PDA

View Full Version : Ok Brits, Earl Grey... milk, lemon, or black?

aceinyerface
10-05-2011, 09:26 PM
I know everyone can do what they wish, that is not what I am asking. How does a proper Brit take Earl Grey tea?

Or do they not and prefer something else?

jwhite
10-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Well I'm American, but if you must put something in your Earl Grey it would be lemon. But I think good EG, increasingly harder to find, doesn't require it.

edit: Sorry that came off pretentious and condescending, didn't mean it that way. Lemon in small quantities will complement true bergamot and mask the artifice of the fake stuff. But I feel it detracts from the aroma of a quality EO.

Rushman2112
10-05-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm English, but I don't really like Earl Grey. My wife (who is Indonesian, and therefore not to be taken as an authority) has it with milk, no sugar. We usually buy Twinings, which she finds the best readily available here.

aceinyerface
10-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm English, but I don't really like Earl Grey. My wife (who is Indonesian, and therefore not to be taken as an authority) has it with milk, no sugar. We usually buy Twinings, which she finds the best readily available here.

So, do you get English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, something else? Served how?

aceinyerface
10-05-2011, 10:07 PM
edit: Sorry that came off pretentious and condescending, didn't mean it that way.

I didn't see anything of the sort.

rotarygov
10-05-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm English. Earl Grey is my favourite tea for relaxing with i.e. sitting doing nothing but drinking tea. Milk, no sugar. :001_tt2:

My other traditional tea is delivered to the door by Ringtons :001_smile

TychoRalphie
10-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Earl Grey is Lemon for me but the bad stuff just tastes like your licking a grannies perfume bottle...and no amount of inclusion will make it taste any different!

If your asking what us brits drink on a regular basis then its breakfast tea...and that can be taken however you choose...milk, sugar, honey, lemon...

Cant go too far wrong with Twinnings but all depends why your asking? Can get pretty good mixed boxes of assam, lady gray, earl gray, breakfast etc from twinnings to cover most bases

aceinyerface
10-06-2011, 02:08 AM
OK, I tried some Taylors with lemon. It was good.

I don't like putting milk or sugar in my coffee/tea. I usually like it black and bitter ( the joke is "like I like my women") but that is WAY not PC. (Won't blame the mod for editing that one)

Rushman2112
10-06-2011, 05:57 PM
English Breakfast, usually Twinings, but the supermarket stocking policies here are somewhat haphazard so occasionally they won't have any stock of a given item. I have bought Dilmah EBT, which is OK, or Liptons, which is not.

k2clones29
10-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Studied at Cambridge a semester. Doesn't make me British, but I should get some honorary UK title for my extended stay. Welsh, maybe?

In all seriousness though, love tea. Didn't before I went, but I was converted. I drink all tea black. Nothing like black English breakfast and black Earl grey. Two of my favorite non-alcoholic beverages.

Dennard
10-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Nothing like black English breakfast and black Earl grey. Two of my favorite non-alcoholic beverages.

+1

neo71665
10-06-2011, 08:05 PM
A touch of lemon or black for this american. I don't want sugar and milk is nasty in tea. If you like it more power to ya and ya don't have to worry about me taking it

Wildalaska
10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I take my tea with milk and sugar. But I like Stokes air game too.

galopede
10-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Studied at Cambridge a semester. Doesn't make me British, but I should get some honorary UK title for my extended stay. Welsh, maybe?

Watch it lovely boy! You can be English if you want but not everyone is lucky enough to be born Welsh!:001_tt2:

Personally I think Earl Grey is foul, no matter what you put in it. If I have tea, it's usually Glengettie, a good, strong Welsh tea.

Gareth

aceinyerface
10-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Studied at Cambridge a semester. Doesn't make me British, but I should get some honorary UK title for my extended stay.

That is English-ish, close enough, I'll grant you dual citizenship.

thomas newton
10-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Milk and sugar for me please. I never have tea without but I'm not fancy pants about teas and only have EG or 'builder's'.

TN

JPDyson
10-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Can't get over the bergamot, so I stick with unflavored black tea. My favorites are JAS-eTea's Yunnan Fengqing or Black Gold.

Dawsub
10-07-2011, 03:45 AM
I don't mind Earl grey ,just black of course . I'm not a fan of milk or sugar in any tea .

jwhite
10-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Can't get over the bergamot, so I stick with unflavored black tea. My favorites are JAS-eTea's Yunnan Fengqing or Black Gold.

Understandable, I'm as particular about the bergamot in my EG as I am about the application of smoke to my lapsong.

rajagra
10-07-2011, 06:48 AM
I drink tea black, no extras.
Earl Grey tastes foul to me too (I tried hard to like it, after all my name is Gray!) Give me some Darjeeling instead.
I've also found lemon in tea to be rather silly. Doesn't enhance the taste to me, and can quite easily make it vile.

mmack66
10-07-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm not British, but I can't imagine drinking Earl Grey anyway other than black.

devorenm
10-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Rose. Seriously, blend a little in to your next batch of earl grey.

JPDyson
10-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Rose. Seriously, blend a little in to your next batch of earl grey.

The cup I hated the least was one with lavender...

five o'clock
10-07-2011, 09:29 AM
:ohmy: :ohmy:

It has to be black or you aint a Brit.

Hobbesoxon
10-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Despite what the writers of Star Trek: The Next Generation would have you believe, Earl Grey is generally considered tea for people that don't like tea. It's quite hard-to-find at decent (college, hotel) afternoon teas.

You asked. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

davros
10-07-2011, 04:16 PM
I don't know if I'd go as far as Hobbesoxon, but certainly, I don't think many people take Earl Grey as their regular tea. I have maybe 2-4 cups a week, maybe less. Generally I take it with milk, occasionally without; it does work better black than regular tea (less tannin or something?).
Just to clarify on the other question about what Brits do drink, for the most part, our staple tea is just, well, tea as far as we're concerned. The stuff that's sold and drunk in bulk is, I think, a mixed blend of various black teas. If you want a flavour of it, try and get hold of something like PG Tips, Tetley or Typhoo, or Yorkshire Tea if you want to be slightly more upmarket about it. The idea of there being more than one kind of tea is a relatively novel one for most British teadrinkers, and one that we still don't have that much truck with for the most part. 'English Breakfast' is about as close as you'll get to our generic 'normal tea', but its not quite the same, somehow.

Of the more exotic Indian varieties, Darjeeling is probably more interesting than Earl Grey, but it's rather fiddly to get it quite right.

Rossmeister
10-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Milk for me, that's what I grew up with.

netsurfr
10-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Tried EG a number of times in a number of different ways. I just did not really care for the bergamot in the end. Of all of the variations, probably adding a bit of lemon was my favorite.

Doc4
10-08-2011, 12:48 PM
I used to like EG back when I was a teenager. Tea seemed a 'veddy heengleesh' drink, and EG the most heengleeshest of them all.

Now, I much prefer to not have the bergamont getting in the way. :ohmy:

... to pick up on Hobbes' point, if you are drinking EG, it's like drinking flavoured coffee ... you need something to cut the taste of the base ingredient ... so go whole-hog and do milk & sugar.

RogerStenning
10-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Just to be different (:001_tt2:), I can't stand the stuff. Horrid thing to do to a leaf:wink2:. Instead, I drink coffee :devil::w00t:

OK, NOW I'm looking for hard cover, a flak vest, and a helmet :001_tt2::wink2:

JoshuaNY
10-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Despite what the writers of Star Trek: The Next Generation would have you believe, Earl Grey is generally considered tea for people that don't like tea. It's quite hard-to-find at decent (college, hotel) afternoon teas.

You asked. :)
Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I find that interesting that its hard to find.

Jean-Luc Picard was French, so I really think he should have been a coffee drinker. :001_tongu

I am a big fan of Star Trek:TNG, and even though its a stupid reason, it is why I tried EG in the first place. I really enjoy EG, as well as other types of tea.

I drink all tea straight.

JPDyson
10-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

SDJs
10-09-2011, 08:03 AM
I like it with milk whenever I drink it, which is rarely. I prefer a mug of good strong black tea with milk and sugar. I'm English but I live in Russia now and they love their tea here. But it's all this poncy fruit tea nonsense. Ok, it can be quite refreshing like green tea, and they love brewing it in teapots and make social gatherings out of it, but it's not really for me. In fact, we English are supposed to be very sensitive and refined when it comes to tea; like the French with wine. I think that's rubbish. We drink strong black tea with milk and love it. I have to stick two bags in me mug over here cos it's not strong enough.

njpaddy
10-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Here's the definitive answer on serving English tea from HYACINTH BUCKETíS BOOK OF BETTER-CLASS BRITISH COOKERY (http://kuacentral.com/cookbook/chapterfive.htm) (For the Socially Unfortunate)

And you may do like I do when you have your neighbour to Tea: Serve your Earl Grey (the only sort of Tea one should ever find on the premises of an upmarket household like mine) from your everyday china Tea set. Provide milk and sugar for those who want it and if youíre feeling a bit festive, you may offer a plate of lemon wedges (accompanied by a fruit fork please!) Your biscuits are always the tinned sort and there is no need for the biscuit tin to display either the Royal Warrant or the Union Jack. Put a few biscuits out on a plate. And thatís all there is too it: A Casual Tea for a Neighbour. And donít forget the doily!

coyotewhisper
10-09-2011, 10:02 AM
My Grandmother from Cornwall, introduced me to tea as a child. She told me a "good Englishman, puts two spots of cream, two cubes of sugar in his tea"
I have drink tea pretty much that way since minus the sugar cubes.

Jeffc
10-10-2011, 07:06 AM
With Milk.
EG is my favourite tea but I can only manage to drink it at the weekends - the rest of the time its out of a machine.
Coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon.

Doc4
10-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

In the final episode, just before whatever final showdown with the entire enemy fleet (was it the Romulans? I forget. Oh, Klingons. I think that was it.) he should have ordered ...

"Tea. Lukewarm. Strong, with lots of milk and sugar. And a double dose of cheap scotch."

(drinks tea in one gulp, wipes mouth with back of hand)

"Aaaahh! Now let's get those m----- f------ Klingons! (sings) Here we go, here we go, here we go! Here we go, here we go, here we go-oo! Come on Number One ya great Pansy! Here we go, here we go, here we go! ... "

:001_unsur

(Oh, and on the subject of the Brits and how they drink stuff, my Dad tells the story of him in London with his parents back in the '60s ... at their hotel for breakfast. My Dad likes his coffee with a little bit of cream and sugar. He asks for coffee. The waitress comes to the table with two silver coffee posts "black or 'arf an' 'arf, dear?" A moment of cross-cultural confusion later, he's sitting there with a cup half full of coffee and half full of cream, and luke-warm at best. ... Not his favourite cup of coffee of all time. :wink2:)

rajagra
10-10-2011, 01:55 PM
This is how we drink it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4IahEqXF_o

Jasonian
10-11-2011, 06:47 AM
LOL nice. I'm not crazy about EG either. I used to like it as a kid.. but not so much as an adult.

geets
10-14-2011, 11:46 PM
I like it with lemon.

aceinyerface
10-15-2011, 02:24 PM
This is how we drink it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4IahEqXF_o

OK, that is how to serve tea. LOL

Now, where is my old sock monkey??

The Chandos
10-19-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm not British but I lived a bit in both Ireland and England and have had my share of teas. I drink both my EBT and my EG with a splash of milk but no sugar. Occasionally in the summer I will use a bit of lemon with either just to add some zest but even when it's 100F here in the States I usually still have an afternoon cup of EG, hot, with a splash of milk, every afternoon. My favorite EGs are Williamson's, Fortnum and Mason and St. Dalfour. In the winter, I like to add a splash of Irish Whiskey to my blacks and will still add a splash of milk, but continue to refrain from using sugar. My daily black is Barry's but I also frequently drink Ty-Phoo, Lyons, Fortnum & Mason, Lifeboat (Williamson's), Brodie's and others. Adding mile gives the tea a little more body without making it bitter and also takes a little edge off of the acidity. I like mugs of tea, not cups.

jjfar
10-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Okey i'm from Ireland. came here at 8 years old,went back to trinity after i came out of the marines(Semper Fi).
Ireland has the HIGHEST tea consumption per capita in the world, Even greater than China.
We like our tea strong with milk ,maybe sugar(just milk for me)The best tea is Lyons green label.

nathanb
10-24-2011, 05:27 PM
I drink tea black, no extras.
Earl Grey tastes foul to me too (I tried hard to like it, after all my name is Gray!) Give me some Darjeeling instead.
I've also found lemon in tea to be rather silly. Doesn't enhance the taste to me, and can quite easily make it vile.

It is really funny how tastes differ so much. I am not a big fan of Darjeeling but normally have a cup of Earl Grey once a day. I will often add milk, rarely sugar, and if I have a cold then I will add some honey.