PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Water: galore

rayzup
03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Which scent do you like best?

5savages
03-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I wonder how many folks have had a chance to smell them all. I have all but 3. I don't have the coconut, sandalwood rose, and unscented.

5savages
03-07-2012, 03:40 PM
After much consideration, I can't pick just 1. My top 2 are lily of the valley and prospect creek.

celestino
03-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Bayrum = heaven!! Ahhhhh!

bkfist
03-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Love the lime, meh on the bay rum, good on the unscented (not odorless)

The lime is *very* true to scent... Just a wonderful lime scent coming through... With just a few days exception, I haven't used any other soap for about 3 weeks now. I'm really liking (loving) the scent and skin feel after the shave.

Just ordered coconut sample and 2 more lime samples (waiting on some "lower glycerin" test samples for soft water before ordering a full puck of lime.... or 2 or 3... Will make some great PIF's.)

oscar11
03-07-2012, 04:34 PM
I have Lily of the Valley, nice scent. I'm waiting on samples of Marrakesh, Lime and Mysore Sandalwood. I really like this soap. I'm thinking I might buy a puck of unscented and add menthol crystals to it for the summer.

shaverjoe
03-07-2012, 05:18 PM
I have Lily of the Valley, nice scent. I'm waiting on samples of Marrakesh, Lime and Mysore Sandalwood. I really like this soap. I'm thinking I might buy a puck of unscented and add menthol crystals to it for the summer.

I bought a puck of the unscented to use an uberlather component for all my QCS creams. It is a wonderful soap.

InHotWater
03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
I chose Lavender. I have the Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, and the scent blends well with many shave soaps ( not to mention a bottle of witch hazel kept in the fridge makes an excellent summer AS )

ackvil
03-07-2012, 07:06 PM
The lime litsea has a delightful aroma.

kingfisher
03-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I like the lime-litsea, but have only tried coconut, sandalwood-rose, prospect creek, and the lime-litsea.

greenerock
03-08-2012, 05:05 PM
I just got the lime and it smells fantastic. I hope to try a few other scents soon.

oscar11
03-08-2012, 05:23 PM
I received my other 3 samples today, Lime, Marrakesh and Sandalwood (I have Lily of the Valley). They all smell nice.

jwilock
03-08-2012, 08:00 PM
I've got the unscented. It's a great performer. If anyone is looking for a tallow based soap, give MW a try. And if you don't like scents, the unscented is a great option. As for me, I wish I had a scented version rather than unscented. If you happen to have one whose scent you don't like let me know and maybe we can swap.

retrolike
03-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Just wanted to get some expert opinion. I tried using Mystic Waters and was very disappointed. It seemed like it wanted to dry on my face to fast. Mama Bears seems to stay wet for a while...am I doing something wrong?

shaverjoe
03-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Just wanted to get some expert opinion. I tried using Mystic Waters and was very disappointed. It seemed like it wanted to dry on my face to fast. Mama Bears seems to stay wet for a while...am I doing something wrong?
I would just slowly add more water. I find this soaps takes a little more water than others I am used to but the performance is fantastic and I am consistently getting fantastic lather. I used Lime and Litsea samples and bought a full tub of unscented.

bkfist
03-08-2012, 08:50 PM

Mystic waters likes/can handle a lot more water than most other soaps. Try increasing the amount of water by a teaspoon or so. The first couple weeks I over-loaded the brush and needed to dip the brush in water 5 or 6 times to get it thinned out... (I "normally" load every soap dry-ish and add water, but usually only 1 or 2 dips. FWIW: I face lather.)

jwilock
03-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I was warned early on not to change blades too frequently. I did that with almost every shave till I had gone through about 40+ different varieties. I never had any ill affects from using so many "new" (to me) blades. No one ever mentioned not to changes soaps too often. I find that each one takes some time to get used to in terms of how long to load, and how wet a brush to use, and how much water to use, and ever what consistency provides the best shave. MW has worked well for me. My guess, like others, is for you to slowly add more water. You could even keep doing that until it is too runny and unusable just to see what the limit is. Then back off some.

k2clones29
03-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Bay rum is incredible. I haven't tried the nw ones, and I'm looking forward to trying coconut, but for now I give big ups to the bay rum.

retrolike
03-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've tried adding more water and it still seems to dry on my face. I also orded Mikes soaps (I've seen him on here), so I'm hoping his might be better. If I continue with MW soaps can you guys recommend something I could mix in to make a smoother shave? Like I said water doesn't seem to keep the cream wet on my face.

Amzimbo
03-10-2012, 03:11 AM
"This is how to obtain a copious, thick, yogurt-like, lasting lather using MW shaving soap: soak your shaving brush in hot water, take it out of the water, let the water drip until no more drips out, then give two or maybe three moderate shakes, but don't squeeze out the water. Take this relatively wet brush to the soap and begin to swirl lightly. If the lather looks foamy or airy right away, keep lathering on top of the puck until it thickens. If it does not, just keep loading until the brush is loaded to your satisfaction. Then take the loaded brush to your bowl (or face). Begin swirling gently and calmly. Once the lather looks creamy, add a couple of drops of water if necessary, and continue calmly swirling until the water is fully incorporated and the lather has no visible bubbles. If more water is required, do the same thing again, each time incorporating the water fully before adding more, and never whipping the brush around wildly."

This technique has worked well for me. At first I was getting light, airy lather from my MW samples, but now get an ideal cream that rounds off all the other qualities in MW, including wonderful scents and excellent moisturizing. I find that they work best face lathering for me.

HTH[/QUOTE]

TheVez2
03-10-2012, 04:23 AM
I've tried: Coconut, Lily Of the Valley, Prospect Creek, and a Lime/Lavender mix.

Of those I was most impressed with the Lime/Lavender mix. However since that mix is not currently available, I would say that based on the scent the individuals scents would also be good. THe best of what is currently available to me is Lily of the Valley, I was very impressed with that. If you like Coconut, hers smells great. And the menthol of the Prospect Creek is great as well. THey are all good, but if I had to choose right now it would be Lily of the Valley.

If anyone wants tips on lathering, I posted a couple videos here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/277592-Mystic-Water-Soap-Review-amp-Lathering-Videos?highlight=mystic

cryhavoc
03-10-2012, 05:06 AM
I am interested in the Marrakesh, could anyone describe the scent. Thanks

shaverjoe
03-10-2012, 05:09 AM
I am interested in the Marrakesh, could anyone describe the scent. Thanks
I'm interested in this one too!

TheVez2
03-10-2012, 05:11 AM
It's supposed to have an earthy clean dirt kinda smell, per the website. Maybe like a vetiver?

oscar11
03-10-2012, 08:04 AM
The main scent is an earthy patchouli with a hint of citrus and cedar. It's a well blended scent that has a great fragrance, IMO. I'm poor at describing scents but I know what I like and I like this scent. I just ordered a puck of unscented that I plan on adding menthol crystals to.

5savages
03-10-2012, 09:48 AM
To my nose, Marrakesh is dominated by patchouli, and since I don't care for patchouli, I won't be using it much. The performance is still spectacular however.

brothers
03-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Currently I'm enjoying Krampert's Finest Bay Rum, made by Brian.

chrisgeoguy
03-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Add Orange Vanilla to that list. It smells AWESOME. Really great smell. After multiple samples and talking with Michelle I have found my favorite shaving soaps!

Just glad to support a smaller company and get great products.

soloz2
03-14-2012, 07:59 PM
I just ordered samples of Lime, Prospect Creek and Sandalwood Rose. Can't wait!

oscar11
03-15-2012, 04:58 AM
Just finished a sample of sandalwood and shaved with lime this morning. Both scents are excellent IMO. I've shaved exclusively with Mystic Waters for a couple of weeks and really like this soap. Close, smooth shaves with good protection and very good skin care.

ChiefWahoo
03-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Had not heard of MW. (I usually read the creams forum.) Order placed for some samples. Thanks to Michelle for the great offer!

Songwind
03-16-2012, 08:30 AM
I ordered my samples of Lime, Prospect Creek and Wild Lavender. I look forward to seeing what all the excitement is about.

soloz2
03-16-2012, 03:47 PM
I just ordered samples of Lime, Prospect Creek and Sandalwood Rose. Can't wait!

Got my samples today and they smell amazing. I haven't tried them yet

brucered
03-16-2012, 04:48 PM
i voted coconut. i've had the pleasure of smelling the LIME (fantastic), Bay Rum (Fantastic) and Marakesh (fantastic), but my has to vote Coconut.

rayzup
03-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Add Orange Vanilla to that list.

no option to edit the first post/polls

litespeedone
03-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Currently I'm enjoying Krampert's Finest Bay Rum, made by Brian.

Is there a connection to Mystic Water soap?

litespeedone
03-16-2012, 09:48 PM
The lime litsea has a delightful aroma.

I've tried the lime and it is fantastic. What is lime litsea I've seen mentioned a few times? I don't see anything about it on the website.

litespeedone
03-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Litsea cubeba is the same thing as May Chang, botanical name vs. common name.

Ah, thanks! I just ordered a few samples. After deciding which scents I like, a bigger order will follow.

safaripete
03-19-2012, 05:09 PM
New to site but a DE user for about 50 years. I'm a big
Bayrum fan. I just found a new scent. OGALLALA Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercornes. It's wonderful. I was using Dominica Lime Bay Rum but this is so much better.
Stay Sharp. Safaripete

TheVez2
03-20-2012, 04:18 AM
Welcome Safaripete. We'd love to hear about your favorites and experiences with the DE, but this thread is about Mystic Water brand soaps.

brucered
09-06-2012, 07:38 PM
"This is how to obtain a copious, thick, yogurt-like, lasting lather using MW shaving soap: soak your shaving brush in hot water, take it out of the water, let the water drip until no more drips out, then give two or maybe three moderate shakes, but don't squeeze out the water. Take this relatively wet brush to the soap and begin to swirl lightly. If the lather looks foamy or airy right away, keep lathering on top of the puck until it thickens. If it does not, just keep loading until the brush is loaded to your satisfaction. Then take the loaded brush to your bowl (or face). Begin swirling gently and calmly. Once the lather looks creamy, add a couple of drops of water if necessary, and continue calmly swirling until the water is fully incorporated and the lather has no visible bubbles. If more water is required, do the same thing again, each time incorporating the water fully before adding more, and never whipping the brush around wildly."

This technique has worked well for me. At first I was getting light, airy lather from my MW samples, but now get an ideal cream that rounds off all the other qualities in MW, including wonderful scents and excellent moisturizing. I find that they work best face lathering for me.

for anyone having issues with MW, this is the method to use!

as for the scents, a few of these are gone a few added. I was searching "MW Bay Rum" and surprised to see it #1. i got mine today, it was not what i expected. i was expecting scent like Captains Choice, Kramperts and QCS Cayman...the only 3 bay rum products i own. to me, the MW Bay Rum was cologne scented, but the more i sniffed it on the ride home, i got whiffs of the bay rum scents from the others, but not as powerfull. still a bit of clove, kind of like baking cookies etc.

not sure it's a keeper yet, i was all ready to PIF or trade it, then i whipped up a batch and found it lathered with a better scent then straight from the jar (lesson learned and i should have known not to pass judement on opening a jar and smelling, it's strong) but will likely give it a go.

i know it will lather great and shave well. if i follow with a more traditional (at least to my nose) bay rum scent, perhaps i'll see what others see in the MW Bay Rum and why it was voted (at least on this poll) the #1 MW scent.

reading back, it looks like i had smelled the Bay Rum, i think i had a sample, but don't believe it was the same scented bay rum as i have now (odd)

blzrfn
09-07-2012, 11:50 AM
I wonder if there was a bad batch, the Bay Rum sample I got didn't smell anything like the other Bay Rum products I have smelled. I can't describe the scent except it was very strong and reminded me of an old school cologne. I put the sample back in the bag and will pay it forward at some point because my wife and I both can't handle the scent.

brucered
09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
I wonder if there was a bad batch, the Bay Rum sample I got didn't smell anything like the other Bay Rum products I have smelled. .

I am no Bay Rum expert, and I wonder what TRUE Bay Rum smells like? It's probably one of those scents like Lavender. I had no idea what good, real, lavender scent should smell like until I got some MdC and AOS, now the others do not smell good to my nose.

Used the MW Bay Rum today, followed with a Bay Rum AS Splash (Kramperts) and did not mind the scent at all. It's growing on me.

I contacted Michelle about the MW Bay Rum because to my nose it was nowhere near what Captains and any other Bay Rum I have smelled...here is what I was told by here (It should be ok to post this)

"it is more cologne-like than many others, but I just wanted you to know that I have been using the same Bay Rum FO since the beginning so if you had a sample at some time in the past, it's still the same scent. "

blzrfn
09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
That answers my question then, I'm just not a MW Bay Rum fan.

Loric
09-07-2012, 02:56 PM
My two cents is that after getting samples of just about all of them the Sandalwood Rose is by far my favorite. It was an easy pick for me before the extra $2 off, and a no brainier counting in the discount.

seizure
09-07-2012, 03:35 PM
I just want to publicly reaffirm my love for MW Lily of the Valley.

Oh LofV, how you make my heart flutter. How you make my nostrils flare with pleasure. How you make my face feel like it is softer than a thousand baby butts wrapped in velvet. I love you, MW LotV.

Jerry4roo
09-07-2012, 08:10 PM

Oh LofV, how you make my heart flutter. How you make my nostrils flare with pleasure. How you make my face feel like it is softer than a thousand baby butts wrapped in velvet. I love you, MW LotV.

Mental note: buy lilly of the valley next time!

5savages
09-07-2012, 09:38 PM
MW Lily of the Valley soap has an incredible scent. I didn't think I would like a floral scent but it's not at all a feminine scent like I thought it would be.

Arcadies
09-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Which scent do you like best?

I've only tried 3...Marrakesh, Mysore Sandalwood and Wild Lavender. My favorite of those is Marrakesh...followed by Mysore Sandalwood in a very close 2nd.

intotheforge
09-11-2012, 05:43 AM
I can't vote. I haven't tried any of their products yet.

YuriZhivago
09-14-2012, 09:40 AM
ST. Lucia Bay Rum does it for me. Always takes me back to Ladera on that island!!

brucered
09-20-2012, 02:22 PM
I just got a tub of Lavender Lime...WOWSERS. that is very nice.

MickToley
09-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Not on the list, my choice would be the coconut lime verbena :thumbup:

brucered
09-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Not on the list, my choice would be the coconut lime verbena :thumbup:

i got it in a trade. must have come out before the list.

Lavender Lime
Why choose? Now you can have your two favorite scents in one lovely blend with the cooling addition of pure menthol. What could be more perfect for the summer? Essential oils.

Demaskee
01-05-2014, 02:46 PM
I have marrakesh, cedar & sage, bay rum, adirondack jack, and I've also had Prospect creek & windjammer. Not to mention her shampoo and soap bars that I use.

Yeah, I'm sort of a MW junkie.

NSmalls
01-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Irish Traveller. I could not get it to lather though.

evnpar
01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
I'm finding it hard to choose a favorite, as I have so many. Sandalwood Rose is at the top of my list, but I'm a sucker for both of those scents. Mysore Sandalwood, Rosalimone, and Sardinian Honey are close behind, but I keep changing my mind, and want to edge up Wild Lavender, Viola di Bosco, and Lilac. And if that isn't enough, I'm often bathing and shaving with the same scent, as her soaps are just that good.

newbilong
06-10-2014, 06:38 PM

This quote is worth reviving.

Burnside
06-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Viola Di Bosco

nav
06-11-2014, 05:32 AM
I only have one, viola di bosco, and it's bloody awesome! One of the best scents in shaving soaps ever!

newbilong
06-11-2014, 01:09 PM
I imagine the viola is a divisive as the VEG. On first sniff out of the package and on test lather i got a refreshing scent of incontinent old lady. But this morning's shave i got a beautiful (but manly <grunt>) light floral scent.

August West
06-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Art is King.

brucered
06-11-2014, 02:09 PM
I only have one, viola di bosco, and it's bloody awesome! One of the best scents in shaving soaps ever!

Never had that one but have heard good things. Adirondack Jack is also one I have been interested in.

I have not used my tub yet, but Green Fairy is one of the best scents out of the tub of any product I have had...anise/black licorice.

It seems all the MW scents are great and the soaps are phenomenal for me, even withy hard water.

Art is King.
Didn't see that one listed, maybe it's discontinued. :001_rolle

shevek
06-13-2014, 05:48 PM
I imagine the viola is a divisive as the VEG. On first sniff out of the package and on test lather i got a refreshing scent of incontinent old lady. But this morning's shave i got a beautiful (but manly <grunt>) light floral scent.

Beautiful/manly and light floral is a good description. I always think of it as an earthy/floral. Viola and Adirondack Jack are my two favorite MW scents.

newbilong
06-23-2014, 09:21 PM
The Mysore Sandlewood is excellent. It's the most accurate scent of any sandlewood soap i've tried, and it's a rich lather with clay and shea butter in it. The website says this is the last of the fragrance, so i'll be ordering a spare tin next time i lodge an order.

evnpar
06-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Sandalwood Rose, closely followed by Vanilla Sandalwood and Mysore Sandalwood.

vickywally
06-24-2014, 09:46 AM

HTH[/QUOTE]

+2

Once you get the hang of it - MW delivers unparalleled protection & post shave. Its not hard - just a little different....

newbilong
06-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Sandalwood Rose, closely followed by Vanilla Sandalwood and Mysore Sandalwood.

Well i'll have to try the others because the Mysore is excellent!

jKyro
07-17-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm normally a sandalwood guy: proraso, art of shaving, and truefitt, so this time I decided to go with something a little more summery. I got the prospect creek (peppermint) and I love it. It's a shame that the Mysore sandalwood is going away because it would have been my next purchase, but with two tubes of proraso green, a tub and tube of proraso red, AOS sandalwood, and truefitt and hill lime still in the cabinet, SWMBO would lose her mind if I had another little yellow package with a soap in it show up in the mailbox. Truly sad she's discontinuing it, but either way prospect creek is fantastic!

darinpix
07-18-2014, 12:27 AM
The Orange Vanilla - not listed in the poll - is my all time favourite.

eyebright
07-18-2014, 12:59 AM
I'm normally a sandalwood guy: proraso, art of shaving, and truefitt, so this time I decided to go with something a little more summery. I got the prospect creek (peppermint) and I love it. It's a shame that the Mysore sandalwood is going away because it would have been my next purchase, but with two tubes of proraso green, a tub and tube of proraso red, AOS sandalwood, and truefitt and hill lime still in the cabinet, SWMBO would lose her mind if I had another little yellow package with a soap in it show up in the mailbox. Truly sad she's discontinuing it, but either way prospect creek is fantastic!

I just used up the last of my oil to make one last batch so I have 25 pucks curing now. There's been no word from my supplier as to when or if this fragrance will ever be available again. I'm still looking for a satisfactory replacement but so far, nada. :sad:

Rui Marques
07-18-2014, 06:56 AM
I just used up the last of my oil to make one last batch so I have 25 pucks curing now. There's been no word from my supplier as to when or if this fragrance will ever be available again. I'm still looking for a satisfactory replacement but so far, nada. :sad:

Hi Michelle,
And how about some limited scent editions?

jay_gord
07-18-2014, 07:49 AM
I got the prospect creek (peppermint) and I love it.
Awesome to hear you say that. I have some prospect creek coming my way and I've never used another MW soap before. Excited to try it out.

Haggises
07-18-2014, 08:18 AM
#1 for me still Bay Rum.
Maestrale a close second, Coconut third, and lagging a bit Coconut Lime Verbena.
I need to focus on the latter more.

I think we need a new poll :)

celestino
07-18-2014, 08:21 AM
No Sardinian Honey nor Jasmine?! I guess we do need a new poll! :biggrin1:

RobW
07-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Of the few that I've tried...

Adirondack Jack
Irish Traveler
Wild Lavender

jKyro
07-18-2014, 04:45 PM
Awesome to hear you say that. I have some prospect creek coming my way and I've never used another MW soap before. Excited to try it out.

No problem. It truly is a great soap. I've never used a tallow based soap before and now I see all the rave. Just remember to use a little extra water. I even had to send her an email compliment (something I've never done) just to tell her that it's fantastic. I hope you love it as much as I do. It's got just enough menthol and peppermint to refresh the face but not leave you tingling for 30 min afterward.

gloftho
07-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Of those listed marakesh is my favorite so far, however an orange spice tea sample michelle sent with my last order is tops for me followed by barbershop but those aren't included in the poll

brucered
07-22-2014, 07:45 AM
Of those listed marakesh is my favorite so far, however an orange spice tea sample michelle sent with my last order is tops for me followed by barbershop but those aren't included in the poll

There have been lots of new ones come out since the poll was started over 2 years ago.

TheVez2
07-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Maybe time for a new Poll?