PDA

View Full Version : Need Pipe Tobbacco Suggestions

Inked Daddy
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Gents... the past few weeks I started my pipe smoking adventure and have been strictly smoking drug store pouch tobaccos. I know at this point Capt. Black-White is my favorite. Half & Half and Prince Albert were much to harsh for me... I know for now I am an Aromatics man.

I am ready to move up to better aromatic tobaccos. I have looked at the myriad things available and I am lost in the sheer volume of what is out there. I am looking for something fairly decent, perhaps a tin in the $10 - $15 dollar range.

I need suggestions for a mild to medium aromatic with a very pleasant room note (My wife is gracious enough to let me smoke in the house). :thumbup:

Thanks!

ouch
01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Most serious pipe smokers will thumb their nose at aromatics, but Blue Note is fairly interesting.

Inked Daddy
01-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Most serious pipe smokers will thumb their nose at aromatics, but Blue Note is fairly interesting.

Maybe I should try some better non-aromatics... the cheap stuff may have turned me off.

RazoRock
01-11-2011, 06:30 PM
My favorite offerings are the McClelland Virginia tobaccos... you may want to try with some McCranie's Red Ribbon or McClelland Bulk 5100; both are stellar in my opinion.

ouch
01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
If your local shop doesn't carry any McClelland Virginia tobaccos, just load your bowl with anything, pour in a tablespoon of ketchup, and light. :thumbup1:

Blue_2
01-11-2011, 06:36 PM
If your wife lets you smoke indoors, and you want to continue, then aromatics are the ticket. Latakia and oriental blends will usually get you get kicked outside. Here's a few suggestions for aromatics.

Scotty's Butternut Burley
C&D Autumn Evening
Lane 1Q, RLP-6, BCA
McClelland Town Topic

Greglam
01-11-2011, 06:53 PM
If your wife lets you smoke indoors, and you want to continue, then aromatics are the ticket. Most latakia and oriental blends will usually get you get kicked outside. Here's a few suggestions for aromatics.

C&D Autumn Evening
Lane 1Q, RLP-6, BCA
McClelland Town Topic
+1 on the Lane suggestions. In fact, I smoke a 50/50 blend of Lane 1-Q and BCA and I get no end of compliments on how good it smells.

kg0mz
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
I know guys who have smoked Capt'n Black for many years, and wouldn't try anything different. Can't stand the stuff myself. I rarely smoke aromatics, but Erinmore flake is ok as a change of pace, every now & then. Same with Samuel Gawith Firedance. Not bad for a mild berry flavored flake of quality tobacco. Gawith & Hoggarth Rum Flake starts with very nice tobacco before adding a mild top note. I think if you go with a flake you are generally ok. Aromatic ribbons tend to smoke hot and goopy. YMMV.

jwhite
01-11-2011, 07:36 PM
There are some quality aromatics some of which have been mentioned. I'd second the butternut burly and Autumn Evening. Also take a look at the flake suggestions from SG and G&H although SG can be hard to find. You should know that berry flavors really ghost a pipe as well as the floral flakes so you should think about getting a cob for tasting, that way you don't get a flavor you don't care for suck in your favorite pipe. Also take a look at C&D's, the maker of Autumn Evening, other aromatics as well as Pipeworks and Wilke, both use good quality tobaccos and natural flavorings.

I like a broad spectrum of tobaccos, while high octane straight tobac is my my standard fare, I equally enjoy my flowery Lakeland flakes, and have a GBD devoted to Firedance. I encourage you to experiment and try a variety of styles, my wife doesent mind most of my English and Orientals. However if aromatics our your thing then good for you, and you can take some solace that many of those who might look down upon the breed are shivering while you're enjoying the comfort of your home in the company of your wife.:sailor:

RichGem
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Any thoughts on the CAO/Dan aromatics? I just picked up a tin of the vanilla, but have yet to open it.

binowatch
01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Question on phone to tobacconist: Do you have Prince Albert in a can?
Answer from tobacconist: Yes
Response from caller: Then let him out! My long gone Grandfather who owned a Confectionary/Stationery store in the 1920's-1950's used to get that as a crank call from kids all the time.

