PDA

View Full Version : Epic music for "dangerous" shaves?

DE_Dude
04-09-2011, 02:31 PM
After a year and a half of DE, 6 months of SE and 1 month of injector, my Parker Shavette finally arrived.

I don't normally shave with music playing, but when I do, I pretty much always stick with traditional stuff--Balkan folk music and old school salsa are two of my favorites.

I felt a little bit scared and nervous to use it until I loaded up the playlist that had You're the Best Around, Holy Diver, TNT, Highway to the Danger Zone and Push it to the Limit that I was ready to DO IT!!!

The results? I think my heart rate went up, focus was 100%, no bleeding and a fine shave. :thumbup1:

One day I may have to try a real straight.

Does anyone else who ever listens to music while shaving ever pick something...you know...NOT relaxing? :tongue_sm

oc_in_fw
04-09-2011, 02:36 PM
not me. I enjoy a wide variety of music, but I love the piece and quiet while shaving. Just today, I waited to shave until my wife went to lunch with her sister. The only sound in the house was a boar brush rubbing in the lather, and a sharp piece of steel whacking the whiskers.

GDCarrington
04-09-2011, 02:48 PM
not me. I enjoy a wide variety of music, but I love the piece and quiet while shaving. Just today, I waited to shave until my wife went to lunch with her sister. The only sound in the house was a boar brush rubbing in the lather, and a sharp piece of steel whacking the whiskers.

OC, Did it take awhile for the ears to acclimate to the reduction in noise levels?

I listen to the radio right up until I put razor to face. Then the radio is off until completion of my face shave and usually until completion of the head shave.

Sir Ronald
04-09-2011, 02:49 PM
yeah I listen to Bathory while shaving! usually something epic like "Twilight Of The Gods" or "Blood, Fire, Death" :w00t:

DadisDrunk
04-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey DE Dude, can you recommend some examples of Balkan folk music? I like a band called "Beirut" a lot and I hear they have Balkan influences. I would love to delve deeper into the style.

oc_in_fw
04-09-2011, 03:20 PM
OC, Did it take awhile for the ears to acclimate to the reduction in noise levels?

I listen to the radio right up until I put razor to face. Then the radio is off until completion of my face shave and usually until completion of the head shave.

I am lucky- the wife isn't that noisy (unless I rile here up:001_smile)

DE_Dude
04-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Hey DE Dude, can you recommend some examples of Balkan folk music? I like a band called "Beirut" a lot and I hear they have Balkan influences. I would love to delve deeper into the style.

I know Beirut, too--one of my friends asked me to play The Penalty on cello for his wedding. His friends played ukelele and drums with me.

Safet Isovic's Moj Dilbere is my all time old school favorite, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGC_8-YE5Tk

Mostar Sevdah Reunion's Cije je Ono Djevojce is a little more modern, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HygOE9vuvw

I like Edo Maajka too, he's a rapper who uses Balkan style beats. He snuck into the playlist with the other guys. :001_cool:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cHktBRUO9M

:lol:

binowatch
04-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I like complete silence while shaving. It is one of the few times of the day to enjoy that. If you want music for dangerous shaves I suggest Wagner or perhaps Carmina Burana.

M80
04-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Epic music for "dangerous" shaves?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnmCu3U09w

bhorsoft
04-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Nothing like Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" for a truly epic, dangerous shave. Goes especially well with that aftershave feels like napalm in the morning.:spockflam

Luc
04-09-2011, 05:03 PM
I always have the radio on while shaving, usually, classic rock from the 70s...

fireengineer2004
04-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Nothing like Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" for a truly epic, dangerous shave. Goes especially well with that aftershave feels like napalm in the morning.:spockflam

Also 'stones: can't get no satisfaction - especially if you know the movies images noted with these two. :thumbup: The intro to 2001 is also spectacular :thumbup1:

but I personally like it quiet when I shave....:tongue_sm

ffhower
04-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Lately I have also added music to my morning shave. My music of choice has been Rise Against, a little Metallica and anything that gets the blood flowing.

DadisDrunk
04-09-2011, 06:58 PM
I know Beirut, too--one of my friends asked me to play The Penalty on cello for his wedding. His friends played ukelele and drums with me.

