PDA

View Full Version : A necessary RELAPSE today. Am I going back to CARTS!

nrv216
06-21-2012, 08:03 PM
No I am not.

So I woke up really late and hungover this morning:blushing: and knew I would not have the time for my daily two pass straight razor shave. I have heard many tales of people trying carts after years of shaving with superior products and coming to realize that improved technique and better software made shaving with a cart tolerable. This was not the case for me.

I grabbed the old gilette fusion from the closet and built and adequate lather with my AoS pure badger brush and EJ sea buckthorn soap. I applied the lather and let it soften my beard, not knowing what to do with myself as I would normally be stropping my razor while this took place. Rinsed off the lather and reapplied (loving the smell of the sea buckthorn by the way) and grabbed my plastic foe. As I dragged the fairly new cartridge blade (it had only been used for light touch ups before I converted to straights completely) across my face I was not impressed. The flimsy tilty head bounced around and almost vibrated over my thickly stubbled face. The sensation was almost itchy?!?! I was going to relather for a second pass but event thinking about going xtg or atg made my skin burn! I finished off with the alum block and the VEG and was surprised that there was not much burn. Maybe it wasn't so bad.

I made it to work and looked in the mirror and that is when my opinion shifted to completely negative. I had a frickin 5 o'clock shadow two hours after I shaved! Also, those little red bumps/splotches along my neck that I used to be plagued with had returned in full force after they had been diminishing steadily over the last few months. In short, although the cart may have not caused much burn that comes with the occasional "extreme exfoliation" that novice straight users often incur, it did not provide a smooth shave and it also came with itching and tugging. Had I done multiple passes I believe that the resulting shave might have increased marginally while the irritation would have multiplied exponentially.

So while, I do keep the cart beast in the closet for an emergency BARELY SAS or for more "base" tasks, I have truly seen the light and could NEVER go back!

nrv216

the_edski
06-21-2012, 08:18 PM
If you are that late and a Fusion tears your face up something fierce, don't even worry about shaving. A days growth is better looking than an irritated, just barely SAS.

nrv216
06-21-2012, 08:42 PM
I would have just gone without but I just finished giving disciplinary action to an employee over improper grooming and could not do that. I would have looked pretty silly and hypocritical.

nrv216

the_edski
06-21-2012, 08:50 PM
I don't know about you, but I consider tearing ones face up with a Fusion to be "improper grooming"! :001_tt2:

nrv216
06-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Haha, you are surely correct but the redness from the fusion was definitive proof that I did shave today; even if it was poorly.

nrv216

drocu
06-21-2012, 08:59 PM
What about keeping a Schick injector around? I use mine for quick shaves when I'm running a little behind. Much better than cartridges but easy and quick, even if you're hungover.

Go West Young Man
06-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Going from a straight to ANY handled razor (DE, SE, injector, cart) would probably give you at least one bad shave, the techniques are completely different. Heck, going from one DE to another takes me a couple days to get used to sometimes!

DaveL
06-21-2012, 09:14 PM
The fusion used to really chew up my neck. If you need a cart for quick shaves try a Gillette Sensor 2 blade. My experience has been more blades = more irratation.

Renato1
06-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Why is everyone around here so anti-cartridge?

They're just like DE razors, some work well with one's particular skin/hair/soap combination, and some don't. YMMV applies to them too.

I tried a King of Shaves Azor a few nights back, and it didn't work well on me. I tried Gillette Guard, it worked pretty well. Last night I tried a local supermarket's house brand, cheap three blade cartridge razor, and got one of the closest shaves of my life with zero nicks or irritation - better than Fusion, Mach 3 and the Schick equivalents. I've been rubbing my face in wonderment all day. Now I know what I have to look for in a DE.
Regards,
Renato

orchyboy
06-22-2012, 02:44 AM
I have a few gillette disposables in the deep dark reaches of my bathroom cupboard in case I ever need them. Though I'd never go back to one of those cartridge monstrosities...

BallisticBurrito
06-22-2012, 03:17 AM
Private Security eh?
When I was a security officer I would go a couple days without shaving...back then my facial hair came in slow enough nobody noticed. :lol:

musicman1951
06-22-2012, 03:41 AM
I often think I could stop after one pass if in a hurry. It ain't BBS, but it's as good as I used to get with my electric shaver.

harmoni
06-22-2012, 10:31 AM

Not everyone, but yes, the "carts are useless" members can be very vocal. with some even going as far as to see the most prominent cart manufacturer, Gillette, as the shaving version of the evil empire:a45:. As for the OP, perhaps a combination of being late, under the weather and wielding a used blade may not have helped your shave?