Blue_2
01-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Any thoughts on the CAO/Dan aromatics? I just picked up a tin of the vanilla, but have yet to open it.I have no personal experience with them, but they have a decent reputation. Dan Tobacco's 'Blue Note' gets decent reviews.

Commander Quan
01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
The best Aros I have smoked have been Boswells aromatics. They are not your typical goopy tobaccos and actually have flavor. You can only buy their stuff from them, and you can't order online, you need to call them, but they are very easy to work with and it's definitely worth it. www.boswellpipes.com

Royall Lyme
01-12-2011, 09:58 AM
May I suggest 2 tobaccos from the house of Samuel Gawith:

Best Brown Flake - Virginia
Squadron Leader - English blend of Latakia, Virginia, & Turkish

If you must go aromatic:
BCA (Black Cavendish Aromatic) by Lane

MacBaren offers two of my favorites:
Mixture
Virginia No. 1

I dont think you could wrong with any of these choices. They "taste" excellent and have pleasant room notes (dont smell bad).

stroppy
01-12-2011, 03:26 PM
I suspect that many "advanced" smokers started with aromatics then moved on to English style mixes. If they were battling some of those PG soaked bowl burblers out there I can understand their disdain of the aromatic genre. My taste in tobaccos is fairly catholic and I still enjoy good aromatics.

My recommendation to you is 4Noggins Bald Headed Teacher. It offers a good Burley taste with some nice Virginia, just a touch of Latakia and it burns well with a pleasant room note. And because of the fact that there's actually something to taste here I think it helps new smokers slow down a bit and not smoke "hot."

Inked Daddy
01-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations. I had no idea that aromatics were frowned apon so much. I suspect eventually I might move away from them as my palatte changes.

mikey
01-12-2011, 04:26 PM
I can't help you with aromatics but here are my favorite tinned blends:

AC Petersen Escudo
Dunhill Light Flake
Dunhill Nightcap
Esoterica Penzance
Orlik Golden Sliced

Thanks,
Mike

BBchew
01-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Try Mick McQuaid plug or square cut (in tin).

Plug is just a big square block of 50g that you need to cut/rub before you smoke it. I simply peel them off from the side rub it a bit then leave it to air for 5 mins before I smoke it. Very nice and does not burn.

:thumbup1:

Commander Quan
01-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations. I had no idea that aromatics were frowned apon so much. I suspect eventually I might move away from them as my palatte changes.

There is nothing wrong with aros. There are some pipesmokers that like to puff up there chest and tell others that they are subpar, and while there are aromatics that are the pipe smoking equivalent of gooey shaving gel there are others that are quality tobacco andcan be quite delicious depending on your pallet. If flavored tobacco are your thing right now enjoy them and if your pallet changes embrace those new flavors.

Blue_2
01-12-2011, 07:06 PM
I had no idea that aromatics were frowned apon so much.They've gotten a bad reputation because of some bad blends and some ghosting. Every aromatic isn't bad, just like every cartridge, glycerin soap, inexpensive brush isn't.

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. There's no need to 'move on' if you like what you're smoking. Keep an open mind, try a wide range of things, and judge for yourself. As previously mentioned, some long time pipe smokers swear by Captain Black.

LegalEagle143
01-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I started "experimenting" this past summer. In addition to these suggestions, there are some great "review" type websites for tobacco. I've only tried a few - McClelland's Aurora, Capt. Black - White, Half & Half (my great uncle smoked it, so I had to try it). I would recommend trying some of the McClelland stuff. I enjoy mine.

OldSaw
01-12-2011, 08:25 PM
If your local shop doesn't carry any McClelland Virginia tobaccos, just load your bowl with anything, pour in a tablespoon of ketchup, and light. :thumbup1:

Hey, this isn't a Williams thread.

OldSaw
01-12-2011, 08:27 PM
If your wife lets you smoke indoors, and you want to continue, then aromatics are the ticket. Latakia and oriental blends will usually get you get kicked outside. Here's a few suggestions for aromatics.

C&D Autumn Evening
Lane 1Q, RLP-6, BCA
McClelland Town Topic

But they should get you kicked up stairs to the head office. You know what most Latakia blends need? Just a little more Latakia.