Safet Isovic's Moj Dilbere is my all time old school favorite, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGC_8-YE5Tk

Mostar Sevdah Reunion's Cije je Ono Djevojce is a little more modern, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HygOE9vuvw

I like Edo Maajka too, he's a rapper who uses Balkan style beats. He snuck into the playlist with the other guys. :001_cool:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cHktBRUO9M

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Dubbya
04-09-2011, 07:03 PM
yeah I listen to Bathory while shaving! usually something epic like "Twilight Of The Gods" or "Blood, Fire, Death" :w00t:

This morning I was shaving to the sounds of Enslaved. Nothing like Metal sung in Old Norse to get the blood pumping.

DavyRay
04-09-2011, 07:05 PM
I like complete silence while shaving. It is one of the few times of the day to enjoy that. If you want music for dangerous shaves I suggest Wagner or perhaps Carmina Burana.

Good Choices!

DE_Dude
04-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Glad I could help!

Good music so far, gents. We fine people here at B&B have good tastes.

Foyle
04-09-2011, 07:40 PM
I like hearing the whiskers being cut off as my razor glides over my face. I even turn off the vent fan in the bathroom while shaving. If I did listen to music while shaving however it might be something from John Williams Plays Barrios.

T-Dog
04-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I play "Flight of the Valkyries" at full volume while I shave!

Miles
04-09-2011, 08:55 PM
This is the most epic shave music possible.

_dnZHea_TI0

ouch
04-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I prefer some soothing death metal for my morning shave.

oc_in_fw
04-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I prefer some soothing death metal for my morning shave.

death metal is only good for getting Hall and Oates songs out of your head:001_smile

Sir Ronald
04-10-2011, 12:46 AM

while not strictly 70's, I usually put on Men At Works "Business As Usual" for my shower/shave ritual. great album; Australian; and the album title works for me :wink2:

This morning I was shaving to the sounds of Enslaved. Nothing like Metal sung in Old Norse to get the blood pumping.

great choice! :thumbup:

those Norse warriors singing about ancient gods and primitive times... well its the antitheses of the whole plastic cartridge shaving that we despise.
I see a correlation anyway :lol:

("Yggdrassill", "Hordanes Land" & "Vikingligr Veldr" is some of the finest metal ever recorded :thumbup1: )

YetiDave
04-10-2011, 02:27 AM
Woah, wasn't expecting to see any other metalheads on here when I signed up! Think I'll be listening to The Monolith Deathcult this morning but you can't beat Carmina Burana - 'O Fortuna' for epicness :D

Nosferatu
04-10-2011, 03:05 AM
Alltså, pöjkar, vikingarna hade *skägg*...

Myself I rather like slower and softer music while shaving. Its inevitably early morning, and I'll save the bloodchurning chiansaws of good metal for the commute.

Paint it black! Now theres my shavetime favourite of the moment.

M80
04-10-2011, 05:06 AM
I don't normally shave to music, but maybe i'll try this today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwlu2umant0

ouch
04-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Rossini wrote much better music than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_boI5ChieE&feature=related

Ignatius
04-10-2011, 11:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCfWHqrYUqo

sharky007
04-10-2011, 12:00 PM
:thumbup1:COOL.....

Ignatius
04-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I shave evenly and with care, in silence, seriously.

M80
04-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Rossini wrote much better music than that.

Perhaps, but shouting "Hi ho Silver!" while shaving would just feel funny to anything else.

dmachine
04-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Mars, Bringer of War by Gustav Holst

Bemusd
04-10-2011, 12:45 PM
What a great fun thread.
For me its hard to beat Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.
Any clever chap able to put up the you tube thingy?

The previously suggested Orff's O Fortuna from Carmina Burana would go down well also. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxiv3CBMS4M

mikey
04-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Perhaps "Dueling Banjos" from Deliverance ???

Thanks,
Mike

CptBlueBear
04-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Dangerous shaving music? Try ZZ Top's La Grange or Judas Priest's Breakin' the Law (we used to use latter as background music playing Doom). I think both would be a bad idea...

death metal is only good for getting Hall and Oates songs out of your head:001_smile

I use Tom Waits or The Pogues. Nothing else seems to be game to stay in my head with either. Unfortunately, both were habitually unshaven.

Perhaps "Dueling Banjos" from Deliverance ???

Only if you shave on the back porch with a bowl and a straight razor.

gabern8tor
04-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I like dirty, bluesy, 'old skool' stuff when I shave. The first two albums by The Kills, some White Stripes, and the classics like some good old John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson...that kind of stuff really gets me into the right frame of mind to pull out my old Gillettes and get busy.

