PDA

View Full Version : Bring the shine back?

King Bongo
03-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Hi guys, I'm working on my first restore. The brush is a Simms. I have removed the knot with no problems. I am looking to bring the shine back to this tired looking handle, any recommendations on the best way to do this. here is a pick of the handle

Also if anyone knows anything about this particular handle I'd be interested in hearing that.

On the bottom of the handle it says: (I tried to get a pic, but my camera is no good)

Simms - made in Canada
Set in rubber
Sterilized

thanks,

Brownbear
03-06-2011, 12:21 PM
That looks in great shape. I have a couple buffers so for that I would start gently with a red rouge and finish on a stick made to polish soft metals and plastic. Then a hand rub with one of several polishes I have.

By hand you could probably use a rubbing compound followed by a polish with Flitz or the like.

If it has scratches I can't see in the photo light sanding with high grit wet-dry followed by compound and polish should do it.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Trenton
03-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Sean I have one of those in Badger it is a great brush. On another thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=195034 they are saying tooth paste. I have also used those micro mesh pads with water and it seems to work well. You most likely have tooth paste around the house so give it a try first. Here is a picture of mine on on the left with original price tag of $7.50

King Bongo
03-06-2011, 04:33 PM
thanks for the advice guys. I will try to toothpaste option and see where it goes from there.

I got this brush as a freebie added in with a box full of straight blades I'm planning on restoring. 12 blades and the brush for $10, can't really go wrong there.

I'll post pics as I go along.

Trenton, what size knot did you use with your handle?

Trenton
03-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Sean I got mine new in box, original price was $7.50. It is most likely best badger, it is a nice brush to use, lots of back bone but soft.

I see you are in Fergus I might be there this summer for CanIron the Canadian Blacksmithing Conference.

King Bongo
03-06-2011, 06:28 PM
thanks for the info Trenton, if you find yourself here for the conference, let me know, maybe we can meet up for a beer or something.

Trenton
03-06-2011, 07:11 PM
thanks for the info Trenton, if you find yourself here for the conference, let me know, maybe we can meet up for a beer or something.

Shall Do