WECIII
01-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Blue Note and Lane 1-Q are tasty. I also am currently working through a tin of Peterson Sunset Breeze and enjoying it. The Sunset Breeze has an amaretto casing, and I do get compliments on the room note while smoking it.

Tommy Boy
01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
I've read good things online about Boswell's tobacco - and I'd second the recommendation on Mac Baren's Mixture. It's quite good.

From the Mac Baren site:

"Mixture does not consist of one dominant taste, but a profusion of different nuances of flavour that keep changing - all from a single tamp of tobacco. Mixture is a mild tobacco with good body without being strong. This is an important reason why Mixture is the preferred brand among many pipe smokers worldwide and has been for many years."

http://www.mac-baren.com/BundMenu/Products/Available-tobaccos-in-your-country/Mixture-2.aspx

Their wording is a bit flowery, but the tobacco is flavorful and not overpowering. It's got a wide mixture of Virginias, Burleys, and Cavendish, as well as an added aromatic flavor.

Another suggestion would be to visit a local store and inquire about their house blends - as most are aromatics. You can go from there.....

Tommy Boy

Inked Daddy
01-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Lots of good suggestions Gents... At least this gives me an educated list to start working on now.

elmuncy
01-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Take your time, experiment with different mixtures. Over time your tastes will change. Don't let anyone tell you what to like. There are very good aromatics out there. Time will tell

RobAtSGH
01-14-2011, 06:54 PM
I equally enjoy my flowery Lakeland flakes, and have a GBD devoted to Firedance.

Is Firedance Flake still available? I've had the pleasure of meeting June "Firedancer" Starke, the woman for whom that tobacco was created, a number of times at various pipe shows. Interesting lady.

jwhite
01-14-2011, 11:49 PM
All SG tobacco is in short supply but they still make and distribute it.

Psicko
01-17-2011, 08:36 AM
The problem with aromatics and begginers, is they tend to try and get more taste out of the blend by puffing more vigourously. That only leads to tounge burn, especially if it is lower grade aromatics. I started with aro's, but just recently started getting back into quality aro's from time to time when I want a change. I suggest try all the tobacco you can. If you have a tobacco shop, they will let you try the bulk blends before you buy.

ryeblade
01-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Clearly the choices are limitless. If you are fortunate enough to live near a 'real' tobacco store take a few pipes and/or get a few cobs, make an acquaintance with the proprietor and have them guide you.
Samplers are available from some of the blenders ie, Cornell & Diehl (they will chat with you on the phone), Home & Hearth (Russ O), etc
www.tobaccoreviews.com is not unlike this sites reviews, there is rarely consensus but is full of information.
Buying tobaccos can be much like finding the perfect razor/blade combination. Some find what works and the other devil is seeking the Holy Grail in spite of what works.
As usual YMMV, Happy Trails!

OldSaw
01-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Clearly the choices are limitless. If you are fortunate enough to live near a 'real' tobacco store take a few pipes and/or get a few cobs, make an acquaintance with the proprietor and have them guide you.
Samplers are available from some of the blenders ie, Cornell & Diehl (they will chat with you on the phone), Home & Hearth (Russ O), etc
www.tobaccoreviews.com is not unlike this sites reviews, there is rarely consensus but is full of information.
Buying tobaccos can be much like finding the perfect razor/blade combination. Some find what works and the other devil is seeking the Holy Grail in spite of what works.
As usual YMMV, Happy Trails!

So have you found your perfect blend yet? I'm still looking, problem is I don't get enough pipe time.

ryeblade
01-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Good point Old Saw. At this point I do have several favorites. While I do try new blends entry into the rotation is far less frequent than it used to be. Tastes do change over decades as well.
Saw an interview with one of the big boys at the MacBarens plant. He commented that when smoking was more permissible ie on commute busses, at work etc the blends were sharper (read:tongue bite) as the tongue became inured to the sting. Now that there is less opportunity to smoke as frequently the MacBaren blends have been toned down with the exception of Virginia #1 which even the head honcho winces at.
There may be some distinction between curiosity and a gnawing dissatisfaction.
Jus' sayin'.

stroppy
01-18-2011, 10:15 AM
There may be some distinction between curiosity and a gnawing dissatisfaction.

Good point there, yourself.

Argonaut
01-20-2011, 07:15 AM
I am trying Butternut Burley for the first time based on the recommendations from this thread. I am loving it, can't think of a better beginners tobacco. Great flavor and smokes extremely cool. Very unusual for an aeromatic, definately a must try for new pipesmokers. Wish I had found this years ago, thanks to all who suggested it.

RichGem
01-20-2011, 07:53 AM
I am trying Butternut Burley for the first time based on the recommendations from this thread. I am loving it, can't think of a better beginners tobacco. Great flavor and smokes extremely cool. Very unusual for an aeromatic, definately a must try for new pipesmokers. Wish I had found this years ago, thanks to all who suggested it.

Based on one smoke, mind you, I can also recommend C&D Autumn Evening.

Argonaut
01-20-2011, 09:06 AM

It's on my list to try, it was a coin flip between butternut and Autumn evening.:thumbup1:

BBrad
01-21-2011, 03:28 PM

I just enjoyed my second bowl of AE . . . I'd still recommend it!! :thumbup1:

col conk
01-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Hey, this isn't a Williams thread.

That gives me an Idea : A bowel of milled Williams and ketchup. ::001_rolle

I smoke aromatics all the time (Bulk tobaccos from a local tabacco store) and I enjoy them. Autum evening does sound interesting.

I havent tried any of these suggestions, but I am taking notes. Thanks guys!

Drummer2177
01-24-2011, 04:47 AM
I second Boswells. I drove up there last Friday and purchased a nice handmade briar pipe, and several aromatic blends. I like the Berry Cobbler and Sweet Dreams. Give them a try.

Laney1566
01-25-2011, 02:51 PM
I am an English smoker myself, but I have blended some with an aromatic called Black Walnut. 4 oz to the pound. I preferred using Dunhill Early Morning Pipe till it's demise as the base.
Mac Baren Tobaccos might be a good choice for you.

The Dark Twist is pleasant. But I prefer Scottish Mixture.

Bloodhound
01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Anothe suggestion...if you liked the Capt. Black, try MacBaren 7 Seas Regular...it a newer blend and will give you the taste of the Cat. Black with a high quality tobacco...giving it a much richer flavor

gtoface
01-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Do yourself a huge favor and order from boswell pipes. They make Making mixes Me ship them out. I'm 29 and smoke pipe on weekends and such. They have every damn smell flavor scent whatever you wanna call it. Plus he made me a huge bowl wizard style pipe in the color I wanted and everything. Hands down by far the best place on the planet .. and they keep your name on the computer and what you Baught so all you have to do is call and say replenish my Fav tobacco and sent right put. Great people

Salty O'Rourke
01-30-2011, 06:57 PM
You are getting some good suggestions as to what to try. Since you may be tempted to try some other drugstore brands, I'm going to suggest one aromatic to stay away from.

Under no cirucumstances, ever, should you smoke Mixture #79.

Truly the most dreadful pipe tobacco devised by man, it will linger in any pipe it's burned in. It's vile. Don't say I didn't warn you. If you're jonesing for a smoke and the only tobacco in the only store in town is Mixture #79, buy it, remove the pouch, dump the tobacco, discard the pouch, then shred the box and smoke that.

Psicko
01-30-2011, 08:26 PM
+1 to salty Oroaks post.

Avoid that like a tijuana hooker.

Inked Daddy
01-31-2011, 03:33 PM
*Update

I placed an order for some Escudo and Autumn evening last night after a friend introduced them to me with a sampler. Unfortunately now all my my drug store stuff mainly tastes like crap to me now. Boy that was a quick transition!

RichGem
01-31-2011, 03:59 PM
*Update

I placed an order for some Escudo and Autumn evening last night after a friend introduced them to me with a sampler. Unfortunately now all my my drug store stuff mainly tastes like crap to me now. Boy that was a quick transition!

:yesnod: ... which is somewhat saddening to me... my grandfather smoked "Half and Half" and the room note reminds me of him. However, I find the stuff unsmokeable and overly goopy in the bowl.

Inked Daddy
01-31-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm keeping my Capt. Black White though.

woodfluter
01-31-2011, 11:13 PM
*Update

Doesn't surprise me a bit - been there, done that long ago. A common story. But if you get the chance do locate a really good tobacconist, the kind that has his own blends and also sells other good pipe mixtures, and set a spell. If any good, they'll enjoy discussing the subtleties and let you try this and that. It's well worth a trip.

- Bill

Inked Daddy
02-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Doesn't surprise me a bit - been there, done that long ago. A common story. But if you get the chance do locate a really good tobacconist, the kind that has his own blends and also sells other good pipe mixtures, and set a spell. If any good, they'll enjoy discussing the subtleties and let you try this and that. It's well worth a trip.

- Bill

I see you are in Atlanta... do you know of a good shop in the metro area?

77Plymouth
02-03-2011, 05:30 AM
I see you are in Atlanta... do you know of a good shop in the metro area?

Edward's up in Buckhead is the only one I know of. They have a decent estate pipe collection there too - bought a Castello Sea Rock there a few years ago and it was a real beauty. Good group of guys. There might be another shop elsewhere but most of the other shops I know about are cigar shops with very little pipe knowledge.

You can just take a road trip to McCranie's!

brady
02-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Edwards is good if you want bulk tobacco but I find their tin selection very limited. They are very nice and knowledgeable as well.

Puff N Stuff (http://www.yelp.com/biz/puff-n-stuff-fine-cigars-and-accessories-decatur) on the other side of town is mainly a cigar store but they have an impressive tin selection.

If you ever road trip to Birmingham you have to check out The Briary (http://www.thebriary.com/). They have it all.

77Plymouth
02-03-2011, 08:40 AM
The Briary is indeed a great pipe shop. Sadly, there really isn't a place in Atlanta you could call a "complete" pipe shop a la Briary or McCranie's. It's been that way for years too...

Joe Frances
02-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Try Pipeworks & Wilke up in Vermont. Carole's aromatics are fantastic, and not too sweet, but delicious for the smoker. She is great to work with, and everything is top quality. Never harsh, and very pleasant room notes, you will love these tobaccos. My absolute favorite is Pipemaker's Blend-- it is a light aromatic with a touch of English, and it is so pleasant and the room note is so exquisite that you just might fall in love. My only hesitation is it may not be absolutely right for someone new to pipes, but again the aromatics here are pretty grown up, and are not hot, rough, too sweet.

dws1028
02-13-2011, 11:01 PM
No. They ARE bad. For smoking that is. Aromatics ONLY exist for the sake of the non-smoker (actually for the sake of the smoker who is tire of being told to stop smoking or go outside.) Aromatics were NOT designed to be a good tasting experience for the pipe smoker. A true pipe smoker wants the taste of the tobacco-not the tobacco mixed with chemicals for the sake of the bystanders. You don't see cigar smokers enduring a worse smoke for the sake of pedestrians do you? No way. Stick with straight tobacco-tastes MUCH better.

col conk
02-14-2011, 12:43 AM
No. They ARE bad. For smoking that is. Aromatics ONLY exist for the sake of the non-smoker (actually for the sake of the smoker who is tire of being told to stop smoking or go outside.) Aromatics were NOT designed to be a good tasting experience for the pipe smoker. A true pipe smoker wants the taste of the tobacco-not the tobacco mixed with chemicals for the sake of the bystanders. You don't see cigar smokers enduring a worse smoke for the sake of pedestrians do you? No way. Stick with straight tobacco-tastes MUCH better.

AXIOMS :001_rolle How I HATE them.

Don’t be AFRAID to expand YOUR horizons . But PLEASE smoke what YOU like and don’t let ANYBODY tell YOU what you SHOULD LIKE.

Blue Raccoon
02-14-2011, 08:11 AM
nothing wrong with aro's

these as suggested are good..
C&D Autumn Evening

I would add take a look at Boswell and Peter Stokkebye both do some nice aro's.

Sunset Breeze & Sweet Killarney, Peterson
Firedance Flake, Samuel Gawith
Sundays Fantasy, Radfords

As a good all around everyday smoke I highly recommend you try some Trout Stream.