It's not the only kind of music I like, but I'm pretty sure if I throw on some Black Flag or Slipknot - I'll end up in the emergency room. :001_cool:

gabern8tor
04-10-2011, 10:38 PM
I use Tom Waits or The Pogues. Nothing else seems to be game to stay in my head with either. Unfortunately, both were habitually unshaven.

I'm gonna have to give those a try; big fan of both and I can see how those could work quite well... :thumbup1:

gash
04-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Lately I have also added music to my morning shave. My music of choice has been Rise Against, a little Metallica and anything that gets the blood flowing.

Uh...are you sure you want to get the blood flowing while you're shaving? Hee-hee!

Other ideas:

The theme music from Dexter
The col legno part of Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique - makes me think of blood dripping
Blood Sport by J Dilla

maxman
04-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Music can either set a mood or destroy it completely.
* If I want to get pumped/stoked I'll listen to some metal from my youthful days (Pantera, Megadeth, &c.)
* If I want to hit that zone in the back of my brain where life is strange and beautiful I'll listen to Tool.
* If I'm angry or want to get all riled up, I'll listen to Rage Against the Machine.
* If I want to hit that zone in the middle of my brain, far away up in the ether, I'll listen to Ambient Techno (Massive Attack, Orb, &c.)
* If I want to scramble the senses, up is down, left is right and focus on task becomes 100% I'll only put on one band. The Crystal Method (Vegas preferrably)

DVM2012
04-11-2011, 07:45 AM
The Doors "Peace Frog" has an awesome riff that I love, though the blood imagery makes me hesitant to listen to it during the morning shave. :lol: I actually used to listen to music while I shaved, but lately it's been just talk radio. Music tends to make me want to sing, and that would be a very bad thing while shaving. :lol:

DE_Dude
04-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Dangerous shaving music? Try ZZ Top's La Grange or Judas Priest's Breakin' the Law (we used to use latter as background music playing Doom).

Awesome. :thumbup1:

Only if you shave on the back porch with a bowl and a straight razor.

bew47
04-12-2011, 12:26 AM
I imagine the first time I use a straight I'll listen to something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

franz
04-12-2011, 01:06 AM
The sound of the razor's usually music enough for me.

Anyway, here's another one: Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain.

iCEDfZgDPS8

I like dirty, bluesy, 'old skool' stuff .... the classics like some good old John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson...that kind of stuff really gets me into the right frame of mind to pull out my old Gillettes and get busy.

Nothing like some good old Delta blues to shave by. :thumbup:

I shave evenly and with care, in silence, seriously.

I shave like Kinch, the loveliest mummer of them all!

Bemusd
04-12-2011, 02:17 AM
What a great fun thread.
For me its hard to beat Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.
Any clever chap able to put up the you tube thingy?

The previously suggested Orff's O Fortuna from Carmina Burana would go down well also. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxiv3CBMS4M

Now thats clever :thumbup:

CptBlueBear
04-12-2011, 03:07 AM
Anyway, here's another one: Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain.

I just listened to it again and the whole Pictures at an Exhibition suite would work -

Promenade for making lather
Gnomus for lathering up
Promenade Interlude to let the lather do it's magic
Castllo for first pass
etc

Have a listen and see what I mean!

Maybe some Greig although In the Hall of the Mountain King might be a recipe for disaster.

Nothing like some good old Delta blues to shave by. :thumbup:

I gotta hand a mirror on the back porch and crank up John Lee Hooker. Boom, boom, boom, gonna shoot ya right down...

I imagine the first time I use a straight I'll listen to something like this:

Far too ominous. Try Jupiter or Saturn instead for your own safety :lol:

ouch
04-12-2011, 05:51 AM
I just listened to it again and the whole Pictures at an Exhibition suite would work -

Promenade for making lather
Gnomus for lathering up
Promenade Interlude to let the lather do it's magic
Castllo for first pass
etc

Have a listen and see what I mean!

I tried that several times, but every time I would get to Catacombae: Sepulcrum Romanum; Cum mortuis in lingua mortua, my sink would rattle so much all of my gear would end up on the floor.

http://boxset.ru/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/cover_small55.jpg

If anyone wants a copy of this notorious bass monster, let me know.

Dubbya
04-12-2011, 10:31 AM
while not strictly 70's, I usually put on Men At Works "Business As Usual" for my shower/shave ritual. great album; Australian; and the album title works for me :wink2:

great choice! :thumbup:

those Norse warriors singing about ancient gods and primitive times... well its the antitheses of the whole plastic cartridge shaving that we despise.
I see a correlation anyway :lol:

("Yggdrassill", "Hordanes Land" & "Vikingligr Veldr" is some of the finest metal ever recorded :thumbup1: )

You forgot In Chains Until Ragnarok. Very good example of viking metal.

