PDA

View Full Version : Face Washes?

rtaylor61
06-14-2006, 01:19 AM
I know a lot of you gents use face washes on a regular basis. I've never used one. I currently use a Dove Exfoliating bar (which is very gentle) at night before bed. What is the advantage of the face wash?

Randy

Scotto
06-14-2006, 07:22 AM
My skin tends toward dryness; even the most gentle bar, given their alkaline nature, makes my skin wicked tight and flaky. After cycling through many many options, I found the Nancy Boy face wash is is the gentlest thing out there. Just great stuff. I rarely need a moisturizer afterward (at least in the warmer months)

Austin
06-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Randy, I use either Baxter wash or Men-U wash. Both are excellent.

rustyblade
06-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Another vote for Nancy Boy here.

gage0921
06-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Nancy Boy here

rtaylor61
06-14-2006, 09:30 AM
So, it the advantage that it is a more "gentle" soap" or a more moisturizing soap?

Randy

Shermdog
06-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Men-U or Cetaphil. Both great.

letterk
06-14-2006, 09:54 AM
I have traditionally used Cetaphil as I get it dirt cheap through my company store (my company is owned by Nestle which owns Cepaphil). I'm experimenting a little right now but I still like it.

Justso
06-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Nancy Boy

teamacacia
06-14-2006, 03:06 PM
I have yet to try the Nancy Boy but plan on sampling an extensive amount of their products very soon. That said, I have been using MenScience products for the past 3-4 months and very much like them. The face wash has a medicinal scent that I like (many, many do not). I also use the scrub and facial moisturizer on an as-needed basis. Again, I like the product as it, in combination with DE shaving, have drastically reduced the irritation, ingrowns and break-outs in general. Prior to MenScience I used the Glyderm Gentle Cleanser with variable success.

*Both the MS and Glyderm have alpha hydroxy acid in different concentrations and tend to dry the face out ever so slightly. The addition of some post-moisurizer readily fixes this problem.

rafikz
06-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Baxter
Nivea Sensitive
Cetaphil
Nancy Boy

Shorty Long
06-15-2006, 11:47 AM
i've tried a number of products, as i have rather oily/problem skin...clinique, zirh, cetaphil, kiehls, you name it...just started using Nancy Boy and i enjoy it very much...very gentle yet seems to control my oil production

mrob
08-20-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm bumping this thread back up to see if anyone else has some advice on face washes?

I just picked up some JASON face wash and have yet to try it--anyone have some and care to offer an idea of how this stuff works?

Also, more than happy to hear other suggestions for a good face wash!

ada8356
08-20-2006, 02:35 PM
I use the following face washes and like all of them at different times:

NB Face Wash - Daily use

Kiel's Facial Fuel Energizing Face Wash - Gives a nice 'wake-up' feeling. Sometimes leaves the skin a little dry and in need of moisturizer.

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser - This has Salicylic Acid and really works well when I have the occasional acne outbreak.

Dinder1
08-20-2006, 03:43 PM
I just ordered a whole slew of Nancy Boy products. I hope the face wash is as good as all the other NB products I have been using, and that I love so much.:thumbup:
Cheers, DJ.

TraderJoe
08-20-2006, 05:54 PM
FWIW - I use Avalon Organics Lavender Face Wash. This stuff leaves my face very soft and smooth...not dry like many other face washes I have tried (and trust me, I have tried A LOT) What caught my attention here (aside from the lack of chemicals)....the very first ingredient was organic lavender. I found this product to work well, and have since acquired the lavender hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, and face cream.

A big plus is that its readily available, at Whole Foods....and it isn't overpriced.

Forgot to say, these Avalon Organics washes (face, hair, body, hands) all lather like a banchee!

19george
08-20-2006, 08:52 PM
I use Clinique rinse foaming cleanser. Its about $19 for a (pink) tube, but it is fantastic. I used to have bad acne and everything I used either didn't work or dryed the heck out of my skin (and didn't work). The Clinique works great.

jazzbass
08-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Neutrogena Razor Defence Face Scrub
Nancy Boy Face Wash
Cetaphil Face Wash
Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap

Dave

jfm
08-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Aveeno works wonders for me. Doesn't hurt that you can find it almost anywhere.

