PDA

View Full Version : a california shaving get together

72plymsatellite
05-21-2012, 02:48 PM
i think it would be cool to have a get together with other people living in california. actually get to meet some of people on here. idk how many people would actually do it but i think it would be kinda cool. how many of u in cali would actually like to meet? it could be from the neighboring states as well. u feel like making the drive then who am i to say u cant come lol. this isnt me actually setting anything up. i was just wondering how many would actualy like for it to happen. i mean i would think that there are at least 20 people within a 4 hour radius of where i live that are into the classic wet shaving scene.

santamariasteve
05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
And what would we do after meeting and shaking hands? Shave?

BlackBard
05-21-2012, 03:04 PM
And what would we do after meeting and shaking hands? Shave?

Maybe the OP would buy us a drink at the Inn.

Krona Kruiser
05-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Pass out sample soaps/creams and Treets. Who knows?

drlvegas
05-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Make the meet in Las Vegas. You'll figure out what to do once you get here.

72plymsatellite
05-21-2012, 05:59 PM
i didnt think of a plan or anything. i didnt want to think of how to plan the whole day i just wanted to see how many would actually go lol.

what to do would be the biggest thing to figure out tho. i mean what is there to do besides drink and maybe show off some of ur shaving gear in like a show and tell type thing. heck idk maybe shaving samples would be good. it would give people an incentive to come.

pipskicks
05-21-2012, 06:11 PM
How far away from LA are you plymsatellite?

NexlevMM
05-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Id be interested, but like the other posters said, what would we do? not sure if chatting about the razors and brushes we have would keep us going. Drinks? And maybe a few workshops for newbies about loading brushes and other tidbits? Just tossing some ideas around.

Krona Kruiser
05-21-2012, 06:18 PM
We Californians always have to have a "catch." We can't just meet and hang out. We always need a little something else. But why not have Mantic59 donate his time to us or skype us...

malocchio
05-21-2012, 06:27 PM
how about a williams lathering contest ?

72plymsatellite
05-21-2012, 08:31 PM
How far away from LA are you plymsatellite?

i live in fresno so about 4-6 hours from LA depending on traffic. i HATE the traffic in LA, idk how people can live there. u can keep it.

72plymsatellite
05-21-2012, 08:33 PM
We Californians always have to have a "catch." We can't just meet and hang out. We always need a little something else. But why not have Mantic59 donate his time to us or skype us...

lol yea thats funny how there has to be a catch, but at the same time if there wasnt a catch then after we met, ate a lunch, and talked about stuff then what would we do? it would be a long trip just to meet someone u dont even know for a couple hours??? there would have to be something planned or i dont htink people would come

retturn2blades
05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
lol yea thats funny how there has to be a catch, but at the same time if there wasnt a catch then after we met, ate a lunch, and talked about stuff then what would we do? it would be a long trip just to meet someone u dont even know for a couple hours??? there would have to be something planned or i dont htink people would come
Maybe you could start a California RAD 12-step encounter group. :)

BrookR1
05-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Maybe they could shave and then have a whisker growing contest. That'll provide lots of excitement!

BrentS
05-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Let's do it here in Fresno. We can meet at Whole Foods, have a piece of pizza for $2.50 and then take a tour of their Kiss My Face selection.

i live in fresno so about 4-6 hours from LA depending on traffic. i HATE the traffic in LA, idk how people can live there. u can keep it.

rxonmymind
05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Had a Rolex meet once. Now that was something. Shaving? Hmm. Someone would have to bring a serious collection. Nothing like hands on looking at your holy grail. A bit cheaper than my watch holy grail:laugh:

kingping
05-21-2012, 09:39 PM
This state is too big! I had an opportunity to drive from Boston to western Mass a few weeks ago--only took a few hours! Here at home a few hours is just a city to city drive; San Diego is nine hours at least from here, and I'm towards the middle of the state! Anyway, I digress...

I must say that I like the idea of a meet-up, but Nor-Cal and So-Cal seem like two different worlds. I saw talk of a Bay area get together a while back, and I've hooked up with a member here for a beer a few months back (which was cool). I'll keep an eye on this thread...

