head this afternoon. Laced up a Jagger DE89 barrel, loaded an Astra SP blade and did short strip under one sideburn--I shaved earlier today and didn't want to venture into a second shave. This head is very smooth and not as abrasive as an R41 or a Fatip. Actually, Azarius has accurately described this OC after one use. My maiden shave will be tomorrow a.m. This appears to be an exceptional buy from Joe at shaveabuck. Thanks to Joe for offering this OC head at such a value.

joshuastar
08-28-2012, 06:49 PM
great info! I'll definitely add it to the list of things to try. although I'm not seeing just the OC head on their site...

Agravic
08-28-2012, 06:59 PM
The Cadet OC head-only is likely sold out :001_unsur.
I saw it on the website earlier today, and then checked again now, with the intent of getting one - figured I would give it a chance for $12. All the buzz generated by earlier posts must have led to a frenzy of orders...oh well.

GDCarrington
08-28-2012, 07:07 PM
I bought my Cadet Converter Head specifically for the Parker 98R handle.

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii593/GDCarrington/Razor1/CadetHeadParker98RHandle.jpg

Meanwhile, I am trying this one out now.

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii593/GDCarrington/SOTD/CadetTTO-15.jpg

jamesspo
08-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah, looks like it.. Hopefully they'll be back in stock soon!

The Cadet OC head-only is likely sold out :001_unsur.
I saw it on the website earlier today, and then checked again now, with the intent of getting one - figured I would give it a chance for $12. All the buzz generated by earlier posts must have led to a frenzy of orders...oh well.

DEGuy
08-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Just finished my first shave with the Cadet OC. Great razor! Check BOTOC thread ---for details from those of us who recently bought this s OC head. Thus far all of us agree--it's an exceptional value in an OC. Below is the overview I posted on BOTOC.

Shave prep was just as I'd do when I shave with a Tech, I wanted to see how the Cadet would preform under my every-day shaving procedure. I have an Astra SP in the razor, but will try it with a Polsilver next time--this addresses the curiosity factor in a wet-shaver's DNA.

My first pass, WTG, of course, went smoothly and the razor cleaved a lot of 24-hour stubble. My second pass was gently against the grain, again, smooth pass; and followed up with some pickup on my neck and under my chin where I have multi-directional beard growth. There is no question that, for me, this is the smoothest shaving, with the closeness of a traditional OC, that I've ever had. And there wasn't a weeper in the shave--it could happen in the future if I'm less than mindful about what I'm doing, but I had zero weepers and no razor burn. This is an excellent OC that shaves much easier and smoother for me than either the R41 or the Fatip; and compared to the mild Merkur 1904, the Cadet is a completely different razor because it shaves as an OC rather than like the 1904, which shaves more like a closed-comb but has the beginnings of what I've come to know as OC attributes.The Cadet is a true OC razor that preforms like a razor costing considerably more money,i.e., the shave it is capable of delivering and the fit/finish of this OC head.

The Cadet is much smoother than the Fatips I had, much kinder than the R41, and different in feel from the Gillette Old Type, not less or more, just different. This is my OC razor. I don't think that I could use it daily, but I will be able to use two to three times a week with ease. The Astra preformed just fine, but I am really curious to see how a Polsilver SI feels in the Cadet. Trying different blades is a part of fine tuning a new DE razor.

I agree with Arley's review of this razor. And, for me, I'm not sure I could ask for anything more in an OC than what I found in the Cadet this morning. I have a little learning curve re the angle at which I shave those pesky-beard-growth areas, but it's minimal. This is a great razor--if you're thinking about buying a TP-01 or 02 or an OC head alone, you'll be making a great buy.

celestino
08-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Boy, you guys sure are making these things popular! Looking forward to trying one.

retturn2blades
08-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Where are these Cadets made? China? If so, that's a deal-breaker for me.

Agravic
08-29-2012, 09:38 AM

They are made in India.

DEGuy
08-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Jeff--we share the same sense of China-manufactured products. Cadets are made in India, as another person said. The quality of the OC head I purchased is as good as a Jagger if not superior to EJ's heads.

retturn2blades
08-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Jeff--we share the same sense of China-manufactured products. Cadets are made in India, as another person said. The quality of the OC head I purchased is as good as a Jagger if not superior to EJ's heads.
Thanks bro! Glad to hear it's not from China...and that you like yours.

retturn2blades
08-29-2012, 03:26 PM
They are made in India.
Thanks for the info!

The Provost
08-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Great review, DEGuy. I'm looking forward to trying one of these. An open comb that's smoother than the Fatip appeals to me. Hopefully the head is stocked again soon.

michiganlover
08-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Wow, this thread has really exploded in the last few days!! I am glad to hear others are happy with their Cadet razors as well!! :thumbup:

Except for two days where I shaved with my (new to me) Schick Eversharp Hydromagic 500 injector, I have used the Cadet every day since I received it. :biggrin1:

GDCarrington
08-30-2012, 05:58 PM
8/30/2012 Day 3

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii593/GDCarrington/SOTD/CadetTTO-15.jpg

Excellent shave from the Cadet!

Tomorrow ...

Big Ben Blade meets the Cadet / Parker tandem!

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii593/GDCarrington/Razor1/CadetHeadParker98RHandle.jpg

chongo gordo
08-31-2012, 07:57 AM
These look really nice. I wish these had been available when I ordered my Fatip.

GDCarrington
08-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Well today was the test of the Cadet OC Converter Head with the Parker 98R handle. The head is as aggressive as my Old Type and New Long Comb Gillette razors and slightly less aggressive than the Gillette New Improved or the Gillette New Short Comb. Excellent two pass shave. This is also slightly less aggressive than the Cadet TTO-15 I used for the three days prior to today. The razor had an almost true center balance due to the weight of the handle. It also behaved both balance and weight wise like the TTO-15 (no surprise there). If the quality of heads and plating can stay at this level then this will be a boon to OC lovers.