I also see the correlation between the more primitive sound and the less "advanced" shaving equipment. None of that lift, cut, lift some more, cut a little more, lift again, and a final cut that falls back in place just below the surface of the skin and gives razor burn. I'll have my live edge and good form any day.

Mötorhead this morning. Mean Machine with a Fatboy on 9 with a Feather. Now that is a dangerous shave.:001_cool:

Edvinoo
04-12-2011, 10:43 AM

Haha, you have got to be kidding me !..

Where are you from ?

I am originally from Bosnia and the songs you linked are some of my favorites!

CptBlueBear
04-14-2011, 11:55 PM
I tried that several times, but every time I would get to Catacombae: Sepulcrum Romanum; Cum mortuis in lingua mortua, my sink would rattle so much all of my gear would end up on the floor.

http://boxset.ru/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/cover_small55.jpg

If anyone wants a copy of this notorious bass monster, let me know.

So, you need to vibration isolate the sink. I suggest some rubber sheet or old bicycle inner tubes cut into strips and inserted between the sink and the wall. If that doesn't do it, mount the whole sink on springs.

Or, you could turn the volume down...

DE_Dude
04-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Haha, you have got to be kidding me !..

Where are you from ?

I am originally from Bosnia and the songs you linked are some of my favorites!

Awesome! I'm from Texas but my Croatian gf got me started on the music. I think I like it better than she does. She also got me my first DE (Merkur), and visiting Croatia gave me a great chance to try lots of cheap wetshaving gear!!! :w00t: I almost passed out in the store when I smelled Ralon aftershave, though. :lol: That is a hardcore, manly smell. It made my Aqua Velva smell like CK One.

Mötorhead this morning. Mean Machine with a Fatboy on 9 with a Feather. Now that is a dangerous shave.:001_cool:

Man, some of you guys listen to really hardcore stuff when you shave. This must be where the B&B bad boys hang out. :001_cool:

Edvinoo
04-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Awesome! I'm from Texas but my Croatian gf got me started on the music. I think I like it better than she does. She also got me my first DE (Merkur), and visiting Croatia gave me a great chance to try lots of cheap wetshaving gear!!! :w00t: I almost passed out in the store when I smelled Ralon aftershave, though. :lol: That is a hardcore, manly smell. It made my Aqua Velva feel like CK One.

Man, some of you guys listen to really hardcore stuff when you shave. This must be where the B&B bad boys hang out. :001_cool:

Haha, that explains it. But od that she is from Croatia but listens ( from what you posted ) only Bosnian music. She has good taste :thumbup:

DE_Dude
04-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Haha, that explains it. But od that she is from Croatia but listens ( from what you posted ) only Bosnian music. She has good taste :thumbup:

What can I say, you have good music. :thumbup1:

Edvinoo
04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
What can I say, you have good music. :thumbup1:

Then you have to listen to "Dino Merlin"... There is not one song from that man that I dont love....

goNad
04-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Music can either set a mood or destroy it completely.
* If I want to get pumped/stoked I'll listen to some metal from my youthful days (Pantera, Megadeth, &c.)
* If I want to hit that zone in the back of my brain where life is strange and beautiful I'll listen to Tool.
* If I'm angry or want to get all riled up, I'll listen to Rage Against the Machine.
* If I want to hit that zone in the middle of my brain, far away up in the ether, I'll listen to Ambient Techno (Massive Attack, Orb, &c.)
* If I want to scramble the senses, up is down, left is right and focus on task becomes 100% I'll only put on one band. The Crystal Method (Vegas preferrably)

All of these (and many more) are on my iPod and I shave every morning with it cranked and in shuffle mode..!

Gotta ROCK to get started in the morning..!

The Pontificator
04-15-2011, 01:02 PM
"Kill the Wabbit"

ROTFLMAO! :lol:

The Pontificator
04-15-2011, 01:03 PM
All I want to hear is the sound of that blade cutting those whiskers and the sound of that razor being swished in the sink.

Deacon Frank
04-15-2011, 01:06 PM
I've had a couple of shaves where afterward, the theme from Schindler's List would have been appropriate... :blink:

The Pontificator
04-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Or perhaps the "Sabre Dance" by Aram Khachaturian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqg3l3r_DRI