72plymsatellite
05-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Had a Rolex meet once. Now that was something. Shaving? Hmm. Someone would have to bring a serious collection. Nothing like hands on looking at your holy grail. A bit cheaper than my watch holy grail:laugh:

yea getting to see a few really cool pieces from each person would be cool. i mean its not a rolex meet.... :a47: did u drive there in ur maserati??? or a ford pinto cuz u spent all ur money on the watch lol

rxonmymind
05-22-2012, 12:29 AM
yea getting to see a few really cool pieces from each person would be cool. i mean its not a rolex meet.... :a47: did u drive there in ur maserati??? or a ford pinto cuz u spent all ur money on the watch lol

That's true of pens, watches, razors, etc. To see it in person certainly changes the mental gears from want to need and vice versa.
Doesn't have to be expensive watches. As for my ride then.....1988 Mazda RX7 convertible :) which I no longer have. Sniff. Btw, this is a waaay cooler hobby:thumbup1: (and I might add there are gentleman in both forums)

KMF79
05-22-2012, 02:10 AM
I'm cool with the idea of getting together as long as there's beer involved.

darkxshiki
05-22-2012, 08:16 AM
sounds interesting. i live about 20 miles away from downtown LA. yeah what could be done after knocking down a few beers.

72plymsatellite
05-22-2012, 09:41 AM
That's true of pens, watches, razors, etc. To see it in person certainly changes the mental gears from want to need and vice versa.
Doesn't have to be expensive watches. As for my ride then.....1988 Mazda RX7 convertible :) which I no longer have. Sniff. Btw, this is a waaay cooler hobby:thumbup1: (and I might add there are gentleman in both forums)

thats a cool car. i was just teasing u about the mas or pinto. there are gentleman in just about any hobby but there are also the baddies. i find that there are more gentleman in whatever it is u are doing. u just hear about the baddies more

72plymsatellite
05-22-2012, 09:55 AM
to include the whole state of ca i think somewhere in the central cali area would work best. if its up north then the south wont come cuz of the long drive and vise versa. maybe the central coast would be cool. i think in carmel there is a shaving shop that has some pretty good stuff. thats what i have heard on here anyway. last time i went there i wasnt into the shaving scene. maybe a nice summer meeting. u cant beat the central coast weather.

pipskicks
05-22-2012, 10:37 AM
We should all split a few tons of soap so we can shave on shipping!

I know there are people closer to Fresno, that's a bit of a drive. We have an LA meetup thread in the meetup forum....
I'd meet closer to LA, Fresno is a bit of a drive!

mchad21
05-22-2012, 11:15 AM
No way I'm driving from the Bay Area to LA or even Fresno (Rather just drive to Vegas or Tahoe), but I could meet up in Santa Cruz for some surfing and a ride on the Big Dipper (if you're from SC you'll know what I mean).

72plymsatellite
05-22-2012, 11:42 AM
i suppose there would be more to do in vegas. thats still an 8 hour drive and kinda expensive depending on what u do there. maybe its just easier to split california into thirds north, central, and south. they could be something like chapters and a bigger meet involving the whole state could be held in a bigger place like vegas.

why do u californians need to make things so difficult lol

darkxshiki
05-22-2012, 11:45 AM
i suppose there would be more to do in vegas. thats still an 8 hour drive and kinda expensive depending on what u do there. maybe its just easier to split california into thirds north, central, and south. they could be something like chapters and a bigger meet involving the whole state could be held in a bigger place like vegas.

why do u californians need to make things so difficult lol
it something in the water maybe =D. plus we are one of the longest states. agree dividing up the meet would be better then have a large meet.

KMF79
05-22-2012, 11:50 PM
sounds interesting. i live about 20 miles away from downtown LA. yeah what could be done after knocking down a few beers.

Knock back a few more. Lol

pipskicks
05-22-2012, 11:57 PM
People here won't even drive to the valley, especially in the summer...

barsuk
05-23-2012, 01:18 AM
North get in the van and drive to Vegas to meet people from the south that got there in the van 2 hours earlier. Sounds funny but actually been done before:wink2:

GreekGuy
05-23-2012, 01:22 AM
I'd be down for coming up to LA. Any further than that though, I'm out. We all know that nobody is going to drive down to SD, so I think LA is a happy middle ground for the SD, LA, IE, and CC folks

Laz
05-23-2012, 01:22 AM
I like the idea and will follow the thread. Smaller closer meetings would probably be easier. I live in the LA area.

pipskicks
05-23-2012, 08:29 AM
We should make an LA group...

We could always just do a group buy with no shipping lol. I can bring stuff to PIF that I would give to my friends in LA since the shipping is ridiculous for some items...

72plymsatellite
05-23-2012, 12:59 PM

We could always just do a group buy with no shipping lol. I can bring stuff to PIF that I would give to my friends in LA since the shipping is ridiculous for some items...

it seems like there is a good group of people living in the LA area. i think making a group for the LA area would be easy for u.

KMF79
05-23-2012, 01:44 PM

I like the idea of a group buy and PIFs are always a nice thing.

pipskicks
05-24-2012, 03:17 PM
How about a meet-up here?
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/293561-The-BullGoose-quot-Boutique-quot-Coming-Soon?p=4144459#post4144459

Krona Kruiser
05-24-2012, 03:21 PM
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/293561-The-BullGoose-quot-Boutique-quot-Coming-Soon?p=4144459#post4144459

Doesn't seem bad at all.

I'd be down for coming up to LA. Any further than that though, I'm out. We all know that nobody is going to drive down to SD, so I think LA is a happy middle ground for the SD, LA, IE, and CC folks

+1. IE folk like me!

barsuk
05-24-2012, 03:22 PM

I am so in! Great idea!

gaj90027
05-24-2012, 04:44 PM
If any of you guys that live near or work in Downtown LA I would be up for happy hour, lunch, coffee, smoke break, etc.

Inland Empire guys, I live in Upland if you want to meet up on a weekend evening.

Samples...I got those!

OP - I used to live in Merced for my last year of high school, spent plenty of time in Fresno for shows/concerts though.

valleyrider
06-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I say if we're doing an LA meet up we do it over in the Long Beach area, I like the Hotel Maya by Doubletree over there.

For the guys up north if you plan a meetup for the last weekend of July in Monterey we could meet up at bike night Friday on cannery row, then head out to Laguna Seca for MotoGP and catch the races Sunday.

barsuk
06-04-2012, 08:08 PM
I think it would be of common interest if we met at BullGoose after he opens :drool:

Krona Kruiser
06-04-2012, 08:10 PM
We'd make him some cash especially if we got an additional 10-15% off for the gathering.

barsuk
06-04-2012, 08:12 PM
I bet we would get it! Plus we can touch everything:w00t:

pipskicks
06-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Now hopefully he'll have a reason to get his store opened quickly :)

NexlevMM
06-04-2012, 10:06 PM
I bet we would get it! Plus we can touch everything:w00t:

+1 on the touching! :lol:

barsuk
06-04-2012, 10:10 PM
I think Phil needs help, lets set the date and order food, he'll have no other choice but open before that:wink2:

Jim
06-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Meets can be a blast, the NY/NJ crowd has had many G-T-G's over the last few years and no one was bored I can tell you that. Usually food and drink are involved and many custom titles have emerged at them.

Captain Pre-Capsize
06-06-2012, 05:17 PM
We always have a good time at the Chicago get togethers. “Yours Truly” has been known to donate an item for a raffle if anyone out there is interested in a raffle item. This would be of the wet and fragrant variety... Just give me the word if it all comes together.

Le Buzz
06-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a cool idea. It would be awesome to eventually get it really big. Imagine a huge traditional wet shaving convention. You could sample soaps/creams, sell off your excess stash, look at rare items like double rings and such, to those that say "but what would we do?" there's plenty to do. Just think how the retailers would benefit from such an event!

This hobby is just as interesting as other hobbies with much larger communities, their conventions seem to be well received. Why not have ours?

barsuk
06-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Drinks, food, and sharp blades! We gotta get this moving faster, can't wait:001_tongu

pipskicks
06-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Just an FYI on a serious note, we would help out with BullGoose's opening perhaps, but according to the posts, they seem to be making almost a temporary, really small retail area for appointments. That being said, I don't know how big this place is, and what he'd have to do to set it up for the large amount of B&Bers in the LA area.

So while it may help them, let's remember it would be a favor. If I recall correctly I believe he was only going to set up a few items and keep the rest in a warehouse and eventually make a complete showroom. That being said, if we are going to come in and expect to see everything, someone is going to need to be fetching items from the warehouse for us....

Either way, it doesn't sound like a normal shop's grand opening due to it's limited Brick and Mortar uses, so I think we should still remember to be thankful if this can be done, and don't take the attitude of "we're helping him out" because this may take a lot of work for the BullGoose staff.

I really want this to happen, I think we need to look at it correctly though, which would be that it would be a favor to let us congregate in what's supposed to be just a location for appointments.

barsuk
06-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Why don't we bring Phil in here and ask him? We certainly wouldn't want to inconvenience him or be a nuisance. Maybe we meet somewhere close by and just go see his place for an hour or so?

rxonmymind
07-17-2012, 02:17 AM
Drinks, food, and sharp blades! We gotta get this moving faster, can't wait:001_tongu

WHAT could possibly go wrong with that equation?.. Lol...

barsuk
07-17-2012, 09:03 AM
WHAT could possibly go wrong with that equation?.. Lol...

Oh man, I forgot this thread existed, lol. Anyone still up for the meet? Phil had moved but is still in transition, I think.

alx gilmore
07-17-2012, 01:55 PM
I am showing some interest but only found this thread today. I would be coming from the BayArea. Alx

barsuk
07-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Cool, come on down. We gotta resurrect this thread to see if there is any interest.

Laz
07-17-2012, 02:49 PM
I am still interested!

NexlevMM
07-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Lol id be up for something, you LA guys are only two hours away.

Vagabeard
07-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Greetings from San Diego! I'd be down to meet some fellow shave enthusiasts.

barsuk
07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Welcome to B&B! Subscribe and wait :biggrin1:

NexlevMM
07-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Welcome to B&B! Subscribe and wait :biggrin1:

:lol: Emphasis on the wait part.

fast14riot
08-11-2012, 01:02 AM
Well seems like you LA guys are the majority. I'm in Stockton and only know of one other member here that is close by. Still haven't met ftf yet. That being said, I will not be driving to LA for beer and razor talk, just can't justify the $300 in gas alone!

-Xander

barsuk
08-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Well, we could drink Jacks, you in now? :biggrin1:

mikeschu
08-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Subscribed & watching. I could probably set up a carpool from SD if it's in LA somewhere. North of LA gets a little tough with drive time.

mikeschu
08-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Well seems like you LA guys are the majority. I'm in Stockton and only know of one other member here that is close by. Still haven't met ftf yet. That being said, I will not be driving to LA for beer and razor talk, just can't justify the $300 in gas alone!

That's when you take the train down - it's cheaper and you gain valuable drinking time and money to spend at BullGoose or WCS. :lol:

mikeschu
08-27-2012, 08:17 PM
... and I killed the thread. So I try to revive it.

If I choose to drive to LA over this coming weekend (Labor Day, I know).... who would want to meet up?

barsuk
08-27-2012, 08:22 PM
I would but I am going away with family :001_unsur

NexlevMM
08-27-2012, 08:28 PM
I would but I am going away with family :001_unsur

Same, things havent been falling into place at all this month.

elmerwood
11-27-2012, 03:03 PM

-Xander

One other member here that is close by....that must be me! We need to grab a brew, check out each others collections and shoot the breeze. Also lets get a razor coated already!

Nosebud
12-11-2012, 04:40 AM
One other member here that is close by....that must be me! We need to grab a brew, check out each others collections and shoot the breeze. Also lets get a razor coated already!

-Xander
I'm brand noob to the scene, but I am in Stockton as well. Would love to check out your gear and get advice.
-Wes

KindestCutofAll
01-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Subscribed in Riverside.

barneykiller
01-11-2013, 03:52 AM
Mmmm subscribed as well.

catherix
01-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Subscribed, but I'm a bit north of you gents. Outside Sacramento.

Gary H
01-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Riverside Ca here.

AudioNut
01-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Tustin, CA here.

Would love to meet some fellow wetshaves and share tips, tricks and try out scents.

72plymsatellite
02-03-2013, 02:21 AM
now i know i started this thread but to tell u the truth i dont wanna put forth the effort to form these groups. i do feel that this thread is very useful though. you can easily meet up the people around u on your own time. there are just so many people in ca and like mentioned before this sate os too long. so go forth and make friends on your own. u dont need someone to form an actual group to get in contact with someone for a drink. go through all of the replys and see who is in your aea. just my thought.

Shenanigans
04-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Anyone near San Diego or southern side of Riverside county?

Demaskee
04-22-2013, 02:20 PM
I'll be moving to the Lompoc/Santa Maria area in July.

mikeschu
04-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Anyone near San Diego or southern side of Riverside county?

There are at least a couple of us in SD. I met Price a couple of weeks ago.