PDA

View Full Version : Got Shaving Brush Burn

Zoro
08-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I tried some test lathering today and ended up irritating the face. I probably should have bowl lathered, but I decided that I wanted to lather up on the face... what a mistake. It could have been that I was using a pure badger brush, but this is the worst irritation that I have had while wetshaving. I think I will stick to bowl lathering from now on :blushing:

Insaniac99
08-29-2011, 05:55 PM
I get that same problem, due to that, I have bought a bunch of different types of brushes and will be making a comparison thread for those like me so they don't have to get a ton to try.

mftoms59
08-29-2011, 11:59 PM
I tried some test lathering today and ended up irritating the face. I probably should have bowl lathered, but I decided that I wanted to lather up on the face... what a mistake. It could have been that I was using a pure badger brush, but this is the worst irritation that I have had while wetshaving. I think I will stick to bowl lathering from now on :blushing:

I get that same problem, due to that, I have bought a bunch of different types of brushes and will be making a comparison thread for those like me so they don't have to get a ton to try.

When Practice or test lathering, I use my Palm, this has the added benefit of using the sense of touch without irritating your face. Whether your testing a new brush or a Soap/ Cream, it much easier to evaluate the product when you feel it at work, this is impossible when using a bowl, and as you found out... painful on your face, especially when testing more than one product. It's very helpful when learning Water to Soap or Cream ratios of properly hydrated lathers.

Insaniac99
08-30-2011, 12:26 AM
When Practice or test lathering, I use my Palm, this has the added benefit of using the sense of touch without irritating your face. Whether your testing a new brush or a Soap/ Cream, it much easier to evaluate the product when you feel it at work, this is impossible when using a bowl, and as you found out... painful on your face, especially when testing more than one product. It's very helpful when learning Water to Soap or Cream ratios of properly hydrated lathers.

That's interesting, I've always created practice lathers in a bowl to do that, then I'd scoop out some lather to play with at different intervals so I know what I'm getting. When actually shaving I like the create the lather in the bowl and then paint or scrub it on with the brush.

I'll have to give it a try, even though I'm not a huge fan of hand-lathering.

talibeard
08-30-2011, 12:38 AM
When Practice or test lathering, I use my Palm.....

Same here, I can't think of a better way to get to know a new product/brush.

vegas
08-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I test lather in my palm. How common is shaving brush burn?

gorgehiker
08-30-2011, 05:23 PM
How common is shaving brush burn?

First I have heard of it right here!!! Might be a new condition, guess the old sbad will need to be kicked in the butt!

ikeyballz
08-30-2011, 06:41 PM
I get shaving brush "burn" from my mighty midget when I try to face lather with it even after I soak the brush for a good 10-15 min before I start lathering.

Go West Young Man
08-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Pretty much the reason I rarely facelather any more.

doug1066
08-30-2011, 07:23 PM
I lather right on the puck in my mug when using soap and face lather with creams. I use a Surrey/VDH Boar and I have never had a problem with "brush burn".

noahpictures
08-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Been there done that. I recommend taking a couple of days off from shaving. In the future test lather using bowl or palm.

DFSDAILY
08-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Pure badger is known to do that. I've never expierienced it from boar or silver tip or best.

Go West Young Man
08-31-2011, 08:20 AM
I lather right on the puck in my mug when using soap and face lather with creams. I use a Surrey/VDH Boar and I have never had a problem with "brush burn".

Cheap pure brushes seems to burn way more than even cheap boar brushes for some reason.
It's like a wire whisk on my face :(

Mirzath
08-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Cheap pure brushes seems to burn way more than even cheap boar brushes for some reason.

This is good to know. I would like to get a new brush and seem to get brush burn easily. I do not want a really expensive brush as I am still learning but would like something with soft tips. I was thinking of going to a Best Badger or low end silver tip.

rearviewmirror
08-31-2011, 09:38 AM

same with me. it was like rubbing a grater over my face.
i almost feel bad for PIF'ing it away, but I gave the warning that it was very very prickly.

rearviewmirror
08-31-2011, 09:39 AM
This is good to know. I would like to get a new brush and seem to get brush burn easily. I do not want a really expensive brush as I am still learning but would like something with soft tips. I was thinking of going to a Best Badger or low end silver tip.

simpson colonel x2l in best. i got mine on the b/s/t for $50, they're $65 new online.
IMO, simpson best is a LOT better low end silver. and it is SOFT.

ltjaw
08-31-2011, 08:10 PM
I get this, too. It's kind of insidious for me. I feel the scritch while I'm face lathering, but it doesn't burn until after I'm done with the shave. Which leaves me wondering if it's razor burn or brush burn, until I recall feeling the scritch from my brush.

I agree with the recommendation of taking a few days off - not necessarily from shaving, but from face lathering. A dermatologist would give similar advice regarding the use of exfoliating facial scrubs: don't use them daily. Brush burn is likely the result of over-exfoliating.

My brush recommendation: Rooney Heritage Stubby XL series. I could face lather with my 2XL all day and not get the burn. Or, a slightly more affordable option: any Thater. Great backbone, absolutely no brush burn. If you go with a Simpson in Best, I'd recommend a taller lofted, less dense variety. I have a short lofted, dense CL1 that gives me the burn when I face lather. My 56, on the other hand, does not.

Insaniac99
08-31-2011, 10:06 PM
I get this, too. It's kind of insidious for me. I feel the scritch while I'm face lathering, but it doesn't burn until after I'm done with the shave. Which leaves me wondering if it's razor burn or brush burn, until I recall feeling the scritch from my brush.

I agree with the recommendation of taking a few days off - not necessarily from shaving, but from face lathering. A dermatologist would give similar advice regarding the use of exfoliating facial scrubs: don't use them daily. Brush burn is likely the result of over-exfoliating.

My brush recommendation: Rooney Heritage Stubby XL series. I could face lather with my 2XL all day and not get the burn. Or, a slightly more affordable option: any Thater. Great backbone, absolutely no brush burn. If you go with a Simpson in Best, I'd recommend a taller lofted, less dense variety. I have a short lofted, dense CL1 that gives me the burn when I face lather. My 56, on the other hand, does not.

They way I narrowed down brush burn or not is to lather without shaving. I lather up, wait a bit, then try to feel if the burning happens.

mftoms59
08-31-2011, 10:44 PM

I'd recommend a couple of good Boars from two different Manufacturers as a start. Allow each to fully dry between uses, allowing them to be Broken-in, increasing the lather building and water retention capabilities, most Boars will need ~20-25 lathers but are worth the time invested.

Another cause of "Brush Burn" is excessive pressure used when lathering, let the tips do the bulk of the work.

doug1066
08-31-2011, 11:24 PM

Chris,

I love boar brushes. After reading about the various problems people have had with Rooneys, Simpsons, Kents, Vulfix, etc. concerning shedding and irritation and the expense, I think I'll stick to the porcine end of the spectrum.

ikeyballz
09-01-2011, 02:29 AM
I've noticed my badger brushes can take more of a beating than my boars. the boar bristle is 2x or more thicker so I think its more brittle. I suppose if you're careful enough with it and you soak it properly before you start lathering it'll be fine though. I get brush burn with my wee scot in best if I face lather then do 4 passes with the brush - I think its because of the short loft.

Go West Young Man
09-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Chris,

I love boar brushes. After reading about the various problems people have had with Rooneys, Simpsons, Kents, Vulfix, etc. concerning shedding and irritation and the expense, I think I'll stick to the porcine end of the spectrum.

As long as you stay away from Pure badger you should be OK.... Fine, Best and Super are all very comfortable on the face.

inspiringK
09-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Yes, I think the easy thing to do here is also the right thing - blame it on the brush and try a new one:thumbup:
Those pure and even black badger knots have a reputation for scritchyness that no others have. I agree with Chris about even the low end boars being more forgiving. I have a $12 Omega Boar that has good backbone, but especially now that it is broken in I can't imagine it giving me irritation. Your Pure brush may just be too prickly for face lathering.

galopede
09-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Just goes to show how the YMMV comes into play. I only face lather and prefer a good scratchy Pure Badger for the purpose!

Gareth

franz
09-01-2011, 11:20 AM
It depends on how sensitive your skin is. I'm in the 10% (just a guess) of people who have trouble facelathering with Best, forget Pure. I have even gotten brush burn from a silvertip before.

Once it's broken in, you can get very soft tips from a $10 boar. For equally soft tips in a badger, you have to pay a lot more...

Zoro
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Yes, I think the easy thing to do here is also the right thing - blame it on the brush and try a new one:thumbup:
Those pure and even black badger knots have a reputation for scritchyness that no others have. I agree with Chris about even the low end boars being more forgiving. I have a $12 Omega Boar that has good backbone, but especially now that it is broken in I can't imagine it giving me irritation. Your Pure brush may just be too prickly for face lathering.
I was planning on getting a new brush (or two) anyways

Insaniac99
09-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Speaking of boar... I just got brush burn from a non-broken in Omega. Hopefully after I break it in it will be better.

anaguma
04-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Too bad this topic is two years old. This is exactly what I'm looking for. But thanks anyways guys, I got some good advice.

I've gotten "burned" a couple times from fairly well broken in badger brushes - one a Vulfix 1000A "Pure" and, the other, a Simpsons Wee Scot "Best". But, my Omega 49 is getting softer by the day. I'm still afraid to try face lathering. But I am tempted to try hand lathering as a burn-free alternative for now.

Chadao
04-23-2013, 08:52 PM
I have never experienced this. I've used pure, best, silver tip, and now using the latest B&B Omega boar. Wondering if I understand "scritchy."

mastershake
04-25-2013, 12:26 AM
i have this issue. some suggested to soak my brush for like 10 minutes didnt help. my face is on fire sometimes from the brush. i ordered a silvertip im going to try next hopefully better than the boar i was using.

chilliman64
04-25-2013, 01:07 AM
I was planning on getting a new brush (or two) anyways

sorry to hear about your brush burn, just goes to show we are all different.

you didn't say whether you were using a new soap/cream - could it have been due to some type of allergic reaction? also, how many facelathers did you make? - if you spent a long time lathering it may not be the brush that is the issue, it may have been the length of time you lathered.

I can recommend a nice cheap synthetic brush for you if you are reacting to the badger - it is a brush you can get on ebay - Frank Shaving synthetic 24mm Richmond with faux ebony (or ivory) handle. I have two of them, one in each colour. they are nice an soft on the face, great for face or bowl lathering. they cost me less than $20AUD including shipping and are about a million times better than the synthetic Omega brushes. (it's not my ebay store! => http://stores.ebay.com.au/Ian-Tangs-Shaving-Workshop/Synthetic-Brush-/_i.html?_fsub=5663933015&_sid=997286275&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322). good luck.

anaguma
04-29-2013, 08:59 PM
I've been using an Omega 49 for a couple of weeks now, and find that it is breaking in really nicely. And, the bristles are really softing up (on the tips), while the knot itself remains quite firm. I may have found the perfect combination for me. I'm anxious to explore more with the boar bristles. (Actually, I'm waiting on a Semogue brush to come...)

Slash McCoy
04-29-2013, 09:58 PM
I only get burn from a boar, myself, but not bad. But if you get it from a Pure, definitely go for a cheap silvertip or best. Larry has some for pretty small coin that will do the job nicely. Also there are the Lijun brushes. A silvertip doesn't have to be all that expensive.

Eeyore
04-30-2013, 04:32 AM
I test lather in my palm. How common is shaving brush burn?

I have never heard of it! Never experienced it as well. But I have wet shaved for a long time already, so I think my skin is used to being brushed and lathered.

What I have had, is a reaction to a particular shaving soap. But I would not call that shaving brush burn.

Marc999
08-21-2013, 03:19 PM
A timely thread for me ;)

I received my first brush in the mail today: Tweezerman Badger. I was so excited about it, that I had to try out my lathering skills, gained from youtube (mantic59) and here.

Ran brush under warm water.Drain excess, then:
(1) Bowl lathered (VDH - deluxe). Went ok, I got 2 passes and shaved with a fusion, since the de safety razor is still in the mail.
(2) Face lathered (Proraso - green tube). Couldn't tell if burning, or the menthol effect. Washed off. Face lathering is tricky, thus far.
(3) Hand lathered (TOBS - Sandlewood). Applied to face. Woo, burn baby burn. Washed off.

It's either (a) The brush - over did it with the circular action. It does feel a bit prickly. (b) Fusion cartridge not exactly sharp (c) Reaction to sandlewood / menthol. (d) No prep. - woops! (e) all of the above.

Will keep posted haha. I should try just one cream/soap per day, so I can isolate what's going on. Maybe try a fresh fusion cartridge too.
The good news is I enjoyed slapping the brush over my face, minus occasional prickles.

mistercitizen
08-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Sandalwood can do that. Many people (myself included) have had bad reactions to products with sandalwood EO in them. Ironically, not all sandalwood products give me the burn. T&H sandalwood cream and AS balm do, but not GFT sandalwood cream and skin food. Some people are sensitive to menthol as well. Also, I believe that if you aren't used to brushing cream onto your face or facelathering, you will experience some irritation regardless of potential allergies.

Is the Tweezerman Badger a pure badger brush? I know that of all of my brushes, the one that is the scritchiest and most irritating is my EJ travel brush in pure badger.

So, yes, it could be all of the above to some extent. Keep trying though, you will eventually get used to it and find what works best for you.

Ben

Marc999
08-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Yeah, the Tweezerman is a 100% badger brush and it certainly was prickly.

I need to do some prep first, (shower/hot towels etc.), get a fresh blade, soak for brush for longer and use only one soap/cream per session. I'll figure it out.