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii593/GDCarrington/SOTD/SOTD8-31-2012.jpg

Youngblood
08-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Well I have been shaving with my Cadet TP-02 exclusively since I got it 3 days ago. I must say this is one fine shaving razor one of my favorites. I get very good audible feedback, definitely the loudest razor I own . I can put any of my blades in it and it does wonderful. I get a very close and very comfortable shave. It is not R41 aggressive but, I would consider it a aggressive razor. The handles are nice and heavy, giving the razor a nice balance. The finish to me was great no flaws that I could find. Mine had a finish that I would expect on a razor far more expensive. I liked mine so much that I just ordered 2 more of the OC heads on different handles. For me this razor shaves, looks, and feels better than razors far beyond its price. I thought that this razor would shave more like my FaTip, but I didn't find them very similar at all, other than the appearance of the head, it shaved much more like my Joris. I love OC razors like the NEW LC and SC, Old Type, New Standard, Joris and yes I would put the Cadet OC head in there class. This Cadet OC is the real deal and a steal for under $25. When I got mine I also got the OC head only for $12, I put the head on a Old Tech Fat handle. I think the handle is a little to light, because it does a nice job but not nearly as nice as my TP-02. I wish I had a nice Bulldog handle to put on this puppy. I can't say enough how surprised and happy I am with this razor. Definitely the best bang for the buck razor I have seen. I can't speak on the Closed Comb heads as I have not tried them, but if they are even close to the OC heads they are worth far more than their price tag says. I already can't wait for my next 2 to get here.

speas
08-31-2012, 05:02 PM
I havent shaved with the head yet but I got the OC in the mail today. Looking forward to trying it out. The finish is very good and it locks up tight with the blade. I will note that the threaded rod is very long, perhaps twice as long as any other razor I have, so the only handle I have that permits it to tighten up is a New bar handle. I generally like fatter handles so I may need to cut it down if it is a keeper.

RKG
08-31-2012, 05:06 PM
You guys are a bunch of enablers.
Been following this thread and finally caved. Ordered a TP-27 with open comb head.
Now I can't wait until it arrives.

Youngblood
08-31-2012, 05:29 PM
You guys are a bunch of enablers.
Been following this thread and finally caved. Ordered a TP-27 with open comb head.
Now I can't wait until it arrives.

I am sure you won't be disappointed they really are awesome, the TP-27 with the OC head is one of the two I just ordered as well.

OldGreyGuy
08-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Cadets are made in India, as another person said. The quality of the OC head I purchased is as good as a Jagger if not superior to EJ's heads.

Now I want one! :drool:

Galhatz
09-01-2012, 06:33 PM
I just got my TP-O2 OC and it is a beauty. Excellent finish. The handle is wonderful. Compared to Merkuer 23C, the Cade has a nicer finish (Merkur has ugly machinning ring near the neck). The plating is thicker and just looks better. As for the head, the machinning is slightly better on Merkur, but that company has been machinning stuff for ages they ought to get it right by now. I also own a Progress and it irritates me that the adjustment dial is not fixed on 1 when it is tight all the way in. Would have it killed Merkur to spend one more minute on making sure it is set properly? I'd pay a few extra bucks to get it done right... what happend to good old German manufacturing?

Shaveabuck is giving Merkur a heck of a run for they money and they seriously need to shape up to stay in the game.

Azarius
09-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I posted a complete review of the Open Comb here (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/308329-Complete-Review-The-Cadet-Open-Comb-Head), and plan on doing a review of the TTO-15 soon. As previously mentioned, the Cadet Open Comb has become my favorite open comb razor, no matter the price, manufacturer, or vintage. Surprisingly the TTO-15 I like a lot, and I am not a TTO fan.

I currently have the TP-26 with both heads and the TTO-15. I am planning on ordering the TP-24 with an Open Comb, one to have a spare head, and two, I really like the handle.

Here are a few pics for those who enjoy razor eye candy
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gJ4NuvTPEaU/UD7vupomp-I/AAAAAAAAAJ4/WBycoepMmfg/w1024-h1024/Cadet-OC01.jpg
Cadet OC Head mounted on Edwin Jagger DE89L handle

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y07nl6_d_Ow/UDw9VPJOKqI/AAAAAAAAEJM/O7Zd6tNF6-k/w1024-h1024/SOTD-08272012-evening.jpg
Cadet TP-26 with Open Comb Head. For those who like a heavy handle, this is very nice, feels perfectly balanced in your hands.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ltWLZnPURUE/UEC-Ob9RoOI/AAAAAAAAEOY/-FGS6UlM0nE/w1024-h1024/SOTD-08312012.jpg
Cadet TTO-15. Very nice knurling on handle, and like the TP-26, has a nice weight and balance.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lToYdzcT3lM/UDzIVDcRMUI/AAAAAAAAEKs/0tRTJkK4HQ4/w1024-h1024/SOTD-08282012.jpg
Another picture of the Cadet Open Comb Head paired to the DE89L handle. If you didn't know better, you would swear this was a new Edwin Jagger model.

Joe has done a great job bringing this Cadet Line to market. The Quality Control on these ate better than many razors costing two, three even four time the dollar amoun

TAM340R
09-02-2012, 01:56 AM
I just mailed Joe in order to know when the Open head converter will be in stock again...

Tam

speas
09-02-2012, 10:25 AM
The Cadet OC is a great new OC head to the market. Congrats to Joe on getting it out. The quality is very good. It works particularly well for me in that it is not super aggressive but shaves very closely. I think the key for me is that it has very little blade gap but good blade exposure. Most razors go the other way. Its basically what the Merkur OC should be but isnt (the Merkur doesnt have enough blade exposure to shave closely IMO). In terms of aggressiveness, I'd rank it above the News but below the Fatip (but shaving as close as the Fatip).

heikster
09-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Definitely gonna but the OC head when in stock, amazing reviews and the price is really good.

ALATRON
09-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Anyone have the ability to add these to the rankings? Most interested in the TTO's:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

GDCarrington
09-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Anyone have the ability to add these to the rankings? Most interested in the TTO's:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

I was able to measure my TTO-15 at .81mm fully closed.

Azarius
09-03-2012, 10:17 AM
I was able to measure my TTO-15 at .81mm fully closed.

Good information Gary...so the same as Slim Adjustable @ 5 or British Red Tip.

I used the Cadet TP-26 yesterday (I prefer the old name of SS-26, as TP reminds me of, well TP), and while the head geometry looks the same as the R89/DE89 I found it to be much more efficient, providing far greater stubble reduction.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-67Z2iTyOa4E/UEO0BRyDlLI/AAAAAAAAEQ8/JemSTFtlWek/s929/SOTD-09022012.jpg

Shave A Buck
09-03-2012, 10:30 AM
My concern was that people would mistake SS for stainless steel so I thought it better to use TP for three piece.

Loric
09-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the great discussion. I have one of the TTO's on order. Thanks again!

Azarius
09-03-2012, 11:59 AM
My though was that people would mistake SS for stainless steel so i thought it better TP for three piece.

Well that makes complete sense...thanks for the explanation Joe :biggrin1:

I had another outstanding shave with the Cadet Open Comb mounted to the iKon Handle and paired with a Rapira blade. As effortless as you can get. I had also used the Herbs of Bulgaria Lavender (also available from Shave A Buck), it is fast becoming one of my favorite non-mentholated creams. It lathers great, is very slick and provides an excellent amount of cushion.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jvtM2wHvdII/UET22-wHDFI/AAAAAAAAERo/FKM32U9TZnI/s929/SOTD-09032012.jpg

redhead shaver
09-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I'll give the short review first in case some don't want to read much. GREAT RAZOR, GREAT PRICE, My favorite razor at any price point!:thumbup:

Alright now for the details. I got a TP-02 and a OC head only 9 days ago, and I have used it since I got it, trying a different blade everyday, and paired the head with many of my handles. My first impression when I opened the box was, wow that's a nice finish. The finish of this razor is way beyond its price point. In fact I do not own a razor with a better finish. I couldn't find any flaw, and believe me I tried. My only complaint is that the thread on the head is very long, which will not allow the head to pair with some of my handles with out trimming it. That said, it was easy to trim and now pairs with any handle I want. My first shave I used the TP-02 the razor is very nicely balanced, and the handle has some good weight to it. My first pass I knew I was in love:001_wub:. I used a Med Prep blade and MWF. The shave was great. I got a very close, comfortable, shave with zero irritation. This is the loudest razor I own, even louder than my R41. On a aggression level I would put it with the Gillette NEW. The razor is very forgiving though, I really don't know how to explain it. It's aggressively smooth, if that makes sense. I have used a total of 9 different blades in this razor and every one has worked very well. My favorite blade in it was my good old Bolzano. Anyway long story short, this is my new favorite razor. I have over 20 razors from vintage to brand new, from cheap to top of the line. This razor out performs them all. The finish, great, the design, awesome, the functionality in a class all it's own. Not to say there are not a lot of great razors available, and as all ways YMMV. I can't express enough how impressed I am with this razor. I like it so much I have 2 more on the way. I will say with everything shaving related YMMV. But for me this is what I have been searching for since I started trying different razors.
And to Joe at Shave A Buck, thank you so much for introducing me to my shaving soul mate.:001_wub: The beautiful Cadet OC. Keep up the good work my man.

Agravic
09-03-2012, 05:32 PM
I'll give the short review first in case some don't want to read much. GREAT RAZOR, GREAT PRICE, My favorite razor at any price point!:thumbup:

Alright now for the details. I got a TP-02 and a OC head only 9 days ago, and I have used it since I got it, trying a different blade everyday, and paired the head with many of my handles. My first impression when I opened the box was, wow that's a nice finish. The finish of this razor is way beyond its price point. In fact I do not own a razor with a better finish. I couldn't find any flaw, and believe me I tried. My only complaint is that the thread on the head is very long, which will not allow the head to pair with some of my handles with out trimming it. That said, it was easy to trim and now pairs with any handle I want. My first shave I used the TP-02 the razor is very nicely balanced, and the handle has some good weight to it. My first pass I knew I was in love:001_wub:. I used a Med Prep blade and MWF. The shave was great. I got a very close, comfortable, shave with zero irritation. This is the loudest razor I own, even louder than my R41. On a aggression level I would put it with the Gillette NEW. The razor is very forgiving though, I really don't know how to explain it. It's aggressively smooth, if that makes sense. I have used a total of 9 different blades in this razor and every one has worked very well. My favorite blade in it was my good old Bolzano. Anyway long story short, this is my new favorite razor. I have over 20 razors from vintage to brand new, from cheap to top of the line. This razor out performs them all. The finish, great, the design, awesome, the functionality in a class all it's own. Not to say there are not a lot of great razors available, and as all ways YMMV. I can't express enough how impressed I am with this razor. I like it so much I have 2 more on the way. I will say with everything shaving related YMMV. But for me this is what I have been searching for since I started trying different razors.
And to Joe at Shave A Buck, thank you so much for introducing me to my shaving soul mate.:001_wub: The beautiful Cadet OC. Keep up the good work my man.

Thanks for the informative post. I just received my Cadet razors over the weekend and agree with the quality of finish overall. What is the easiest way to trim the long thread on the cap? Unfortunately, the Cadet head as shipped does not work with many of my handles, including the Weber variants.

Dr Dulcamara
09-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Ravi, how tall the screw protruding from the comb? The portion that is inserted into the handle.

redhead shaver
09-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the informative post. I just received my Cadet razors over the weekend and agree with the quality of finish overall. What is the easiest way to trim the long thread on the cap? Unfortunately, the Cadet head as shipped does not work with many of my handles, including the Weber variants.

I am a welder by trade so I have lots of access to a lot of metal working tools. If you have access to a Demel or a Die Grinder, that is what I used, with a cut off wheel. After the cut I used a grinding stone to clean the edge. I put a dab of silver paint on tip after it was done, which is probably not necessary but improved the appearance. I would think you could use a hacksaw to cut it and then clean the edge with a file or sandpaper as well... I hope this helps.

GDCarrington
09-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Ravi, how tall the screw protruding from the comb? The portion that is inserted into the handle.

I can answer that. The screw length is 15 mm. It is long but fits the Parker 98R handle without an issue.

Agravic
09-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks all for the assistance.

I too measured the length of the thread: 1/2" = 15mm

As for the hacksaw, I am not so handy with these types of tools. I would probably cause more harm with such an attempt! :blink:

Dr Dulcamara
09-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Ok, thanks a lot. In my UFO U2 and UFO Godzilla I can screw until 18 mm long. I think Cadet OC will fit without an issue also. I'm awaiting some Cadet OC heads

Agravic
09-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Ok, thanks a lot. In my UFO U2 and UFO Godzilla I can screw until 18 mm long. I think Cadet OC will fit without an issue also. I'm awaiting some Cadet OC heads

That is wonderful news to me - I am awaiting several UFO handles including U2, Goliath XL, and Zeus. I will use on of these with the Cadet head!

jamesspo
09-03-2012, 07:59 PM
TP-27 and TTO-15 on order. I'm looking forward to trying these out!

Galhatz
09-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Had first shave today with the tp-02, with an astra blade.
Love the handle and the balance. It is quite aggressive. More so than the Gillette NEW in my opinion. I am now curious to try the other three piece model.
It may be too aggressive for my skin but it is no doubt an excellent quality product.

RKG
09-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Had my first shaves with the TP-27 with both closed comb and open comb heads.
I am really impressed with the quality of the finishing as well as how they perform.
The closed and open comb heads are more similar than different in how they shave. Both give lots of audible feedback. Both give a BBS shave.
The closed comb is more aggressive than my Jagger DE89. The open comb is more aggressive than my Gillette New LC.
I found the closed comb slightly more comfortable. I may just need more time with the open comb.
I keep "faceturbating", amazed at how close these razors shave.
They are both winners!

fcdiscus
09-04-2012, 05:57 AM
Ordered an OC model- not sure which number. These reviews forced my hand!:thumbup:

Johan
09-04-2012, 10:51 AM
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y07nl6_d_Ow/UDw9VPJOKqI/AAAAAAAAEJM/O7Zd6tNF6-k/w1024-h1024/SOTD-08272012-evening.jpg
Cadet TP-26 with Open Comb Head. For those who like a heavy handle, this is very nice, feels perfectly balanced in your hands.

I was supposed to settle with the ones i already own but i knew then i saw your picture that i had to buy a tp-26 open comb. So i did a moment ago and i cant wait for it to arrive! :drool:
What a beauty!!!

missingskin
09-04-2012, 12:03 PM

The O/C will fit the UFO Godzilla, but it takes a bit of screwing in. So take your time and fit the head on a few times without a blade to loosen the threads a bit before you fit it with a blade if you like your fingers...........:scared:

Gam
09-05-2012, 06:19 AM
I had my first shave with the Cadet TP-27 OC today,I paired it with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black.Right out of the box it looks great,nice heft and balance,very good knurling and plating.The head does resemble a chrome FaTip Grande head,but I think the Cadet overall is better made.

The shave is also way better than the FaTip,very smooth and efficient with very good feedback.If pressed I would say it's just a lil more aggressive than a FaTip,but not as aggressive as the r41.Does it shave better than a Joris,hell no,is it a poor mans Joris,hell no.It's a great razor with it's own thing going and a real bargain.Now I'll have to order the TTO model :lol:

jamesspo
09-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the review, Gerry. I'm waiting on a TP-27 in OC as well. It sounds really nice! Maybe as I plus, I'll be able to use it with my iKon handle, which I unfortunately can't with my Fatip head. I'll give the included handle a shot of course, but I'm not a big fan of the longer handles.

I had my first shave with the Cadet TP-27 OC today,I paired it with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black.Right out of the box it looks great,nice heft and balance,very good knurling and plating.The head does resemble a chrome FaTip Grande head,but I think the Cadet overall is better made.

The shave is also way better than the FaTip,very smooth and efficient with very good feedback.If pressed I would say it's just a lil more aggressive than a FaTip,but not as aggressive as the r41.Does it shave better than a Joris,hell no,is it a poor mans Joris,hell no.It's a great razor with it's own thing going and a real bargain.Now I'll have to order the TTO model :lol:

Bad Robot
09-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Ordered a TP-26 with open comb head over the weekend. My current favourite razor is my Merkur 25c but I was looking for a more aggressive open comb and was considering a Fatip as my next purchase but the price on the cadets made them pretty irresistable. Going by the reviews here and in the BOTOC thread this razor should be just what I am looking for.

retturn2blades
09-05-2012, 08:47 AM
The way these Cadets are selling, I wish I owned stock in the company.

Gam
09-05-2012, 10:03 AM
The way these Cadets are selling, I wish I owned stock in the company.

Me too :lol:

Gam
09-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the review, Gerry. I'm waiting on a TP-27 in OC as well. It sounds really nice! Maybe as I plus, I'll be able to use it with my iKon handle, which I unfortunately can't with my Fatip head. I'll give the included handle a shot of course, but I'm not a big fan of the longer handles.

I felt the same way about lighter handles and razors,not so much for shaving my mug,but for shaving the dome.I felt at the time that heavier and longer worked best for head shaves.Time has proven me wrong and I can get a great shave from a smallish razor (FaTip Piccolo/Gillette Slim) to a (FaTip/Godzilla/Joris).

On another note if you have a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, load it into the Cadet,both are made in India and it just may be the blade the manufacturers of the Cadet used for their tests.I have no inside knowledge about this other than the fact that the Black performed like this razor was made for it.

DrFaulken
09-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Looks like the TP-26 is out of stock for now -- any idea when the next batch will come in?

Also, do you know if there are any plans to bring a TTO with a black handle to market?

Thank you!

Loric
09-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Do these razor heads fit on Parker razor handles? I love how the Parker R94 looks (http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/conk/images/CC094R.jpg), and think it might pair nicely with the OC.

TAM340R
09-06-2012, 04:28 PM
I just mailed Joe in order to know when the Open head converter will be in stock again...

Tam
Well till now i got on answer from him.....any idea if and when they will be available again?

Tam

GDCarrington
09-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Do these razor heads fit on Parker razor handles? I love how the Parker R94 looks (http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/conk/images/CC094R.jpg), and think it might pair nicely with the OC.

Here is mine on the Parker 98R. It should fit on the others.

Dr Dulcamara
09-09-2012, 12:48 PM
For purposes of documentation, compatibility and enabling, gents. To say that Cadet screw protrudes 11.4 mm from the comb, and fits well in UFO handles, which supported from 14 mm of U1 to 18 mm of U2 and Godzilla.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ONpHnO5aRck/UEzlY8uHfhI/AAAAAAAABKI/eHKmMHNlDd4/s0/Imagen%2520306.jpg https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n4x6rBHbNHw/UEzlYnVc-CI/AAAAAAAABKE/LZMWEgvZV_E/s0/Imagen%2520305.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0mZK6mlzG9k/UEzlXznvMyI/AAAAAAAABJQ/F-TuLJFXELw/s0/Imagen%2520300.jpg https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fkkXCSj3hek/UEzlX3DyXrI/AAAAAAAABJ4/L8dU_anscic/s0/Imagen%2520301.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JuIla1arFI8/UEzlXlh-HsI/AAAAAAAABJ8/ztT5pYyEQOM/s0/Imagen%2520302.jpg https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0xlEVmHpO1k/UEzlYbqNtXI/AAAAAAAABKA/I2a8Uh1waHg/s0/Imagen%2520303.jpg

DrFaulken
09-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Just an update, since I ordered mine ;) The TP-26 and TP-27 are available as of this post, with a shipping date of beyond 09/18.

TAM340R
09-15-2012, 05:35 AM
Well till now i got on answer from him.....any idea if and when they will be available again?

Tam

Well still no answer from Joe...I have the feeling that he will not offer the OC Converter any longer.
But why not to say it if that s the case....??

Tam

El Judio Bravo
09-15-2012, 08:48 AM
I'd ordered a TP-24 with closed comb head. The package arrived about 90 minutes ago. Opened it in my kit5chen, and lo! It was the OC head even though the invoice said it was the closed. This was a bit upsetting.

Then, RAD kicked in. "G'wan! Keep it! Inevitably you'll get an OC sooner or later. It's here, now! Go fer it!" Well, I did. Slapped in a fresh Israeli Blue and lathered up a fine artisanal shave cream. What a happy fellow I am now! I have jumped on the bandwagon. :a29: The heft is just right and the finish and fit are really top-notch.