Alejandro1969
06-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Wake up man! Forget carts! It's a lazy habit that will end in tears! Viva la de!

Go West Young Man
06-22-2012, 10:37 AM

We're not.

Newbies tend to get religious about DE shaving at first and bag on canned foams, cartridges, etc, but most of us calm down after a while and realize that technique trumps tools every time.

Renato1
06-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Not everyone, but yes, the "carts are useless" members can be very vocal. with some even going as far as to see the most prominent cart manufacturer, Gillette, as the shaving version of the evil empire:a45:.

Yes, and a lot of them seem to forget that Gillette still makes many of their beloved brands DE blades.
Regards,
Renato

Renato1
06-22-2012, 11:31 AM
We're not.

Newbies tend to get religious about DE shaving at first and bag on canned foams, cartridges, etc, but most of us calm down after a while and realize that technique trumps tools every time.
Yes, there is a lot of demonising going on.
Renato

smalltank
06-22-2012, 11:33 AM
wait...2 pass shave?...lucky...:wink2:

Go West Young Man
06-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Yes, there is a lot of demonising going on.
Renato

It's like someone who's just quit drinking, he gets to be a giant pain in the arse for a while talking about it :wink2:

kingfisher
06-22-2012, 12:29 PM
I still use carts, but only when I need to.

Now that I have my DE technique down and have found a DE that really works for me, I have no desire to use a cart. A week or two ago I tried an experiment. I shaved the left half of my face with my FaTip and the right half of my face with a Schick Hydro 3. I got a good shave on both sides of my face, but the advantage went to the FaTip.

Still, when I travel I carry on a Trac II, a Guard, or an Atra. And when I don't get up with the alarm or have to go in especially early to work, I resort to the Trac II (mostly).

nrv216
06-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah I did jump directly to straights. Now I just have to resist buying one of those perty DEs I keep seeing on the B/S/T!

nrv216

linty1
06-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Huh that is a pretty neat idea! Fun read.

nrv216
06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Hey all,

I am not demonizing carts (sorry if it sounded like that but I am just a dramatic and sarcastic writer), I just don't like them. But as the great rule of YMMV states, they may be just fine for someone else. Also, I am a Straight Razor user. No DEs for me. So as much as I am indifferent about gilette and their products ( I am actually very pro big business) I know none of my razors are made by them.

The real learning experience here was that I can get about six months of shaves (and still going strong) with my SR setup and apparently the cart that I used which had only been used a few times yielded a much worse shave. I used the same principles and technique and only changed one thing: the tool. That comes about as close to a scientific experiment as I am going to get when it comes to shaving.

I felt that this thread was more celebratory in nature because I now know that I am getting better shaves with my straights and the steep learning curve is starting to pay off.

nrv216

Jim
06-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Please stop by the B&B courtesy desk and return you DE card.:w00t:

Mad Man
06-22-2012, 04:46 PM
I can get a GREAT shave with my Shick vibratey plastic thingy when I travel; prep, lather etc doesn't change at the risk of a bump or two.

The lessons learned with a DE help.

mharris127
06-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Please stop by the B&B courtesy desk and return you DE card.:w00t:

It sounds like he went directly from carts to straights so he may not have a DE card to return. Anyone with the dexterity and family jewels to use a straight razor is a better shaver than I with my DE or cheap disposable (can't take DE blades on an airplane). As for three-bladed monstrosities, I tried a Bic three-blade disposable once with puck and brush -- found it very irritating to say the least. I will take a DE any day over three or five-blade monstrosities!

nrv216
06-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Yeah I did jump directly to straights. Now I just have to avoid the temptation of buying one of those purty DEs I keep seeing on the B/S/T!

nrv216

fijiblue
06-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Meh, I use el cheapo carts when I have to fly. Not great, but better than not shaving. Technique goes a long way, even with the hotel issue single blades.

Grumpy_Bottom
06-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I'd think a $8 tech would probably have done the job. WTG pass shouldn't take any longer than a fusion, and I can't imagine it wouldn't give less irritation.

lt114
06-23-2012, 05:24 PM
The Bump Fighter/Trac II works well for me when I travel and can't use a de.
I don't get any irritation but will get a red bump or two now and again. It's an otherwise great shave using normal prep.