Ashe
08-21-2006, 08:01 AM
I wash my face in the evenings with a bar of Marseille soap (not the olive one but the palm oil based) gently before going to bed. I find that people tend to wash their face too hard, regardless of what soaps they're using. If I wash my face gently it doesn't dry out at all and feels much better. I always finish up with a Sofri moisturizing gel which make my skin feel and look much better (not that I need it *cough*).

In the mornings I do the same, but then I was my complete body with the Marseille soap. After shaving I always put the moisturizing balm next to the AS balm.

TomH
08-24-2006, 08:20 AM
No face wash with soap for me, under the shower I wash the face only with warm/hot water and before I go to bed cold water is enogh, followed by a cream called: Herren-Gesichtscreme.http://www.kraeuterhaus.de/content.php?seite=shop/produkte.php&hauptrubrik=&unterrubrik=&&details=262&ansicht=vonabisz&abisz=H&produkte_first=25

It's a brand by: http://www.kraeuterhaus.de/content.php?seite=seiten/home_de.php

Without any mineral oil and almost natural ingredients.

Thomas

moses
08-24-2006, 09:23 AM
I've been using Neutrogena Oil-Free, with salicylic acid, for a while now to prevent the little outbreaks I occasionally get. I keep wondering though, if this is significantly worse for my skin that a really good homemade soap? And also whether the right use of better all natural products might prevent the outbreaks without having to use this stuff....

scotrace
08-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Kirk's Castile Soap, four times a day (Morning, after lunch, after work, bed time).

It's plain soap, lots of lather, not drying (for me) and cheap.

ada8356
08-24-2006, 09:30 AM
I've been using Neutrogena Oil-Free, with salicylic acid, for a while now to prevent the little outbreaks I occasionally get. I keep wondering though, if this is significantly worse for my skin that a really good homemade soap? And also whether the right use of better all natural products might prevent the outbreaks without having to use this stuff....

While I don't use 'all natural' products, if I don't keep the Netrogena in my rotation I inevitably end up with outbreaks.

I feel like my NB and Kiehl's are quality products, but if I use them exclusively, at some point I will start looking like a high schooler again!

Dennis
08-24-2006, 11:06 AM
I tend toward oily skin, especially around the nose and forehead. For a long time I thought I needed cleansers for "oily" skin. I have used the gamut from Sea Breeze to regular soap, to Dr. Bronners (peppermint!) and the latest was the lineup from Clinique for Men (the oily skin bar soap, the face scrub, the scruffing lotion and the moisturizer). I felt fairly resigned to my oiliness.

I then tried something different - I went the opposite to completely gentle. This happened accidently when Nancy Boy included a Gentle Fash Wash sample in a shave cream order (those shifty dudes...). Well, the shave cream sucked (yeah yeah, ymmv and all that...) but the face wash was the bomb. It feels like you are putting a scented water on your face - no scrubbing sensation or soap and suds all over the place. But ever since I started using it, my skin has gotten noticably softer and less oily. I have since picked up some Cetaphil to see how that would work and it is about the same as the NB as far as cleansing, but the NB is a better product IMO.

Dennis

PottyDoctor
08-24-2006, 01:20 PM
I've used the NB but ran out and decided to try "PURPOSE" Gentle Cleansing Wash. I picked it up at Wal-Mart for around $5 I think. It is made by Johnson & Johnson.

It's claims are: Soap-free. Hypoallergenic. Won't clog pores. Dermatologist recommended. Dermatologist recommended for effective yet gentle cleansing. Cleanses without drying or irritating. This foaming cleanser is 100% soap-free, so it removes dirt, oil and make-up without stripping or drying like soap can. And it won't sting your eyes, so it's ideal for removing eye make-up. It won't clog pores. Unlike some cleansers, Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash is 100% oil-free and non-comedogenic, so it won't clog pores or leave residue. Even those with sensitive skin can use it twice a day for a healthy looking, healthy feeling complexion.

I like it better than the NB because it does not sting my eyes, it rinses easily, leaves my face feeling clean without a dried out feeling and it is available locally at a good value.

TraderJoe
08-24-2006, 01:43 PM
And it won't sting your eyes, so it's ideal for removing eye make-up.

:eek6: Does it do a good job of removing your makeup? :laugh:

PottyDoctor
08-24-2006, 05:25 PM
:eek6: Does it do a good job of removing your makeup? :laugh:

Somehow I knew I should have edited that out??? :lol: :lol: :lol: