PDA

View Full Version : "What was the first Shavetool that clicked for you?" Contest.

Sargon
02-20-2012, 10:49 PM
While most of us enjoyed our first shave with traditional shaving gear, There is something special about the first shavetool that you try that really clicks for you, be it a soap you love, a brush that just works for you, or a razor that is just stellar. So, in honor of beginnings, both of Shavetools.com (http://shavetools.com/)'s first month and of your own early days wet shaving, we're holding a small contest.

To enter, share the first shavetool that just clicked for you, perhaps with a short anecdote about it. The contest will run until the end of the month. The winner (CONUS only, sorry ) will be determined randomly via random.org, and will receive a Vie-Long Boar brush (http://shavetools.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=185).

cpowill
02-21-2012, 05:58 AM
I would say it was a combination of TOBS Eaton College and a Tweezerman badger Brush.

soloz2
02-21-2012, 06:28 AM
I'm just a noob, but have been considering wet shaving for a while now. I finally bought a VDH deluxe kit from Rite Aid for $11 about a week ago and have been getting better shaves and enjoying my morning shave more than ever before. I'm going to order a better brush and DE razor soon, but for now Im enjoying working on my technique and trying new products from local stores.

the_edski
02-21-2012, 07:24 AM
Great contest Sargon! I would say that the first thing that clicked for me was when I tried my 2nd cream. I had been using Proraso for about a month, but couldnt get a good lather. So I went out and bought a tube of KMF and thats when I first saw the "explosion" of lather that i had seen members talk about. I took some lessons away from the KMF and have been making great lather with any soap or cream ever since!

Go West Young Man
02-21-2012, 10:10 AM
I had been DE shaving for a few months and was having the usual breaking-in period struggles.
Upgrading my brush a few times helped, getting away from the cheaper drugstore soaps helped, but I was still ending up with a torn up face more often than not.

The day it finally clicked was the day a nice (and unfortunately long-forgotten) member PIFed me an NDC Tech. Suddenly the whole "no pressure" thing made sense, and my shaves got immeasurably better. The nice part was that I took that new approach and applied with a Merkur and realized how great this whole thing could be!

BrianL
02-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Surrey soap (now VDH) was the first thing that really clicked for me, I was still using a cart, but man that shave was miles ahead of what I was used to.

Smooth_Shaver
02-21-2012, 12:21 PM
For me, it was a Merkur 32c that my wife got me as a Christmas present. The first time that I used it I just knew that I was never going back to those mass marketed cartridge razors.

SteveWY
02-21-2012, 01:58 PM
The first "click' was stumbling across my first DE razor, a '57 Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip. I found it at an antique store for $5, picked up some discount store blades and went to work. The RAD, SBAD, BAD, etc. continued. The second really good "click" was Proraso cream and a Tweezerman badger brush. Th final and most important "click" was finding my standard routine blade (Astra SP) and pulling it all toegther as my technique has come into full stride.

JBagKY
02-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Great idea for a contest. The first thing that really clicked for me was switching to TOBS Mr Taylor's cream. I had been using a soap that I just couldn't get a lather with no matter what I tried. Yeah, I had a crappy brush, but getting a rich full lather from that Mr Taylor's finally made it all worth it. I eventually upgraded my brush and then got really good at using that soap, but once I got the lather with the cream down, I was completely hooked and knew that this was the way for me to shave.

kentclark
02-21-2012, 03:19 PM
First click for me was using a more efficient razor (first an Old Type) and making fewer passes and next was making better lather by taking my time and watching the bubbles/consistency.

insomb
02-21-2012, 03:53 PM
i think truefitt and hill trafalgar with an alum block was when i started really getting into my shaves.

SuperChris
02-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Please count me in. I have been traditional shaving for about 6 months now and the first really comfortable shave I got was from TOBS Mr Taylors. I have gotten better in my technique so I can get good lathers from most of the stuff I have but the Mr Taylors was the first. Thanks for the opportunity.

joamo
02-21-2012, 06:35 PM
I had decided I was tired of the barbasol can and ordered some Dragons Blood soap from Beechstreetbungalow on Ebay. I went from dreading my 5 minute every other day shave to "ooh I get to shave again today!!"and spend 15 minutes doing it. The scent and the creamy lather I was whipping up had made shaving fun. And so it began...

vitaman
02-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Thank you for the contest. The first shave tool that clicked for me was my 1965 Slim Adj. DE razor. I started with a Super Speed and had many good shaves. I purchased a Slim about 3 months into wet shaving and it all just clicked from there. I started getting consistent BBS shaves with the Slim on 5 using a Personna Red as my blade. Three years later my Slims are my go to DE razors.

lamdigs27
02-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Great idea for a contest. I've been hooked since day one. It was a gift from my girlfriend. Merkur barber poll 38C with matching silver tip brush, C&E sandalwood soap, C&E sandalwood after shave. Since then I've acquired a much larger assortment of shave related goods.

OkieStubble
02-21-2012, 10:53 PM
The first shaving related purchase that really clicked for me was a Green Rubber Marvey Shaving Mug. And after two years in this hobby it is still the one item that is used the most. As most other wet shavers, I shaved at the sink because I didn't want to waste water shaving in the shower. The problem with that is I think I am probably the messiest shaver on these boards.

My shave cave is carpeted around the sink area. After my shaves I almost have to use a wet vac for clean up. No matter how hard I try to stay neat during shaving, the bathroom still ends up looking like someone had a lather pie and water balloon fight. The Marvey Green Rubber Shaving Mug has totally revolutionized my shave experience.

It has allowed me to shave while in the shower. filling the mug with water lets me turn off the shower head and rinse in the mug, saving me time, clean up and water. My wife really appreciates me being able to keep all that shaving destruction confined in those glass sliding doors. :thumbup1:

jay67212
02-22-2012, 04:08 AM
What really clicked for me was Proraso green soap, the Proraso white pre shave cream and a Omega Boar brush. The pre shave was great for getting the hairs softened and I loved the menthol of Proraso. I loved the smell of the menthol in the morning!

global_dev
02-22-2012, 04:57 AM
great contest, and enjoyed reading those anecdotes above this post... I have 2 experiences that really emblazoned in memory the essence of "clicked"... while i loved a feather stainless DE and it did a great job from 0 experience to fine shaves, what i recall more impressively was a fat barreled NEW with an astra blade. first shave with it and i just couldn't get over how great a shave i got so easily and the 2nd was using the Hart straight. That straight was the first velvet squeegee edge and i just had to stop and admire the sensation...

CyberJCM
02-22-2012, 06:01 PM
I tried all kinds of soaps and creams in the beginning. Some were good, some were not so good. But the first that clicked and gave me the best lather I'd had yet, as well as continue to have was Razorock. I believe it was the Fresco and the XXX. I knew there was something special about these when I first opened the tub for a sniff and went, "Oh wow!" Hadn't had that reaction before to a soap/cream scent and I was in love. I applied the Marco Method and I have not looked back. All the RR products continue to simply rock for me!

Thanks for the contest opportunity!

brother cavefish
02-22-2012, 07:10 PM
i have my 2nd new brush in 17 years and it is fantastic now i have 5 and 3 are vie longs , love them and stayed with my E& C soap but started trying creams

chado006
02-23-2012, 02:11 PM
I've had quite a few "clicks" but I'd say the first one was my Lord L6. I had been using a cheap Chinese TTO that worked fine but the L6 was just a huge step above in shave quality. Thanks for the contest!

DunEdinRanger
02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
It was the Merkur Slant Bar razor. That's the razor that first gave me a BBS shave, the razor that mowed down whiskers like a warm knife going through butter.

linuxslantman
02-23-2012, 09:23 PM
I'll add another vote for the Merkur 37c slant razor as the shavetool that had the greatest influence on me. I was intrigued by the design and bought and started using a 37c before I learned that it wasn't recommended as a beginner's razor.

I nicked myself a few times including slicing my earlobe but I eventually got the hang of it and now I very rarely cut myself. This improvement was, in no small measure, the result of B&B discussions and photos on the importance of carefully lining up the blade when you load the slant. I find that pulling up on the ends of the blade as you tighten down the head helps a lot in getting the blade lined up correctly.

The thing that amazed me right from my first shave with a slant was that it was the closest shave I'd ever gotten, much better than any cartridge razor or electric shaver that I'd ever used. And it seemed to work well with practically any brand of blade, although some brands worked better than others.

I do wish some other manufacturers would try making slant razors. It would be interesting to try some other variations on this theme. I'll probably buy a Merkur barber pole, sledgehammer 39C, eventually, just to compare it to the 37c and to have a spare slant to lend to friends.

rgeudy
02-23-2012, 09:54 PM
I would have to say it clicked for me twice. First was when i figured out "water ratios" in my lather. Second would be my Slim. Awesome, awesome razor.

DougieB
02-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Shaving cream.

When I was 14 or 15 I had a little shadow on my chin and above my lip. The first time I shaved... Well... I got back from running 3 miles... saw a razor in the bathroom............
I picked it up............ looked it over.............. looked at my chin............ looked back at the razor........... Some stupid light bulb went off in my head... I thought sweat would be wet enough to shave with. Won't ever make that mistake again.

Shaving cream is the first shaving item that just clicked with me!

ckelly49
02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
My first 'clicked' moment came when I loaded my Gillette Slim Adjustable with a vintage Don Juan blade that a coworker had given me. That combination made such an impression on me I used it on my wedding day.

mortisd28
02-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Newbie here. TOBS sandalwood cream in a tub. Love the smell, can't wait to use it again! Even on my non-shaving days, I'll open it up, just to take a whiff of it!

joser
02-24-2012, 03:26 PM
The Frakensoap known as Van der Williams (melted VDH with shredded Williams). I decided to start face lathering around the same time and the combination allowed me to get a decent lather that was (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong with my following assumptions):

slick from the VDH glycerin
I could tell if the amount of water was good from the notoriously thirsty Williams
Cushiony from the combo

I am now able to get a decent lather while bowl lathering this and other soaps i have.

OkieStubble
02-25-2012, 06:32 AM
The Frakensoap known as Van der Williams (melted VDH with shredded Williams). I decided to start face lathering around the same time and the combination allowed me to get a decent lather that was (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong with my following assumptions):

slick from the VDH glycerin
I could tell if the amount of water was good from the notoriously thirsty Williams
Cushiony from the combo
I am now able to get a decent lather while bowl lathering this and other soaps i have.

Your assumptions are spot on good sir! :)

ShaveYourSoul
02-25-2012, 06:35 AM
I think the one the REALLY clicked for me was the 2011 Muhle R41. So many other razors gave me irritation, but I finally gave in and thought I would try to tame the "beast." Turns out it isn't a beast at all if used properly. Very close shaves with little to no irritation!

mechanically
02-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Had to be my Fatboy, but only when I figured out that a comfortable shave was better than a close shave. When I turned it down to 4, it was magic!

hermy65
02-25-2012, 12:13 PM
The setup that really clicked for me was a Merkur 39c Slant with a SOC Boar brush and RazoRock XXX soap. Still my go to for an awesome shave.

Malache
02-25-2012, 03:44 PM
THe first thing that really clicked for me was the Merkur HD 34c. Until I used this razor shaving was a chore. I have since spent more times with soaps and creams and trying to find the perfect brush. But that razor is what really made shaving click.

Heespharm
02-25-2012, 10:57 PM
The first "AHA holy mary what a great shave" was with the first time i used my mergress (merkur progress mod) with Astra blades.... I thought all razors were, or at least the previous ones I've used, supposed to be aggressive and i would use my gillette fusion for "clean up" of the tender areas. The mergress showed me I could dial in the aggressiveness with little to no razor burn for a super comfortable shave. Baby's bottom smooth almost every time. So much better than the fusion 5 bladed caveman club I was using before I started wet shaving (which btw is gathering dust at the bottom of my drawer).

But none of this would have been possible without two other great tools... 1. A shave diary (which after two months I still keep). I use a "rite in rain" waterproof pocket notebook and a fisher space pen that fits neatly into my shave drawer. In which I write the razor, blade, preshave lotion, shaving soap/cream, post shave ritual, shave rating from 1-10, smell/ quality of soap from 1-10, time from start to finish, and quality of shave (annotating burn and nicks). Second tool is my iPad which gave me easy access to YouTube videos (ESP. Mantic's vids) and frequent sometimes hourly searches of blade and badger.com :-)

Sqratch
02-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I woul have to say my 1979 super adjustable and castle Forbes shave cream. Just a perfect shave every time.

Bravoure
02-26-2012, 12:54 PM
The first time I put my F4 Fatboy to my face I knew it would be a life-long affair. The weight and feel in my hand and against my face was as though it was made for me.

mortisd28
02-27-2012, 12:10 PM
I recently traded my EJ 86 for a Merkur HD 34c on a different forum. From what I was reading, the EJ should have worked out pretty well for me. It was ok, but not great. I actually liked my Shave Factory and Wilkinson Classic better. I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked the 34c! It is awesome! The guy I traded with feels the same way about the EJ. Win, win on the trade!

shipr
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Aside from my first razor I would say that a blade sampler was a big revelation for me. It helped me figure out a few blades that were good for me and turned average shaves into great ones!

KindestCutofAll
02-28-2012, 06:10 PM
The first shave tool that clicked for my was a straight razor. It was a vintage Electric Cutlery. About 80 years old, I bought it NOS, and it held a fantastic edge and shaved like a dream.

However, with an equal share of melancholy and delight, it has been passed down to my son when he embarked on the voyage of wet shaving.

With any luck it will serve a few generations of wet shavers in my family. :thumbsup:

Sargon
03-01-2012, 04:06 AM
Congratulations Insomb! You're the lucky winner. I hope that your Vie-Long boar will click for you. And thanks to all of you for making this contest a success!

soloz2
03-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Congrats!

insomb
03-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Whoa, sweet. I've never won anything! Thanks so much Sargon, I haven't tried a Vie-Long yet.

Lephturn
03-01-2012, 09:41 AM
The first time I combined a glycerine shaving soap (Con. Conk Lime) with a dollop of shaving cream (Body Shop Macca Root Shaving Cream) to create super lather! I went from struggling to get good lather to instantly wonderful lather!

joamo
03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Congratulations Insomb!