The experience was of a close shave indeed. Still, by remembering about pressure, etc., I had a great three-pass session. Never thought I'd like a shave head like this. Now to join the BOTOC ... :surrender:

ALATRON
09-15-2012, 08:56 AM
I felt the same way about lighter handles and razors,not so much for shaving my mug,but for shaving the dome.I felt at the time that heavier and longer worked best for head shaves.Time has proven me wrong and I can get a great shave from a smallish razor (FaTip Piccolo/Gillette Slim) to a (FaTip/Godzilla/Joris).

On another note if you have a Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, load it into the Cadet,both are made in India and it just may be the blade the manufacturers of the Cadet used for their tests.I have no inside knowledge about this other than the fact that the Black performed like this razor was made for it.

I agree with you on the head shaves. The smaller handled razors are better.

Dr Dulcamara
09-15-2012, 09:01 AM
I'd ordered a TP-24 with closed comb head. The package arrived about 90 minutes ago. Opened it in my kit5chen, and lo! It was the OC head even though the invoice said it was the closed. This was a bit upsetting.

Then, RAD kicked in. "G'wan! Keep it! Inevitably you'll get an OC sooner or later. It's here, now! Go fer it!" Well, I did. Slapped in a fresh Israeli Blue and lathered up a fine artisanal shave cream. What a happy fellow I am now! I have jumped on the bandwagon. :a29: The heft is just right and the finish and fit are really top-notch.

The experience was of a close shave indeed. Still, by remembering about pressure, etc., I had a great three-pass session. Never thought I'd like a shave head like this. Now to join the BOTOC ... :surrender:
Ha ha. Blessed error! Congratulations.

El Judio Bravo
09-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Ha ha. Blessed error! Congratulations.

Thanks! Today I found out what a BBS shave should be! °Epa! :a50:

Agravic
09-15-2012, 10:48 AM
My Cadet OC has met a new handle - UFO U2. A lovely match!

Bad Robot
09-15-2012, 12:29 PM
I have completed 3 shaves so far with my TP-26 open comb and I gotta say imho the razor is great.
I have tough wiry whiskers that curl a bit and quite sensitive pale skin (shave every other day). I expected a little irritation until I got the blade angle dialed in on the cadet as this is the usual way for me so far with my previous 3 razors. I was surprised at how the getting the correct blade angle just seemed to occur instinctively with the razor. Shaved using my usual routine, 2 WTG and 1 XTG passes with touch-ups afterwards. Zero irritation so far.
I have used a different soap each shave (MWF, Lea tallow stick, and VDH deluxe) 2 of which I was using for the first time. Great shaves all round.
I used an Astra SP for these 3 shaves as I find it a nice blade to gauge a razor with. I'll be swapping up for a Gillette 7 o'clock black tomorrow morning to see how that goes.
So far for me this is a great razor and a bargain at the price. YMMV of course.

DrFaulken
09-18-2012, 11:38 AM
I got a shipping confirmation on my order. The Web site is still showing a delayed shipping notification, so I don't know if they got a bunch in and just haven't updated the site, or if they only have limited quantities. I'm looking forward to my first open comb shave :D

Shave A Buck
09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Fedex came today and we had a few extras. More to come from this company including short handles by the end of October.

Azarius
09-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Fedex came today and we had a few extras. More to come from this company including short handles by the end of October.

Outstanding Joe....cannot wait to see future offerings

Rschan
09-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Is the entire Head plate and base plate made from brass or pot metal. ( I heard the handle is made from brass)

Den
09-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Is the entire Head plate and base plate made from brass or pot metal. ( I heard the handle is made from brass)

I'm wondering the same thing. I almost pulled the trigger on a TTO model, then read the head isn't made of brass. Thankfully I kept reading before making the purchase.

Unadan
09-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Is this confirmed that the heads of the Cadets are not brass? In other forums I've read that they are. Any news on the all stainless TTO Cadet is supposed to be producing?

Azarius
09-29-2012, 10:24 AM

I'm wondering the same thing. I almost pulled the trigger on a TTO model, then read the head isn't made of brass. Thankfully I kept reading before making the purchase.

Is this confirmed that the heads of the Cadets are not brass? In other forums I've read that they are. Any news on the all stainless TTO Cadet is supposed to be producing?

On the Shave a Buck site it only states "Solid Brass Frame" for the three piece models (http://shaveabuck.com/cadet-razor-three-piece-model-tp26-p-784.html), while for the TTO's (http://shaveabuck.com/cadet-shaving-tt015-safety-razor-p-777.html) it states "solid brass construction". Joe would be the only one to complete clarify if the three piece models are solid brass, but based upon his description on the site, I would say that the TTO's are indeed solid brass.

Having the TP-26 with both the open and closed comb heads as well as the TTO-15 I can tell you that they are very solid razors that perform great.

crfcom
09-30-2012, 08:05 PM
I bought an open comb Cadet from Phil at Bullgoose which I received a couple days ago. As always with Bullgoose, the delivery is fast and the service first rate. The razor itself was interesting. I liked the head design, but the chrome finish was uneven and the handle, while long and fairly weighty, was roughly finished with some burring. No big deal, its a $25 razor. The problem was when I loaded a blade into the head. There was a lot more edge exposed on one side of the cap than the other, and on the side with the most exposure the edge exposure was more on one end of the cap than on the other. The cap itself appeared not to be square. This happened to me on two other razors, both Parkers, so I dug up the Parkers and compared the caps, and guess what? They look the same. They appear to be interchangeable. The Parker caps fit on the Cadet bases, and visa-versa. I had a third Parker with a square cap which I switched onto the Cadet base, and they mated nicely. Then, I grabbed a Tradere handle, screwed it onto the Cadet base, and I had great balance. The ensemble looks good too. Put a new 7 o'clock black in it, lathered up, and had a great, close shave.
I can't state that Parkers and Cadets are the same, but they look it to me and the components seem to be inter-changeable. Both supposedly made in India. I like the Cadet long-tooth open comb base. It's on the aggressive side in terms of shave quality, but not unmanageable. Shaves close very easily.

ALATRON
10-01-2012, 04:49 AM
I always wanted a vintage tto shave with the modern longer heavier handle. I have a Cadet TTO-15. The handle is flawless. There are a few imperfections on the head. Nothing that looks like they will be a problem as of yet. The shave is not effected. The shave is exactly what I wanted. Classic vintage TTO shave with the longer heavier handle. Fast and easy irritation free shave. Looks great as well.

DrFaulken
10-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Today I made my first shave with the Cadet, as well as my first shave with an open comb. I've been DE shaving for five months and believe I have my technique and pre-shave prep squared away. I did a two pass with the Cadet loaded with a Feather blade and got a very good shave. No cuts, weepers, or nicks. I really liked the weight of the Cadet, and channeled some of the wisdom in this thread and the BOTOC thread about pressure and negative pressure while shaving, etc.

I'm very impressed w/ the razor, and hope to continue my adventures with open comb shaving.

Lucidor
10-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Muy Cadet shaves unevenly and seems to suffer from the same "uneven top plate" as crfcom's. The screw and the round plugs seem to be off centre. I was just waiting to take some pictures and see if Shaveabuck has some top plates laying around.

speas
10-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Regarding the metal of the razor, I cut the end off of the threaded screw on an OC head to fit another handle and the screw is definitely not brass - seems to be zinc. Cant say anything about the rest of the head though. I wonder if I should put some paint on the end to keep it from corroding.

GDCarrington
10-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Regarding the metal of the razor, I cut the end off of the threaded screw on an OC head to fit another handle and the screw is definitely not brass - seems to be zinc. Cant say anything about the rest of the head though. I wonder if I should put some paint on the end to keep it from corroding.

Yes. The head is more than likely Zamak and needs to be sealed. Silver or Grey Rust-Oleum should do the trick.

lpe492
10-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Italian Barber just listed some new RazoRock razors that look remarkably like the Cadet. They list the details of manufacture as chrome over brass handles and chrome over zinc alloy heads. Check it out.

ALATRON
10-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Italian Barber just listed some new RazoRock razors that look remarkably like the Cadet. They list the details of manufacture as chrome over brass handles and chrome over zinc alloy heads. Check it out.

Indeed. Lower prices as well. The selections are fewer as there is no ability to switch head types for the different handles. The OC's are only available with the needle handles.

ALATRON
10-03-2012, 04:26 AM
I was thinking about picking up an OC. It seems there a lot of people complaining about QC issues. Should I be worried?

michiganlover
10-03-2012, 07:06 AM
I was thinking about picking up an OC. It seems there a lot of people complaining about QC issues. Should I be worried?

I think I have counted 3 people who have complained about QC issues. Prior to that there was 6 pages of praise for the razor. All of the vendors selling these razors are B and B vendors, with outstanding reputations. I wouldn't worry at all. Even if you were to get a dud, the vendors would quickly replace it.

Agravic
10-03-2012, 07:20 AM

I think I have counted 3 people who have complained about QC issues. Prior to that there was 6 pages of praise for the razor. All of the vendors selling these razors are B and B vendors, with outstanding reputations. I wouldn't worry at all. Even if you were to get a dud, the vendors would quickly replace it.

+1. I have no concerns regarding the reputation of these vendors and trust that they will provide exemplary sales/service. Keep in mind the old adage 'you get what you pay for'. At $24, the Cadet razors offer an outstanding shave for the money. 'Quality control' is a relative term and is dependent upon what one expects for $24. Make no mistake, these razors will not compare to a razor costing 4-10 times more in terms of finish and materials. I am very happy with my Cadet purchased from Shave-a-buck ... is it perfect in terms of quality ... no.

michiganlover
10-03-2012, 07:58 AM
'Quality control' is a relative term and is dependent upon what one expects for $24. Make no mistake, these razors will not compare to a razor costing 4-10 times more in terms of finish and materials. I am very happy with my Cadet purchased from Shave-a-buck ... is it perfect in terms of quality ... no.

+1

As I indicated when I started this thread, my razor had minor plating flaws. Given the $24 price, I was totally fine with these very minor flaws, and saw no reason to return the razor. I only expect perfection in a razor costing way more than $24.

My Cadet shaves great, and looks great. It most definitely is a great deal at $24, and I just ordered an Open Comb Cadet to supplement it yesterday!! Woot!!

When that razor comes in, my DE razor collection will be a grand total of 3 razors: the two Cadets, and a Gillette Ball End Tech. :thumbup:

dundak
10-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Are these made by Parker of India?

Den
10-03-2012, 09:14 AM
I've read somewhere on these boards, possibly within the pages of this thread, that Shave A Buck will be releasing shorter handled options towards the end of October. I'm holding off to see what those will look like as the current offerings are a touch long for my preference after seeing numerous comparison pics against other DEs.

I've talked myself into looking at it this way :tongue_sm ... Even if the heads are completely unusable due to either uneven blade gaps, terrible rough plating, or whatever, you've just plucked down about $30 for a quality brass chrome plated handle. Not too shabby imo.

CB1
10-04-2012, 05:15 AM

Make that 4. I just got one with uneven blade exposure.

DrFaulken
10-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Like other three piece head razors I own, I had to slightly adjust the blade to make sure it was even before tightening everything down. I don't think it's a fault of the Cadet razor as much as something I've encountered with the three piece designs in general.

Agravic
10-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Like other three piece head razors I own, I had to slightly adjust the blade to make sure it was even before tightening everything down. I don't think it's a fault of the Cadet razor as much as something I've encountered with the three piece designs in general.

+1.

I may be OCD, but I do this with all my 3-piece and 2-piece razors, regardless of brand/price/quality. Even the 'high-end' razors will have a little 'wiggle' of the blade prior to final tightening ... granted this may be somewhat more noticeable with Cadet, Fatip etc. but once tightened in proper alignment, I have experienced no issues.

CB1
10-05-2012, 05:23 AM
+1.

I may be OCD, but I do this with all my 3-piece and 2-piece razors, regardless of brand/price/quality. Even the 'high-end' razors will have a little 'wiggle' of the blade prior to final tightening ... granted this may be somewhat more noticeable with Cadet, Fatip etc. but once tightened in proper alignment, I have experienced no issues.

I'll give that a try when I get a chance. It seemed ever so slightly crooked but there was very visibly more blade hanging over one comb than the other. I tried a couple blades and also flipped the head with no difference. I'll see if I can actually hold the blade to one side while tightening.

Agravic
10-05-2012, 05:36 AM
I'll give that a try when I get a chance. It seemed ever so slightly crooked but there was very visibly more blade hanging over one comb than the other. I tried a couple blades and also flipped the head with no difference. I'll see if I can actually hold the blade to one side while tightening.

This has occurred with my Fatip and Cadet heads as well. It's difficult to describe in words, but what I do is hold the blade by the sides (the non cutting edges) and shift laterally while making the final tightening. It works.

Lucidor
10-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Looking closely at the top plate reveals that at least one of the "plugs" that are on the sides of the central screw is not centered. It seemed to hold the blade crooked in the same way if I reversed the top plate.

Using the top from a SABI 3, I got the most amazing close shave this morning. The TP-26 handle is very natural to the hand, and it glided very smoothly and efficiently across the face mowing down all whiskers that came in their way. I am in love.

Lessons learned: Astras are perfect in this blade, Sharks are much rougher. Might be technique, might be my skin type.

We'll see how Joe at Shaveabuck responds to my e-mail.

The Provost
10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
This has occurred with my Fatip and Cadet heads as well. It's difficult to describe in words, but what I do is hold the blade by the sides (the non cutting edges) and shift laterally while making the final tightening. It works.

I do something similar with my Fatip and Cadet razors to make sure the blade is aligned. Tighten up most of the way, adjust blade as necessary with a thumb on one tab and index finger on the other, but then kind of pull the blade upward by the tabs so it sits flush on the cap, hold in place, then tighten all the way. It's a little annoying that I have to do this--DE89L and L6 always align perfectly without any extra steps--but it does work and they are good razors.

AnakiMana
10-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Is the alignment issue only affecting SOME Cadet razors? Or is it all of them?

I just bought a Three Piece 01 & 02 since they dropped the price to $20 w/free shipping.

michiganlover
10-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Is the alignment issue only affecting SOME Cadet razors? Or is it all of them?

I just bought a Three Piece 01 & 02 since they dropped the price to $20 w/free shipping.

I own a both Open Comb, and Closed Comb Cadet Razors. No alignment issues with either one. :thumbup:

AnakiMana
10-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I own a both Open Comb, and Closed Comb Cadet Razors. No alignment issues with either one. :thumbup:

Glad to hear it - that's why I ordered two, also. I love OCs, but usually need to be slower and more careful with them... which I don't always have time for. :-)

VerbaVolant
10-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Interesting.
How could that be possible? I asked the same direct question and the response I got from Joe is that:

The razors are made of solid brass, no zamask or pot metal... Joe's own words.

It would be nice if Joe would step in and clarify this issue.

michiganlover
10-14-2012, 11:09 AM
It would be nice if Joe would step in and clarify this issue.

The soild brass construction of the Cadet 3 piece models was an idea put forth in my initial review (I believe I was the 1st person to bring the Cadet razors to the attention of the board).

It was based off of the website description for the TP-26 model, which says "A nice chrome and black three piece razor with a solid brass frame."

This is the only Cadet 3 piece model described in this way.

All of the other Cadet 3 piece razors don't make any mention of what they are built out of.

However, all of the Cadet TTO models are described as having "a solid brass frame". So I wonder if this is just a error in the description (likely caused as the result of using copy/paste).

I really don't know, but I am deeply sorry if I have accidentally perpetuated false information.

CB1
10-20-2012, 08:29 AM

UPDATE: I was able to "tweak around" with the blade and get it seated evenly. I finally had some time this morning and decided to try the Cadet (TP-27 OC) for the first time. I put a Weber Bulldog handle on it and loaded with a Gillette Black. Used a Commodore 2 with MWF. A few minutes later and I was staring in the mirror at one finely clean shaven mug! Very nice. The first pass really takes off a lot of beard. I have a thick and tough beard and I had to use very short strokes on the first pass. On the second pass there didn't feel like there was much left. seeing as it's Saturday and I had a little time I did a quite unnecessary third pass and I'm about as close to BBS as I ever get. Again.....very nice :-) This razor will get a lot of use.

Lucidor
10-25-2012, 12:46 PM
We'll see how Joe at Shaveabuck responds to my e-mail.

Just a feedback. No reply to the mail sent two weeks ago or the reminder this Sunday. It's not like I can't take the loss or anything, but that razor I got had a really defective head, and I'd like to get some feedback to my e-mail even if it's just a 'no'.:glare:

El Judio Bravo
10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Just a feedback. No reply to the mail sent two weeks ago or the reminder this Sunday. It's not like I can't take the loss or anything, but that razor I got had a really defective head, and I'd like to get some feedback to my e-mail even if it's just a 'no'.:glare:

Joe doesn't seem to be much of a one for replying to e-mails, I gather. OTOH, the merchandise is good quality and is satisfactory.

I heard the Cadet heads are zinc, handles brass. They feel good in my hands. I bought two and a Sabi steel-handle model. All's well in the Jersey Skylands!

AnakiMana
10-25-2012, 04:25 PM
I've shaved several times now with both the open comb & closed comb 3-piece Cadets. I was pleasantly surprised with both. Despite loving my collection of vintage razors, and having a rotation, these Cadets shave so well that I don't want to stop using them! The closed comb is as comfortable as the Schick DE (most comfortable I'd found previously) but shaves even closer! Easy BBSes! The OC is definitely more aggressive but produces just as great a shave. I also love the balanced handles - they feel great in the hand. And as a bonus I was unaware of, the plastic cases they came in are good & handy. Color me impressed.

I do usually need to adjust the blade while tightening down, but I found that it doesn't bother me.

Masterblaster
10-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Would anyone like to comment on the shave quality comparison between a Muhle R41 and the open comb Cadet.

I can only assume that the R-41 is more agressive. I love the close (R-41) shave I get but can't use it everyday because of irritation issues.

I currently own 12 DE razors and you guys are making me think about another one...

AnakiMana
10-25-2012, 05:58 PM
I've never used an R41, but I couldn't help comparing it to my OC Gillette Pocket Edition. I feel that the Cadet is more comfortable, smoother, but still aggressive enough to make me take an extra dose of caution when using it.

Admittedly, I'm not the most experienced shaver and I still prefer the closed comb that gives me BBSes. I aspire to skill up and get better at both open combs & someday straights. That said, the Cadet is, so far, the best OC I've tried.

edit: I forgot to mention, I'd say it's not as aggressive as the Pocket Edition, but still aggressive.

JayHawkMechanic
10-25-2012, 06:34 PM
I have both and I can assure you the R41 is more aggressive. I just began using the Cadet to 26 and so far I am really liking it. It may not replace the love I have for my 41 but I can push my shave to points I wouldn't dare to with the 41, with the 26. I'm still in the trying different blade aspect but so far it appears to favor the same blades as the 41, which is the opposite end of the spectrum compared to the safety bar razors I have.

Chris

crfcom
10-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Would anyone like to comment on the shave quality comparison between a Muhle R41 and the open comb Cadet.

I can only assume that the R-41 is more agressive. I love the close (R-41) shave I get but can't use it everyday because of irritation issues.

I currently own 12 DE razors and you guys are making me think about another one...

R41 is more aggressive and more harsh. The T26 Cadet OC I have looks to be a copy of FaTip and Joris head and shaves like them also. Personally, I like this design.

michiganlover
11-02-2012, 04:23 AM
I have been using my TTO-15 for about 15 shaves so far, and am really enjoying it. It's well built, with a medium level of aggression.

Gives me a super smooth, close shave in two passes.

Considering the cost, these razors are some of the best values on the market!!

Lucidor
11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
If you get a good one that is. I haven't seen any replies to 3 mails or 1 forum message yet from Shave a buck, and It's been four weeks.

Johan
11-02-2012, 01:18 PM
If you get a good one that is. I haven't seen any replies to 3 mails or 1 forum message yet from Shave a buck, and It's been four weeks.

Well. I just wanted to back you up a little since its seems nobody else whants to touch the hot potatoe. I bought a razor from this guy and betweeen the order and the time i received it i asked him several times, using the form at his site, if he had sent it. This because i didnt receive a confirmation by mail of my buy and internet shops usually does that in my experience. It was a bit strange. I was kind of affraid that the order never got away but my paypal money did. That i got confirmation of.

It was very friendly questions. I never got any answers at all. I then realised he was a member of the same forum (one other shaving forum) iīve myself just became member of, so i sent him a less polite note where i demanded responce and othervise threated to ask the same question publicly if he kept on (what i believed then) ignoring me. I thought we sorted it out then since he answered, i even apoligised for me being a bit rude. I seriously thought that he had something wrong on his contact form at his shopping site. That he was a honest seller and so. But now seeing you experience i understand he actually are ingnoring people. And even worse after sending them a defective item. A serious seller should ofcourse help you out in such case. Maybe people that are not well known on shaving forums or not americans (people who are less a threat to him) get a different treatment? A bad treatment that is. I couldnt live with not helping a fellow out against this seller now then i realise his nature.

Lucidor feel free to pm me if you want or at Shavenook. I can tell you more. Cheers.

shave/brush
01-19-2013, 09:32 PM
The soild brass construction of the Cadet 3 piece models was an idea put forth in my initial review (I believe I was the 1st person to bring the Cadet razors to the attention of the board).

It was based off of the website description for the TP-26 model, which says "A nice chrome and black three piece razor with a solid brass frame."

This is the only Cadet 3 piece model described in this way.

All of the other Cadet 3 piece razors don't make any mention of what they are built out of.

However, all of the Cadet TTO models are described as having "a solid brass frame". So I wonder if this is just a error in the description (likely caused as the result of using copy/paste).

I really don't know, but I am deeply sorry if I have accidentally perpetuated false information.

I read on a site that sells Cadet that the head of the razor is made of chrome over zinc alloy.

Masterblaster
01-22-2013, 03:27 PM

For what it's worth, and I know you have all been left wondering all these months ...

I did indeed just recently purchase a Cadet razor from Shave-a-Buck. I ordered two weeks ago on a Thursday and had the razor by the following Tuesday even though Shave-a-buck is on the other coast. Pretty darn fast. This is for now my 13th razor in the collection. The wife, bless her, just shakes her head and wonders out loud about my sanity.

The (Cadet) razor looks fantastic and the heft of it feels fantastic in your hand. I have been shaving with it every day now for a week and a half and am still trying to decide how I feel about it. I like the fact that the Cadet doesn't irritate my skin like the R-41 does. But the closeness factor from this Cadet razor just isn't what I had hoped for when I purchased the razor. The Cadet shave is way down the aggressive scale from a Muhle R-41, purhaps too far down. The blade sitting in the Cadet razor looks like it would be more aggressive than it is in the shave. Perhaps after using an R-41 everything else is just too timid.

Also, as others have pointed out, the Cadet does indeed suffer from a blade alignment issue where one side of the blade sticks out further than the other. But that issue doesn't seem to interfere with the shave. It just gives you a more and less aggressive razor side to choose from.

Anyway for a mere $20 (or so) where else can you get this much entertainment value ?

CB1
01-22-2013, 03:49 PM
I just recently got one of the shorter handle Cadet open combs. I already had one with the lower handle and discovered I really like the head. It is second only to my R41 in my favorites. I got this one to check out the handle and I was not disappointed. I posted a pic in my profile of the handle third from the left with a Fatip Grande, an R41 and a Weber Bulldog. The Cadet handle is only lighter than the Weber and has a great feel. It fits all the razors the Weber handle fits for the most part that I could tell but alas not the Gillette New which is kind of what I had hoped it would fit.
Very nice razor and handle though!

skip
01-02-2014, 07:33 AM
I am going to revive this old thread instead of starting a new one to discuss the same thing.

I purchased a Cadet Three Piece OC, Model TP-26, from Shave A Buck ($19) at the end of last year. Over the holiday break I decided put aside my beloved Old Types and gave this razor a serious try while I wasnít half asleep and rushing to get to work in the morning. This is a quick review after 2 weeks of using it daily (I have to shave daily normally for work). I used the same routine I do every morning just not as rushed. Hot shower, bowl lather and then a three pass shave (WTG, XTG & ATG), lathering between each pass.
What I used for my shaves:

Badger brush that I have used for years and forgot the maker
Saltspring Soapworks - Stonebay shaving soap
Saltspring Soapworks - Stonebay aftershave balm
Astra SP blade (changed the blade each week like I normally do)

Razor impression:

The chrome finish is very good and even on the razor I received. I did not find any imperfections.
The handle has a decent amount of weight (90g) and is balanced nicely.
The knurling is well done and provides good wet grip.
The threaded stud coming out of the top cap is extremely long and limits the handles that the head can be used on. If this is an issue for you I am sure you can shorten it.

Shave impression:

Loading a blade is like any other three piece. However, the handle does feel like forever to unscrew and rescrew.
No blade alignment issues
The shave is more aggressive than the Old Types. Reminds me very much of the shave I get with a New.
The first shave was a bit rough with some irritation on the neck and one weeper. But the shave improved steadily each day, which I take as a sign that it was me learning the razor and not the fault of the razor.
Today my rushed three pass shave before heading into work was BBS without any irritation or weepers.

Over all I am extremely impressed with the shaves I have been getting with this razor. They have been consistent irritation free BBS every day for the last week. The overall build quality of the razor, I feel, is better than my Merkurís. No it is not on the same level as my beloved Gillette Bulldog or Single Ring, but then very few if any modern razors are. For the price point that this razor is selling at I would not hesitate to recommend it.

VerbaVolant
01-02-2014, 07:57 AM
...The threaded stud coming out of the top cap is extremely long and limits the handles that the head can be used on. If this is an issue for you I am sure you can shorten it...
Before doing that I would suggest asking the vendor first. You could also read more about brass, Zamak, corrosion, pitting...

Designing for Corrosion Resistance.pdf (http://www.interzinc.org/documents/Designing_for_Corrosion_Resistance.pdf)

Keep us posted.