BarbaBowie
02-14-2011, 04:52 PM
I would recommend McClelland Dark Star

Here's the Tin description:
"Years before tinning, this tobacco begins as bright yellow, sugary top grade Virginia and Carolina leaf. Through careful triple aging, pressing and stoving, it becomes rich, cool and dark. A seductively spicy aroma develops during the extended maturing process to complement the complex flavor of this concentrated, smooth broken flake, which is easily rubbed out to suit any occasion."

It is delicious!

Blue_2
02-15-2011, 05:03 PM
AXIOMS :001_rolle How I HATE them.

Donít be AFRAID to expand YOUR horizons . But PLEASE smoke what YOU like and donít let ANYBODY tell YOU what you SHOULD LIKE.+100

Try everything unbiased and make up your own mind. :thumbup1:

Mark T
02-16-2011, 08:27 AM
I am currenrly enjoying some fine aro's from Milan (located in Roanoke VA).
I especially like Sunset Rum and Wall Street.
Also, try reading some reviews at tobaccoreviews.com. Enjoy!

scottish steve
02-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Try Mick McQuaid plug or square cut (in tin).

Plug is just a big square block of 50g that you need to cut/rub before you smoke it. I simply peel them off from the side rub it a bit then leave it to air for 5 mins before I smoke it. Very nice and does not burn.

:thumbup1:

Both those toabaccos are absolutely wonderful, but in no way aromatic!
I smoked Holland House for a few years myself, but rather than smoking food additives for your wife's benefit, I think you should try some milder tobacco-based tobaccos. I'd give McBaren's Navy Flake or McConnell's Scottish Cake a try. These are really, really nice, full of flavour, with no bitterness and are easy to manage. I think if you try Scottish Cake in particular, you'll be amazed at how complex, rich and pleasant real tobacco can be. Scottish Flake is a tiny bit stronger and more assertive, but get that if you can't get the cake.

LeFlaneur
02-28-2011, 12:08 PM
*Update

That's what happens. Being aromatic doesn't have to mean swimming in pg and flavored syrup. It can be done more subtly to accent good leaf rather than mask crappy leaf. They will still leave a ghost your in your briars though, so you might want to buy a few corncobs for your "experimental phase."

Right now I'm exploring the mind-boggling range of McClelland tobaccos -- so everything below is McClelland brand. Also, I tend to gravitate toward the orientals.

One inexpensive aromatic I like is Bulk 2050 - aka Oriental Cavendish. It's sweet and nutty and good as a desert smoke.

For a mild, light, very slightly cased Virginia I like Deep Hollow. Great smoke for a walk.

Their Grand Orientals series was a revelation - tobacco can be sweet, spicy, nutty, creamy all on it's own without any additives. My favorite in this series is Classic Samsun.

And of course, the Frog Morton series is a great way to dip a toe in the world of Latakia without going full-on English. Naturally I'm partial to Across the Pond.

Go wild and have fun.

Desertrat
03-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Try some of the lighter flavored aromatics at Iwan Ries...I have mail ordered from them many times and most of their stuff is very good quality.

HokieGeek
03-04-2011, 10:37 AM
so I just bought my first pipe from user drewmac. I'm an occasional cigar smoker and am looking to throw a pipe into it, particularly with aromatic tobacco since it'll mean the wife won't run away. There' plenty of suggestions on this thread, but no suggested online vendors. Should I be able to find Scotty's Butternut Burley or C&D Autumn Evening at my local cigar shop?

RichGem
03-04-2011, 10:39 AM
so I just bought my first pipe from user drewmac. I'm an occasional cigar smoker and am looking to throw a pipe into it, particularly with aromatic tobacco since it'll mean the wife won't run away. There' plenty of suggestions on this thread, but no suggested online vendors. Should I be able to find Scotty's Butternut Burley or C&D Autumn Evening at my local cigar shop?

pipesandcigars.com seems to have some good prices based on my own quick searches.

