PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Wet Shavers Get Together and Expo 11/10/2011

SGB1963
10-20-2011, 10:06 AM
To attend the event and have access to the Shave Forum VIP room, you have to register through the event web page:

http://smallflower.givezooks.com/events/the-great-shave-presented-by-merz-downtown

Men (and women), please join us for an evening celebrating wet shaving!

Merz Apothecary is proud to host an evening dedicated to shaving and men's grooming. We will feature shave experts (including Mark Herro - Mantic59 on YouTube!) demonstrating technique and answering questions, shave products from the world's best shaving brands, and great conversation with shaving afficianados from across the globe.

If you are already a fan of wet shaving, this will be your chance to meet and mingle with other like-minded wet shave enthusiasts. If you're a wet shave beginner and want to learn more, this is the event for you. You will have the chance to ask questions of experts, and you can explore one of the country's largest selections of shave equipment in every price range.

The 140 year-old Palmer House will be the luxurious setting for this unique event, featuring live music, and delicious food specifically designed for this event, along with unique cocktails, beer, wine and more. We are anticipating a fun and exciting evening of shaving and grooming presentations, fashion vendors and services, and more thanks to the brilliant event planning of Erin Patrick, of erin patrick: events fashioned!

Merz Apothecary - Shave Forum VIP Hour:
From 5-6pm on the evening of the event, Merz Apothecary and Smallflower.com will host a VIP event specifically for our customers and our friends from the various wet shave forums. You must register through this page in order to be invited to the VIP event. More info will be emailed to you as the event approaches.

***UPDATE***

- Neil Jagger, owner and founder of Edwin Jagger, and Geofatboy, of straight razor and DE razor shaving video fame, are attending the event!!!!!

We look forward to seeing you there!

Please email any questions to: [email protected]

DrColossus11
10-20-2011, 10:08 AM
The link you posted doesn't work.

SGB1963
10-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Let's try again:

http://smallflower.givezooks.com/events/the-great-shave-presented-by-merz-downtown

SGB1963
10-20-2011, 10:16 AM
What to Expect:
- shave experts demonstrating technique and answering questions
- shave products from the world's best shaving brands
- great conversation with shave aficionados from across the globe
- scotch, cocktails, beer, wine and more
- delicious food and desserts
- fashion vendors and services
- live music and a fun social atmosphere

Experts Appearing:
- Mark Herro (aka Mantic59) - YouTube's most popular wet shave educator
- Lynn Abrams - founder of The Straight Razor Place forum and co-owner of Straight Razor Designs
- Neil Jagger - owner and founder of Edwin Jagger
- Geo (geofatboy) - Youtube shave educator and owner of Shave Nation
- more experts will be added as they are confirmed

Clutch Cargo
10-23-2011, 05:54 AM
As you may have noticed, the original thread for the Chicago Wet Shavers Get-Together and Expo on November 10, 2011 at the Palmer House hotel in downtown Chicago, which had messages that spanned many months, was somehow completely deleted, along with everyone's messages! :thumbdown

Thanks to SGB1963 for starting this new message thread. If the event is going to have any chance of success, we need to get the word out. So I'm bringing this back up to the top.

Let's take a roll call. Who is planning on attending, and who has already registered?

I've got it on my calendar, and I've already registered using the link provided by SGB1963.

jamesspo
10-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Registered.

Hearse95
10-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Registered

Captain Pre-Capsize
10-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Registered and looking forward to it!

diamondtim
10-25-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm registered.

Royko
10-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Registered!

John Mac
10-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered!

Alum of Potash
10-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Registered.

tommyguns
10-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered

Sterling Cooper
10-30-2011, 11:03 PM
SORRY, THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT!
WE CANNOT TAKE ANY MORE RSVPs AT THIS TIME.

Well, that stinks on ice.

˘orey
10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Registered and hopefully bringing a +1.

Captain Pre-Capsize
10-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Registered.

Ummm, I’m impressed - am I the only one who noticed you are coming from FRANCE??!!!

I say, hand this guy a prize for distance traveled!

Sterling Cooper
10-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered and hopefully bringing a +1.

Well, that's puzzling!

Clutch Cargo
11-02-2011, 04:26 PM
The Chicago Wet Shavers Get-Together and Expo on Thursday evening, November 10, 2011 at the Palmer House Hotel in downtown Chicago

I phoned Merz Apothecary today in the Palmer House hotel just to be sure that the event was still a "go." They said YES! They also said that for those driving in, there's a Self-Park lot nearby at the corner of Monroe and Wabash.

Alum of Potash
11-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Ummm, I’m impressed - am I the only one who noticed you are coming from FRANCE??!!!

I say, hand this guy a prize for distance traveled!

Thanks for your appreciation. As I am from Chicago originally, I have been watching this announcement with interest. I have had to return for a family matter, so I thought, "Why not attend the event as well?"

SGB1963
11-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Latest Event Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nfOIiSo3RI

This is going to be great time!

Hammertime1
11-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Damn, I finnaly had a chance to talk to wife about going to this. I just checked out the registration and not accepting Rsvps at this time. Day late and dollar short as usual. Enjoy to those who rsvp'd early.

SGB1963
11-04-2011, 07:07 AM
I believe you may still attend the event from 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM, but will be excluded from the shave forum VIP hour from 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM.

Alum of Potash
11-04-2011, 11:54 AM
I believe you may still attend the event from 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM, but will be excluded from the shave forum VIP hour from 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM.

That's good to know, since my brother now wants to attend as well!

JCinPA
11-05-2011, 11:11 AM
For those of you who are making an overnight of this, Chicago has many terrific restaurants, and you won't go wrong describing your tastes to the hotel concierge and taking his/her advice.

However, if you like Italian, may I suggest The Italian Village. It is within walking distance from the hotel (just a few blocks, 5-10 minute walk) the hotel will give you a map.

They are the finest Italian restaurant I've been to. They are actually three restaurants in one, three different decors and three completely separate kitchens. Most folks don't know that. You can order from any kitchen, though, so if you are in La Cantina and want to order something from The Village, you can do that.

Menus can be reviewed here

La Cantina (my favorite)
http://lacantina-chicago.com/dinner_menu.swf

The Village
http://italianvillage-chicago.com/menu/italviDinner.swf

And Vivere
http://vivere-chicago.com/dinner_menu.swf

You won't be disappointed. Main site here you can cruise around and see photos from all three restaurants.

http://www.italianvillage-chicago.com/index.php

dslazar9
11-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm looking forward to this and thank Stuart (SGB1963) for coming up with such a great idea and making it happen!

Freehand
11-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Registered!

Clutch Cargo
11-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Just bringing this reminder back to the top!

Only ONE more day until the Great Shave Event at the Palmer House Hotel in downtown Chicago on Thursday, November 10th!

bkfist
11-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Looking forward to it!! Registered and leaving 8am tomorrow morning! (It's only about 6 1/2 hours drive, but my dog likes to take a few pit-stops along the way! As do I, for that matter!)

thrown.clear
11-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Hey all,

My girlfriend will not be able to attend the event (I can't say I'm too upset... I don't think I'm going to be able to pay too much attention to her!), but I RSVP'd for two.

If anybody needs a "ticket," please PM me and you're welcome to it.

Alum of Potash
11-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Hey all,

My girlfriend will not be able to attend the event (I can't say I'm too upset... I don't think I'm going to be able to pay too much attention to her!), but I RSVP'd for two.

If anybody needs a "ticket," please PM me and you're welcome to it.

PM sent on my brother's behalf.

thrown.clear
11-10-2011, 12:29 AM
PM sent on my brother's behalf.

"Ticket" has been claimed!

I can't wait to see you all there!

gabern8tor
11-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Damn. Why can't Chicago be in Australia?!?! :cursing:
Have a great time fellas.

bkfist
11-10-2011, 08:45 AM
I can spare a ticket to the VIP ... girlfriend said shed find something to do for an hour if someone else really wants to attend.

Captain Pre-Capsize
11-10-2011, 08:47 AM
I can spare a ticket to the VIP ... girlfriend said shed find something to do for an hour if someone else really wants to attend.

Oh, believe me she can easily kill an hour at the Merz retail store downstairs.

bkfist
11-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Oh, believe me she can easily kill an hour at the Merz retail store downstairs.

Surprisingly, she isn't much of a shopper ... but has a new Droid phone to keep busy with.

jamesspo
11-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I had an issue come up, and wasn't able to attend tonight. I hope others that did will give a run down here....with pics! I'll try to make the next one.

Captain Pre-Capsize
11-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Woooo HOOOOO!!! I just went to a party and a shaving get-together broke out!

Am back with a hoarse throat from visiting and a head full of ideas.

A blast, an ABSOLUTE BLAST!!!

A big thank you to Anthony and all the folks at Merz for an outstanding event in an unbelievable setting! Great to meet some of the other Merz vendors and Neil Jagger who flew in from England for the event. How fun to see Mantic59 and Geofatboy meet in person for the first time.

The whole evening was one for the memory book!

Optionyout
11-11-2011, 06:13 AM
I had a very nice evening. Thank you Merz and all the great vendors, speakers, etc. I can't believe it but I may need a straight razor. The guy for feather got me interested, then Geofatboy, then Lynn from straightrazor who was great nailed it in. And to top it off the duo from Madison giving out straight shaves answered all the little question I had and encouraged it as well.

I was expecting to walk away with some soap and a buzz but now a new passion?

Clutch Cargo
11-11-2011, 07:24 AM
=Captain Pre-CapsizeWoooo HOOOOO!!! I just went to a party and a shaving get-together broke out!

Absolutely! A HUGE THANK YOU to Abdul, J. Q. and T. Q., the owners of Merz Apothecary in Chicago (www.smallflower.com) for sponsoring this incredible event yesterday evening at the phenomenal Palmer House Hotel in downtown Chicago! These fine gentlemen were a pleasure to meet, and their generosity in sponsoring and paying for the entire event (including food, wine, fine chocolates, live music, vendor presentations and demos from numerous shaving product vendors, and a bag filled with great samples and give-aways) without charging the 250+ attendees any admission fee whatsoever was a gesture of generosity beyond belief. Another advantage of making purchases at the show was the 11% discount that Merz offered on all product purchases!

Meeting and talking with both GeoFatBoy and Mantic59 in person was both enlightening and encouraging! GeoFatBoy even gave each of us one of his bandanas that's become his trademark in his YouTube videos!

I purchased a new Edwin Jagger razor that I'd been admiring for quite some time, and had the box with the razor in my hand as I walked around and talked with other attendees and vendors. I was bragging about the high quality of the chromed finish on the razor I had just bought to one interested gentleman in the crowd, only to find out later into the conversation that he was Neil Jagger, the founder and owner of Edwin Jagger who had flown to Chicago especially for the event! What an honor to meet him as well.

A second round of well-deserved thank you's go out to Abdul (who's owned Merz Apothecary since 1972) and his sons J. Q and T. Q. for making this such an enjoyable event for all of us!

dslazar9
11-11-2011, 02:46 PM
+1, I couldn't have said it better, what a great time!

Absolutely! A HUGE THANK YOU to Abdul, J. Q. and T. Q., the owners of Merz Apothecary in Chicago (www.smallflower.com) for sponsoring this incredible event yesterday evening at the phenomenal Palmer House Hotel in downtown Chicago! These fine gentlemen were a pleasure to meet, and their generosity in sponsoring and paying for the entire event (including food, wine, fine chocolates, live music, vendor presentations and demos from numerous shaving product vendors, and a bag filled with great samples and give-aways) without charging the 250+ attendees any admission fee whatsoever was a gesture of generosity beyond belief. Another advantage of making purchases at the show was the 11% discount that Merz offered on all product purchases!

Meeting and talking with both GeoFatBoy and Mantic59 in person was both enlightening and encouraging! GeoFatBoy even gave each of us one of his bandanas that's become his trademark in his YouTube videos!

I purchased a new Edwin Jagger razor that I'd been admiring for quite some time, and had the box with the razor in my hand as I walked around and talked with other attendees and vendors. I was bragging about the high quality of the chromed finish on the razor I had just bought to one interested gentleman in the crowd, only to find out later into the conversation that he was Neil Jagger, the founder and owner of Edwin Jagger who had flown to Chicago especially for the event! What an honor to meet him as well.

A second round of well-deserved thank you's go out to Abdul (who's owned Merz Apothecary since 1972) and his sons J. Q and T. Q. for making this such an enjoyable event for all of us!

diamondtim
11-11-2011, 03:58 PM
It was great! Thanks to Merz for a wonderful event.

JCinPA
11-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Very much fun. Especially the free wine. Which I had too much of. :001_tt2: Luckily I was smart enough to stay away from the scotch table after just one, or it could have been ugly!

Thanks, Anthony, and I am grateful, so don't take this as a gripe, but as a suggestion. If you do this again, have some cheap name tags and a couple pens on your registration table. I only found a couple B&B members and it would have been sooo much easier if we had our name and our B&B handle under it. Clutch Cargo lives in Naperville and I'm in Lisle! I wanted to say hi to Price! Of course we recognized Mantic and Geo, but that's about it. Minor suggestion, easily solved if you think this could be successful as an annual event. It might even grow! This was such a huge success, if you do it again, I bet you would get even more out of town draw!

Anyway, big shout out to bkfist, you're girlfriend is a really good sport, listening to all my wine-induced drivel. Good meeting you folks. Mantic, I hope you got some of those Frango mint for your wife! If you did not have time, PM me your address and I'll send you a box, I always get some Frangos as gifts around the holidays.

Many thanks to all the sponsors!

diamondtim
11-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Very much fun. Especially the free wine. Which I had too much of. :001_tt2: Luckily I was smart enough to stay away from the scotch table after just one, or it could have been ugly!

Thanks, Anthony, and I am grateful, so don't take this as a gripe, but as a suggestion. If you do this again, have some cheap name tags and a couple pens on your registration table. I only found a couple B&B members and it would have been sooo much easier if we had our name and our B&B handle under it. Clutch Cargo lives in Naperville and I'm in Lisle! I wanted to say hi to Price! Of course we recognized Mantic and Geo, but that's about it. Minor suggestion, easily solved if you think this could be successful as an annual event. It might even grow! This was such a huge success, if you do it again, I bet you would get even more out of town draw!

Anyway, big shout out to bkfist, you're girlfriend is a really good sport, listening to all my wine-induced drivel. Good meeting you folks. Mantic, I hope you got some of those Frango mint for your wife! If you did not have time, PM me your address and I'll send you a box, I always get some Frangos as gifts around the holidays.

I agree John! I was looking for you and other B&B'ers, but met a barber and a newbie who I sent to the forums for more information. I was also able to talk to Lynn Abrams for tips on using my straights.

Clutch Cargo
11-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Here are some of the photos I took at the "Great Shave Event" sponsored by Merz Apothecary at the Palmer House Hotel in downtown Chicago on 11/10/11.

Most everyone will recognize GeoFatBoy from his YouTube videos. The other photos show a small part of the vendor/sales area, and one photo looking down from the mezzanine where the event was held into the incredible lobby of this 140 year old hotel.

JCinPA
11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
We should post these comments and photos in General. We had to publicize it here, but no reason not to share generally after the event.

Go ahead!

bkfist
11-11-2011, 07:08 PM

I agree with the name tags. There were a lot of people I talked to at the gathering who were there as Merz customers, which was great being able to answer some questions from a few people were interested in, but not currently "into" wet shaving.

My girlfriend, Carrie, you speak of, managed to talk your wine server into getting her brother (who "has everything already") a EJ DE89 for Christmas... lol
I guess, from her report, it's pretty easy to get Mantic to blush if you heap enough praise on him for his Youtube Videos... LOL

It was most definitely a well run event by Merz, the vendors, and the entire staff of the Palmer House Hotel!!!

SGB1963
11-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Everyone said it already and better than I ever could. I just wanted to add a thank you to the Badger and Blade memebers who came out in support and made this such a great social event!

SGB1963
11-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Additional photos:

Price
11-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Yes, what a fantastic event. Congratulations on a job very well done to all the Merz folks. Sorry I missed you there John (and the three or four others I was hoping to meet). The wife got stuck at work, so we hit the road later than we had planned, and didn't end up making it down there until about 6:30. Funny thing is, I had thought about printing up a little tag with The Dude on it just in case, but of course I never got around to it. Best laid plans and all that...

Anyway, very well Anthony, as well as all the vendors and the speakers. Great time, great event. We both had fun (and the wife picked up a couple carefully pointed out Christmas gifts for me, as well.:wink2:)

SGB1963
11-12-2011, 12:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn1ozn0j7D8&feature=youtu.beSpeaking of the event and Lynn Abrams, Geo and AQ:

tommyguns
11-12-2011, 03:23 PM
yeah the name tag thing would of been a great idea i went and my friend who was supposed to meet me up did not show until way later when i was ready to leave so talked to a few people but for the most part felt a little out of place im kind of anti social until i get to know people. but all in all great time did talk to some nice guys and bought my simpson brush.

bkfist
11-12-2011, 03:36 PM
yeah the name tag thing would of been a great idea i went and my friend who was supposed to meet me up did not show until way later when i was ready to leave so talked to a few people but for the most part felt a little out of place im kind of anti social until i get to know people. but all in all great time did talk to some nice guys and bought my simpson brush.

The brush selection was really nice ..being able to are al of those brushes all together and feel them :) plus the razors.

I got my bottle of Captains choice aftershave and a bottle of EJ aftershave... then placed a $90 order with Merz last night, because they didn't have the Muhle sea buckthorn in the wooden bowl at the event. (I already have the EJ soap, love it, and wanted the wood bowl)

Sterling Cooper
11-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Damn, I'm so sorry that ended up missing this because of an emergency business trip. Congrats to all who made this happen. Hopefully, I'll make v2.0.

CyiDev
11-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Just looking at the pictures really makes me realize I would have been a bit out of place. It would have looked like a member brought there son with.

Captain Pre-Capsize
11-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Just looking at the pictures really makes me realize I would have been a bit out of place. It would have looked like a member brought there son with.

This is one of the coolest hotels in the city with a heritage beginning just after what we call The Fire (no explaining necessary for Chicago area residents). If you have a pair of khaki’s and a shirt with buttons on it, you’re in. Believe me, nobody was monitoring the dress code although most were dressed for the occasion. Instead it was all about fellowship with more back slapping than you can imagine. A great, great time. The whole thing came off so well because of Erin Patrick Events - he coordinated ALL of it. A real treat with wandering waiters offering up free finger sandwiches, drinks and more. Merz really did it right.

CyiDev
11-13-2011, 11:50 AM
It looks like it was a good time. How much does a room run for on a regular night at the hotel? We stayed in Chicago for a week at a crappy holiday inn (literally looked bad compared to most holiday inns it was the one on W Harrison). Despite how bad the hotel looked it was cheaper than most of the hotels we had called around to, yet it still managed to be around $350 / night.

Captain Pre-Capsize
11-13-2011, 12:53 PM
This diverges from the OP but a room with king bed runs $250.00 and this is one of the fanciest places in town. Parking will run you more and Chicago is famous for multiple taxes so out of pocket will add up to more.

Price
11-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Actually they had a special just for this event. Only $159, which was a tremendous bargain IMO. We stayed the night, and were very impressed with the place. A+ all the way.

mantic
11-15-2011, 12:32 PM
It was a fantastic event and I hope it will be done again! It was great to put faces to names (I just wish I could remember them all). Merz's event table, as well as their regular shop at the hotel, was like a wetshaving toy store. :001_tt1:

SGB1963
11-15-2011, 01:04 PM
While attending the Great Shave Event in Chicago at the Palmer House Hotel, my friend Todd lost his Semogue Silvertip, 2010 Ltd. Edition. Unfortunately, this line of Semogues is no longer made, and is said to perform unlike any other brush Todd has used. To date, the brush has not been recovered by the Palmer House Lost & Found. As for the brush, it is in an opaque plastic brush tube (made by Muhle). The brush itself is silvertip, handle is a mix of white and clear acrylic, and is octagonal in shape. On the bottom it says Semogue 2010, with a "00" -- the latter signifying that this was the prototype of this edition. If you have been fortunate enough to have found this, please let me know so I make arrangements to get it back to Todd.

mantic
11-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Thought I'd pass along of few of my pics of the Chicago event. Apologies for the poor quality: my little Casio has notoriously poor low-light capabilities.

The crowd assembles for my presentation
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yGTgn2rsQqs/TsVSAu4_OzI/AAAAAAAAA-8/tmIC0QAOR7w/s400/CIMG0597.JPG

The band plays
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-loN-_iWdz4w/TsVR9KQu7II/AAAAAAAAA-w/JpH8EAGOfhs/s400/CIMG0596.JPG

A corner of Merz's sales table...kid-in-the-candy-store stuff!
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DD1yxVEwQw0/TsVR8xuH76I/AAAAAAAAA-s/s3SlWub0uSM/s400/CIMG0595.JPG

SGB1963
11-22-2011, 02:13 PM

SGB1963
12-05-2011, 04:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owvOMOH3NTo&feature=g-all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owvOMOH3NTo&feature=g-all

Clutch Cargo
08-27-2012, 04:21 AM
Has anyone heard anything yet about another "Great Shave Event" sponsored by Merz Apothecary similar to the excellent one they sponsored last year in November (2011)?