PDA

View Full Version : W&B in Black Horn

mycarver
04-01-2012, 12:02 PM
A third one came off the bench this week. I was sent the bare blade ( less scales ) for a clean up and polish. There was at one time an etching covering most of this blade as the ghost of it was barely visible.

As time went on it was decided that I would also make up some scales for it. I don't think there is anything as classic as polished black horn. As I said in my emails,, it's as stylish as a woman in the little black dress. Always looks good.
My goal, since the blade was in relatively good shape but for some hone wear that I took care of, was to restore it to what would look like a new razor.
I used a slab of black horn ( that's what it's sitting on in the photos) and imitated the shape of an original scale. I also did triple stacked washers on the wedge end and double stacked on the hinge to simulate the bullseyes. I finished it off with a pure white wedge for the contrast.
I like to think this is pretty close to what it may have looked like when new. And as always trying hard to preserve the stamping.

Now just hone them up and off they go.

mycarver
04-01-2012, 12:04 PM
a few more shots and one with the restored razor sitting with one of it's original cousins for comparison.
This razor has such a solid feel in the hand.

Goomer
04-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Another amazing job!

whavens
04-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Great job, you are 100% correct the black horn looks outstanding. Wonderful work.

Oblique Human
04-01-2012, 03:54 PM
The razor looks better than new if that's possible. Great work and very nice pictures too. I see another pic of these magnificent straights and I'm going to convert from DE.

mycarver
04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
The razor looks better than new if that's possible. Great work and very nice pictures too. I see another pic of these magnificent straights and I'm going to convert from DE.

Thanks guys,
Well if you don't want to be tempted you had better leave this area quickly as more and more beautiful blades have a habit of showing up!
But , go ahead,, get one, you know you really want one, don't you? Give your AD free reign.

JerimiahC
04-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Very nice! I love it!

Gamma
04-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Love those big W&Bs... nice work there, well done. Kudos!

Oblique Human
04-02-2012, 02:27 AM
Thanks guys,
Well if you don't want to be tempted you had better leave this area quickly as more and more beautiful blades have a habit of showing up!
But , go ahead,, get one, you know you really want one, don't you? Give your AD free reign.

Thanks Mark, I've already decided to make the transition to straights this September. Still have to decide on my first good razor though. I'm thinking about practicing with a local razor first.. they get awful reviews but a friend of a friend mass produces and exports straights. He said he would have one made for me to spec. I'll keep you posted about that.

Badger & Bengall
04-02-2012, 02:32 AM
I love your work! That's a classy and understated razor.

Obiwan
04-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Awesome job!

Prof. Moriarty
04-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Absolutely fantastic, as all your razors seem to be :thumbsup:

mycarver
04-02-2012, 08:37 AM
As is my usual custom, I hone them up, and take at least one or two passes to see if it's right. It' s the only real way to know. These big ole' W&B's just have a such a solid feel to them, especially this one. Quiet, solid, just has that certain feel in your hand. Like a bank vault.
Thanks again guys. You know how to make my day.
Mark

Raithskar
04-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Wow! I have got to get my 7/8 Barbers use rescaled! Damn fine job mycarver!

I agree. You just can't beat black horn, especially with these old Butchers!

Jon

mdole
04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Truly stunning, beautiful work sir!

-Matt-

barneykiller
04-05-2012, 03:17 PM
That's a classy and understated razor.

That's exactly the kind of razor I wanted this to be. Just another outstanding example of mycarver's excellent work. I shaved with the razor this morning and fell in love with everything about it. Perfect heft and whisper quiet when cutting through the hairs. A true classic. Thank you again for the restore Mark.

mycarver
04-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Oh it was my pleasure. I really enjoyed working with you to bring your ideas to life. I'm so happy you enjoy it and it became the razor you hoped for.
Mark

Doc226
04-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Wow

Wid
04-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Very nice, black horn in a favorite of mine. Just lovely.

grump
04-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Very nice! Smooth and flowing as a razor should look.

Pkrankow
04-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Very nice.

I hope the W&B I am working on turns out at least half as nice! (I am going with camel bone though)

How do you get such a high finish on your blade? My blade is pretty clean, and I would not be upset with it in its current condition, but I have it in pieces and would like it to be as good as reasonably possible.

Phil

tomjr
04-06-2012, 09:56 PM
very, very nice.

mycarver
04-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Very nice.

I hope the W&B I am working on turns out at least half as nice! (I am going with camel bone though)

How do you get such a high finish on your blade? My blade is pretty clean, and I would not be upset with it in its current condition, but I have it in pieces and would like it to be as good as reasonably possible.

Phil

Phil, just the normal sanding and then a polish.

Doc226
04-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Phil, just the normal sanding and then a polish.

Mark, your normal and the rest of the world's normal are not the same. Your Normal is awesome, my normal is OK

mycarver
04-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Mark, your normal and the rest of the world's normal are not the same. Your Normal is awesome, my normal is OK

You're being too kind. But thank you for the thought, I appreciate it very much.

Captain Pre-Capsize
04-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Stunning, just stunning and unreal photography Mark - well DONE!

Arkamedius
03-19-2013, 05:41 PM
I actually bought this razor from Barneykiller and I have to say the pictures are one thing but to have this razor in your hand it is a thing of definite beauty!
Thanks again Chris and mycarver!

Bear_Blade
03-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Mark, way to put life into those old icons! Beautiful work, now I'm gettin' itchy!

mycarver
03-19-2013, 07:32 PM
That razor had such a feel in your hand that I just loved. Solid like a rock. And why is it that the photos never really tell you anything about a razor. Some things you just can't capture.

CanonSterVa
03-20-2013, 05:00 AM
A razor like this one surely need to be resurrected from the archives.
Beautiful work.
Congratulations on the acquisition.
Going to have to find one as well.