Autumn Evening is a must, btw.
As a cigar smoker, you may also like (non aromatic, but not stinky) Key Largo and/or Purple Cow.

jwhite
03-04-2011, 11:19 AM

The Butternut Burley is a private blend exclusive to Pipes and Cigars.com, C&D is widely distributed so if your local shop caries the brand they may have it. Pipes and Cigars has a pretty wide selection so if you're in the market for BB you can get other choices as well. If you smoke full cigars on a regular basis some aromatics may seem overly mild to you but the two you've suggested are well received and do provide a pleasant room note as well as decent flavor. Personally I don't go for the cigar leaf blends because I would rather smoke a cigar for that flavor profile. A good satisfying unscented tobacco that has a pleasant room note is Peterson's Irish oak. It's a solid medium bodied smoke that is easy to pack and light, good flavor without being overly strong or heavy yet is still satisfying.

RichGem
03-04-2011, 11:28 AM
The Butternut Burley is a private blend exclusive to Pipes and Cigars.com, C&D is widely distributed so if your local shop caries the brand they may have it. Pipes and Cigars has a pretty wide selection so if you're in the market for BB you can get other choices as well. If you smoke full cigars on a regular basis some aromatics may seem overly mild to you but the two you've suggested are well received and do provide a pleasant room note as well as decent flavor. Personally I don't go for the cigar leaf blends because I would rather smoke a cigar for that flavor profile. A good satisfying unscented tobacco that has a pleasant room note is Peterson's Irish oak. It's a solid medium bodied smoke that is easy to pack and light, good flavor without being overly strong or heavy yet is still satisfying.

Agreed that cigar tobaccos are not as satisfying as the real deal, but they also don't stink up a room the same as a real cigar either. When ya gotta smoke indoors and ya want a cigar....

HokieGeek
03-04-2011, 11:44 AM
That's good, I was wondering what else I should look at. I'll grab an Irish Oak then. I'm thinking one aromatic, one cigar-like for transitioning and one "standard". I don't smoke THAT often so 3 tins would probably last me.

Agreed that cigar tobaccos are not as satisfying as the real deal, but they also don't stink up a room the same as a real cigar either. When ya gotta smoke indoors and ya want a cigar....
So this brings up a question. How strong is the scent it leaves in a room? I used to smoke Drew Estates ACID Juicy Lucy (http://www.cigar-reviews.com/Drew-Estates/ACID-Juicy-Lucy/25) which is an aromatic cigar and that was the only one my wife wouldn't run away from while outside. How comparable is the scent distribution/strength to, say, a stick of incense?

RichGem
03-04-2011, 11:48 AM
That's good, I was wondering what else I should look at. I'll grab an Irish Oak then. I'm thinking one aromatic, one cigar-like for transitioning and one "standard". I don't smoke THAT often so 3 tins would probably last me.

So this brings up a question. How strong is the scent it leaves in a room? I used to smoke Drew Estates ACID Juicy Lucy (http://www.cigar-reviews.com/Drew-Estates/ACID-Juicy-Lucy/25) which is an aromatic cigar and that was the only one my wife wouldn't run away from while outside. How comparable is the scent distribution/strength to, say, a stick of incense?

Hmmm... cigar tobacco leaves definitely less "stank" then your standard cigar. I run an ionic air purifier and burn (a very nice) cinnamon-sandalwood incense while smoking, so I might not be the best judge. But, I haven't noticed any residual bad smell the next day, if that helps.

jwhite
03-04-2011, 12:49 PM

If your buying only one aero, I would get the C&D Autumn Evening. The Butternut Burly is nice and I recommend it but the AE is superior in my opinion. If your ordering from P&C they carried both in bulk last time I looked so you could try an ounce of each if you choose. If you pull the trigger before reading this don't worry about regrets both are worth trying.

HokieGeek
03-04-2011, 06:36 PM
If your buying only one aero, I would get the C&D Autumn Evening. The Butternut Burly is nice and I recommend it but the AE is superior in my opinion. If your ordering from P&C they carried both in bulk last time I looked so you could try an ounce of each if you choose. If you pull the trigger before reading this don't worry about regrets both are worth trying.

I haven't yet. I first want to peruse what the B&M near me has. But I'll probably wind up placing an order Sunday night or Monday. I figure the Autumn Evening, the Irish Oak and the Purple Cow sound pretty good to me. Thanks so much for your help, gents! :thumbup: