PDA

View Full Version : I wanna try shaving with a straight razor PIF contest

superbleu
04-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Well, it was a long and hard fought battle, but, as they say in Highlander, “There can be only one!”

Your Straight Razor Stewards (SRS) have spent many sleepless nights (Errr... one...) arguing, deliberating, procrastinating, and yes, mainly drinking, but we have a winner.

As you would suspect, three guys from different corners of the world had some pretty different ideas about which of these many entries was our favourite. But only one entry cropped up in all three short lists, and therefore THEY are the winner of the PIF.

Drum roll please....

The winner of the Straight Razor, I Am Man, Hear Me Bleed, PIF is....

Number 23 (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=3048119&postcount=23), MattB!

You get all the glorious goodies spoken of at the beginning of the competition. Everything you need to get started shaving like a real man, in style. You also get the duty, no the honour, of providing us with a shave diary of your adventures, as you head down the slippery slope of straight razor addiction.

We would also like to make a special mention of a second entry, which we all thought really captured the essence of what it was to MAN UP, and take the bull by the horns. That entry was by #44 (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=3058364&postcount=44), Fishaholic, for being enough of a woman to stand up to all of us, and telling us who's da man. We know you gals are da man.... :)

You will get a special “boobie” prize for your great entry. We are not sure what it will be yet, but we'll have a dig around and find something good for you.

So give the lucky winners a big pat on the back. The competition was fierce, but they are the ones left standing on the massive pile of LOSERS at the end of the day.*

Oh, and stay tuned if you live in a part of the world that was not allowed to play this time around. We are getting something together for you folks as we speak.

*(Just kidding, they were all great and we had a ball reading them. Thanks to everyone who took part and made this such an awesome competition. -SRS)

For those of you that didn't win, you can finally get off your duff, start prowling the BST for newbie straight sets or hit up the usual sources for beginner straights. It doesn't take a lot of money or blood loss to get started, so please join us in our enjoyment of straight razor shaving.

Competition time! The straight razor guys are taking over the forum and we are having a membership drive to swell our ranks. We know a lot of you have secretly dreamed of the day you would be ready to take the Safety out of your Safety Razor and start shaving like the big boys. Now is your chance.

To help you get started the Straight Razor Stewards (SRS) are going to give a lucky member a gift to get him started. A Freshly honed beverwyck straight razor donated by yours truly, a 2.5” bridal leather strop donated by Larryandro at Whippeddog.com, a cotton fabric strop I made myself pasted with 0.5micron CrOx from Handamerican.com, and a barber’s hone donated by member Natchez and fellow steward of the contributors corner, everything you need to make the manliness happen.
Razor
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5070/5625254868_838544fcb3.jpg
Strops
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5023/5625255714_baa6c7b990.jpg
Barber’s hone
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=158022&stc=1&d=1302994088

Donated from huck_1680

"Pure Black Badger 22mm TGN knot set in Elk antler
that was spun, sanded, polished and finished for a one-of-a-kind brush that should be handed down"

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5263/5643334901_e7db09264d_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/5643902210_66ec37737c_z.jpg

So what do you have to do to be worthy of such generosity? Compete, my friends! Compete for our entertainment!! :a11:

This competition is open to all CONUS members who have never shaved with a straight razor before. (Members in other countries, put your thinking caps on, there will be something similar for you soon.)

In your own words, tell us why you have always wanted to try straight razor shaving, but have thus far been too chicken. Extra points will be given for the originality and creativity of your answers.

The winner will also be expected to keep a shave diary in the straight razor section, so we can all see how he is progressing and laugh at his misfortunes... I mean give lots of encouragement.

Only one entry per member, so make it count!

The winner will be chosen by the straight razor stewards, and will be the person who seems most deserving to us. Deserving may just end up meaning amusing... but no correspondence will be entered into. We rock, and we are donating the prizes. :biggrin1:

The competition closes on April 30th 2011 at 12PM pacific standard time and the winner will be announced in the straight razor section soon after, so get writing! This is your chance to finally Man Up and take the guards off your razor

Contest technical writing was done by Legion, I simply copied and pasted what he so patiently and carefully typed out

insomniac
04-16-2011, 10:56 PM
This is a very generous PIF.

Everyone should try a straight at least once. :thumbup1:

Balcmeg
04-16-2011, 10:57 PM
I don´t qualify since I am both outside CONUS and have my first straight with accessories in the mail from Larry.

Wanted to say it is a very nice PIF to some lucky beginner!

ggamyang
04-16-2011, 11:11 PM
"because my swmbo won't call me a 'bad azz' until I do straight!!!" :)

I am in just because I wanna hear my swmbo call me "oh baby!!! you are a bad azz!!!" :)

bassmanlarry
04-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I would like to try straight razor shaving because I always admired the skill my dad's barber displayed when he gave my dad a shave when I was a kid. I've only had one straight razor shave when I first graduated HS 17 years ago. It was by a different barber and I had horrible razor burn, but I didn't have to shave for three days. Another reason I would like to try it is my wife says that I shouldn't because I may cut my jugular. I would like to prove her wrong, because she is always right. On second thought, maybe I shouldn't.:001_huh::lol:

Slivovitz
04-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Count me in if you please. I have been thinking of trying a straight. Thank you for the opportunity.

Why? Without going back to pieces of obsidian, or bronze half-moon shaped objects retrieved from the ruins of Pompeii, this is the most retro option open to me, and I'm a retro kind of guy. I've enjoyed learning to use some pretty retro safety razors already, so why not take it a step further?

It isn't that I really expect to get a better shave than I already get with the best SE and injector razors, but you never know.

What's been preventing me from getting one on my own? It's really not any perceived danger; I'm aware enough to go slowly, and pull back if I get into trouble. The problem is all the blade maintenance required on a conventional straight. It's one of the attractions for some people, but I'm not really sure that it will be my cup of tea. I've looked into the Feather AC, which takes disposable blades, but I've been spending a lot on shaving stuff lately, and am taking a breather. Still, it's likely enough that I'd get a Feather eventually.

Or, if I'm the lucky entrant here, I'm willing to give the whole blade maintenance thing a second look.

Legion
04-17-2011, 01:39 AM
A good start here!

Come on lads! This is your chance to play with the cool kids, and it is on us!

Hold your fire if you are not in the CONUS. We'll have something for your part of the world soon. :thumbup1:

slugg77
04-17-2011, 03:48 AM
I'm in.

Why a straight you ask? Well, it all started with a bear. A Grizz actually. He came busting through the door into the house last week. This sometime happens, because I age my own elk here. The smell of 800 pounds of elk aging has a powerful scent.

I was busy distilling my new batch of whiskey in the copper still in the kitchen when I heard him. Big as a boxcar. He was madder then a walrus with shingles and ready to eat.

Most people would shoot the bear (I think shooting anything less then 1,000 yards away is too easy and not very sporting) but not his guy.

After engaging in hand-to-hand combat with the bear for several minutes, I got bored. I also had whiskey to attend to and an elk to begin to carve. Now, I am like most of you men here. I act like I shave with a razor, but I really use something else. A knife. A 9" custom made bowie to be exact. I wear it in a scabbard I designed that fits in my sternum. After dispatching the bear with the knife, I heard a familiar sound.

It was my wife. SWMBOBOSWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed By Other She's Who Must Be Obeyed). After she tossed back her majestic golden blonde hair and adjusted her ample assets, she demanded that I clean up the mess before I went to the lodge meeting. Even though I had to compete in the "Chop down a tamarack tree with your bear hands" challenge (must defend my title), I knew I was short on time. I hurriedly carved the bear into steaks for later and headed off.

Only when I returned home and began eating dinner did I realize that I left the knife in the bear. While I am sure I will be having some indigestion from eating the custom Bowie (I has happened before), the immediate concern is my lack of shaving gear. Send the straight my way and you know it will be used by a proper man.

people who know me might say that this is an un-adulterated fabrication and that my wife won't let me buy a straight because I am prone to bleeding and bawling like a calf, they are certainly only jealous of my prowess at masculinity and listening to them would be unfair

Crockus
04-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Awesome PIF. Id like be entered.

I want to try a straight razor for 2 reasons. 1 When I was younger in my early teens I wanted to learn how to use one but my parents would never let me get one. So I gave up on it then. Then when I was grown up and out on my own the wife(now ex wife) thought it was too dangerous and not necessary. I just havent pulled the trigger on one yet.

oc_in_fw
04-17-2011, 01:41 PM
It was last Saturday morning. I had just completed a BBS shave using an Ever Ready 1912 razor. My soap of choice- Arko. Why? Because the very name causes weaker soap users to quiver in fear. Once done, I slapped on the Veg (or did it slap on me? I am a bit hazy about what happened). So, I marched out into the world thinking- THAT was a manly shave. The dog agreed, as the manliness caused him to run away in horror, and was promptly run over by the mailman. As I approached the scene, the mailman immediately sensed my uber-manhood, as he was down wind and was treated to the Arko/Veg aroma. He prostrated himself before me (or passed out- again, not really sure). There is only one way that this amount of manliness could be pushed to the next level (and no, it isn't Williams). It would be the addition of this great PIF.

Oh, the following week I received a summons to court. Seems I am being charged with assault on a federal employee. Should I rock the Veg to impress the jury?

OK, I am not much of a writer, but count me in.

on edit: I forgot to include why I have feared the straight. Just read above, of course I don't fear it (well, maybe I fear the dent in the wallet<G>)

DE_Dude
04-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Great PIF! Are shavette users eligible?

retiredguns
04-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Very nice PIF! I have wanted to try a straight even before a safety razor but yes, this old Marine is putting it off for one reason or another. I need to be pushed a tad! Reasons I'd like to try:

-I've been thinking of having my adams apple surgically reduced but this might be cheaper.

-It will give me an extra 30 minutes in the den alone.

-I want to see if I can stretch my face to the point of tearing.

-Might earn me a 3rd shelf in the bathroom

-Want to see if Styptic pens really work!

-If all else fails I can use the strop to whoop the dogs! :lol:

superbleu
04-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Great PIF! Are shavette users eligible?

Sure!!!! Shavette users are welcome to play.

Sam4msu
04-17-2011, 08:19 PM
I just finished paying off the hospital for my recent back surgery. I can't think of a better way to help support my local emergency room staff than to be in there once a week or so to have them repair the damage that I would be able to cause to myself with a great tool like this!!!

DadisDrunk
04-17-2011, 10:49 PM
When I first arrived on this planet I was worried about the violent nature of the human species. If I were to be found out, surely I would be captured and subject to experiments that resulted in my premature autopsy. It was a thrill trying to fit in with you. The threat of imminent danger created what you would call an “adrenaline” rush.

As you probably can imagine, once the thrill wore off I was sad and longing for some excitement. I have done some things that I am not proud of while seeking the rush once more. If you have to ask, though, you can’t afford it. Besides, those stimuli have since lost their effectiveness. I must move on to a new drug. I must bleed.

I plan to practice this “shaving” craft on my own face until the danger wears off. Once I no longer feel the rush of scraping sharp steel across my face, I will move on to shaving others. I live near a rail-yard frequented by unshaven hobos. Under the cover of night I will sneak into their camps. While they sleep, drunk under their newspapers, I will rid them of their unsightly beards. If I am discovered who knows what will become of me! Perhaps I will be gutted with the sharp lids of their empty bean cans.

I do not know how this journey ends. I do not know if you will want to hear it. I can’t take you inside my mind. Razors are all we have in common. Although we have a steel bond between us, I simply am not human in your sense of the word. But, you must believe me, I am on your side.

Zeno
04-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Okay, I am definitely in. In fact, I was just thinking about trying my move to a straight razor, but I have been hesitant due to the fact that I have never tried one out of fear and for the protection of my livelihood.

While the rest of my face may make every child shriek at seeing my hideousness, every babe weep at my approach, and every woman cry out, "Dear God! What is that thing;" I shall always have my perfect Adonis upper lip.

See, I am a “labium superius oris model”. That’s an “upper lip model” for those of you not in the business. My upper lip has brought me wealth and fame beyond imagination. My upper lip has modeled for Men’s Health, Skoal, and numerous J.C. Penny catalogs. Many of you have most likely seen my upper lip in multiple ChapStick and cold sore commercials. My upper lip has received movie deals as a double for many a famous actor; or actress even! It is so famous that it got an Oscar nod in 1989 for its part in Dead Poets Society, only to loose out to the left foot in My Left Foot. I don’t want to go into that other than to say that I was robbed and that the Oscars are biased against body parts without digits!

I often ask myself in third person, “David, could your upper lip be more beautiful?” Obviously, this is followed by a hearty gaffaw. After catching my breath I think aloud, “David, are you really that incredibly shallow so as to think that your perfect upper lip can’t be even more perfect?”

Of course I already get BBS shaves from my GEM OCMM, GEM Junior, Fatboy, and others! Of course the insurance policy on my upper lip from LLoyds of London has exclusions for using a straight razor or kissing hairy lipped women! Of course I could slice off my philtrum! But could it just be that a straight razor can take my upper lip from fame and adoration to the stuff that legends are made of? I say, “Damn the weepers, stitches, and scars, I’ll do it!”

The way that I see it, outside of my upper lip the rest of my face is grotesque. So no real loss there if things go bad. Also, if the experiment fails and I severely disfigure my upper lip, I can rack up by turning my shave diary into a best selling autobiography. As long as I throw in some stuff about drug abuse and saving orphaned puppies, Oprah should be all over it.

Honestly, I haven’t been this excited since I scored the Triple Crown of body part movie deals. I know that some of you probably already know what I am referring to, but for the others, lets just say that next time you are watching Look Who's Talking, Look Who's Talking Too, and Look Who's Talking Now, check out the upper lips. Pure gold baby, pure gold.

Legion
04-18-2011, 06:04 PM
:lol:

Keep em coming.

igloo
04-18-2011, 06:21 PM
What could possibley be more fun than cutting up my face like a Thanks Giving turkey and watching the stock ticker go up for Band Aid Brand products . Why the shock from the emergency room bill of course . But hey chicks dig scares right !

martiniduck
04-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Please count me in.

Simple answer: Strait Razors are Johnny Mother F**cking Cash Cool!!!

Crag
04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm in!

The reason that I have not used a str8 is that my children have a way of sneaking up on me when I'm shaving and grab onto my naked legs with their icy cold hands and it makes me jump.....I have a scar on my forehead...yeah, MY FOREHEAD, from my 2-yo son doing that...Okay, okay...I was trimming my eye brows, yes MY EYEBROWS...and then wham! Those ice cold fingers on my er...um...thighs....AHHHHHHHH!!!!

You see...My eyebrows grow like Henry Kissinger or Leonid Brezhnev...

No stitches were needed, but I didn't trim my eyebrows again until he was around 4!

:thumbup:

gnarsurf
04-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Why do I want to try a straight? Well I haven't had much luck DEs. For some reason they just don't work for me, I don't know why. My first razor was a nice tech. After the first shave I knew DE wasn't for me. Shaving with a straight just seemed right. Here is the picture of my first DE.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=158388&stc=1&d=1303177536
After that I purchased my first straight set up. I figure the seller must have been out of his mind or maybe he just didn't know what he had. This only set me back $150 and the ebay listing said it was "R@RE!!" and "***~Vintage~***"
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=158389&stc=1&d=1303177623

Why am I the perfect candidate for this contest?
When is a 17 year old kid not the perfect candidate for a contest?

Seldon
04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
First of all, thanks for such a great PIF. I have wanted to enjoy, and master, the art of Straight Shaving for quite some time. I lament the loss of the "gentleman" of yesteryear, clean shaven, dressed smart, well-mannered. When I first got into the swing of trying to live a more...refined lifestyle, my wife thought I was crazy...until she felt the BBS. However, SWMBO has declared that the cost of getting into the Straight side of shaving is more than she can bear. Therefore I humbly submit my entry into this PIF, in hopes of joining your ranks.

Also, it would fit in with my other manly hobby of polar bear wrestling while log rolling down an Alaskan river.....with one hand tied behind my back.

MattB
04-18-2011, 07:05 PM
So, I've been talking to others about the benefits of straight shaving, as I am skeptical, but curious. I've been DE shaving for over a year now, and love the BBS shaves I am getting.

There is something genuinely manly and strangely seductive about shaving with an instrument that varies between amazingly smooth skin, removing a few layers or simply lacerating me beyond recognition.

I've been asking around, and hearing from other straight shavers about their experiences and recommendations. I have to say, that the straights make a compelling argument, but some of the claims seem to be slightly exaggerated:

1. One Straitie (is that what you call yourselves?) claimed that once he started using a straight his vasectomy reversed and his sperm count went up.

2. Another claimed to be bald prior to straight shaving: once bald, his head started growing hair because it was jealous of his face.

3. Random women accost "straities" on the street simply to admire the closeness of the shave? Apparently supermodels are especially seduced by the power of the straight.

4. Another individual testified to the manliness of straight-shaving by claiming that the month that he started using the straight he became so virile that he impregnated all of the women in his office, simply by his proximity. All of the women had male twins.

5. One stratie claimed that once he started using his straight, his DE shaving boss gave him an immediate raise and promotion.

6. Straights have to be in your checked luggage.

7. I never realized that using a straight could cause thicker, fuller hair and is more potent than Rogaine.

8. Only a straight can cut Chuck Norris' beard, but it grows back every morning!?!?

9. Most straight razor shavers can't afford new soaps or brushes, as most of their money is spent on child support and extra-strength condoms.

10. Finally, apparently strait-shaving is so manly, it makes Tabac smell good.

As I said, I think some of these claims are overblown. However, I would like to submit my willingness to test these claims for myself. Despite having taken measures to prevent further procreation, this is a precarious commitment, as it may result in further familial complications with SWMBO, if the claims are true.

However, seeing as all of my children to this point have been girls, I am slightly curious to see if the straight shaving would not only reverse said measures, but would also cause a male offspring simply by virtue of the manliness involved (this part of the process will not be cataloged on the forum).

I would like to help others by sifting through these claims to get to the truth of some of these statements. By helping others understand the manliness if being a "straitie," I could be doing my fellow man a service by helping them decide based on the facts, and not some tall tales of masculinity.

besides, i just cant believe that anything is manly enough to make Tabac smell good....

oc_in_fw
04-18-2011, 07:36 PM
besides, i just cant believe that anything is manly enough to make Tabac smell good....

whoa now- them there's fighting words:lol: Good post:thumbup:

du52
04-18-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I would love to shave with a straight but all the honing and stropping and such seems like too much work.

djm2
04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm in!

The reason that I have not used a str8 is that my children have a way of sneaking up on me when I'm shaving and grab onto my naked legs with their icy cold hands and it makes me jump.....I have a scar on my forehead...yeah, MY FOREHEAD, from my 2-yo son doing that...Okay, okay...I was trimming my eye brows, yes MY EYEBROWS...and then wham! Those ice cold fingers on my er...um...thighs....AHHHHHHHH!!!!

You see...My eyebrows grow like Henry Kissinger or Leonid Brezhnev...

No stitches were needed, but I didn't trim my eyebrows again until he was around 4!

:thumbup:

Be thankful the kid didn't reach a bit higher!

superbleu
04-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Great entries guys, these are a laugh to read.

Keep them entries coming.

ddk13
04-20-2011, 10:39 PM
I am definitely interested in trying a straight razor. But then I saw the pictures. The strop in particular. I started shaking, my eyes welled up and now I'm sitting in a corner sobbing uncontrollably barely able to type. "No Dad I wasn't spinning cookies on the ice when I wrecked the car". Dad says "I'm gonna ask you one more time". "Were you jacking around and spinning cookies?" "Of course not Dad." Low and behold a neighbor saw me doing it on the football field and let my Dad know about it. I smashed into a wooden barrier pole and snapped it in half. If I told the truth my car would not be repaired and I would never have a car again and I would never have a girlfriend LOL. I took three swats (to put it nicely) from that strop. The best part was that the pole I snapped in half was given to me for my h.s. graduation from our lovely neighbor (my h.s. math teacher). Here's what I learned. Rule number 1) never lie to your father. Rule number 2) if you need to lie to your father refer to rule number 1.

Yes I would definitely love to try a straight razor. All fears and childhood memories removed!! :001_smile

YoungGeezer
04-21-2011, 10:56 AM
10. I have a bunch of extra Neosporin around the house that works really well for healing cuts.

9. It will further my "old-manness" which is a good thing. I already smoke a pipe, drink bourbon straight, DE shave, and just don't understand kids these days (I'm 27).

8. Rumor has it, it does provide a superior shave...I'd like to find out.

7. Instant credibility as a man. Guys are already impressed that I DE shave, why not take it to the next level? It's fun to tell guys that while sipping on straight bourbon, while they are rocking 2 day peach fuzz and a vodka cranberry.

6. Sterling Archer does it (from FX show Archer) and he's awesome.

5. I've only been DE shaving for a month, I won't have to many bad habits to unlearn.

4. I'll PIF a 1958 DE Gillette TV Special (with case) in honor of the generous nature of BB.

3. A BBS shave scores major points with SWMBO...never a bad thing.

2. I love shaving, how many guys have put a towel steamer on their wedding registry?

1. Fate...I'm getting married on April 30th, 2011 at Noon, the same exact time this contest ends. A gift from BB would be greatly appreciated!

deruitem
04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Okay I NEED to be in for this one. Why you ask!

1. My wife (common theme around here) would kill me for spending more on shaving items.

2. Its more manly

3. I currently dont have the

4. I have been wanting to try it since the day I tried my DE

5. Why not its free

6. I will PIF my Gold Gillette Tec with a pack of Derbys if I win.

Thanks for reading

Skyrider55
04-21-2011, 01:13 PM
So, I've been talking to others about the benefits of straight shaving, as I am skeptical, but curious. I've been DE shaving for over a year now, and love the BBS shaves I am getting.

There is something genuinely manly and strangely seductive about shaving with an instrument that varies between amazingly smooth skin, removing a few layers or simply lacerating me beyond recognition.

I've been asking around, and hearing from other straight shavers about their experiences and recommendations. I have to say, that the straights make a compelling argument, but some of the claims seem to be slightly exaggerated:

1. One Straitie (is that what you call yourselves?) claimed that once he started using a straight his vasectomy reversed and his sperm count went up.

2. Another claimed to be bald prior to straight shaving: once bald, his head started growing hair because it was jealous of his face.

3. Random women accost "straities" on the street simply to admire the closeness of the shave? Apparently supermodels are especially seduced by the power of the straight.

4. Another individual testified to the manliness of straight-shaving by claiming that the month that he started using the straight he became so virile that he impregnated all of the women in his office, simply by his proximity. All of the women had male twins.

5. One stratie claimed that once he started using his straight, his DE shaving boss gave him an immediate raise and promotion.

7. I never realized that using a straight could cause thicker, fuller hair and is more potent than Rogaine.

8. Only a straight can cut Chuck Norris' beard, but it grows back every morning!?!?

9. Most straight razor shavers can't afford new soaps or brushes, as most of their money is spent on child support and extra-strength condoms.

10. Finally, apparently strait-shaving is so manly, it makes Tabac smell good.

As I said, I think some of these claims are overblown. However, I would like to submit my willingness to test these claims for myself. Despite having taken measures to prevent further procreation, this is a precarious commitment, as it may result in further familial complications with SWMBO, if the claims are true.

However, seeing as all of my children to this point have been girls, I am slightly curious to see if the straight shaving would not only reverse said measures, but would also cause a male offspring simply by virtue of the manliness involved (this part of the process will not be cataloged on the forum).

I would like to help others by sifting through these claims to get to the truth of some of these statements. By helping others understand the manliness if being a "straitie," I could be doing my fellow man a service by helping them decide based on the facts, and not some tall tales of masculinity.

:jump::jump::jump::lol::lol::lol::jump::jump::jump :

oc_in_fw
04-21-2011, 04:13 PM
kind of off topic, but why does this thread keep moving to different foums? Makes it kind of hard to keep track of.

honed
04-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Wonderful, wonderful replies so far boys! Keep 'em coming!
The winner will forever be remembered like the boy who made himself a man!

And if you still are on the fence, do remember that chicks dig scars :biggrin:

In case any Europeans sees this PIF & feels jealous, there is really no need to.
There is a rumor going on that a custom-scaled, personalized C.V Heljestrand will be the straight of choice :w00t:

TnutsShave
04-21-2011, 04:49 PM
A great contest for a deserving person, however I would not like to be included.

Upon receipt of my first DE I hoisted the instrument of follicular decimation high above my mortal head and exclaimed "By the Power of Grayskull!!!".

I can't be sure what would happen if I obtained this straight razor, but I can only surmise that interstellar travel and Jessica Biel would somehow be involved.

fondoo
04-21-2011, 05:13 PM
how do i apply?? :)

Drewser
04-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Well, in all respects except one, I'm a pretty old-fashioned guy. A gentleman, if I might quote the ladies. However, every summer I don brightly colored lycra and race bicycles all over the place. Why, you might ask, does competing in this particular two-wheeled endurance sport conflict with one's manliness? It's the legs. Cyclists shave their legs, myself included. Why? Well, that's a story for another time... The long and the short of it is striding around with BBS legs generates looks, stares, questions, and yes, sometimes giggles (from others, not the cyclists, mind you). Women compare smoothness, turning green with envy when I win. To maintain some sort of balance I turned to DE shaving- a blessed ascent from the bowls of multi-bladed beasts with glide strips. I progressed to embrace SE shaving, entrusting my waning manliness to my trusty Damaskeene and it's glorious resonance when shearing off my stubble. Alas, even that was not enough. Tabac has turned his back on me. Even the "Veg" won't come near me with a 10-foot pole. I am a man on the brink, in dire need of stepping it up to rescue what's left. If shaving had a dial, the straight razor would be at 11. That's the kind of power I need.

Please include me in the contest! You guys ROCK!

njpaddy
04-21-2011, 06:13 PM
If I was 25 years younger I'd give it a shot. However at my age my hearing with 2 ears sucks. I don't need to be lopping one of 'em off with a straight. Cool PIF though. I'll put it on my list of things to do in my next life.

shmeegs
04-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Damn. I was one day too late! Really.

oc_in_fw
04-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Damn. I was one day too late! Really.

No, I think it is open until the 30th

Alacrity59
04-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Wonderful idea. Best to get the practice in as soon as possible so you can enjoy a good shave.

DVM2012
04-21-2011, 07:25 PM
When I was a wee little boy, I watched a movie with my dad (who was the 2nd manliest man I ever knew) called The Shootist. Some of you might know the film. It stars a man by the name of John Wayne. At one point in the film, he was shaved by a barber with a straight razor. I thought that was the coolest thing my little 6 year old mind had ever seen. John Wayne was (and still is) the manliest man I had ever seen.

But...

I recently rewatched The Shootist. You know what I saw? I saw a BARBER shaving JOHN WAYNE. My whole life, I've tried to be a more manly man than John Wayne. I don't think it gets any higher than that.

Gentlemen, I think I've finally found my advantage. John Wayne didn't shave himself with a straight. He always had a barber do it. I can do him one better. I can do it MYSELF! :devil::devil: Take that, Duke!

No, but really, I've always been incredibly intrigued by shaving with something that will never require me to buy any replacement blades. I get an incredible amount of satisfaction and pride out of a job-well-done. I enjoy taking care of my tools, and straight shaving would be no exception. Nobody would take better care of their first straight razor than me, and I'll even wager that nobody would work harder at properly maintaining the cutting edge on that blade. Oh, and who wouldn't want to point and laugh (Err...I mean encourage :lol: ) at me as I struggle through the first month(s) of learning a new craft?

PS, I promise that a DE won't touch my face for AT LEAST another 8 months :biggrin1::biggrin1:

GuitarGuy
04-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Oh great patrons of straight razor shaving, ye who have bent down to share your wisdom with we mere mortals here in the valley of safety razors, ye whose shaves are closer, whose razors are sharper, who dare the very specter of death every single morning...

Hear my plea and be merciful to me - a safety shaver...

I have only recently escaped from the valley of cartridge shaving and found myself in the glorious land of DE... My razor burn is gone, my morning shaves are glorious, my AD is at full tilt, my shelves quickly filling with razors, soaps, cremes, A/S and EDTs... Shaving has become my glorious obsession...

YET... In the midst of my joy and delirium... Even as I dream every night of the next day as a chance for a BBS... Even now - I have learned that I have not yet arrived at that place of ultimate perfect fulfillment. There is yet another level - yet another heaven - higher than my eyes can behold, populated by beings who live like real MEN - unafraid and daring. Those who shave within micrometers of death and love it!!!

I long to loose the bounds of this new-found DE heaven and press on to the heights of shaving glory!!!

Yet, my precious wife (SWMBO) is convinced I have utterly lost my ever loving mind as box after box arrives each day - filled with precious blades, soaps and fragrances. I am literally within days of being committed to an asylum...

Please lift me up that I may but glimpse upon the heights you tread so lightly... That for a short while I can understand your bliss and then share the dream with those I so joyfully leave behind...

Your humble supplicant...

jtb
04-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Please include me.

I have tried a straight before though, it was pif'd to me. I cut myself three times so I got scared :scared: so I pif'd it away.

I'm really ready to try again :w00t:

fishaholic
04-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Am I manly enough for a straight? NO! "Why?" you may ask. Because I'm a WOMAN. Manliness is SO overrated! Men are such simple creatures, anyway. I mean ... you guys were SO PROUD when a select FEW of you finally managed to do more than one thing at once that you had to create a new word for it ... "multitasking". Bah! Humbug!

Think about it guys ... how many women that you know aren't capable of:

1. Cooking dinner
2. Monitoring the 3rd grader's homework
3. Talking on the phone
4. Doing laundry and
5. Preventing the 2 year old from electrocuting himself by sticking his finger in the electrical outlet

... all at the same time!

Moms are the
Original
Multitaskers!

And, as for the guy with the bear, elk, and whiskey (I found that post hilarious, BTW) ... you mentioned a wife. It doesn't surprise me. Who do you think was telling the poor guy how to do things right, without being crazy enough to go near the bear herself? And who had to haul his sorry a** off to the hospital when he did something as stupid as swallow his knife (again!). And who had to take care of the elk and the whiskey, as well as her usual work when he was laid up after doing something stupid? The WOMAN, of course!

So, I deserve this straight. Not for being man enough. But for being MOM and WOMAN enough!

(All said in jest guys! But with Mother's Day coming up soon in the US (May 8th), I figured it was time to put in a good word for all the women around here ... especially after all the threads about being "manly", hiding things from SWMBO, etc.)

Deacon Frank
04-21-2011, 08:48 PM
a 2.5” bridal leather strop donated by Larryandro at Whippeddog.com

What exactly is a bridal leather strop? Possibilities:

1. A whip-like instrument made of leather meant to keep the bride from turning tail and running away before the ceremony;

2. A whip-like instrument made of leather wielded by the bride to keep the groom from running away during the ceremony;

or, 3. A whip-like instrument made of leather for... after the wedding... :blush:

Honestly, I'm curious about straight razor shaving and would love to try it sometime.

But you might want to correct the OP from "bridal" to "bridle"...

Chiro75
04-21-2011, 09:06 PM
A haiku for my entry:

My face is hairy
A straight razor will save me
I need my face kissed

climbstrong
04-21-2011, 09:25 PM
seriously, what could be radder than holding a deadly weapon to your throat and taming it to do your bidding? that's living on the edge.
but, oh the vanity...i like my face unscarred. running a 3 inch, unprotected blade against my face for 20 or so minutes just screams for blood; to say nothing about over my jugular!
but truth be told, this is the reason i started wet shaving with a safety razor: to eventually get a straight and be a man.
count me in, and if i win it's name will be RAMBO (as in First Blood).

cal1630
04-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Just started using a double edge razor about four months ago, I bought it at an antique store. I wanted to try a straight razor but thought better of it, maybe if I could win one in a contest. hhhhmmmm, I can just see it now, local man dies while trying to shave, I really need this razor:thumbup:

liege
04-21-2011, 09:53 PM
I heard from a distant uncle, who is known to be very reliable, that I am related to a famous painter by the name Van Gogh.

And this is also a fact; genetics is pure science. It works!

I got snookered into a game of "Power Mumbly-Peg" when I was only ten. Well, how can anything good come from a group of knucklehead ten year olds playing "Power Mumbly-Peg"? Yep, you may have guessed correctly by saying, "He lost one of his ears when the game got out of hand."

It's been over forty years since I've come close to anything sharp, other than the Gillette Atra and round pointed scissors.

I think I am now ready to possibly take the plunge with a straight.
I need to call my therapist now.
Thank you.

JPA
04-21-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm a newb. Plus I'm a Canadian... Well, one who's moving to the US very quickly so I wasn't fully sure if I apply. (Already started getting paperwork together and applying for jobs, and most probably will be ending up in Seattle where my brother already lives).

Ever dream of reading about a silly Canadian slicing up themselves while trying to straight razor shave? Here's your chance :behead: Don't worry folks, my igloo cleans up real nice just by adding another layer of snow.

It's something that doesn't scare me, I actually use to be addicted to cutting so what better way than to put a nice razor in my hands? :thumbup: Don't worry, I have gone through years of rehab and I can ensure you that I have graduated and am fixed.

The kit would have a lot of use with me. Not only do I have to shave off my playoff beard regularly, but I also shave my head and have to do it every 2 days. That's plenty of time for me to cut up myself and add to all my scars.

And lastly, April 30th, 2011 is my 30th Birthday!! For the past 4 years, every year my friends get together and buy me a new smoking pipe, let's add to the collection of man toys. The biggest birthday, topped of with a straight kit?! How can that be topped?! Well, maybe if they moved the Superbowl to then and I had tickets...

Legion
04-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Wonderful, wonderful replies so far boys! Keep 'em coming!
The winner will forever be remembered like the boy who made himself a man!

And if you still are on the fence, do remember that chicks dig scars :biggrin:

In case any Europeans sees this PIF & feels jealous, there is really no need to.
There is a rumor going on that a custom-scaled, personalized C.V Heljestrand will be the straight of choice :w00t:

There will be something for the guys in the southern hemisphere as well.

...But it's not going to be THAT good! :lol::lol::lol:

Hey! We made the front page, I see. Cool.

Rubrum
04-22-2011, 03:42 AM
Hey, have you all heard the latest news?

Due to new political treaties, Italy is now considered CONUS!!! WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED! :w00t:

Jokes apart, Great PIF! :thumbup:

I have been intending to get into straights for a while now.

Perhaps soon. :-)

troutforumbum
04-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Why? How B.A. would it be for myself to wake up in the chill of the morning and arise from my tent on the trout stream and shave streamside?
Imagine if you will...I'd stoke the fire, heat up some water for coffee and warm lather. While my badger brush was soaking I would be washing and prep-ing my face, sipping some a hot cup of coffee, cowboy coffee at that, saying a morning prayer, and taking in the beauty that surrounds me.
Then I'd shake my brush, whip up a lather with some mama's tradewinds. Kneeling by the stream with a brush in one hand applying the lather and a small hand mirror in the other. Picking up the straight and as the blade make contact all goes silent in my surrounding and the sound of cutting hair fills the void. After I'd wash my face in the cool water of the stream, apply some pinaud clubman AS, string up the 3wt rod and go fly fishing the rest of the day.

bassopotamus
04-22-2011, 07:40 AM
I have been wanting to try a straight razor for a while now because I figured nothing would blow the cobwebs out of the brain like staring down death every morning.

Akarui
04-22-2011, 07:52 AM
:thumbup: I like it but don't count me in I'm still to much of a wussie to go without my trusty safety

mux3102
04-22-2011, 08:00 AM
I'd love to be considered - the DE in a pink bathroom with a flowery shower curtain just hasn't been enough to make me forget that the bathroom is pink and that we have a flowery shower curtain.

dfollett_98
04-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Please consider me for this PIF. I have never tried a straight razor due to its nickname of "Cut Throat".

I have fond memories from when I was 5-years old watching my Grandfather who was a Conductor with the Southern Pacific Railroad shave with a straight razor he had just stropped in the train station in Los Angeles. After the shave he applied Old Spice then let me feel how smooth his face was after the shave. To this day the scent of Old Spice reminds me of him.

I would like to try a straight razor in honor of my grandfather. Thanks for your consideration.

Don

thatsilverguy
04-22-2011, 09:32 AM
If I had been a little more of a procrastinator and had the spare time that Global_Dev has this would be perfect. I think I have made too many entries under the "Which straight did you use today? (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=179250)" thread to try and lie my way into this competition.

Alas, I started straight razor shaving just a little over a month ago and have already made the journey from "Mr Styptic-face" to "Mr. Always-SAS" (sorry, I don't bother bragging about PFSes and BBSes - that's for others to judge). I will say that BWTW is currently much happier with how my face feels than 2 months ago :biggrin1:

Nice gear for some newbie. DE shavers will probably already have their other shaving gear and these will make a nice start with Straights:

Nice vintage blade
Very nice - smooth - strop (and the linen is nice too)

Good luck. It will be good to compare notes

superbleu
04-22-2011, 09:40 AM
A few notes,

I'm going to open this up to our brothers in the great white north (read Canadia).

Also member huck1680 has graciously offers a brush to add to the winners booty. I'll try to have one of the mods update the original post when I get a chance to incorporate the pictures and what not.

This has been getting such a good response, I'm going to try to get a second razor and strop together for a second prize.

Good luck gents and keep those entries coming.

elderbrasil2002
04-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Choose me. "Why?", you ask. Because I am a man in all but this. Like the Tin Man who lacked only a heart, I lack only a straight razor kit to complete the circle of manliness. As I sit in my log cabin that I built with nothing more than an ax and some willpower I find a great void that can be filled only by such an amazing straight razor kit. All of the trout fishing and deer hunting in the world will only satisfy that void temporarily. I long for the day where I can rise with the sun, walk down to the ice-cold stream with my hounds Blue and Kodiak, and shave off my stubble with a razor sharp blade. At times I find the mounted heads of elk and my bear skin rugs mock me because my razors still have safety guards on them. "This is the man who killed me with a buck knife?", says the bear. "This is the guy who made a hand-made snare and caught me in the thickets?", says the elk. Gentlemen, you have a chance to make my life whole. You have the power. Please use it wisely.

edfehrman
04-22-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm in...

I have wanted to try straight razor shaving because...

(1) QUALITY: I am a tool & die maker from a family of tool & die makers so I appreciate finely made tools. I like the idea of buying quality tools and using them for a lifetime.

(2) SELF-SUFFICIENCY: I appreciate a sense of self sufficiency. Straight razor shaving, to me, implies that I am no longer dependent on some company to produce blades for me. I dont need to continually go to the store. I would be responsible for MY blade, when I need it to be sharper the solution is no farther away than my own strop and my own labor.

(3) LEGACY: I like the idea if leaving well made tools for my sons. I want to leave them not merely stocks and bonds but memories, skills & rituals that I taught them, and personal tools that I used and enjoyed everyday. Something that perhaps they could pass on one day as well.

I havent tried straight razor shaving before now because I bought into the notion that rushing around being busy is somehow superior then spending time doing simple but pleasurable things. I was also concerned I lacked the proper skill but then again, isn't the essence of life is acquiring various skills, enjoying them, and hopefully sharing them with others? I think I am now ready both to spend the time and to learn the skill of straight razor shaving.

Respectfully,
Eric

Malache
04-22-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm in...

When I was very young I remember going to my great grandfather's house. He was a very large and impressive man. He cared for all of his grandchildren, practically raised my father due to his broken home. This man never got out of the third grade and supported his family by being a farmer, factory worker, and peddler during parts of his life. I can never remeber being scolded by this man basically because of the stories of him taking a strop to anyone that got out of line. I had no idea what a strop was but it sounded scary.

This is a man that I look up to for all that he did. Every man in the family could be out worked by my grandfather until he became ill around the time of his 81st birthday. This is a fact I have heard from several uncles and cousins so it must be true. He was a man that would shave his face with a straight razor! He was a man that slammed his finger in a door, lose part of said finger, then go to work! He was a man that got bitten in the nether regions by a black widow and not complain! ( Out houses really blow.)

He was a man I want to be like... that is why I have wanted to try a straight razor shave. And now that I know what a strop is I can see why i was scared.

sailor61
04-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Always have had a morbid - yes morbid - curiosity with straight razor shaving.
But I've always been way too chicken to try one. Only reason I can figure out for my fear is that I saw "Sweeney Todd" as a kid.....Mrs Lovett's meat pies anyone???

drabiithare
04-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Always have had a morbid - yes morbid - curiosity with straight razor shaving.
But I've always been way too chicken to try one. Only reason I can figure out for my fear is that I saw "Sweeney Todd" as a kid.....Mrs Lovett's meat pies anyone???

Actually, yes, I have seen Sweeney Todd, which leads me to my deep, dark secret: I got into wetshaving three years ago because of watching this musical. I know, I know, in light of all the bear wrestling, patriarchal, testosterone pumping threads I see in this thread, my entry is kind of... not.

Being a broke-ass college kid though, I did have the opportunity to go through three years of penance. What this means is that I started shaving with a VDH boar brush, williams soap and DE blades (no razor) that I split in two after being inspired by the shavette (where you can break the DE blades to load it). Learning to shave this way was difficult because those damn blades are pretty small after you split them asunder, leading to some wonderfully high blade angles and a fair bit of razor burn. Not only that, but fingers aren't exactly the best stabilizers out there, so the extreme flexibility led to some interesting blade catches and cuts. The best part was doing all this in the floor-wide bathrooms in my dorm - you get some of the oddest looks when you've got an exposed blade in a college bathroom. I can only imagine that their thought process went from, "is that kid cutting himself?" to "wah...???" as they also took in the brush and soap to "that bastard is CRAZY" when I actually shaved. Second best was holding paper towels to my face to stem the bleeding, also in the public bathroom (bastard IS crazy).

Since then, I've upgraded to single-edge blades, which are wider, letting me lower the blade angle, and which are also more rigid, which is more forgiving of pressure.

Full disclosure - I just won a PIF for a DE razor and a badger brush from the super user jsfabn, which I'm super excited to try and can't wait to receive. However, I have to say that I'm a little afraid that I will miss the completely connected feeling I get from handling the blade itself, and learning to hold something projecting 90 degrees from the cutting blade should be interesting. Obviously also, good old Mr. Todd used straights, not DEs. What I'd really love to do is give both a try and see which I like more, and I hope you give me the opportunity. Either way, I'm super excited to have joined this community and have to thank you for holding such an awesome act of generosity. You guys rock!

jesta384
04-23-2011, 04:25 AM
I would like to submit my entry....

Not too long ago I wasn't much of a man. I wasn't the best partner to my romantic interests, I wasn't the best friend, I wasn't the best student, and I wasn't the best at work. I do not wish to be better than any one in a dominating way, I just wish to be reliable, dependable, inspirational and guiding. A classic kind of man. For the last 10 years I have been maturing in my own ways. I gave up the rebellous teenage angst first and foremost, I developed a much better sense of self reliance, and personal style. I cultivated the self respect every individual, and every man needs to have for himself, his family and those around him. I dedicated myself to my studies and while working full time in the military, am actively perusing my collegiate aspirations by night. I have my associates, am closing in on my bachelors and will not stop there. I will press to achieve another bachelors, a masters and perhaps one day a PhD. I spend as much time with my children and family as possible. I work to enrich their daily lives and educate them in the arts, music, sciences, history culture and all the many incredible things of the universe. I retired screen printed t-shirts and ridiculous fashions. I enjoy a good solid color t-shirt and casual jeans as much as short and sandals by the beach, however many days I can be found in a stylish, yet simple button-down, sometimes with a tie and sometimes without. I fancy suits, vests and sweaters. I am to be casual and presentable at all times. Even if I am at my most relaxed and casual, I still wish to represent myself,and my family with distinction. When I bought my first DE and brush in November of last year it was the beginning of the next stage. As stated previously, I do care about my appearance, however the time, skill and attention to detail and my daily preparations was something I wished to advance further. Now I begin every morning with what is jokingly identified as “man-care”, a kind of ritualistic experience that allows the daily mundane routine of shaving to become the most enjoyable, enriching and fulfilling way to start a man's day. Nothing gets a day geared for success then waking up with hot lather, a good brush and a good shave. By advancing from DE to straight, it would be a new way for me to begin my day, for me to accept the things that come my way and to adapt and overcome them. To start a day with the sharpest of tools, prepares the sharpest of minds to create the sharpest of men.

Legion
04-23-2011, 04:52 AM
More good ones! It's gonna be hard to pick a winner...

Actually, I have just seen that brush that has been added to the pot. Now I want to win it! :lol:

Keep em coming guys (and gals :wink2:) . This is getting interesting now!

Hornwort
04-23-2011, 08:24 AM
My name is Hornwort, I am twenty-five years old, and I want to begin using a straight razor because shaving is not a grooming process, nor a matter of daily routine, and certainly not a chore. Shaving is a ritual, a meditative practice, and perhaps more than anything else, an art-form. I want to make the switch to straight because although paint-by-numbers (http://vladdolezal.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/merkur_razor.jpg) is a strong improvement over a can of spray paint (http://www.apetogentleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/gillette-cartridge-razor-300x204.jpg), and even though I may not yet have perfected my technique (http://www.fanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/freddy-krueger.jpg), I have the passion and the drive to pick up the oil paints (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5070/5625254868_838544fcb3_b.jpg).

I want to begin using a straight razor because I believe the gentlemanly arts of our forefathers to be caught gasping in a stranglehold here in the West. Masculinity itself, my friends, is under attack; not from metrosexuals, feminists or the Home and Garden network- nay, but from laziness. The laziness of young (and old) men who cannot be bothered to put on a suit to go to work, or refine their palettes to the delights of fine liquors, or even to learn how to read an analog watch. The very soul of the Western gentleman is dying out because of the laziness of young (and old) men who cannot be bothered to spend a few extra minutes shaving which is not only of crucial importance the gentleman's smooth, sharp appearance- but also for gentlemanly reflection, and consideration for his daily behaviour. I have been using the double-edge for only a few weeks, and already I have brought over no less than five men from cartridge to single-edge. I have done this not only by demonstrating the vast benefits of the old ways for one's skin and visage, but also for one's confidence, demeanour and self-respect. I know that, given time and the support of the B&B, I can convert these and exponentially more to the straight razor, and swell the ranks of refined gentlemen in the West by its transformative power. Shaving with a straight razor is a matter of countenance in every sense.

I want to begin using a straight razor because I wish to be no longer dependent upon blade manufacturers in distant lands for a smooth look, but instead relying only on my own two weathered, rugged hands. I want to know that even if mankind experiences a catastrophic zombie apocalypse (http://www.zombiesarecoming.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/zombies-shaun.jpg) I will still be capable of keeping both my face and blade clean and keen (and if any member of the ambling dead should sneak upon me whilst shaving, I'll not be unarmed!). I want to begin using a straight razor because to be a man of action, a man of distinction, and a man of adventure... one simply must (http://media.social.s-msn.com/images/blogs/00250065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d2-0000-0000-000000000000_20110225215003_Archer%20Double%20Deuc e.jpg).

I want to begin using a straight razor because I have the enthusiasm, the articulation and the photographic intuition to share the journey of the learning process with my fellow gentlemen at Badger & Blade, that my shaving journal may be not only a record of my nick-and-scrape filled adventure, but a tale of inspiration for any and all here who have secretly desired to take the leap to straights, but for whatever inhibition have not.

Thank you sirs for your consideration, and good day.

- Hornwort von Shavington, Esquire.

6Jv3lL6imzU

benvh
04-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Ever since I started wet shaving with a DE I've wanted to go up to the next level of obsession: straight razor shaving. I've always appreciated the old ways of doing things...wet shaving, fountain pens, vinyl, roasting my own coffee. The list of obsessions goes on and on.

I guess the only reason I haven't given it a shot yet is because the only facial hair that grows on me is a goatee. A perfectly formed goatee. That being the hardest part to shave with any razor, really, makes me think the learning curve will be even more difficult with a straight. Especially without the flat areas to start on.

We can all understand how these little (or big) obsessions can take hold of us. So I've been hesitant to start buying up all this cool straight razor stuff lest I become discouraged in learning and give it up.

One of these days...

Ben

AreUGlad
04-23-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm just gonna give it to you straight. My objective is simple. SWMBO has decreed that I must shave my testes satchel hairs. But that Ladies and Gents is where the simplicity begins and ends.

First off, the hairs in question are in fact composed of mithril. Look it up.

Second off, I've had naught to shear them with save a piece of sharpened Bayou Lafourche narwhal baculum. Doesn't quite cut it, pun intended because there's really no choice.

Lastly but not leastly, I am poor, in that I have no money.

It is rumored in the Shire that the only blade that can clear mithril pubix is the Beverwyck no.10 of legend. But only after being stroked and soaped with a pure black badger hair brush set in elk antler.

So, in summary and to close, I'm a poor man with hairy balls.

The answer is clear.

Malache
04-23-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm just gonna give it to you straight. My objective is simple. SWMBO has decreed that I must shave my testes satchel hairs. But that Ladies and Gents is where the simplicity begins and ends.

First off, the hairs in question are in fact composed of mithril. Look it up.

Second off, I've had naught to shear them with save a piece of sharpened Bayou Lafourche narwhal baculum. Doesn't quite cut it, pun intended because there's really no choice.

Lastly but not leastly, I am poor, in that I have no money.

It is rumored in the Shire that the only blade that can clear mithril pubix is the Beverwyck no.10 of legend. But only after being stroked and soaped with a pure black badger hair brush set in elk antler.

So, in summary and to close, I'm a poor man with hairy balls.

The answer is clear.

There is such a thing as too much information. :lol:

EFaden
04-23-2011, 06:04 PM
When I was growing up my father always used a disposable razor to shave so that is what I knew. I only saw the mystique of the straight when we went to the barber. I never actually got a straight razor, but where was something really amazing about watching the barber strop the blade and then use it. As I got older and eventually found out that my face didn't like disposables I discovered Badger and Blade and now shave only with SE/DE razors, good cream, a badger brush, and a scuttle. While on B&B I learned of those who used straights to shave, but the idea of slicing open my jugular vein or carotid artery have kept me away from it. Recently I have really been wanting to try it, but between the cost and the fear I haven't. Medical school is very expensive and between that and the wife there just isn't the money to start it. ... Thats my story.

DE_Dude
04-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Even though I've progressed over the last year from DE to a Parker shavette, I have a fear of shaving commitment to the straight--which razor? Which strop? Which hone? It's too much!! I'm not ready!!!!!

But if I'm a winner, I'll take that as a sign that it's time to begin. :thumbup1:

Please enter me in the contest!

Bison204
04-23-2011, 11:04 PM
My grandfather, who was a barber, passed away when I was fairly young, and one of my most vivid memories of him are of sitting in his barber chair, being about 8 years old. Later in life, I was given 2 things which had belonged to him: his rifle, and his barber's mug. I restored his rifle to a useable condition and now hunt with it. I put his mug to use when I started using soaps and a brush, but I have yet to do it justice and honor him by shaving the way he had for so many others: with a straight razor.
I've gotten my hands on an old rusty razor which I tried to hone, but lack of skill in honing kept me from ever taking it to my face...

Tak
04-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Hello, everyone. I know it sounds crazy, but this package was meant for me. It's four in the morning and I decided to google around straight razor shaving. It's something I've had an interest in for a while, but I've never been able to find a good way to 'jump in'. After countless link bounces, I landed on your front page. I saw that lovely seasoned blade, and saw it was a contest, and knew it was fate to land here so few days before the deadline.

Straight razors are a statement, in the same way motorcycles or super cars are. There's an inherent danger that goes with placing an solid piece of raw, honed steel next to two of the most important blood vessels in your body and applying pressure. But that risk, through skill and patience, can be mitigated and eliminated. And by conquering that risk, by applying the most dedication, you can reap the greatest rewards. To my imagining, the shave you can achieve with a straight razor will far and away exceed the shave achieved by other means.

Why would I want to try such a thing? I can only liken it to the same motivation that made me try smoking a briar pipe for the first time. Sure, i could just have a Marlboro and get some nicotine in the system. Or for a few extra style points, I could spring for a nice cigar. But smoking a cigarette or cigar is just smoking. Smoking a pipe is an event. It's an engagement with what I'm doing in such a way that I'm more fully appreciative of the time I'm spending. The component products, while in name the same ("tobacco is tobacco, right?" says the outsider, "a lighter, a match, what's the difference?!"), the sum total is so many orders of magnitude greater that the end experience is, simply, exquisite. I *know* this is true for the pipe.

I can (and currently do) shave with some bits of plastic and safety-layered steel. I know I'm not always happy with the end result. I know that some of the chemicals in the shave can bother my skin. But it works, more or less, and I must settle and move on. Then I see you fine people. I see that you are not settling. I see you care for your blades like family heirlooms. I see you compare and share notes on creams and aftershaves.

I am intrigued, but to breach entry to your world has been made difficult. The never ending drumbeat of 'settle...settle...' from the stores, from the radio, from the television. Surely, those people on the commercial are so happy with their plastic shave, so I can be that happy too. There mustn't be anything better out there.

"Steel is steel, right? Shave cream is just shave cream, what's the difference?" say I, the outsider. I see, off in the corner of my vision, a bright spot of color. Of men who enjoy their shave. Of time not spent shaving, but time enjoyed shaving. But I turn my head, and the color is gone. The drumbeat marchers on, 'settle....settle....'

Fine gentlemen, I humbly request your help in experiencing this hidden world. Help silence the complacency. Help me learn how to enjoy my shave!

Also: I'm twenty six and lost my job in IT a few years ago. As such, I have returned to school. It is going swimmingly and will most certainly be worth it in the long run, however my fun budget is greatly reduced. This includes, sadly, my ability to try new things that I'm sure I would enjoy. I'm not afraid to 'pay' for what I'm after in other ways, however. If selected to receive this wonderful gift, I promise not only a written 'shave journal', but a video journal as well. Badger and Blade will gain a complete transformation series from old Mach 3 shaver newbie to straight blade shaver. I will have to apply what I've read on stropping, honing, and proper shave angle and technique. Will it work, will I like it? Sirs, it would be my privilege and honor to find out with this fine kit.

And of course, if for some reason I just lack the coordination or knack for straight blade shaving or just plain don't like it, the whole kit gets shipped off to someone else here to enjoy. :)

Cheers,
Stephen

RandalltheRed
04-24-2011, 08:01 AM
I am ever so glad to see that this is now open to those of us in Canada!

I have wanted to try a straight since I was 5 years old watching my grandfather shave with his. I'd watch him strop the blade on the long leather strop, lather up his face from old mug and scrape away the whiskers. It was such a wonderful and manly thing to behold.

When I was old enough to shave my father bought me a Gillette de and introduced me to "modern" shaving. In learning how I think I bled as least as much as I would have with a straight! I still felt that a straight would have been the best way to shave!

The desire for a straight never left me, I'd constantly be looking at them in antique stores even while I went down the shaving order into cartridges and dare I breath the word...electrics!

When I found Badger and Blade I was thrilled to find a band of brothers that encouraged me to get back to using de, Thank you all! Now, I am brought back to my original desire, the desire of that 5 year old boy...to shave with a straight!

Gentlemen, my favorite broadway play is Sweeney Todd!

"A splash of Bay Rum if you please!!!":thumbup1:

cwnidog
04-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Please enter me.

I've wanted to use a straight razor since I was a kid watching my grandfather use one. Also, I've always wanted to know whether Vincent VanGogh ended up that way by accident and invented the bit about giving his ear to a girl he wanted to impress just to cover his own ineptitude.

Snappy Lunch
04-24-2011, 07:22 PM
I would love to use a straight. My MIL gave me the FIL's straight when he passed. I never did use it.
Well, my BIL found out that I had it and said he wanted it. So being the gentleman that I am:001_rolle I let him have it. Wished I had used it while I could. I do still have his Every-Ready brush.
All came out fine in the end. I still have the FIL's Pings. Irons, Woods, putter and tour size bag. He can cry all he wants, he is NOT getting the clubs.

kitsrock
04-25-2011, 12:13 AM
As curious as I am, I won't be participating. I'm still trying to get a hang of safety razors, and starting on straights might be too much of a jump for me.

Good luck to everyone who enters! :thumbup1:

DerekDE
04-25-2011, 11:03 AM
It started when I was a kid spending time at my grandpa's house
I remember every time I'd use his bathroom my family always thought I fell in or fell asleep because I was too distracted admiring his gigantic collection of vintage shaving gear to leave the room...

The straight razors he has always caught my attention making me wonder how someone could shave their face with such an object with out flaying cheek skin off of themselves and the thought of it used to make me wince.

Now many years later that I actually have hair on my face that needs to be shaved off lead me through the goo in the can and awful multi-blade cartridge razor.
Got awful shaves from it... Memories stirred of my grandpa's collection and remembering all of the old razors sitting on his display shelves lead me to do some research and buy a DE, tried it, love it, but now its just not as fun anymore because i don't have to labor over it like I used to...

I have a shaving addiction now and it cannot be quelled until i place a bare unguided blade to my face and start learning how to skim the hair off with an age old, time tested, sharp as a samurai sword edge!

ravl10
04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Thank you for a great PIF, please count me in!

I have just picked up traditional shaving and started with a safety razor because of the learning curve, but one of my shaving goals is to one day shave with a straight razor. I have always been fascinated by blades, having fenced (sword fighting, not yard delimitation) all through college. I have a small collection of knives and if I could afford it, it would be a big collection.

The reason I haven't tried a straight razor yet is because I have a feeling that once I do, I will undoubtedly fall into the grip of Acquisition Disorder for life. Straight razors are such simple and beautiful tools, so much workmanship goes into them, I don't think I would be able to escape.

:001_smile

honed
04-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Good dang some of you writes such beautiful entries that it brings man-tears to my eyes :thumbup1:

klassic1
04-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Why I want to shave with a straight razor?

I wish I could say that ever since I was a lil tike I dreamed of shaving my beard using the ol’ fashioned traditional straight razor. Like my daddy’s daddy and his daddy before him.
Alas this is not the case.

Having been born in the Mach3 era of disposable shaving tools I never knew what I was missing. To me, shaving with a straight razor was just something men did in black & white movies. Or you had to be a true grit John Wayne, Charles Bronson, and Clint Eastwood type character to be eligible to join the straight razor shavers club.

I’m no wimp, but I wouldn’t compare myself to those fellas in terms of caliber of manly men. So when I came into adulthood and began shaving with those atrocities from the 99c store then with Gillette turbos and Mach 3s I never knew what I was missing.

But I was missing something! And as my 20’s turned into my 30’s I was compelled by life circumstance and dissatisfaction to become a better “Man”; A better man in every sense of the word. I began to read more books, the classics mostly. I went from a boxing fan to a boxing die-hard super-fan. I became more physically fit and continue to do so. I vowed to be the best father and husband I could be. I renewed my sense of responsibility and ambition.

So, in doing internet research on “self improvement” I came across some websites which led to other websites and finally I found myself at Badger and Blade. I became engrossed, and some would say acquired Acquisition Disorder. I found that shaving with a safety razor and utilizing the accoutrement of tools/creams/soaps that go along with a more traditional wet shave brought along a cathartic sense of wholeness.

In this ritual, that I had for many years skimmed through as a chore was a daily fulfillment, a daily manifest of success and reinforcement in my journey to be a more complete man.

I am Charles Bronson, John Wayne, and Clint Eastwood in those 20 minutes each morning. With my shave brush in one hand, shaving tool in the other, and a face full of frothy lather.

I can only conclude that it would be a greater sense of a fulfillment for me, completing my daily shave with a…straight razor!

Carlos_Antonio
04-26-2011, 05:12 PM
If these guys can do it, in the middle of frozen Germany (http://youtu.be/q95OApfJaRQ)... Then I need to have the guts to do it at home or anywhere in the world.

Because traditions must live on...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4458488529_ee7733b73b.jpg

joshmkeener
04-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok fine if chosen i will keep the diary WITH PICS so that not only can you laugh at my ugly mug.... but at what i do to it with a HIGHLY sharpened piece of steel.... i can see the medical bills rolling in now. I have been wanting to try a straight for some time but not only am I chicken,but i had been broke for some time( it's not cheap to get into, and also... you know ..... the stitches and what not) so not only would you pass the bug onto someone else, but you would be doing a service to me and you.... me, so i can get into the art, and you so you could enjoy the masochistic pleasure of watching another grown man cry at the sight of his cheek sitting in the sink(j/k..... I will be carefull)

helreidh
04-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Wow, with all the great posts that I've seen, I'll be surprised if I am considered. All the same, it'd be a shameful to not present my case.

To start, I just want to clear the air and say like many, my father was not present in my youth to teach me the finer points of self-grooming. I don't mean this to be a sob story by the way - just bear with me. On the day I was to graduate from middle school into the wide and intimidating world of high school, I went out with my mother to purchase a cheap electric shaver. Razor? All I knew was that this hunk of plastic and metal removed my facial hair.

Fast forward - several years later, probably closer to when I was to graduate high school, I decided that the scraggly bits of stubble that always remained after even my most careful "shave" had to go. I bought my first disposable (which would be shortly followed by a Mach 3 for glory untold) and a can of shaving cream and learned how impossibly great it felt to have bare skin once again. My world had changed.

Still, the saga continued. I carried my cheap kit with me to college, keeping myself groomed well enough, yet bit by bit realizing I still wasn't satisfied. I took it upon myself finally to find out what it really meant to shave. To call on the internet in its infinite wisdom to show me the way. I learned about techniques to soften the hairs, got myself a cheap boar brush and soap (still using the thing, even though many of the bristles continue to fall out), and finally came close to what I had been looking for, lost all those years.

To this day, when I am seeking a sense of calm relaxation, I can place myself in front of the mirror, lather up, and feel the tension of the day's troubles fade with every stroke.

Now I am 23, almost a year out of college and feel I am truly embarking on life's journey, ready to claim one of the things I have yearned for. While some might consider it childish, I think that practicing and perfecting the best shaving experience possible will solidify, at least in one part of my mind, my manhood. The road up until this point has been long and lonely, in the company of people who for the most part cared nothing for this passion. So I have spent the last week searching, learning about how to get that perfect shave. I finally found my way to this forum, filled with people who practically celebrate the liberation of the face from unwanted hair, and here I find this.

I now have a chance to redeem myself for all those lost years. To you, Badger and Blade, I humbly submit my request, to give me this chance, this opportunity to achieve one small dream, and I will make you a part of my perfect shave. One done the right way, with the right tools, so that I may proudly count myself one of you fine connoisseurs of the cut, you sultans of the shave, some of the finest examples of gentleman to grace the earth with your presence.

California Cajun
04-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm in...

I have wanted to try straight razor shaving because...

(1) QUALITY: I am a tool & die maker from a family of tool & die makers so I appreciate finely made tools. I like the idea of buying quality tools and using them for a lifetime.

(2) SELF-SUFFICIENCY: I appreciate a sense of self sufficiency. Straight razor shaving, to me, implies that I am no longer dependent on some company to produce blades for me. I dont need to continually go to the store. I would be responsible for MY blade, when I need it to be sharper the solution is no farther away than my own strop and my own labor.

(3) LEGACY: I like the idea if leaving well made tools for my sons. I want to leave them not merely stocks and bonds but memories, skills & rituals that I taught them, and personal tools that I used and enjoyed everyday. Something that perhaps they could pass on one day as well.

I havent tried straight razor shaving before now because I bought into the notion that rushing around being busy is somehow superior then spending time doing simple but pleasurable things. I was also concerned I lacked the proper skill but then again, isn't the essence of life is acquiring various skills, enjoying them, and hopefully sharing them with others? I think I am now ready both to spend the time and to learn the skill of straight razor shaving.

Respectfully,
Eric

Those are all great reasons. It's funny that some people who think I'm crazy to try this generally don't shave daily because their cartridges chap their face. I'm a BBS or bust type of guy and although I haven't achieved it with a straight (I have with a DE) it's fun trying.

fledermaus98
04-27-2011, 01:35 PM
When I was growing up I always used to see my Dad's badger brush and soap sitting on the counter in our small bathroom and wondered what it was for. One day I saw him lather the brush and apply the soap to his face and then produce what I thought was a knife and gently scrape it down his face. Magically, it seemed, all of the hair and soap disappeared. I'd stand there and watch him every time I had the chance. The ritual of lathering the brush and stroking the blade on the leather and the sudden sharp smell of Brut 33 became a Sunday ritual. As my Dad got older he moved away from the straight razor to a safety razor, and finally the cheap disposable razors took over a few years before he passed. The ritual and tradition of shaving with a brush and a straight razor were lost on me as a teenager and well into my twenties. It wasn't until my wife, bought me a brush and safety razor that I began to remember those Sunday mornings. Any time we are in an antique store she can leave me at the case of straight razors and know just where to find me when she's done shopping. I have never tried one because I have always been intimidated by them. My Dad never taught me to use one. I have had several shaves with a straight razor at barber shops and it is a great feeling! It wasn't until I found this site (today actually) that I really felt that I have to rekindle this tradition, if not for myself, then for my son who will never know his grandfather.

Samurai-5
04-27-2011, 02:32 PM
My answer is simple. I've always wanted to know how to shave with a straight razor because my Grandfather used to do it. He said the Army gave him a safety razor in WWI but he could never get used to it.

Slivovitz
04-27-2011, 05:06 PM
On second thought, please withdraw me from consideration.

I gave into the temptation to apply for a freebie, but I have so much already that it would seem wrong to accept more as a gift, even if it's something I don't have yet. The late addition of the brush only emphasized that; this should go to somebody who has less "stuff" than I do. My chances of being selected may not have been all that high, but now the other folks chances are just a bit higher.

Some time this year, I may follow the path I'd already decided on for an introduction to straights, a Feather AC, but I'll purchase it myself.

Thanks again to all the individuals who offered these generous gifts.

arross2
04-28-2011, 12:46 AM
I'm in.

Though I have been enjoying my DE razor for about a year now, I've always let my gaze wander to the fine straight razors in the BST forum.

How, you might ask, could I resist the blades' siren song?

What could possess a proud pirate enthusiast like myself from engaging in a cutthroat shaving ritual?

Would I not benefit from having a shave utensil that doubles as a deadly weapon, in the case that I am assailed in the bathroom, a place where one is (allegedly) most vulnerable?

I will tell you my reason, fellow brothers of the blade and brush. It is not for lack of courage that I have neglected the calling. It is out of lack of health insurance. Rest assured, this barrier has been overcome. I am now prepared to take up my blade. The edge so keen with unimaginable violence lurking beneath the surface, longing to be unleashed at troublesome facial hair and bathroom ninjas alike. I will attain a shave so epic, normal men could not look upon it, for its radiance would destroy them utterly.

Warmest regards,
Allan

jimmy28303
04-28-2011, 11:16 AM
count me in please. Thanks

Ateo
04-29-2011, 09:29 AM
I just now ordered my first safety razor, brush, and soap, because I finally decided to get off the Mach train before they started hitting double digits.

Figure, instead of learning with a safety razor, just jump in with both feet and learn with a straight razor. If nothing else, I will finally be rid of that bump on my chin, and what better way to start each day than with a bloodletting to get rid of all those bad humours.

I also guarantee than if I a deemed worthy to receive the excellent prize, I will post videos of me trying to learn to use it. I will make arrangements for the video to be posted by someone else, if I happen to hit an artery.

joefarley48152
04-29-2011, 02:13 PM

I've lurked for a long time. I finally registered just to get in on this PIF, then somebody goes and takes my answer! Thanks a lot!!

LOL

Joe

jaimeaux
04-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Hellz yeah!

I've always wanted to try a straight razor for several reasons:

It's manly (to the extreme)
One blade, One face, One survivor... (two men enter... )
Never needing new blades...
never having to decide "derby," or "merkur," or "Feather"
Always looking like the man, shaving like Crocodile Dundee....
Smoothest. Shave. Ever.
I've never been to a classic (face-shaving) barber...
The Ultimate shave. Period.

That's what I got, gents. *crosses fingers*

pyrguy
04-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Well the last time I shaved with something other than a safety razor I used a Bucklite Scout knife. I had forgotten my razor at home so after a week of camping I was forced :biggrin1: to shave with the knife. (Actually I was showing off my masterful sharpening skills)
I would think that a straight would be much safer than a Buck knife, COLD water and no mirror.

Legion
04-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Good ones guys!

Keep em coming. Not long to go now!

txinsk
04-29-2011, 11:27 PM
I am glad that this is now open to the frozen north as I would love to enter here. Following are the reasons why.

First and foremost it would be practical, with the flooding we are seeing this year it would be good to not worry about where shaving supplies might come from if the roads flood or even wash away.

I always have wondered if leather is good in the bathroom...:001_rolle

Country living should require a good set of country accessories and my shaving is painfully out of sync.

As one who could grow a proper beard in High school (to the shame of many of my teachers :biggrin1:), I have come to realize that my stubble needs serious equipment to tackle it.

If I use fountain pens daily and dip pens, at least, weekly I should try a straight razor.

Occasionally, I might have need for a red ink for my dip pens, this experiment might provide me with some...:biggrin1:

I am an Eagle scout, I know how to care for a blade and appreciate how a good one works.

I always like trying to surprise my wife and I would love to see the look on her face when she sees it.

My wife is a nurse and during my learning curve we do have her skill set on hand ... :biggrin1:

Finally, if I wake up to a zombie Apocalypse as I get ready for the day at least I will be armed with something better than a mach3 grater. :laugh:

Rick

Nickfree
04-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Good day to you, good sirs!

Before I begin

Before I begin my submission, I must express my gratitude to Superbleu and the other Straight Razor Stewards for arranging this. It’s a noble thing to give a poor little guy like me the chance to shave with the big boys, whom I so admire.

I think that Zeno deserves a commendation for his very funny post:

I often ask myself in third person, “David, could your upper lip be more beautiful?” Obviously, this is followed by a hearty gaffaw.

…Pure gold baby, pure gold.

Though I was less than impressed by the alleged quality of your “labium superius oris,” reading the above caused me to gaffaw so heartily that I cracked a rib AND pea soup came out of not one but TWO of my nostrils (and I only have two so that’s about as much soup as can be heartily gaffawed out of this (now rather sensitive) schnozz).

…Pure gold baby, pure gold.

Finally, a shoutout to GuitarGuy:

Oh great patrons of straight razor shaving, ye who have bent down to share your wisdom with we mere mortals here in the valley of safety razors, ye whose shaves are closer, whose razors are sharper, who dare the very specter of death every single morning...
Hear my plea and be merciful to me - a safety shaver...

Amen.

Philisophizing… What is manliness?

Also before I begin: In reading some of the responses to this PIF, it occurred to me that a reasonable number of entrants posts tended to revolve around the razor helping them to be manly. This is reasonable insofar as shaving with a straight razor is manly as f^*k. However, I feel that some entrants may be misguided in their interpretations of manliness.

What is manliness? Manliness is more than just having a penis. If it wasn't (more than just having a big pickle), then there would be no reason to ask such a question and even less of a reason to go as far as to write it down (the question, that is) and even less of a reason to answer it… and don’t even get me started on how outrageous this sentence will seem when you get to the end and find that I’ve cleverly placed two exclamations mark right here!!

What is manhood other than having a big yellow banana? I think manhood is also taking a practical approach to life, an approach in which we are confident and comfortable in knowing what we know and constantly trying to improve our KSA’s (knowledge, skills and abilities). This can be contrasted with women, who tend to spend most of their time being uncomfortable about what they don’t know. Take, for example, the phrases “Do these shorts make my butt look fat?” and “The reason I called you 75 times in a row even though it was clear after the first 22 that you weren’t going to answer was because I was worried!! You could have been lying in a ditch somewhere by the side of the road!!! I can’t believe you didn’t do this and my friend Sherry’s boyfriend does that and rah rah rah bla blah bloo blee bloo… pfffft.” I’m sure an acceptable number of you get my point and so I’ll leave it at that.

Right. That wasn’t very clear, was it? You are probably asking yourself where I’m going with this. “What does this have to do with straights?” you may be thinking. The main point is that you shouldn’t want to shave with a straight so that you can be manly. Rather, you want to shave straight because you are manly. As our friend, edfehrman aka Eric, so succinctly wrote, straight razors make practical sense because of:

(1) Quality

(2) Self-sufficiency

(3) Legacy

…and various other reasons discussed elsewhere in his post and in this text. By the by, I must congratulate you on a solid post, Eric. Well, done.

My first glimpse of the straight

I distinctly remember the moment when I went from being an oblivious little boy with little ambition or prospect to an ever so slightly less oblivious little boy who wanted to grow up to be a man. This moment, as I understand was the case with quite a few young fellers like myself, happened to be during a movie.

I remember the feeling clearly when I saw Mick Dundee sharpen his hunting knife and scrape it against his face in a way that made a noise like a spoon on a steel washboard and that blonde American chick (very nice!) just stood there all sexy in her bathing suit and nearly fainted. She was overpowered by his manly scent. It was an epiphany! It was a total and overwhelming feeling of respect and awe. Picture a 10 year old kid in his pajamas standing 5 or 6 feet in front of the TV. My eyes were widened in a fixed stare, mouth ajar slightly, a single drop of drool threatening to leap from the corner of my mouth and make a break for the old beige shag carpet minding its own business below.

In my mind all that could be heard was the rhythmic, shrill, pre-pubescent chanting: “THAT’S A KNIFE! THAT’S A REAL KNIFE! I WANT ONE! I NEEEEEED ONE!!!!! CROCODILE DUNDEE IS THE COOLEST!!! I’M GONNA BE A MAN!!! I’M GONNA BE A MAN!!! THAT’S GONNA BE ME SOMEDAYYYY!!!!”

Unfortunately, as some readers may have already guessed, that is not going to be me someday. At a certain point, best I can recall is that it was somewhere between puberty and university, I realized that women like money (me too!) and there’s not much money (or prestige, for that matter) that comes from sleeping on the ground in the Australian outback, skinning crocs for a living and eating snakes/ants for breakfast.

Of course, women also like Crocodile Dundee but for some reason I don’t think an out of shape, prematurely balding, soon to be banker in tight jeans, cowboy boots and a snakeskin jacket (don’t forget the hat!) is going to have quite the same effect on the ladies (I'm good with the boots and jacket but never could pull off that hat…). No, my friends, I am on a different path.

Ok, so this story wasn’t really my first sight of a straight razor, just a teaser. Get past it. On to the real story…

My real first

Let’s cut the crap. This is obviously an outrageously long post so without any further adieu, I bring you the first time I saw a straight razor in action. In one word:

Hook.

And then a few more to clarify:

Cap’n James T. Hook of the Jolly Roger

Yes. I am talking about Peter Pan’s pirate-arch-nemesis. If you recall, though I doubt a group as manly as yourselves would (because Disney cartoons are not manly), there was a particularly hilarious shave that shmee gave to his dear cap’n. What could be manlier than pirates shaving each other? Well, actually, pirates that shave each other with straight razors! That’ll do... Moving on: Since you manly men will not have seen this childish cartoon, I have provided it here to give you some context. I was both entertained and intrigued by this epic shave, though slightly confused. See if you can guess why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKWy_bwygJ0

Puberty

So that was my childhood. On to puberty: as a young lad of about 12, I was sent away to overnight camp in the Laurentians (a mountain range in Quebec near Tremblent) during the summer. I remember brushing my teeth at the washhouse (what we called the cabin that had toilets, showers, sinks, etc.) and looking up to the guys who had enough scruff/fuzz to shave. Specifically, I recall them complaining about what a burden it is to have to shave everyday. How, when they were younger, they used to want to shave but now it had become such a burden to them.

Bastards. Of course, they were right about it being a burden if you just see it as a chore.

Woman, singular.

I have come to sympathize with this viewpoint more recently, not because I’ve only recently begun shaving (I haven't) but because of my girlfriend. I’m 24 now so it’s been a few years since I first wielded my battle razor (well… safety razor, that is).

Margaret and I have been together for about two years now and for those of you that aren’t familiar with Hong Kong gals, how can I put this most gently, they must control over everyone and everything. Based on the smattering of “SWMBO’s” and the like, which I’ve seen around the boards, I would say that many of you understand. What I mean to say is that as hard as I try to resist shaving, she somehow manages (often via strategically placed tears, kicks and screams) to get me to do it.

I’ve got all sorts of excuses: “I’m in exam mode,” “Too many zits in the way I don’t want to disturb them,” “comeoooooooon I’ll do it tomorrow,” etc.

Regardless, apparently her skin is very delicate and my manly scruff hurts her. I’ve already tried suggesting that she stay away from the scruff when we’re in bed but that’s just tended to evoke further tears, kicks and screams. So don't bother. Unpleasant. The things we do. Ugh.

So why can’t I just pretend it’s not a chore?

You know, suck it up? Stiff upper lip and all that wot wot ol’ chap? It’s not just a chore because you see it that way. It really is expensive, unpleasant and uncomfortable.

For me specifically, it’s unpleasant and uncomfortable because of the shape of the area of my neck directly on and beside my adams apple, the area of skin that refuses (with any amount of stretching) to form into the shape the Mach 3 wants it to. The result? I end up making so many passes to get those few stray whiskers that the skin becomes up raw and irritated and don’t even get me started on ingrown hairs…

http://flic.kr/p/9DcosX

Ouch. If I believed in god, I would ask him/her why.

The Mach3 is expensive because I have no money, which it turns out is less than they charge for Mach3 cartridges. Furthermore, according to the B&B wiki, “aerosols used to dispense the cream or gel from the can are not good for the environment” and “aerosol foam and gel are generally viewed as poor lather.”

I concur.

Ritual

According to someone smart, like a dictionary, ritual is a repeated action that has a symbolic significance that exists outside of the physical act itself. The actions are performed primarily for their symbolic value and so the experience becomes greater than the sum of its parts, the actions.

A good example of why this is significant is the art of drinking/preparing (not necessarily in that particular order) Chinese tea. Most of my life, I’ve shunned tea in favour of its older brother with a better tan, coffee (espresso, really). After all, I am an avid supporter of pragmatism and what could be more practical than fresh cup of espresso, mmmm...

Oh great! Now I've drooled all over the keyboard. Give me a minute...

Ok, I'm back. For me, tea was dry, stale, old, etc. but I’ve come to realize that it’s actually an amazing experience if you do it correctly (note: I didn’t say it’s an amazing “drink”). I’ve found that the benefits of tea can be found in the ceremony, the ritual preparation, as much as in the drink itself. Try to imagine a server bringing you a pot/cup of tea in a restaurant. Not very exciting, huh?

Right. Now imagine taking an oolong or aged pu’er tea that you hand selected (just the leaves and buds, of course- leave those bags at home!) and placing them in your traditional gaiwan (like a small porcelain bowl with a lid) where you add water that you heated to exactly the right temperature. Finally, wait for 10 seconds before pouring it out and using it to rinse your utensils. You don’t actually drink this one. You then refill the gaiwan with water and let steep for one to two minutes. Finally, you pour out the contents into your cup, using the lid to keep the leaves out of the cup. Enjoy and repeat between 2 and 20 times depending on the leaves (and how much you like it).

What I’ve tried to describe here is a ritual that, when compared with the classical Western tea bag experience, provides a familiar, serene, comforting experience no matter where you are in the world. Almost akin to meditation.

For those of you who are intrigued by the tea but also want to get on with it already, this is the quick, "Kungfu" version of the ceremony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzTAj5-8gdg&feature=related

For those of you that would like to see how everyday gals and their pal with a handheld cam enjoy their relatively informal tea party, see the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x8hOPj0ziA

Notice how she first rinses with hot water. The purpose of this is twofold: (1) to clean any dirt or impurities that may affect the integrity of the steep. (2) to heat up the utensils so that the tea won’t cool down as quickly. I won’t go into further detail here but feel free to PM for more info/links.

Back to business: Now, I have yet to experience the straight razor shave. Not even in a barbershop (I know, sorry) but I have come to believe that, as with the tea, the straight shave provides much more than just a smooth face. It is a ritual, which holds greater significance than just in the act of shaving alone.

If it is anything like the tea experience, performing the shaving ritual can give you a sense of knowing, of stability, and of triumph. Triumph over mother nature, who intended man to wear an uncomfortable beard. Triumph over bone and steel, which would otherwise resist our shaping and coaxing into blade or scale. In those 15 or so minutes, you are plugged directly into the Dao. Mainlined. Straight in through the arteries. You become one with every person that has used the razor before you. You are in the rhythm, the flow of the shave. You are connected with everyone else in the world that uses a straight or has used one in the past, living or deceased, or anyone that will use one in the future as we pass the tradition on to future generations. Like a devout worshiper kneeling in prayer or a rower on a glassy lake at sunrise, it is not merely the act in itself but the symbol of the ritual as a whole that offers us the most value ...I think. Like I said, I’ve not yet had the pleasure.

Nice Gear

I am drawn to this particular PIF and have put forth as much effort as I have, in part, because the items being PIF’ed are delicious. The razor looks like it has history.

Personal anecdote: When I first started rock climbing, I went out and bought a new pair of climbing shoes. I enjoy gear. And so after buying, trying and subsequently returning the cheapest pair they had, I went straight for the best pair, the Sportiva Testarossas. They were perfect in almost every way. The main issue was that I looked and felt stupid at the gym. There I was, a total newb and likely the least skilled person there. Even worse I was making a fool of myself on some of the easiest routes. I did, however, have the flashiest shoes. They were the type of shoe that you see someone wearing and you say “WOW! That guy knows what he’s doing!” Then, when it turns out that he doesn’t know the first thing about what he’s doing, he becomes the butt of a plethora of mean and hurtful jokes. This is exactly who I do not want to be when I get my first razor. Of course, as a practical man, I try not to worry too much about what other people think. It still feels wrong, like using a diamond-studded toothbrush. With little experience and an obvious lack of appraisal ability, I have quickly grown tired of losing bid after bid on ebay. It's time for a real razor. Fingers crossed:w00t:

Aside: What does PIF stand for? I’m sure it’s something amazingly simple and I’ll feel stupid later for having asked but I looked all over the interweb and asked everyone I know and all I’ve been able to come up with is...

paid in full
price is free
peculiarly ill freebie
peice I’ll forfeit
present is for (you)
Party, in fact.
…and so on. Phew, really had to stretch for those last few...

Edit: I am being told by the wiki's list of abbreviations that PIF stands for "pay it forward" ie. giving stuff to newbies. Not to be confused with "paying it back," ie. newbs give stuff to the vets. Seems reasonable.

Why have I never tried Straight Razor Shaving?

Those of you that have managed to get this far may be wondering why, given the above, I have yet to actually experience the straight razor shave. You are probably also thinking to yourself how clever I must be to have realized that you must be wondering this.

You may say to yourself: “Why hasn't he just got a razor already? You can get em for $62.50 on Amazon, he knew about it, he realized how cool it was, he knew about the practical benefits, he knew how awful cartridge razors are, etcetera, etcetera… Well, you can all bite me because here are the reasons (I’m sorry, I really didn’t mean that at all. I’m really very sorry):

Papa, where are you?

My father was never around for me when it came to shaving. I’m not looking for pity. It has definitely stunted my growth as a person, having a bearded father. I have never seen my father without a beard. It is long- at least a good 6 inches.

The closest I’ve come to seeing him without a beard is a 1” by 1” black n’ white photo in a tiny frame where my early 20’s or so year old father is sporting a groovy goatee. Don't have the pic now but can post it if there’s demand. You can imagine how disadvantaged I've been. The only shaving-related advice that I've managed to glean from my father is that it feels kind of nice having a beard and nicely compensates for a weak chin. Of course, it is possible that my dad wouldn’t have taught me anything useful even if he had been of the clean-shaven persuasion.

Money

Some of you may be familiar with the phrase “Mo money, mo problems.” I’ve always failed to grasp the significance of this lyric. In fact, I think that “Mo money, mo cool stuff that I really want but can’t have without it” would have been a more accurate representation of the real world. But I digress…

Money has been a key issue of late that has kept me from my straight razor destiny. Talk about being in overdraft. I am so far in the red that my bank wont even let me in to the branch. They just slap me in the face and call me awful, hurtful names and spit on me. Filthy habit.

So how do I manage to survive on less than no money? Living with the rents and on the OSAP train. For those of you not familiar, the Ontario Student Assistance Program is a government organization that provides student loans. OSAP is my second best friend. Though I suspect this relationship will change for the worse soon enough, as I am set to graduate this month and have every intention of not paying off my loan with the money I don’t have.

Being the reasonably bright and hard working fellow that I am, I recently managed to get myself a job at a Bank in the UK. I’m a dual citizen:) Unfortunately, I don’t start until September and even after I start I’ll be living off 30,000 pounds a year in London (which means I’ll be just scraping by)… I’ll have just less than 20 pounds a day (after rent and taxes) to feed and clothe myself. I foresee it being difficult for me to justify spending enough to get a straight, a leather strop (with linen on one side), not to mention the badger brush, when I could just steal my roommate’s razor while (s)he’s not looking… I’ll figure something out.

Mother

Mother doesn’t want me to shave with a straight razor. She loves to worry (her favourite pastime). For the time being, she still pays the bills (yes, it is possible for someone as intelligent and good looking as me to still live with his parents…) and that means she makes the rules. Though I am 24 now and should be able to make my own rules dammit!! Come to think of it, the fact that she didn’t want me to take up smoking didn’t do much to stop me. Still, mothers are really good at guilting you into doing things you don’t want to and my mother is no exception. Well not this time MOM! (only half-kidding…)

Time constraints

I start the job in September and I won't have much time to learn to use a straight while I’m working. I'll have to show up to work every morning with a clean shave and most if not all of my face still there. I think showing up to work with a missing nostril or cheek might prove to be a career-limiting factor…

Though I like to think I could figure it out if it comes down to it. It's been worse.

The right razor

About two weeks ago, I decided that I was interested enough in learning more about the straight razor that I would actually go out and do it. I spent quite some time reading everything I could and watching every video I could find about straights. I read about buying, restoring, honing, proper care and use (at least as much as you can learn without ever having touched one). I found more information than I could have ever hoped for in this forum (Thank you everybody!).

For reasons that I’ve touched upon, I wouldn’t really like a brand new razor (though I will grudgingly change my mind if anyone is considering PIFing me a new one…anyone?).

Vintage and vintage restored razors: I can’t afford the ones that are in good shape and I don’t know enough about the “rustic” (rusty?) ones to justify blowing my last $20. This is especially so because I would have nothing left to get the rest of the various required paraphernalia. As I said, the razor is a beauty because it has a story (I’d like to hear it some time, though it might be more fun to just imagine where it’s been and who used it and- but that’s a different story for a different post). The strops are exactly what they should be- exactly what a practical man like MacGyver would use. The custom, one-of-a-kind, pure black badger brush set in elk antler! Yowsa! I’d appreciate the opportunity to do MacGyver proud.

The timing of this PIF is serendipitous☺ Well, if we ignore the fact that I have now spent several hours writing this when I should be concentrating on the quickly approaching CFA exam…

Life is full of these little problems, isn’t it? I suppose that’s what shaving’s for (or something like that… it’s late, gimme a break).

Thanks for tuning in folks! Be seeing you around.

Regards,

Nickfree

Pure gold baby, pure gold.:thumbup::lol::tongue_sm:thumbup1:

drandall
04-30-2011, 06:45 AM
why do i want to shave with a straight? There is no one simple answer.

It appeals to me in part because it comes from a time when men were expected to know things....how to tie a bow tie, how to fill a fountain pen, how to properly wear a hat and which side to be on when escorting a lady. Today this is largely forgotten knowledge. To master the art of the straight razor is to reclaim a small patch of our own lost identity and by doing so demonstrate to the world that we believe this knowledge is worth saving...if only within the confines of our own bathroom.

And then...there is the razor itself. It comes from a time before the word "disposable" was invented. It was made not only to accomplish a task, but to delight the eye and bring a sense of craftsmanship and elegance into daily life. It was not only built to last, it was built to last a lifetime... a piece of functional art in a world full of plastic.

So why haven't I taken the plunge?

Perhaps I'm afraid that because I occasionally nick myself with a safety razor that I'm predestined to decapitate myself in a gruesome bathroom accident or at the very least, carry a scar that runs from temple to chin like some kind of modern-day pirate. Perhaps I'm concerned that I'll ruin my tools through a combination of clumsiness and ignorance. But I think perhaps the largest obstacle is simply knowing where to start and how to begin. There is so much to know.

This is the allure and the intimidation of the straight razor.

It demands commitment and punishes carelessness. It offers a lifetime of shaving enjoyment but only to the rare individual who is willing to face his ignorance, manage his fear, and face the unknown.

Sounds like fun.....

PerfectAngle
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
And so the daily ritual begins.

Hot water, soap, steel and time. Especially time. This is what makes it so special and so shamelessly extravagant. This and the fact that it connects him to his father and to the three generations of men before him.

For years he had heard the stories about how this razor had been in the hands of each of them and how it had been cared for and cherished as a simple and timeless way to begin each day with an activity that involved skill, precision and patience.

He had also been told how there was a story about how it had entered into his family in the first place, yet - dammit - his father had always refused to tell him that story. No matter how many times he had asked.

And now it was too late to hear that story.

But at least now the razor was his. And would be for as long as lived - until someday, hopefully not too soon - it belonged to his own son.

If only he had heard that story.

“You’ll learn it in good time, I know you will” his father would say. “You’re curious, and like looking into things, so don’t worry”

But what was that supposed to mean?

Too late to worry about that now, however. Time to make another attempt at the “perfect shave.”

Opening the cherry wood box that holds the razor, he carefully removes the ancient Beverwyck blade. The only Beverwyck he has ever seen or even heard about.

The box too, has been passed down the generations and is almost as special as the blade itself. But for the first time, he notices something he hasn’t seen before. The felt inlay on which the blade rests, has a small silk strip. Pulling it up reveals a compartment underneath.

And in there, a folded sheet of paper - yellowed with age, but obviously well-cared for.

He unfolds it and examines the contents - some sort of printed document from 2011 - almost two hundred years ago.

He reads something about a contest and notices the name “Badger and Blade”.

“Wow, that organization has been around for longer than I thought!”

He continues reading:

“And so the daily ritual begins...”

teamacacia
04-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Why have I entered the contest? Well, I don't have any special hilarious stories or anything like that but I'll tell you why I would like to win the contest (and I do have something I did come up with for the end)...

My family has a history of a few barbers who were very skilled and proud of those skills. Those family members were my great uncle and his mother. The trade was passed from mother to son and I remember many stories of my great uncle's learning to wield the straight razor. The most memorable was that he had to learn to shave a balloon without popping it. It took a significant amount of time but this skill was eventually mastered. After many years, the arthritis forced his retirement and the end of the trade in the family. Once learning of my interest in safety razors and the desire to learn to use a straight, he did something very nice. He sent to me three straight razors: his mother's, the razor he learned to shave with, and lastly, the razor he used as a barber. He also sent me an old strop and hone. This equipment is old and probably unusable which is why I'd love the opportunity to win and rekindle the family's relationship with the straight razor. I have always been the renaissance-type man, preferring to do most things the old fashioned way...saw it by hand, write it with a fountain pen on proper paper, and use a good brush/soap/razor when shaving.
And now a little something amusing followed by the family's tools...

Smokinwill
04-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Awesome PIF. I'd love to enter but unfortunately I found the post a day after I ordered a straight from Larry at whipped dog. I received that razor and am looking forward to my first shave with it very soon. Possibly tonight as it has been a few days since I shaved with my DE and I am in need of a fresh shave.

edit: So I used the straight on my face to my jaw line and my DE for a couple of passes as well. Sadly enough the only nick I got was on my upper lip and it was from my DE not the straight......

superbleu
05-01-2011, 06:10 AM
We have some really fantastic story tellers here on B&B. Thank you all that posted on this thread the response has been a little overwhelming.

It will take some time to deliberate the winner, I see lot's of PM's between the straight razor stewards coming up.

We will let you know who the winner is, but with the number of entries we have it might take a while.

Thank you all for playing.

oc_in_fw
05-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Thank you all for playing.

No, thanks to the stewards for putting this together. There was some good reading here:thumbup:

txinsk
05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Thank you for the opportunity I don't envy the decision process but I do look forward to the result.

Rick

fledermaus98
05-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks to all who donated the items, and good luck to all uf us that entered!

Tak
05-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Indeed good luck to all, apparently it's a close race! :D

I'm torn, here. I want to start straight shaving and I'm all set to order from Larry, but if I'm fortunate enough to be selected for this kit I don't need to spend the money. Saving the money is a good thin! But waiting for a decision means I spend more days with an inferior shave, and when I don't win it just means I spent all this time enduring the (at this point badly) worn out Mach 3 for naught! Oh the humanity! :lol:

Building my own lather is a lot of fun, though, so that makes it ok! :)

Nickfree
05-03-2011, 01:57 AM
Indeed good luck to all, apparently it's a close race! :D

I'm torn, here. I want to start straight shaving and I'm all set to order from Larry, but if I'm fortunate enough to be selected for this kit I don't need to spend the money. Saving the money is a good thin! But waiting for a decision means I spend more days with an inferior shave, and when I don't win it just means I spent all this time enduring the (at this point badly) worn out Mach 3 for naught! Oh the humanity! :lol:

Building my own lather is a lot of fun, though, so that makes it ok! :)

I feel your pain! :)))):thumbup:

teamacacia
05-03-2011, 04:37 AM
No, thanks to the stewards for putting this together. There was some good reading here:thumbup:

+1!!!! Many thanks to those contributing to the giveaway!

MattB
05-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Wow!

Guys, thank you very much! This is awesome and humbling and I have never been so excited to bleed all over my bathroom counter.

I officially informed SWMBO that she will now be SWO because my maniless meter just climbed a few notches. Of course, because i have not even shaved with a straight yet, she simply rolled her eyes and gave me a half-hearted "good luck" wish. She did offer to hold pressure on my neck, should I start a spurter, so I guess that's a start...

Thanks again, straities! I can't wait to count myself among you.

superbleu
05-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Congratulations Matt, you were well deserving.

Enjoy your journey down the yellow brick road, or down the rabbit hole depending on which ever fairy tale is more to your liking.

Looking forward to reading about your straight razor adventures.

Tak
05-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Good show, sir! Can't wait to hear about your adventures in further manliness. Congratulations! :D

MajorTom
05-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Congrats Matt!

Your post was really funny. Good luck with the straight!

maxman
05-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Congrats Matt.
You gave me the best laugh of the day.:laugh:

oc_in_fw
05-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Wow!

Guys, thank you very much! This is awesome and humbling and I have never been so excited to bleed all over my bathroom counter.

I officially informed SWMBO that she will now be SWO because my maniless meter just climbed a few notches. Of course, because i have not even shaved with a straight yet, she simply rolled her eyes and gave me a half-hearted "good luck" wish. She did offer to hold pressure on my neck, should I start a spurter, so I guess that's a start...

Thanks again, straities! I can't wait to count myself among you.

Congrats, MattB. Good luck with those paternity suits that are sure to arise :lol:

fishaholic
05-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Wow! Thanks so much guys for awarding me the "boobie" prize! LOL Hopefully, I'm woman enough to live up to it. Thanks to the stewards for this wonderful contest and PIF. I'll be sharing my journey with a straight so all of you guys can laugh at me... um... I mean...so you can provide support and encouragement. Thanks again!

honed
05-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Wow! Thanks so much guys for awarding me the "boobie" prize! LOL Hopefully, I'm woman enough to live up to it. Thanks to the stewards for this wonderful contest and PIF. I'll be sharing my journey with a straight so all of you guys can laugh at me... um... I mean...so you can provide support and encouragement. Thanks again!

No, thank you for bringing us back down on our feet :biggrin1:

And a big congratulations to Matt & good luck to the both of you, I'll follow your journeys with great interest :001_smile

Dennard
05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Congrats, Matt!

PerfectAngle
05-03-2011, 03:02 PM
As I said, I think some of these claims are overblown. However, I would like to submit my willingness to test these claims for myself.

All in the name of science. Well done and best of luck with your experiments! We all look forward to your "research reports."

Legion
05-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Wha... I'm awake! Did I miss it?? What happened? :blink:

Awwww

Congrats folks! And well done to everybody who entered. It was lots of fun trying to make a decision, but very difficult. :thumbup1:

drabiithare
05-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Congrats MattB! And thanks to the SRS for this awesome PIF!

GuitarGuy
05-03-2011, 05:33 PM
so, i've been talking to others about the benefits of straight shaving, as i am skeptical, but curious. I've been de shaving for over a year now, and love the bbs shaves i am getting.

1. One straitie (is that what you call yourselves?) claimed that once he started using a straight his vasectomy reversed and his sperm count went up.

2. Another claimed to be bald prior to straight shaving: Once bald, his head started growing hair because it was jealous of his face.

5. One stratie claimed that once he started using his straight, his de shaving boss gave him an immediate raise and promotion.

7. I never realized that using a straight could cause thicker, fuller hair and is more potent than rogaine.

8. Only a straight can cut chuck norris' beard, but it grows back every morning!?!?

10. Finally, apparently strait-shaving is so manly, it makes tabac smell good.

As i said, i think some of these claims are overblown. However, i would like to submit my willingness to test these claims for myself. Despite having taken measures to prevent further procreation, this is a precarious commitment, as it may result in further familial complications with swmbo, if the claims are true.

However, seeing as all of my children to this point have been girls, i am slightly curious to see if the straight shaving would not only reverse said measures, but would also cause a male offspring simply by virtue of the manliness involved (this part of the process will not be cataloged on the forum).

I would like to help others by sifting through these claims to get to the truth of some of these statements. By helping others understand the manliness if being a "straitie," i could be doing my fellow man a service by helping them decide based on the facts, and not some tall tales of masculinity.

Besides, i just cant believe that anything is manly enough to make tabac smell good....

Absolutely awesome post!!! Congratulations!!!

Nickfree
05-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I'd love to be able to say that I'm not a sore loser... but I'm considering doing something rash/hasty/outrageous to express my disappointment...

...like going into an antique shop and snapping all the scales off the straights... or peeing on the window of a local barbershop... or even *GASP* going DE!! I seriously considered sabotage for a while but then I couldn't figure out who to sabotage or how to sabotage them... it ain't easy being spiteful.

I hope you are happy with yourselves, Stewards.

Did you even read my entry? You crushed my dreams.

I'm like a young feller, all naive and idealistic, rushing off to Vietnam to try to save the world from communism but then returning just a shell of my former self, beaten by the harsh realities of war. Taken by surprise time and time again as Vietnamese army regulars pop out of their tunnels as if from nowhere, reject my PIF entries and then disappear without a trace, and all that's left behind is a smoldering corner of the webpage that once contained all of my hopes and dreams.

Hey all you other sore losers! Let's go start our own forum where people will accept us for who we are and we won't have to worry about bitter old timers telling us that a woman is more of a man than us!! Are you that impressed by vagina?!?!

For shame, Stewards. For shame.

If you need me, I'll be alone, crying in some dark, deserted corner in some lonely forum for washed-up, alcoholic, wannabe wet-shavers, hugging my only remaining friend- a bottle of antifreeze- and quietly singing 白桦林(a really sad song- youtube it if you'd like to experience the fullness of my bitterness) to myself, pausing to swig from my antifreeze and choke and gasp because I shouldn't be drinking antifreeze. Then maybe picking up a Mach3 and dry-shaving my already raw and puffy face because the pain is the only thing that reminds me I'm still alive.

I think I'm gonna be sick.

***sobs, choking on phlegm, sobs, big wet sniffle, choking on snot, hacking cough, screaming "Why, god of shaving, why?!?!?!" and a bit more snot choking- just for good measure***

Just kidding. :lol: I really am extremely disappointed, though. :lol: Pretty good post, Matt. Will you be my friend? :thumbup:

superbleu
05-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Sorry Nickfree. MattB's post was the only one that showed up on all 3 of our short list of contenders. IF it makes you feel any better, you post was in my list of top 5.

Legion
05-04-2011, 04:32 PM
I think you just confirmed why you didn't win the manliness competition. :lol:

superbleu
05-04-2011, 04:34 PM

I think Nickfree is deserving of a prize for sheer Verbosity of his entry. :lol:

Legion
05-04-2011, 04:56 PM
That's true. Maybe next time we can give points for word count. :w00t: with my typing skills, in the time it would take me to write all that I could just build myself a razor. :thumbup:

DE_Dude
05-04-2011, 05:07 PM
MattB is a lucky guy! :thumbup: Congrats!

Nickfree
05-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Sorry Nickfree... If it makes you feel any better, your post was in my list of top 5.

Wah? This caught me off guard. Thank you, superbleu. I feel my faith in the Stewards of the Straight returning. I feel the pulsing rush of rage subsiding, my green, hulk-like body shrinking to its normal size/colour. The thrust, the drive to avenge the loss of my innocence is fading, replaced by a warm and fuzzy feeling (not unlike that tingling feeling of anticipation when you have a big gulp of soda pop and feel that wonderful belch of relief coming on). The clouds part and an ora of light illuminates my heart, which begins to turn from black to bright red. A heavenly chorus fills my ears, full of the angelic melodies I recognize from songs of yesteryear (like total eclipse of the heart, and come sail away) and, and...

Oh no. There it is again... the familiar stench of hatred fills my nostrils, flames erupt from my years as I let out a howling cry of....

Ok, I could keep going but that'll probably do.

Good point, legion. I will keep that in mind. As well, I appreciate your appreciation of Bruce.

In retrospect, I suppose the fact that Fishaholic has bigger balls than me is really more of a concern for her than for I (me?)...

Jokes and jokes and jokes :tongue_sm

Ok then. Congratulations Matt and Fishaholic. Well done.:biggrin1:

Crag
05-05-2011, 12:42 PM
MattB, you lucky dog! You may have bitten off way more than you can chew there, buck-o! I hope your vas-re-connectomy makes you a herd of boys...so you can play hockey, of course...

Keep us posted on your progress...I'm looking forward to seeing your 'stronger than steel' complexion!

Grats!

CaptainK
05-05-2011, 05:15 PM
You will get a special “boobie” prize for your great entry. We are not sure what it will be yet, but we'll have a dig around and find something good for you.
How about a decoration of boobie petunias?

nd2rBWbvDbA

Kentos
05-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Grats!! Kiss your DEs good bye, and new straight ADs hello!!:lol:

oc_in_fw
05-09-2011, 06:52 PM
I'd love to be able to say that I'm not a sore loser... but I'm considering doing something rash/hasty/outrageous to express my disappointment...

...like going into an antique shop and snapping all the scales off the straights... or peeing on the window of a local barbershop... or even *GASP* going DE!! I seriously considered sabotage for a while but then I couldn't figure out who to sabotage or how to sabotage them... it ain't easy being spiteful.

I hope you are happy with yourselves, Stewards.

Did you even read my entry? You crushed my dreams.

I'm like a young feller, all naive and idealistic, rushing off to Vietnam to try to save the world from communism but then returning just a shell of my former self, beaten by the harsh realities of war. Taken by surprise time and time again as Vietnamese army regulars pop out of their tunnels as if from nowhere, reject my PIF entries and then disappear without a trace, and all that's left behind is a smoldering corner of the webpage that once contained all of my hopes and dreams.

Hey all you other sore losers! Let's go start our own forum where people will accept us for who we are and we won't have to worry about bitter old timers telling us that a woman is more of a man than us!! Are you that impressed by vagina?!?!

For shame, Stewards. For shame.

If you need me, I'll be alone, crying in some dark, deserted corner in some lonely forum for washed-up, alcoholic, wannabe wet-shavers, hugging my only remaining friend- a bottle of antifreeze- and quietly singing 白桦林(a really sad song- youtube it if you'd like to experience the fullness of my bitterness) to myself, pausing to swig from my antifreeze and choke and gasp because I shouldn't be drinking antifreeze. Then maybe picking up a Mach3 and dry-shaving my already raw and puffy face because the pain is the only thing that reminds me I'm still alive.

I think I'm gonna be sick.

***sobs, choking on phlegm, sobs, big wet sniffle, choking on snot, hacking cough, screaming "Why, god of shaving, why?!?!?!" and a bit more snot choking- just for good measure***

Just kidding. :lol: I really am extremely disappointed, though. :lol: Pretty good post, Matt. Will you be my friend? :thumbup:

This has to be the funniest "I lost a PIF" thread I have ever read:lol: Pass the anti-freeze, please

BigFoot
05-11-2011, 09:56 AM
So my fellow Stews.......I am dying to know what the Boobie Prize is. Or has it been anounced and Jane is keeping it a secret? Come on spill the "Boobies" I mean beans.

Mr. Scruffy
05-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Simply outstanding!

Thanks to the straight razor stews and congratulations mattb!

When will we see the pics?

superbleu
05-12-2011, 09:14 AM
So my fellow Stews.......I am dying to know what the Boobie Prize is. Or has it been anounced and Jane is keeping it a secret? Come on spill the "Boobies" I mean beans.

I totally dropped the ball on this.
I will try to find/hone a razor and send it along with a strop to Jane this weekend.

MattB is there a progress update???

MattB
05-12-2011, 05:24 PM
A BIG THANKS to everyone , i really feel the love!

Stewards, thank you for your confidence and rewards - this should be fun, depending upon the amount of blood loss.

Here is the thread that will chronicle my Journey into the world of straight razor shaving: Straight Razor PIF Contest - The Journey (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=207841)

come along and enjoy the journey with me!

PaulL
05-13-2011, 09:38 PM
I tried shaving with a straight, every day for about a month.
Too many cuts, pain and not a good shave.

Perhaps it was something I did wrong?
I sent out my razor for professional sharpening and honing and bought a strop.
So it's back to DE shaving for me, good results. Nice smooth face.