PDA

View Full Version : My Vie-Long "Museum"

Alum of Potash
04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
A few weeks ago, Juan from Gifts & Care told me that he had seen some older unused Vie-Long brushes during a recent trip to the company. And being a big fan of Vie-Long brushes in general, I asked him if he could take a picture of them during his next visit. True to his word, he sent me a couple of shots, and offered an extremely good deal for them, so I immediately snatched up five out of around eight that he had shown me. So I thought I would post a few pix of my own for all you Vie-Long fans out there. In the first picture, from left to right, is a banded horse-hair, the middle three are horse-badger blends, and the final brush is a natural horse-hair. What I find interesting here is how some of the hairs vary in color: the horse knots seem yellower than the contemporary V-L brushes I have seen, and some of the horse-badger blends have a greyer color than contemporary versions. Is this just the effect of aging? Also interesting for me is the varying color scheme of the handles from what is currently available from V-L. And that metal-handled brush is really made from metal. Definitely the heaviest shaving brush I have held. Juan also told me that around thirty new brushes will be introduced by Vie-Long in the next week or two, so I am interested to see how these may differ from the current pack, as well as these older ones. Finally, attached are some shots of the period packaging that accompanied the brushes--for what shaving brush museum would be complete without an appreciation of the original packaging as well?

Krona Kruiser
04-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Wow. VIe-longs are wonderful brushes. They don't have the "perfect" look of mass produced brushes, they've got character. Kind of like a "Spanish Simpson."

LeftyT
04-27-2012, 09:58 AM
I really like #3! Actually, I kinda want it.

Bengal Tiger
04-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Those are some beautiful brushes. I may have to look into Vie-Long horsehair. The Spaniards may be on to something.

Pgg365247
04-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Very cool... It is nice to see a collection of the less common seen brushes. Lately I have been contemplating getting either a Vie Long BG2012 Silvertip or ordering a beehive M&F. Decisions, Decisions...

DougieB
04-27-2012, 10:54 AM
I use a 13061 horse hair brush. Great Brush for face lathering.
I like the 3 on the right.

smalltank
04-27-2012, 10:58 AM
right green handle is nice!

InHotWater
04-27-2012, 12:31 PM
They make some nice stuff, and not pricey when compared to some other companies.

cvac
04-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Love the handles on these. Would love to see them bring back those styles with a nice silvertip knot like the BGS2012 (which is my favorite brush right now).

taco8slo
04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
How much is admission?

Mike'sWorld
04-27-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm envious. What suprises me is how little the designs have changed over the years. Any idea how old these are?

LeftyT
04-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Quite possibly up to 15 years. I might have looked into it. :)

celestino
04-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Beautiful images!

malocchio
04-27-2012, 07:42 PM
what a score !! beautiful horses...

xraygun
04-27-2012, 07:42 PM
#5 would probably like to visit my Vie-Longs. Send it over.:lol:

Alum of Potash
04-28-2012, 12:49 AM
I'm envious. What suprises me is how little the designs have changed over the years. Any idea how old these are?

I agree. The form of the designs is largely unchanged. My guess is that they are not all that old--dating back to the halcyon days of cellophane and card-stock packaging, rather than clear plastic, if that's any indication. And no Universal Product Codes... 10 to 15 years old is what Juan seemed to infer.

ziplepingouin
04-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Ver nice brushes, thanks for sharing!

Alum of Potash
04-28-2012, 01:12 AM
How much is admission?

LOL--looks like you've already snuck past the guard at the desk to get into the show!

Rufust445
04-28-2012, 07:59 AM
Nr. 5 looks very much like the current 12705 "Peleon," but with a green handle instead of dark red.

Songwind
04-28-2012, 11:15 PM
#2 and #3 handles look excellent. I like a brush with a pronounced flare to the bottom.

whiteweed
04-29-2012, 05:13 AM
Thank You for posting the pictures. Where is a good site to buy a Vie Long (horse hair of some type) . The brushes I have seen all have a loft set to high for me. I would like to find one set at 50mm or so. I have seen them on the forum , but do not see them on the web.

mftoms59
04-29-2012, 05:37 AM
I like the one on both ends, especially the Green handle which I wouldn't mind buying. The boxes were also used during the Christmas Season, when Juan ran a special, you could qualify for a free Brush/Brushes, depending on the amount spent purchasing Vie-Long Brushes, I don't recall all the details but I did qualify for three free Brushes.

mftoms59
04-29-2012, 05:49 AM
Thank You for posting the pictures. Where is a good site to buy a Vie Long . The brushes I have seen all have a loft set to high for me. I would like to find one set at 50mm or so. I have seen them on the forum , but do not see them on the web.

You can have the loft customized @ Gifts & Care, no extra charge. When you go to checkout, write your Loft request in the comments section, I recommend including the Brush model, especially if more than one Brush is purchased. Additionally, if your just ordering one or two brushes, I'd recommend adding a La Toja Regular or Sensitive SC or Shave Stick to your order since the shipping charge will stay the same price. For ~$1.35 more, I'd suggest Courier Express which expedites the delivery by at least one week.

G&C; http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/catalog/the-pleasure-of-shaving/shaving-brushes-badger-horse-a-boar/horse-shaving-brushes.html